[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grey goo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: 1390067898336406700.jpg (63KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1390067898336406700.jpg
63KB, 800x450px
Also known as von Neumann machines. We should pray we are alone in the universe. This shit is scary as fuck.
>>
>>19017428
Could you elaborate?
>>
>>19017428
Meta-liquid matter?
Oh boi...
>>
>>19017428
Brains?
>>
>>19017430
In theory those are self replicating nano bots. Due to bugs in their code (or willingly) they will consume all matter to replicate even more. If a critical mass is reached nothing can stop this big blob of grey goo from consuming everything in their own solar system, the galaxy or even the universe.
Now think about it: if there are other intelligent species in the universe the chance they will come up with this shit is going to be 100%.
>>
>>19017462
Thank god for the shielding vaccum of space.
>>
>>19017472
These little fuckers have all time in the universe. Also if their host civilisation found a way to travel ftl we are fucked even quicker.
>>
>>19017428
Gallium is pretty cool, eh?
>>
>>19017491
Look at picture. Read thread. Kek.
>>
>>19017491
lmao
>>
>>19017462
You have just realised what
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn12546-biggest-void-in-space-is-1-billion-light-years-across/
Is, congratulations.
>>
>von Neumann machines
What do they do, rip off your work and republish it as their own?
>>
>>19019540
Yes actually
But not the way your sarcasm leads
The "goo" hijacks your brain unknowingly
Turns you into a puppet, their bitch
But you go about your day thinking you are the master of your fate...kek
>>
File: atomicbender.jpg (112KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
atomicbender.jpg
112KB, 1280x720px
>>
File: legionbook1v2_small-1.png (187KB, 250x400px) Image search: [Google]
legionbook1v2_small-1.png
187KB, 250x400px
>>19017428
Just finished reading We are Legion We are Bob.
great book if you are a nerd.
http://dennisetaylor.org/legion/
about a dude that becomes the ai for a von neumann probe.
>>
>>19017428
>>19017462
Grey Goo is a manchild fantasy.
>>
>>19017462
>if there are other intelligent species in the universe the chance they will come up with this shit is going to be 100%.

So if there is even 1 other alien race in the universe, suddenly the chance of the universe being destroyed by self-replicating nanobots is now 100%.

I think calling that an enormous logical jump is about the biggest understatement I could make.
>>
>>19019983

No it doesn't, a von Neumann machine is just a contemporary buzzword describing a self-replicating machine that is capable of reproducing itself autonomously using raw materials found in the environment.

If you want to think of machines that hijack consciousness and control it then fine, but the term "von Neumann machines" describes something very particular and it is not even remotely what you're saying.
>>
If gray goo did exist/was invented, and it expanded until it reached a point where there was no more matter (even atoms) to devour and grow anymore, it could grow about the size of, what, a planet? Then, when it reaches the utter vacuum of space, that'd be it. Sure, big, scary and horrifying, but not universe-swallowing size.

Sounds more sci-fi than anything.
>>
>>19020232
>Then, when it reaches the utter vacuum of space, that'd be it. Sure, big, scary and horrifying, but not universe-swallowing size.
>Sounds more sci-fi than anything.
It absolutely is. That's why the only people who freak out about "other civilizations" discovering it are people who have absolutely no understanding of even the most basic concepts behind matter.
>>
>>19020244
Yeah, I even heard one time that in the "vacuum" of space, there's still approx 0.1 atom/cm3 in space, but even if there is no such thing as a true absence of matter, when the von Neumann machines hit those densities, it might still grow but at such an indescribably slow rate that it would be insignificant.

We're talking longer than the universe has existed for a cubic centimeter. Now, my BA is in film production and screenwriting, and I am no fucking expert, but I'm pretty sure that even at such a slow rate, he entropy or heat death of the universe would occur before it would even grow bigger than a cubic centimeter in the vacuum. Someone check my math.

But yeah, it's a neat concept, and I love it on an interest level, but it's hardly anything to be even remotely afraid of.
>>
It does exist, sorry to upset you. But at least it's extremely far away.
>>
File: flowstone-surge-21496-medium.jpg (53KB, 277x401px) Image search: [Google]
flowstone-surge-21496-medium.jpg
53KB, 277x401px
>>19017428
Computronium
>>
>>19020151
Loved that book. The second one just came out recently.
>>
Grey goo is just one "part" or interpretation of this idea. The reality is the idea of Von Nuemann probes, self-replicating space craft. They travel at whatever speed is dictated the max by the physical laws of our universe until they encounter suitable amounts of raw materials, then they begin converting the raw materials into more of themselves and begin spreading when no material remains.

Similar to the idea of a super-intelligence that wants to convert all matter in the universe into computing substrate.

Armed conflict with von nuemann probes would be pointless as the technological difference means they could probably just hit our planet with giant x-ray bursts until we all die, or throw rocks at just from the asteroid belt. But first they'd convert everything in the oort cloud, including dozens of planets larger than earth, into more von nuemann probes, then work their way inwards.
>>
>>19020361
Well you heard it folks, a 14 year old on /x/ verified it. Existence proven. Next topic.
>>
If they turn a planet into gray goo, wouldn't they be pulled together and unable to escape their own gravity?
>>
>>19020711

Possibly, depending on their AI potential. If that potential is low, then sure, they're bound to hit any number of hiccups. I think that any civilization designing these things would give them a high enough AI potential to overcome minor obstacles such as being forced into perfect spherical symmetry.

For instance, if they could use their own mass as fuel if it meant launching probes toward objects which contain more mass than would be exhausted by the projection.
>>
>>19020702
>>19020702
Lol believe what you want, but it's nothing we have to worry about in our lifetime
>>
>>19017428
Is this what the Falklands war was about?
>>
I dont see how man-made self replicating structures could outcompete all the existing self replicating structures that have billions of years of evolution behind them. Same reason i dont really fear AI
>>
>>19017428
Why wouldn't it be black goo. Since they would eat all light emmiting objects for energy and material.

Only truly universe evening Grey goo would be black goo
>>
The other thing you've got to worry about here is that even though we can't *currently* detect or see anything in the "vacuum of space", it doesn't mean that it's empty. It just means that we don't recognise or are unable to measure what's actually there. So the possibility of the entire universe being consumed by a von Neumann machine is suddenly much more likely and will happen in a much shorter timeframe. Sorry for pissing in your parade.
>>
>>19020845

These newer self-replicating systems, or nanomachines, have the advantage of being created intentionally with the awareness of sentient beings of how their own systems work. These sentient, intelligent beings, like us, could very likely articulate a replicating system far better than cold blind nature could within the same time span.

Sure, AI created over the course of a day or a year might not be on par with a human created via evolution over billions of years, but moment for moment, that AI is going to have been developed leaps and bounds more efficiently than natural life would have within the same amount of time.

But also, do remember, there is no such thing as unnatural, and ultimately even human creations are just a certain kind of byproduct of nature. Furthermore, AI isn't somehow parallel to human intellect; it is contingent upon and evolved from human intellect.

I personally don't think there's much to be afraid of either, but not because AI lacks the potential to usurp or endanger us. It could certainly do that if we willed it upon ourselves. I'm just slightly optimistic that we won't.
>>
Jordan Maxwell speaks regularly of the black goo... It's not the accidentally-destructive gray goo, but rather an AI nanobotty thing that's infected the planet... he's all over YouTube/etc
>>
File: benders.jpg (13KB, 301x168px) Image search: [Google]
benders.jpg
13KB, 301x168px
>>19017428
Millions of tiny benders.
>>
>>19017462
>In theory those are self replicating nano bots. Due to bugs in their code (or willingly) they will consume all matter to replicate even more.
Stop right there buddy, that's not how matter works.

If a critical mass is reached nothing can stop this big blob of grey goo from consuming everything in their own solar system, the galaxy or even the universe.
Yes, there are plenty of things such as say gravity, extreme temperatures or radiation that will fuck its shit up right quick.
The main issue here would likely be radiation which would cause random mutations, which would cause the goo to mutate and eventually turn on itself, either by mistake or because part of the goo has reached a level of intelligence that allows it to differentiate itself from the rest of the goo
>>
>>19017428
> von Neumann machines
You mean computers?
LARPING
A
R
P
I
N
G
>>
>>19017428
Life itself is the original grey goo imo. Molecular motors still shit on anything synthetic in terms of efficiency.
>>
>>19017428
Fugggg does anyone remember this one aliums show where this dude melts into this silver liquid stuff?
>>
>>19019540

What makes you think von Neumann stole his stuff.
>>
>>19020937
"We"

There is no "we." Humans aren't a hive mind. It only takes ONE.

Why would one make replicants?

-Because he thinks it'd be cool
-Because he thinks the danger is overstated
-To intentionally commit omnicide

Could be any or none of those reasons. But out of billions of humans, there's always going to be That One Guy.
>>
The Thing is a more realistic interpretation imo. You'd either have to be extremely smart or extremely stupid to cause a grey goo scenario, while The Thing could just evolve in some spacefaring civilisation somewhere and there'd be almost no way to stop it.
>>
>>19021432
This. What do you think we are?

Though, theoretically, we could design nanos ourselves to be "more efficient" or "better matter converters" but that is a dangerous game to play mang.
>>
>>19020871
>>19020884
Maybe that's why space is black...
>>
>>19020987
Grey goo cancer!
>>
>>19017753
huh, neat
>>
>>19022174

For every one guy using AI to fuck our shit up, there's going to be a hundred guys using AI for the implicit purpose of stopping people like that.

I find it extremely unlikely that the minority of misanthropic engineers and scientists could out-pace their colleagues who work for the collective interest and security of humanity.

Say what you will about the lack of correlation between altruism and collectivism, but even the most selfish individuals can rationalize themselves into seeing the benefits of a mutually beneficial society.

Also, I'm gonna make a potshot here: The only people I ever observe being afraid of AI at large or in general posing a threat to humanity are people who a) have no knowledge or interest in the field beyond the minimal research needed to form a confirmation bias, and b) make rather pitiful appeals to authority, citing pop-science arguments as to why we should be afraid. Nobody who actually studies, is interested in, or cares about, AI (or replicating technology), is particularly afraid of the technology.

If you want to take a Matrix approach of fear-mongering, they make it a point in that movie of saying humans STILL rely on technology, even when it is their mortal enemy. Humans COULD survive without machines by living as hunter-gatherers, and machines COULD live without humans nurturing them, but neither lifestyle is particularly preferable to symbiosis.
>>
>>19020192
>So if there is even 1 other alien race in the universe, suddenly the chance of the universe being destroyed by self-replicating nanobots is now 100%
>chance of universe
>now 100%
>chance
>100%

uhh no, not what he said at all. said 100% chance they would come up with it, not use it, dumb dumb
>>
>>19019983
Anon you could spend 10 seconds looking at a wikipedia page and just that would make you realise you have no clue what you're saying.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.