[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spooky HAM Radio Stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 5.jpg (253KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
253KB, 1440x900px
It's been a while since we had one of these threads. What are some broadcasts you had that freaked you out or spooked you while using HAM Radio? It can be emergency broadcasts, local emergency services, regular paranormal, or even just a number station that just acted unusual.
>>
>>19030872
Not a ham radio story, but I was radio man back in BCT on our final FTX, which is basically extreme camping with rifles and yelling. I carted around the ancient CINCGARS radio, we didn't have Harris radios. So my platoon is off in our little bivouac area, and I've got the midnight shift manning the radio. There's literally nothing to hear- single channel, plain text, and I'm basically just trying not to fall asleep listening to the white noise.

But we were in Fort Leonard Wood, MO. This place is infamous for skin walker stories, it's in the middle of nowhere. The whole place always gave me a terrifying vibe; the woods always got too quiet when we werent doing anything. I was sitting in the center of the perimeter, and everyone had a battle buddy with them at all times, so we didn't have any skinwalker worries at that moment. But I kept hearing little voices on the radio. Not like I was getting a distant transmission- I know what those sound like. This was like someone was really close, within a mile or two, and just speaking really softly or transmitting on low power. I had the only working radio in the platoon, and we were way out of range of the other guys' sets, far away on the southern edge of the TA. This voice kept saying things that sounded like words but were complete gibberish, like someone who knows how English sounds but doesn't actually speak it. It kept happening, but every time I tried to let one of the roving guards hear, the voice seemed to take a break. It never talked long enough that I could show anyone.

That experience haunts me as much as any thing I've experienced in my Army career.
>>
>>19030976
I'm not OP, but thank you, that's really cool and scary to hear, haha.
>>
>>19030976
Not spook, but the first thing I heard when I turned my radio onto my local repeater was "Hold on I'm choking."

Guy didn't come back on for like 3 minutes while I waited with bated breath.
>>
Weak story and a odd coincidence, but I remember when the movie white noise came out in theater, whole family went to see it.

First time I have ever heard of electronic voice phenomenon, anyways after the movie my dad got a call and a voice mail from a unidentified number on his old brick Nokia, nothing but static and a unintelligible gibberish faintly mixed in.
>>
Can anyone tell me if there is a legit ham radio app?
>>
>>19030872
Lived in bum fuck town out in southern New Mexico when i was a kid. My uncle was a the classic cool guy. Taught me to hussle in pool, how to start fires, how to play chess all that shit. He was incredibly smart but he was in Nam and would go on drinking sprees. He loved crazy shit like ghosts and aliens. 1 time he told me that once he was driving out of town (all government land and absolutely fuck all else)that hes old as car picked up a station of someone chanting numbers. I always thought he was nutso.

(When it happend in P.T. i was scared extra shitless)
>>
hope this relates.

after i set up a surround sound system in my basement, it would pick up the broadcast of a local ham radio operator. he was apparently having a conversation but i could only hear one side of it. when it first started happening it was weird as hell! "where is that fucking voice coming from!? can you hear that??"

it always came in really faint and adjusting any of the volume controls wouldn't affect his signal(? for lack of a better term).

it pretty much went on until i moved. we knew of a couple operators in the neighborhood (one had 2 1/2-story tall antenna in their yard) the one i heard only broadcast in the early morning, and mainly on weekends.

come to think of it, i really don't know which side of the convo i was hearing. i also never payed much attention either, never cared about the details (usually weather if i remember correctly, along with coordinates *i think*)

that's mine. but yea it was weirdddd as hell when it first started happening cuz it wasn't immediately after installing the SS system. not to mention the hours he was chatting, so the first time i noticed it was after i had been up all night one night, chillin as the sun is coming up when all of a sudden *a voice*

did i mention my setup was in the basement too? so it was all around creepy! turning off the system would stop it, otherwise his signal would come through no matter what i was doing (movie, vidya, etc) and always at the same volume, regardless of the volume i was using
>>
I'm a ham radio opp, but mostly I lurk and listen and run scanners. One night im listening in to the scanner and it stops on some people talking, it was 3-4 units talking back and forth to each other and they were driving around stalking/ surveiling some other guy who was driving around. My first thought was that they were cops following a drug dealer or gang member. thing is they didn't sound like cops, I can't explain but cops have a certain way of talking on the radio. These guys were very well organized, only using one car to stay in site of the guy, with the others "following" on the radio. This all taking place at like midnight and lasted hours. It was in my neighborhood too, I literally could have walked to a couple of the intersections they were at. This was Albuquerque, NM and some weird stuff tends to go down there. It was just really weird I have listen to a LOT of police trafic, and police channels were the cops dont have to be as professional on the radio, and these guys sounded nothing like cops, and the frequecncy they were on wasnt in the police band. I have always wondered what was going down and who they were. The guy being followed ended up parking in a walmart parking lot and the guys following them just gave up and left. If youre interested in scanning but dont have much money for a nice scanner I recomend a SDR (software defined radio) it's a little usb stick that turns your computer into a recieving radio. There are even apps where you can use it on your phone. A good website is rtl-sdr.com plus you can search sdr on youtube and plenty of info.
>>
>>19035674
Those are code channels. The military or government entities would send encrypted messages via repeating numbers, broadcast over such channels.

Your uncle wasn't lying, but it's not as extraordinary as you'd think.
>>
Yeah you can do a youtube search for "numbers stations" tons have been recorded. They are still very much active.
>>
>>19037833
any good ones off the top of yur head?
>>
>>19037985
your*
>>
File: 2110M Manpack.jpg (17KB, 540x500px) Image search: [Google]
2110M Manpack.jpg
17KB, 540x500px
>>19037076
I once worked in security and the owner had military radio equipment. He's a shady dude. One of those people who hold a state's criminal groups and authorities together by force, a lynchpin. Anyways, if you have ever heard these military decoder radios, they sound like garbled trucker nonsense by someone who ingested helium and a few handfuls of gravel. But once you get used to it you can tell the voices apart.

You cannot access them without an expensive decoder radio. The signal is literally encrypted.
>>
>>19030872
The number station thread here. Where someone got a direct reference to Borderlands. Kek. Station said, "Seeking Tannis, runner available." Have to wonder what that was about.
>>
>>19038031
They don't use single channel chiphertext anymore. They use frequency hop with an encryption key and hopset, which is impossible to crack.
>>
Not a Ham radio story but maybe kinda related.

Once heard "the flight from Helsinki to Amsterdam will depart from gate 16" over and over from a street water drain in my city. A bit odd
>>
Had a great site for reviewing all the number station recordings...
>>
>>19038044
https://archive.org/details/ird059
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.