[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Afraid of afterlife, please help.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 12

File: 1.jpg (14KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
14KB, 852x480px
I don't know why, but for the past few day's I've been going through this crisis where I'm not sure if there's a god and the thought of the afterlife terrifies me.

I'm afraid of being aware. Like stuck in a black room for eternity. I know no one knows, but fuck I think of that possibility and I can't function. It keeps me up at night and I can't breathe.

I am okay with heaven/hell, reincarnation, simply not existing, but the idea of some black void there and scares me. How do I cope?

I've been reading about NDE's, research on rebirth, all that. But still. I need help.
>>
File: 040.jpg (70KB, 640x422px) Image search: [Google]
040.jpg
70KB, 640x422px
Don't worry anon.

Death is just like before birth

There is nothing.

Nothing to sense; nothing to process.

Empty.

Even if you were conscious to process it, there would be nothing to prove you were indeed still an individual.

You would never even be able to comprehend it and quickly the void would consume you.
>>
File: 1488723176496.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1488723176496.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>19058379
Ahhh fuck you, I used to have panic attacks about the nothingness. They're starting up again. Fuuuuuuuuuck
>>
>>19058399
And you base all this on nothing
>>
>>19059368
As the meme man once said, you should be happy that you get to die because for every one born person there's billions of possible humans that were never born and never experienced life. You're the lucky one
>>
You already experience "death". Try to remember what it was like before you were born. That's right, you weren't existing therefore passage of time and everything else was meaningless to you. After death you will just go back to that state.
>>
Reincarnation is real and Jesus backs it up in the Bible when he said John the Baptist was Elijah or Elias. You will continue onward, but be good to help ensure a good karma outcome.

I remember the beforelife and it's the same as the so-called afterlife.
>>
>>19059405
You're mistaken, at least in my case. I can't speak for others of course, but judging from the Internet, I am not special.
>>
>>19058379
>I am okay with hell

We'll see if you feel the same way when you're burning alive and having your teeth ripped out, with maximum awareness and full intensity of pain, infinitely.
I'm sure you'd be begging to God to be put in empty blackness, but He will not help due to your intense sin in questioning Him.
>>
>>19058379
Ancient Egyptians believed 1 of two things would happen:
1 hell, die unprepared and dissolve life force that spreads everywhere.
2 heaven, use knowledge of book of the dead to keep consciousness intact and reincarnate.
Either way I don't think there is a black void that we die to. If there is we probably wouldn't be able to experience any emotions while we are there.
>>
>>19059414
You're talking about memories of a previous life? Thing is, everyone else can't distinguish if it is real, a product of the imagination and dreams, or plainly made up fiction and storytelling. How many of the people "from the Internet" are in which group? Is there any single fact that could be taken as evidence, say an uncovered hidden treasure/object no one could know about except the one who stored it away?
>>
I had a NDE once: best experience I ever had.
I "woke up inside myself" during surgery: every ounce of pain slipped away and I was washed over with a sense of euphoria, ecstasy and unconditional love like nothing I had ever experienced. The only desire was to be closer to the source thereof, somewhere through a vortex of sorts that opened up in front of me. Coming back was awful: everything hurt and nothing was good compared to what it was like "over there". Breathing was hard, normal comforts were painful.

Let me tell you, if reincarnation exists, then it's the most cruel joke in existence: having to leave that place was awful. I woke up crying. You could have offered me the world, all the women and pleasures in it- even physical immortality and I wouldn't choose it over what I experienced there. And it put things in perspective. You know how it speaks of angels and saints singing praises to God, in the Bible, for all eternity? Sounds like torture, doesn't it? But not when you're there: that's the least that's owed if you can just be closer to the source of that indescribable glory. And if babies feel what I did coming into the world, I understand why they cry. This life was and is miserable for me now.
>>
>>19059679
Problem with "near" death is that it is not "after" death. You came back. We don't have any idea if these experiences will continue beyond the point of no return.
>>
>>19059701
Maybe not, but I was under anesthesia. General anesthesia is supposed to shut off cognitive processes: I experienced that early on, but somehow became self aware again and "disconnected" from it all. Something happened, and I've yet to find a medical professional that can explain it to me. I should have been having a nice deep sleep, nothing more.
>>
>>19059713

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-hole

probably the drugs. could have happened as you were coming to. or maybe you werent medicated enough during the middle of the surgery.
>>
>>19059679

thanks anon, that was beautiful
>>
>>19059748
It's possible. That's about all I can add to that.
>>
>>19059654
Aren't there lots of cases when someone spoke a language totally unknown to the person, describing places never seen by him/her etc?
>>
I was knocked unconscious in a pretty bad car accident and was asking myself a question in the dark, within my own head I heard my male voice like a normal thought, "Were we just in a car accident? Am I dead?" And a female voice replied, "No. You fell asleep."

This kept me afloat for a while with hope, that maybe there was something else there that night helping me and gave hope to an afterlife. But I am too skeptical to be kept satisfied for long. I need more proof.
>>
>>19060082
>Aren't there lots of cases
I don't know, are there? Neither do you seem to know. Without any recordings, again it's all hearsay for everyone else not involved. I don't even talk about a controlled and verifiable experimental environment. Is there anything at all?
>>
Death is sleep. When you awake you want to long to return to that state. It's not a a bad thing. The most we can do is expand awareness and experience this world.
>>
>>19059409
If you mean before being born you're a liar. If you mean past life you're retarded, that's not how memories work.
>>
>>19058379
Why are you afraid anon?
Death is the ultimate Freedom.
>>
>>19058379
That horizon look flat to you?
>>
sounds like your scared of dying not knowing what the outcome with come. so many have stated that they have seen the other side during an close call to death. But i know others that went flatline have stated they just woke up after being zapped and eyes slowly opening to the bright medical lights. they say to ask a preist or a nun if there is an afterlight. but to me trying to do cpr on my mom and then in the end watching her in the hospital with her chin and eyelids quivering knowing all her functions were going i told her to go with her parents they are waiting for her so is are pased on pets. go to them and take care of them, just then she was gone. She was afraid that night and a few others suffering from copd and panic attacks. As strong as she made herself look and act deep down her only vice was death.
I dont believe in that there is limbo heaven or hell. even reincarnation. I use to growing up, but since her passing i believe once your dead. your dead. no soul arises from your body and goes were ever. its forklore to me. but im agnostic
To me if your having more problems other than relief over this go do some soul searching and try to think of other things than death. because as monks say and yes i do believe this to be true once we are born we already are dying . The thing is live your life to the fullest and dont sweat the same stuff . good luck
>>
>>19058399
>There is nothing.

Proof?

Conscience is energy, it doesn't disappear.
>>
>>19059380
Before birth: you don't exist
After birth: exist
Before death: exist
After death: don't exist

Is it really that hard to comprehend?
>>
>>19058379
>no one knows
untrue

You may need to go to a resting place which could be a void.. but it wouldn't be for "eternity"
>>
>>19060443

Yes, conscience is energy, it doesn't disappear and you cannot be conscious of not being conscious, there is an afterlife no matter how hard you tip your fedora.
>>
>>19058399
Have you ever actually been dead? Or are you from the pocket protector dimension?
>>
>>19058399
I doubt you remember what it was like before you were born..

So you would appear to be speaking from complete ignorance as if you weren't.

I would loosen that grip on what you perceive to be reality.

I used to hold similar views. I'm so glad I was able to shed them.
>>
>>19059455
So what if I just leave? Utilize my strength as a spiritual being and exert my will over theirs.
>>
>>19060473
Uh. When your dead, all of your power(being alive), is gone. You get shuffled.
>>
>>19060480
I've never heard that human spirits just become hollow shells with no strength or will of their own.
>>
>>19060430
Consciousness is the product of millions of years of evolution, one of evolution's greatest achievements and greatest mistakes. Consciousness has forced us into the paradoxical position of striving to be unself-conscious of what we are—hunks of spoiling flesh on disintegrating bones.
>>
>>19060504

Energy doesn't work that way, you will not go away when you die.

Tip your fedora very hard and be unscientific, come on, do it.
>>
>>19060508
I'm just sharing my opinion anon, to my knowledge there is more evidence for consciousness being an emergent property of a physical system. Most if not all the evidence is also up to interpretation and bias. While I believe the existence of spiritual realms, I believe we occupy a position which is entirely physical, and our existence is spent wanting and reaching for spiritual experiences and transcension we cannot truly accomplish.
>>
>>19058379
>but the idea of some black void there and scares me. How do I cope?

You are the black void though.
>>
Jesus did it
>>
File: fa20120112a1b.jpg (1MB, 1673x624px) Image search: [Google]
fa20120112a1b.jpg
1MB, 1673x624px
If time is really infinite and during this eternity all possibilities in the physical universe are realized, given enough cycles and many deaths and rebirths that part of your consciousness that never dies will experience all possible fates. In many of those you are hellishly tortured in all possible dimensions simultaneously, and your nervous system spans universes of suffering. In others you are just for billions of years undergoing some transitional stage and floating alone in the void, except every few millennia the form of some other anon may collide with you, make both change directions and rotation, and then you watch him slowly float away until it turns into a dot and disappears between the stars.
>>
>>19060471
If you can't reprocess those qualia then did they ever happen?

A crude example would be taking a few dozen diazepam and blacking out - what happens in that space of time? Or because we cannot reprocess it does that mean it was somehow non-existent or inconsequential?
>>
>>19060608
>If time is really infinite
It's not.

Quantized, definite, with limits.

Everything.

All evidence shows this to be the case. It isn't worth your time considering infinities.
>>
>>19058379
Everyone goes through this. I went through it when I was 10. Found out Santa was a lie, God became a question. Logic.
>>
>>19060699
>mere mortal

Kek.
>>
>>19060699
So Professor Wisdom, what is the fundamental definition of conciousness? Electricity? Because by that logic, machines should be sentient.
>>
If you're occupying your time worrying about death, it's a sign that you're just depressed

No point worrying about something that will happen a very long time from now. Just focus on taking care of yourself and feeling better
>>
>>19060699
Time IS infinite

because time is nothing more than us labeling how we see existence

as long as anything exists, even the radiation post heat death of the universe, we can slap more "time" on it
making it functionally infinite

unless all energy somehow blinks out of existence at some point. which is impossible as energy never disappears, it just goes elsewhere

so either heat death, or collapse into next universe. either way, time marches on to infinity
>>
>>19058379
Don't panic. Death is really far away. Besides, everyone does it, it can't be all that terrible. Did you suffer before you were born? I know that's a loaded question, because there's no way to tell, but I reckon you didn't, and I reckon death won't be suffering either. It's probably just nonexistence.
So don't fear the void friend, but don't embrace it either. Work for the living knowing you will one day become the dead, and meditate on death only so far as it benifits and brings you peace or strength in life, not to the point of your own deterioration.
Hoping you find peace and security in this world
>>
>>19060690
We can only understand existence from the confines of our senses, making that one definition of reality
There is still a physical reality that we interface with
Wobdering whether or not it exists without us is unsolvable, since we can only know what we sense and know, and without us there is no concept of existence or reality.
>>
>>19060743
>Time IS infinite
>because time is nothing more than us labeling how we see existence

No.

Timespace are one.

And it is quantized.

It has a definite beginning. A definite size. A definite rate of expansion. A definite definition.

There isn't an infinity of states, or an infinity of charges.

Only definite, quantifiable characteristics.

+ - N

Not an indefinite continuum, but a definite, quantized system, not too dissimilar from an animation, as reality unfolds definite frame to definite frame - this is known as a quantum leap from one state to another.

>so either heat death, or collapse into next universe. either way, time marches on to infinity

No evidence to suggest that, and even if it were true, approaching infinity is not the same as infinity.

I can count, 123456789 and so on, forever, yet the counting is definite, and the "forever" is not a definite state, otherwise I would have reached the end of infinity, making infinity definite, and therefore not infinite.

>>19060716
>So Professor Wisdom, what is the fundamental definition of conciousness?

I am
>>
>>19060802
Physicist here, that's incorrect
Time and space are definitely NOT quantized
The wacky timespace property your thinking of is that they lack definite dimensions - i.e. there's no such thing as exactly 1 cubic mm of space, there's a little wiggle room there
That's a bad way of explaining it, but you get the gist
>>
>>19060802
Oh yeah reading this again you got it exactly backwards
>>
File: 1485245707152.png (538KB, 990x788px) Image search: [Google]
1485245707152.png
538KB, 990x788px
>>19058379
Just ask yourself this OP: have you ever had dreams of places that were too consistent or too real looking and detailed that it feels like a vague memory? Have you ever been drawn to certain things or certain types of land or climates, areas that you've never even lived in?

Have you ever had a lingering feeling in the back of your head, at different points in your life, of something deeper? Of something that is one the tip of your tongue but you can never really grasp it?

Have you ever met someone that felt almost intimately familiar to you, when you know you've never met them before?

Your body and brain may decompose, but your consciousness will live on in some form. That lingering feeling of knowing, of something deeper, that we spend all our lives trying to remember, that strange sense of belonging in some dreams, those feelings for places and people that should be unknown to us- these are all things that come from our pasts. Matter and energy cant truly be created nor destroyed, and neither can consciousness
>>
>>19060839
>there's no such thing as exactly 1 cubic mm of space

Yes there is. The fundamental unit from which all subsequent reality is built upon.

If the fundamental unit does not exist, being indefinite, then how can any subsequent order, such as the Planck constant, emerge?

We can see the size of the universe, it's upper limit of resolution, and we can theorize the lower limit.

There are limits.

Infinity doesn't have limits.

Therefore spacetime is definite.

>In physics, the Planck time (tP) is the unit of time in the system of natural units known as Planck units. It is the time required for light to travel, in a vacuum, a distance of 1 Planck length, approximately 5.39 × 10−44 s.[1] The unit is named after Max Planck, who was the first to propose it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_time

>I'm not a physicist
>>
>>19058399
This
I used to be a pretty severe heroin addict and I've overdosed alone a few times. I should have died on a few occasions but didn't. It was just like a glitch in time, suddenly 2 hours go by and i come back. There's no light, no mystical experience, nothing. It's not bad, it's not good, it just is.

Though lsd, dmt and 3-meo-pcp I've had mystical experiences, it's what made me believe in the multiverse. Though from personal experience i believe we die and become matter.

Inb4 drug addict loser
>>
>>19060856
You are misinterpreting the planck length and time. They are not fundamental "bits" from which the universe is built, but, as is said, dimensions beneath which make no physical sense because they would violate the uncertainty principle.
By your reasoning, definite things cannot be infinite. This is clearly violated by pi and the square root of 2.
>>
>>19060869
Just had to put 2 cousins in the ground 'cause of heroin.
Hope you stay clean my dude
>>
>>19060900
Thanks anon, 2 1/2 months and counting. I hope your cousins R.I.P.
>>
>>19060882
>This is clearly violated by pi

What if there is no relationship between the diameter and the circumference?
>>
>>19060882
>dimensions beneath which make no physical sense because they would violate the uncertainty principle.

Uncertainty begins at the sub-atomic, with electrons, quarks etc.

The Planck scale is orders of magnitude smaller, being the lower bounds of reality, as small relative to us as we are to the macro-cosmos.

At such a scale the macro and the micro is indistinguishable, in other words, a single bit of spacetime.

>By your reasoning, definite things cannot be infinite. This is clearly violated by pi and the square root of 2.

The observation and calculation of an object is not the same as the object.

While the mystery of conscious awareness and study of the circle may be potentially, not actually, infinite, the actual circle itself is definite, otherwise it wouldn't have an edge!
>>
just invent a machine to live forever and become immortal in your lifetime
>>
>>19059455
You are not a divine messenger sent from god, anon.
You have no authority to sling around torture threats like beads at mardi gras.
>>
File: tumblr_n1ew6gXLs01sl4izso1_500.jpg (280KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1ew6gXLs01sl4izso1_500.jpg
280KB, 500x667px
>>19058379
the Universe only exists because u acknowledge it with ur consciousness as a [state of] being. u exist 4 the same reason; what makes u think that u would stop existing at this point? dying is akin to sleeping, spiritually of course, but u believe this time u wont wake up. why?
when u die, everything dies until u live/can return, u r everything to the Universe
>>
>>19060508
You're kind of an idiot, bruv.

That's like saying that a car won't stop running when it runs out of gas, because "gas doesn't work that way."

The energy gets used and converted to other forms (heat, etc) which cannot and do not sustain life, and your body is not producing any more energy to replace it.
>>
>>19059393

"lucky one"

lol
>>
>>19060508

Energy changes faggot

And lines of code aren't energy, they are symbols that our perception gives meaning to. If you delete a computer or changes the lines in the program, what was before something is vanished. Atoms can be water and later gold, but once they change, they can be the same gold as before
>>
>>19061214
Any mathematician can expand on a shape. It isn't that hard. We the human race if it isn't already, can probably make existence infinite. I'm sure after millions of years of development we crafted what we know as the Heavens billions of years in the past.
>>
>>19061474
We are biocomputers heading as quickly as possible to informational singularity. When we start using time to process information.
>>
>>19058379
OP what will be will be

If you worry, you'll die

If you don't worry, you'll still die

worry changes nothing, just makes you feel shit.

So OP do you want your life +stress or life -stress. Choice is yours.

Not my theology, my Grandad's. It changed my mind.
>>
Even if there is a cognitive phase beyond metaphysical being, you wouldn't have the universal element to create the necessary chemicals needed to simulate biological 'emotions' such as fear or anxiety. There may well be another existence of 'being', but it won't be earthly. Your brain dies in the physical realm dude, it's not coming with you.
>>
>>19059380
>>19060430
>>19060459
>>19060471
What are your ideas, then?

Do you base them on what little hard science there is on what constitutes awareness and conscious?

Or do you base it on what comforts you?

Most likely the latter, as do I.

Knowing that there is nothing that can harm me, nothing more that can remind me of my existence past my death, knowing that I will return to a state of non being and non experiencing

That is what comforts me.

In truth, past this realm is something none of us can be certain of, thus until it can be proven without a shadow of a doubt, every theory has possibility.
>>
File: 1377466839095.jpg (126KB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
1377466839095.jpg
126KB, 960x600px
>>19061535
Human-beings are of unlimited potential, living in a universe of infinite possibilities
>>
>>19060454
Consciousness is ordered energy. Once you die your synapses energy doesn't fly off in the exact configuration of your brain and even if it did there is no "hardware" to perceive it.

"You" are not your energy, whatever that means. "you" cease to be when your body shuts down.
>>
>>19060882
>By your reasoning, definite things cannot be infinite. This is clearly violated by pi and the square root of 2.
Pi and sqrt(2) are not definite things, they are just constants in our mathematical model. We use this model to describe nature, but as a description, everything is only an approximation of reality. The mathematical circle is perfect, with an infinitesimal small edge. You won't find this in nature.
>>
File: weighheart2.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
weighheart2.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>19058379
>I don't know why, but for the past few day's I've been going through this crisis where I'm not sure if there's a god and the thought of the afterlife terrifies me.
>I'm afraid of being aware.

I have evidence of a god and, by inference, probably an afterlife. Just be a good person and say sorry when you do something bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBqGOdx0tiQ
>>
The afterlife is fucking awesome. Everyone there has powers and can fly and do other shit. There are multiple planets to explore. It's fucking badass.
>>
>>19062126

please stop posting garbage
>>
>>19061535
I base it on what I've seen. I overdosed too junkie Anon. But that isn't really Death. Dope is like a buffer. Nothing gets through. I didn't experience it, until someone literally killed me. No drugs.
>>
>>19058379
What you think is what you become in the next life!
Think often about spooky shit? You'll become one of them.
Think about women? You'll certainly become a woman.
Also meat eating and unregulated sex life drags you down to animal/plant realms, that is the most unfortunate.
Fish are even lower than plants lol.
Simply if you think about some gross shit, probably your future parents will be dealing with something similar in their lives and inevitably you will too.
>>
File: elisalam11.png (470KB, 1112x717px) Image search: [Google]
elisalam11.png
470KB, 1112x717px
>>19062141
>please stop posting garbage

I'm posting theology, not garbage...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH5y71hOvk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt8lhNNk9So
>>
>>19058379

Death is not something to fear or reject. It is a natural part of life, and it is not the end. Do not be sad when others die, and do not grieve them. Celebrate their transcendence.

When you die and return to the Force, things will be very different. As a "self", you cease to be. Instead, you take on your role as perceiver of the all, united with all those that have ever or will ever be, and those who haven't and will never be. There is no space there. There is no time there. Only bliss beyond anything found in this phenomenal world.

Through deep meditation, you may reach this state -- though you will almost certainly return. That is why the greatest yogis and gurus spend so much time (decades, even) in meditation. It isn't because they're trying to clear their mind. They are experiencing the bliss of the Force.

Fear not, my friend. Fear is the path to the dark side, and will only anchor you painfully to this illusory world. May the Force be with you.
>>
File: 1495781551577.jpg (59KB, 403x231px) Image search: [Google]
1495781551577.jpg
59KB, 403x231px
>>19058379
You'll either go to the void, which is pure, and is your birthplace so it will feel like home and rest, or you go straight to the pinnacle of knowledge and awareness in which you will feel supreme, that is, a constant perfected stream of happiness. its not a still picture either, you can make up whatever you want in which the void will manifest itself into for the chance of attaining something that is completely opposite of the purity of nothing. likewise, as an ascended being, you will get bored in the very very long run, and decide to return to that place that is the complete opposite of everything. Essentially, In the long run, were going to hell and back to heaven for kicks until we grow up and incorporate both paradoxical perceptions into one, and join the "Christ mind" as christians call it, and forge on to the God mind, which I'm assuming is like going from the void to heaven all over again.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.