[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Conspiracy theories in the '90s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

How different was conspiracy theory- and conspiracy theory internet culture back in the '90s and what remained of it?
How much has changed after 9/11 and the introduction of conspiracy theories to the broad mainstream?
I was born way too late to experience it ('98) and I'm kinda curios about it.
>>
>>19018879
Bumping for interest.
>>
File: logo-main-header[1].png (13KB, 360x184px) Image search: [Google]
logo-main-header[1].png
13KB, 360x184px
>>
>>19019089
I miss that website
>>
>>19019097
It's still online and got huge lately because of the conspiracy theory craze.
>>
>>19019108
They screwed up the site design and I don't trust them anymore.
>>
>>19018879
It was different because there was still untouched info. With transparency comes bullshit. And edited history, to some extent.
>>
>>19019152
We used to get stacks of printouts. On that edged printer paper. Just urls. And phone numbers. Ip addresses.
>>
>>19019158
It's a safety razor version of the world, now. Big brother doesn't exist(?). Kek.
>>
I remember my dad going on creepy 90's sites with black backgrounds and green texts where he'd be reading about Spontaneous Human Combustion and the Elohim and shit. It was awesome. Then we'd watch X-Files.
>>
Seek truth. There is no beginning, no end. This is the end of the beginning. If it's evil, squash it. If you want evil, find it. People find what they seek.
>>
Just read this, OP

As far as the Internet it was MUCH scarier in the 90s because there was little to no way to verify or debunk most things you would read. Unless you're totally naive and believe everything you read in which case one creepypasta wiki would blow away the entire 90s internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sXj7ovJJMc
>>
There were more magazines.
>>
IDK Op. it was just like it is now, in a different time period. Can't really compare the two. With this level of access, it's mostly everyone believing what they want. Facts? Meh. Does it matter if it's been tampered with? You tell me.
>>
>>19019198
Conspiracy theories.
>>
How many spooky pictures and stories have been lost to the Internet storm drain?

Sometimes I'll be listening to an old Art Bell and he'll talk about an image on his website that you just HAVE to check out. Of course you can't even go to archive.org and look up the site on the date in question, that's gone too.
>>
http://www.crystalinks.com/
>>
>>19019198
I already ordered a copy yesterday.
>>
You had to have a Higher IQ to get into this shit, That's for sure. You couldn't go on youtube and watch an entire playlist of disaster compilations and become david icke nor could you stumble upon one. You had to have initiative and a curious thirsty mind.

Now any idiot can read a david icke or alex jones book and hop on the bandwagon and discourage or decieve smarter people who sincerely want to know the truth.

Also, Information was probably was less filtered so who knows what you could find and you had to look for local communities.

Basically, Go watch all the King of the Hill episodes that centered around Dale Gribble and that's a good idea of what it was like.
>>
Back in the 90s the internet was less centralized, so you'd end up in all kinds of weird conspiracy websites if you searched on Yahoo or Lycos. Nowadays most communities are centralized on big sites and there seem to be less dedicated websites. But the main idea of conspiracies and conspiracy communtiies are still the same. Obvious bigger than ever since there are now more users on the net than back then.
>>
>>19019181
that is correct, before netscape with creepy dark backgrounds i would pick up dvd-roms, before that it was creepy freak books and the library.
>>
https://youtu.be/9edQEzp7zGA

It was like this. The film slackers is a great view of the best of 90s culture
>>
>>19019304
And before that, BBS. Bulletin boards.
>>
>>19019304
same guy here.

>>19019252
is a good example of what I meant by "dedicated websites." There were lots of these kinds of sites back then.
>>
>>19019329
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_system
>>
>>19019329

That's what I've heard too but I only got internet in 1999 so I can only attest to what I know.
>>
Back then I was younger so maybe it is that; but I felt at the time that a real break through was possible, that if enough interested people got together and shared info and brought it to light then the government would have no choice but to basically admit their cover ups. Now with the absolute glut of information and the complete loss of personal contact involved it just seems like we are parked in front of a trough to gorge until our stomachs split or something. I feel like in the past 20 years the elite have gotten immeasurably more powerful (and when you look at income inequality in the past 20 years it makes sense. The richest 10% of people now own 76% of the worlds wealth when 20 years ago they owned around 30%)
>>
alex jones on talk radio really pushed the boundaries and made conspiracy theories into a billion dollar industry in the late 90's. although the birth of the conspiracy theory started with the moon landing. soon after JFK, marilyn monroe, eliv, tupac and the 27 club dominated the early years
>>
>>19018879
Bill Wilson's Behold, A Pale white Horse
>>
they say that the best and more truthful conspiracy material was around late 90's in freenet/i2p
>>
http://theshadowlands.net/ghost/
I used this in early 2000s. I assume it was created in the 90s. Looks like it was made then.
>>
>>19019848
Shadowlands is from 1994.
>>
File: IMG_1392.jpg (41KB, 1008x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1392.jpg
41KB, 1008x720px
chaos mages and rouge psions on IRC; the internet wasn't for everyone, there was more of a hax0r culture - kind of reminds me of serial experiments lain in a way. isolated and nutty and brilliant minds bouncing off one another, tenuously connected over the wild wild west-esque netcape. i think things were scarier somehow, like how anon said above - there was no way to prove or disprove anything per se aside from personal research. this made urban legends and the like somehow more delicious; even goofy/shitty horror in pop culture had an air of plausibility. at the same time there was a rarity to truth which made it stick out all the more.

personally i spent a lot of time at the library reading horror/ghost stories. it was harder to find reliable information thus a seeker intuitively began to develop a sense of discernment for truth, or at least interesting leads.

where/when i grew up there was a heavy, "cool" christian influence which instilled a lot of terror into me of the occult, which naturally blossomed into an equally passionate interest into the subject. i will say that it was also harder to find reliable practical magic. my best friend went more the hard conspiracy route as i got more into magic - in those days the two subjects seemed more than anything to be intertwined in the people i encountered; paranoia and paranormal go together. i guess that hasn't changed much though haha.

hope that helps
>>
>>19019789
*Bill Cooper
>>
File: 1483562934036.jpg (28KB, 499x667px) Image search: [Google]
1483562934036.jpg
28KB, 499x667px
They always believed that the goverment spied on us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcPjeAkU6Cs

How rigth they were.
>>
https://youtu.be/VBB5zhVh-rU
>>
It seems like everything was a lot more fresh and novel in those days, and people were a little more open to believing anything. Look at John Tutor. Today he'd be written off as a troll in no time.
>>
>>19018879
They turned out to be ridiculously accurate. Crazy conspiracy theories of the 90s are the old news of today.
>>
File: 345436.jpg (45KB, 497x483px) Image search: [Google]
345436.jpg
45KB, 497x483px
>>19019108
eat a dick brainwashed commie/clueless dumbass
it's for political propaganda now
>>
>>19019319
netscape came out in 94.

dvd players first came out in a very limited way between late 96 and early 97. They weren't even available outside of a few major cities,and they didn't become affordable until closer to 99-00

Stop pretending to be older than you are.
>>
>>19019321
love this film
>>
Biggest differences:

Smaller community, everyone seemed aware of the same things and shared sources.

Like now, paleo conservative gun rights people dominated the discussions (and kept publishers in business). That said, left wing and right wing conspiracy theorists had more overlap. It was more common for liberals to follow conservative thinkers, albeit with some skepticism.

The landscape changed significantly with 9/11. Left wing and right wing conspiracy were really differentiated and most people started to stuff towards sites that confirmed their own biases. That lead to right wing sites becoming more open to racism and left wing sites dwelling too much on surface level politics. Those things were there but the separation opened floodgates.

>>19019848

My God, I loved this site. I didn't realize it was still up. More paranormal than conspiratorial but still hits me pretty hard in the nostalgia. Can't believe it's still up.
>>
>>19020402
>Look at John Tutor. Today he'd be written off as a troll in no time.

We're more savvy to trolls now than back then. Even normies know what trolls are... which John Tutor was.

Did anything he say ever come to pass?
>>
https://www.nexusmagazine.com/
I used to buy this at border's books
>>
pretty much all of the major themes proven right.

NWO, deep state, total surveillance, false flags, powerful pedo rings, jewish banking cabals, etc. That was once deep conspiritard territory, now its general knowledge (amongst even the most mildly autistic).

that said there was also a lot more total mad BS because secondary sources couldnt be verified or checked as easily.

the major big questions remaining now (to be proven) are:

secret space program
nature of ayy's
magickal workings
>>
File: nwo-wwf.jpg (51KB, 580x361px) Image search: [Google]
nwo-wwf.jpg
51KB, 580x361px
>>19022300
>NWO
but they actually operated more openly back then in many ways
>>
File: 1481940160941.gif (3MB, 304x376px) Image search: [Google]
1481940160941.gif
3MB, 304x376px
>>19019848
>http://theshadowlands.net/ghost/

Spent a lot of nights reading this site, comfiest memories
>>
I've been fascinated by 90s conspiracies, trying to put myself in the 90s mindset after visiting Waco and reading one of their pamphlets at the old Davidian church.

Basically it boils down to

>right wing groups gain popularity when the government under Clinton and particularly Janet Reno starts to get all liberal with gun rights
>government hasn't evaluated their Rules of Engagement, decides to pick and choose who they think are very violent and yet easy targets
>put big ex-special forces dudes in charge of the operation for publicity, it ends bad (pic related)
>fumble the fuck out of Ruby Ridge with their "I AM UNCLE SAM HEAR ME ROAR!" mentality
>decide to pick a large and easy target: Branch Davidians, who they think they can surprise
>someone tips them off, after a standoff more kids are burned to death and sniped than died in Sandy Hook
>turns out the sniper who fumbled Ruby Ridge was also at Waco, and when they try him for it they have to dismiss it because he rebarrels his rifle
>agents posing in front of burned kids smiling
>militias take off, eventually forcing the govt. to stand down in Montana with the Freemen
>at the same time the Balkans war is seen as a useless shipping of American taxpayer money to send weapons to Muslims and bomb Serbian Christians while also empowering NATO, which is seen as a globalist entity
>can't find the doc but it was by a John Birch Society company that literally proved the shots of 'concentration camps' in Serbia were the reporters wrapping barb wire around themselves to box themselves in, which made it look like the Bosniaks were prisoners (they could go freely supposedly), and also the starving one really just had a bone condition (they interviewed him)
>this justified breaking up the Balkans
>FEMA also given the power to establish a sort of provisional government in a national emergency, with power to suspend constitution
>conspiracies there would be a coup or shadow government there
>>
File: horiuchi_endorsement.jpg (270KB, 520x685px) Image search: [Google]
horiuchi_endorsement.jpg
270KB, 520x685px
>>19022576
>>(pic related)

Forgot to post.

Lon seems to be responsible for a lot of the 90s hysteria. The Weavers at Ruby Ridge were Nazis (yeah literal Nazis) but they never hurt anyone, and the only reason they got into trouble was because an ATF agent befriended Randy and asked him to saw the barrel off a shotgun. They said if he informed on some racist church he could walk, so he said fuck it and holed up in his cabin because he was already self sufficient.

After waiting a little while, Lon sniped Randy's wife in front of him. She was unarmed. His son also died because he sniped their dog, and then when the little son tried to pull his gun (the kid was like 8, he didn't know how serious this was) he got shot too.

Later on a sniper said he was present at Waco. he later retracted his statement, even after video from the barn across the street was leaked of the church burning, and agents laughing and shooting, saying "His head fucking popped! Poor bastard..." When they went to try him, they had to drop charges because his rifle had just been altered.

Then again in 2000, there was this gay couple who ran a farm for hippies and stoners, Rainbow Farm. They applied for a license to grow, got raided and the feds found 20 plants and took away their adopted son. They knew that they were going to lose their property under asset forfeiture, so as a fuck you to the man they burned it down when they were supposed to show up to trial and beg to get their son back. They were both sniped by an FBI sharpshooter while walking to a shed on their property. I suspect it was Lon, but this was a week before September 11th.

Right after the attacks, all charges against Lon (being tried for murder in Ruby Ridge and investigated for Waco) got dropped.

>pic
>yfw you single-handedly create a violent anti-government movement across the midwest that culminates in OKC

I'm writing a book about this at some point. The militia movement is picking back up again, it's fascinating
>>
>>19019246
Start a thread about it on the board. We love lost media!
>>
>>19022606
Who's Lon?
>>
>>19019789
good taste
>>
>>19022789
Lon Horiuchi

>Sniper at Ruby Ridge
>Also Waco
>Possibly Rainbow Farm and others

He was the face of the right wing conspiracy theories back in the day, everyone hated him. He's still supposedly the program director.

McVeigh said his OKC plot was in retaliation for Lon.

The 90s is a weird time, it's like we were actually close as a country to a domestic war. I think if the feds didn't change their Rules of Engagement, there'd be a Malheur Wildlife Refuge type scenario every week now
>>
Also, conspiracies in the 90s were different because they expressed genuine fears that people had. I think after 9/11, conspiracies became pop culture

Conspiracies then
>ATF will burn your church down
>federal government is increasing in power and will seize control from state governments
>you will be conscripted to fight for the interests of the United Nations/EU/NATO
>the wars in the middle east will never end (LOL)

Conspiracies now
>Beyonce is Illuminati because she made a triangle
>Tupac still alive homie
>flat earth
>the world is ruled by lizards who drink baby blood
>somewhat legit conspiracies turn into memes - har har steel beams lol xDDDD

I think conspiracies switched quickly from being right wing to left wing. Now if you question a gun law or globalization it's just buzzwords about how you're a racist for thinking this, or comparing you to Alex Jones, which is somehow bad considering Alex (PBUH) is the Messenger of YHWY
>>
There used to be a website called www.spiritweb.org which was a compendium of conspiracy, paranormal, spiritual, alien subjects with a very active forum but it closed down in 2003.

Maybe you will find an archived version of it somewhere.
>>
>>19023184
https://web.archive.org/web/20021127105836/http://spiritweb.org:80/
>>
>>19019403
Nah, conspiracy theorizing is as old as time.
>>
File: 1385615226412.gif (2MB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
1385615226412.gif
2MB, 256x192px
This thread is gold. Bringing back a lot of nostalgia for me. I first got into conspiracy/paranormal stuff in the late 90's as a kid watching SciFi Channel, particularly reruns of the show Sightings. Any of you guys remember sightings? There's a youtube channel with pretty much every episode now. (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFfUhWxQOyXiMrKIl771tJg link to the channel for those who are interested, the stuff is still entertaining as hell 20 years later). Anyway, this thread is really cool and I'm really enjoying all these retro websites and stuff you guys are posting, so bump I guess.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.