[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are we being taught to fear immortality?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 11

File: doriangray1.jpg (32KB, 270x400px) Image search: [Google]
doriangray1.jpg
32KB, 270x400px
It seems like the majority of media featuring an immortal character(s) shoehorn in a theme/moral about how immortality is a curse or is not desirable.

Even the typically light-hearted Marvel film, the Avengers, features a character openly admitting to craving death and an unfortunately botched attempt at suicide.

What do you think? Is it just a coincidence or something more?
>>
>>19041393

Just an overused trope.
>>
>>19041393
It's typical hyping up of the mortal experience. "Isn't being an ordinary human at exactly this time, in exactly this society great!?" Of course television is going to softly affirm the target audience's existence; gives 'em those feel goods, so they can keep watching.

Look what the television programs for kids are like, these days:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k9iEj4q59QU

Not even trying for subtlety. Fuck it, who cares?
>>
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ImmortalityHurts
>>
How to become immortal?
>>
>>19041448
You always have been.
>>
>>19041393
Yes and people buy it big time.
It's terrifying how much /x/ is afraid of immortality.
And unlike other shilling theories about conspiracy, people would gain a lot if they yearned for immortality or great longevity. It simply is a great asset in the mortal world.
Also most popular religions are cults of mortality. Downplaying the importance of the mortal existence to sell you on afterlife.
>>
>>19041772
Listen to this anon, we're all immortal.
>>
>>19041421
That travesty is not worthy of the Teen Titans IP.
>>
Immortality is only scary if you're the only one who's immortal. If me, my best mate and a hot bitch or two were all immortal then who gives a shit about any of that lame shit movies always go on about?
>>
>>19041868
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
>>
File: cool.jpg (35KB, 400x509px) Image search: [Google]
cool.jpg
35KB, 400x509px
>>19041918
enjoy staying forever in the prison of matter

might just consider uploading your consciousness into a VR
>>
>>19041948
Is it a prison or is it the highest joy an ego can experience?
The incarnation of matter is a finite one. That (theorical) of pure spirit is infinite.
By law of supply and demand, mortal life is worth more than after/unlife.
And even if it isn't that pleasant, what speck must the lifetime of our star be in comparison to eternity?
>>
>>19041948
What, a VR where nothing is actually real and everyone around me is a soulless husk meant to simulate real companionship and human behavior?

Thanks but no thanks, I get kept up late at night by that thought enough as it is and if I knew it was really true I'd blow my brains out within a week.
>>
>>19041957
>what doth lyfe

I don't know. But I know that our civilization
has made it very difficult to a carry connection
with the Spirit.

That's the root of our suffering. Life has become boring without
that-substance. 'nam sayin? the Substance. The Force.
that huh.. WOW!

I want to live in the Witcher's 3 world. and I know we could meme it into >>>reality<<<
>>
>>19041974
I don't get what you're trying to tell me, it's not articulate enough.
what I believe is ego is stronger in a body, even if the body makes it harder at first to realise what the ego can do
I do not believe ascending through death is more than a shortcut for self-destructive people
>>
>>19041986

I have difficulties communicating. Don't understand you either.

okay, lets get to the foundations. Do you believe we have Souls that came here from some higher realm?
>>
>>19041993
I believe in something you could call soul (I'm fuzzy about the term because I don't know the specifics of how it works or where it comes from).
I don't believe thoses come from elsewhere in the case of humans, I believe they are created when the person is named.
I don't know if happens to thoses "souls" after normal death. I do believe it's possible for "souls" to go somewhere in certain circumstances, despite the body dying.
>>
>>19042004
so our sole duty is to save that thing we could call soul. to liberate it. and surrounding reality clearly doesn't want us to do that.

>I believe they are created when the person is named.
what to you mean exactly? in life? or just before life? named by who
>>
>>19042014
There are multiple ways ways to be named and it's not something that happens as a single finite event.
To simplify it, before a baby is born his parents acknowledging it are putting the process in motion. When they give it a name, the soul is coherent enough to be called that.
On persons that do not receive a proper name, their soul forms differently but still exists as long as the person refers to himself as "me" or "I". On persons that take different names or chose a new name, this only alters the sould, doesn't create a new one.
I don't believe a baby crawling out of the womb of a woman in a coma and dying shortly after ever had a soul.
>so our sole duty is to save that thing we could call soul. to liberate it. and surrounding reality clearly doesn't want us to do that.
Like I said, I believe the soul is stronger in a body. Even if it isn't evident to realise it's potential.
>>
No one wants to write a Mary Sue. You need some sort of drawback when giving a character a trait.
Immortality is a really fucking good trait. Making it so it makes you insane, you live in constant pain, or you decay but never truly die makes it balances it somewhat.
>>
What if one were truly immortal? What would that do to you mentally, assuming it isn't some tortuous existence?
Would you eventually just become a God figure of sorts and merely sit on the sidelines to enjoy the show? Would you still "participate" in some way or another to stay entertained?
Though, I suppose if you're around for eternity you have time to try both or any other option.
>>
>>19041393

wow a faggot could really come upon this idea
>who doesnt like vampires
>>
>>19041393
i fapped too much to become immortal
i must die
>>
You can't be immortal in a human body, eventually all your cells and memories will be replaced by new material
>>
I like the spin on this trope in the early 90s comic Twilight by Howard Chaykin and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez. Basically humanity attains immortality and it's not just bad for humanity, it's bad for the entire universe.
>>
what do the bees have to do with immortality?
>>
File: flamel-engravings.png (576KB, 694x599px) Image search: [Google]
flamel-engravings.png
576KB, 694x599px
>>19042714
Maybe that's the secret though. Replace it with a new material that doesn't need replacing.
>>
>>19041393
Could go either way. Most individuals let their fears rule their lives more than their hopes.

People are afraid of living a mundane life, so they prefer to pretend that our shitty blip of an existence is actually somehow more "beautiful" or "meaningful" than a long eventful life.

It's obvious bullshit but I guess it helps people sleep better at night, and they'd rather live like that than to hope and dream.
>>
>>19041393
It dates back to god war type shit, pre much nignog bring immortality to man, nignog god collect muh dead souls mad tells nignog bumbuddie god am so mad, nignog bumbuddie god go zap zap boom boom, immortalitymancreator dead, son of bigbadgod, bigbadgod kill creator of bumbiddies boom boom maker, bumbuddies ok ok we no want ur wrath ur son no let immortal but we let star.
>>
>>19041421

That show is repulsive. Literally one of the worst possible shows to let a preteen watch. Rampant, blatant promotion of degeneracy. A demon girl is a role model? This is promotion of goth subculture and You tell me that kids who get into goth and emo subculture are happy while they are listening to emo music and browsing suicide forums.

Is it supposed to be satire? Who the fuck knows but I do know that a 10 year old is not the best at picking up satire so that kind of pushes the answer to one side.

I fucking hate this goddamn show and everyone associated with it should be killed with a bullet to the back of the head.
>>
>>19041918
what if you were an immortal god and u had a heap of other gods on your ass so you create mortality as a way to hide and reincarnate through multiple masks?
>>
>>19041393
i think this is true. the elite want or currently have immortality and they want to rule us like cattle. if we are all immortals, they can't do that anymore. they can't make us do anything anymore actually. we are free to apply our freewill directly to the universe, this terrifies rulers.
>>
File: 2.jpg (22KB, 348x362px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
22KB, 348x362px
>mfw not immortal, gonna die one day
whew, I sure dodged a bullet there
>>
Haven't you heard? Humans have accessed eternal life technologies many years ago.
>>
>>19044513
Calm down there, Changing God.
>>
File: IMG_3484.jpg (45KB, 422x406px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3484.jpg
45KB, 422x406px
It's all just a lie mortals tell themselves to make them feel better.
>>
>>19041393
Nonsense. I'd gladly embrace immortality, but I'd rather take eternal youth and an extended lifespan instead.
>>
>>19041393
People nowadays think science will make them live forever as transhuman transsexual cyborgs in space with VR waifus. It’s really retarded that they think science will forever progress and that nothing is beyond man. The problem with being purely scientific is you can only approach questions using verifiable and quantifiable notions. This is why philosophers don’t often overlap with scientists, and when they do they’re shunned (Michael Kaku is a good example of this–people hate him because he philosophizes). Transhumanists never question (or may be incapable of questioning) the nature of the consequences of transhumanism, and even the nature of the self.

Because they entirely lack the ability to self-reflect, they will willingly trap themselves in machines with the foolish idea that their entire existence is contained within fatty matter. They see immortality as a moral obligation, they strive to achieve a world without death. They hope for it, but I fear it. Even if there is nothing after death, it is better than eternal life. If nothing exists after you die, then you need not fear it, as you will have no ability to do so. This is how I know that deep down, they, like everyone else, have an inescapable feeling that there is something after, like waking from a dream.

It’s funny how even with zombies and vampires so popular in media, these idiots still fail entirely to question the burden of immortality. And, particularly in this very specific case, they’re not even thinking about the implications of the economics of the matter. Instead of old people adding to a system that was never funded, can never be funded, and which is going to collapse in all its forms no matter how long people live, they’d prefer “young” people forever enslaved to the debt of the system in general. Force people to work for all eternity to pay back something that no one ever voted on or agreed to.
>>
They feature as such because it is true. The mortality of flesh is as intrinsic to mankind as his wonder of the unknown or his drive to compete. Do you ever see someone so obviously divested of a quintessential human quality that you are terrified? Immortality is one such quality. It simply looks appealing, much as omnipotence and omniscience do to those that first consider them and find them appealing. The conflicts of existence are what make our reality, it is understandable to want to live forever but as foolish as wishing you were all-powerful.
>>
>>19045386
>people think
people want
If you tell me immortality is impossible I'll know you're probably right
I won't stop desiring it

People all around the world are afraid of life. They will have lots of made up reason why they don't want to live forever, and they follow religions of death.
>>
>>19041972
>What, a VR where nothing is actually real and everyone around me is a soulless husk meant to simulate real companionship and human behavior?
Yes, and that's reality itself...nobody exists but you. Everything is a mere reflection of you.
>>
>>19041974
>I want to live in the Witcher's 3 world
Isn't the Witcher world a "dark fantasy" shithole? Yeah, there's some nice wilderness, but the societies and people are very unpleasant.
>>
>>19042042
That's not really what OP was talking about.
>>
File: tumblr_mu6s2eDbUq1rg6zkao1_1280.png (229KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mu6s2eDbUq1rg6zkao1_1280.png
229KB, 600x600px
>>19044511
Mlp is the way!
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.