[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

strange thoughts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: giphy.gif (1MB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
1MB, 500x250px
Is there a term for something that is not technically impossible but might as well be impossible?

This may be OCD or something but I keep obsessing over thoughts like this. For instance, it is not impossible that I will fuck Taylor Swift but I know that it will literally never happen so where do you begin to draw the line?

Anything within the boundaries of physics and given a long enough timeline is possible. But we only have a very short lifespan. The more I think like this, the more life seems pre-ordained and deterministic. Its driving me insane and making me depressed
>>
Unlikely
>>
>>19009654
Virtually impossible. Don't be sad OP. We were all born as powerless meatbags destined for death anyway. The standards are so low in this universe that you'd be lucky just to have a healthy, functioning body for the short time you're here. Existence is really meaningless.
>>
>>19009654
Intrusive Thoughts?
>>
>>19009654
The term you're looking for is "improbable".

For example, it is improbable that OP will ever move out of his mother's basement and lose his virginity.
>>
>>19010355
Why do /b/tards insist on shitting in this yard when they have their own yard to shit in?
>>
I think if you put literally 100% of your mental, spiritual, and physical energy into fucking Taylor Swift you could probably or almost certainly do it
>>
>>19010418
well it is literally true.
>>
>>19009654
Taylor Swift is hella feminist, there's no point in trying.
>>
>IMPLAUSIBLE
>>
>>19009654
wow, does you do the English?

there's literally a dozen terms that mean that exact thing or something close

but if you're obsessing over it then the phrase you're looking for is "massive waste of time"
>>
>>19009654
I believe that you would find relief in Bayesian statistics.

I''ll give you a taste for freesies, in this thread.

Beb. Beb is a person who lives in this thread. Beb has seen the sun rise in the morning 4999 times. Beb has never seen the sun not rise. If it does rise tomorrow, Beb will have seen it rise 5000 times. If it does not rise tomorrow, Beb will have seen it rise 4999 times.

Beb thinks there is a (5000 + 4999) / 10000 = 99.99% chance that the sun will rise again tomorrow morning.

But if the sun does not rise tomorrow, Beb will not be surprised, because Beb knew that was always a possibility.

Bebs story ends when this thread is archived.
>>
Interesting topic:
Thinking about impossibility is fun—there are some things which are conceptually (logically) impossible, like a square circle...that is to say that they cannot even be thought, as they are a contradiction in terms; interestingly, but somewhat unrelated, this type of impossibility is a crucial distinction between the Christian and Islamic conception of God: in traditional Christian theology, God cannot do anything that is logically impossible, whereas in Islamic theology Allah can.

But mostly when people talk about impossibility they do not use it in this sense: they mean something either that cannot exist but can be conceptualized (like a perfect circle) or something that is just exceedingly unlikely. I would agree with the anon who classified this latter term as Virtually impossible.

Did that help at all, Anon?
>>
Miracle
>>
I try to believe three impossible things before breakfast every day
>>
File: 1483763828172.jpg (22KB, 514x514px) Image search: [Google]
1483763828172.jpg
22KB, 514x514px
>>19009654
I dont know a term for what you got, but may i suggest you stop thinking about it. Putting your mind on something not relevant to your life is making you anxious and that feeling will later evolve into something else, more than likely a feeling more worse and all because of your thinking
>>
File: the_impossible_is_easy.gif (59KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
the_impossible_is_easy.gif
59KB, 480x270px
Easy
>>
Anything is possible if you are willing to break the rules, and clever enough to get away with it. The question is whether you satisfy the condition.
>>
>>19009654
Yes, think of it as gap in scale. most people look at life in a practical and pragmatic way, despite the many different random things that are bound to happen.

you feel depressed for other reasons, mostly because you don't have a healthy home life, relationships, and productive work or scholastic effort. as you grow older the lack of children of your own will increase this depression, and nothing can fill it since it's a biological pressure you are ignoring.

as a whole the entire conceptual framework of mathematics, physics and computer science is undergoing a massive (and quiet) revolution right now, which will change how these fields are taught in the near future. my tip? learn how to draw, especially 3d objects, and how to think about objects in rotation, stretching them in weird shapes. if you master this skill, within the next 10 years you will have a very valuable tool with which to do cutting edge scientific research, never having to pick up a single theory or text book.
>>
This is anxiety, OP. Go find some xans and take when it gets too bad.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.