[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weird unexplained noise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: 1i030w.jpg (399KB, 2492x793px) Image search: [Google]
1i030w.jpg
399KB, 2492x793px
So, newfag here. Decided to post here since i dont know where else the fuck to ask.

have y'all ever heard of the strange sounds coming from the sky?

The most common one is the hum.

I cant tell if this belongs on /x/ or /sci/ so im just posting it to both since it sorta teters on the edge of both

recently, i've been hearing a very strange, loud popping sound from seemingly nowhere.

It sounds like.. a gunshot of sorts. But a bit more high pitched. It is EXTREMELY loud, enough to cause me to panic. Both times I heard it were somewhat early morning, around 2am maybe?

the first time I heard it, i was talking to some friends at a livestream and thought maybe it was a gunshot, a car, my breakers blowing, and some other things.

Dont feel like going into too much detail but I managed to prove all of those false.

Second time, I was wide awake, reading something quietly. Once again, it was so incredibly loud that it caused me to panic. I couldn't pinpoint a spot it was from, but i looked around just in case and found nothing that could cause it.

It is like a firecracker or a gun went off, but x5 times as loud. I also live in an area where... well guns and firecrackers are both extremely rare and basically non existent.

Any ideas 4chan?
>>
Has anyone heard it in the same vicinity or just you

If just you, could be exploding head syndrome
>>
>>18992528
sadly, exploding head syndrome only happens when you're falling asleep. I was wide awake both times. Already looked into that but thanks
>>
Is there usually any traffic in your neighborhood/area? Do you live in a city or a more rural area?

I heard that stuff occasionally and was startled every time, but my dad confirmed it was a car tyre blowing up. It's really loud, especially if it's not very windy or anything, and the sound can bounce off walls/buildings/hills and rocks. Even more so if it's a tyre of a van or truck or something.

Anyway, just something to consider and possibly even test out.
>>
>>18992604
Can confirm, I lived near a highway for awhile, truck tire blows are spectacularly loud.
>>
Oh and I remember one story about weird sounds/hum. I used to spend summer nights outdoors when I was camping as a teen. Sometimes I'd hear this muffled, low, barely audible buzz or hum that seemed to come from nowherea very low voice. No one could explain what it was, and then years after the incident(s) I realized it was a mating call of a bittern, probably in the distance. Such a super low voice, would have never believed it came from a bird
>>
>>18992614
i do live in a city, but not a very big one. I feel if it was that i'd be able to pinpoint it, but i'll google what that sounds like to see if it matches up, thanks!
>>
I made a similar post a few months ago with the audio because I heard an extremely loud and continuous noise coming out of nowhere at 1 or 2 in the morning , I live in a big city btw. My grandma did also hear it but nobody seems to care. It's pretty scary if you ask me.
>>
>>18992638
it is extremely scary. sadly I cant capture audio of my experience because It just happens once, very loudly, then stops. What did yours sound like?
>>
read up on Exploding head syndrome and see if that sounds likely
>>
>>18992717
Exploding head syndrome only happens when you're right about to fall asleep, I was wide awake both times and never experienced EHS before. But thank you!
>>
File: IMG_3727.jpg (56KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3727.jpg
56KB, 500x375px
Exploding head syndrome
>>
It's not EHS, what's your general elevation, local terrain, and distance from sea? There is a name for a potential phenomena that you are hearing. Brb, x-memes.
>>
>>18992542
False. It can happen anytime whether you're awake or asleep.
>>
>>18992818
Okay OP, look up "Seneca Guns", "skyquakes" will bring it up on Wikipedia. I've been curious if this one is a real phenomena, but ocurrances date back further than the "talos hum", if memory serves. One theory I have heard for the seneca guns phenomena is that when conditions are just right you can hear sudden massive barometric pressure shifts, eg when a wave of hot air hits cold, still air.. like around sun rise, when the "guns" have frequently been heard.
>>
Could be brontides. Last I checked no one could explain those though.
>>
>>18992818
my elevationis 34 feet above sea level, im quite close to the ocean (west coast canadian)and I live in a temperate rainforest if that helps at all.
>>
>>18992848
Did you just suggest swamp gas?

>MIB detected
>>
>>18992840
I looked up Seneca Guns and it is not like that, but holy shit that's scary. it doesn't sound like skyquakes either. I may look online for a sound that sounds similar to it to help people out.
>>
>>18992862
Okay yeah, could very well be applicable, to my knowledge even early American settlers in the Pacific northwest didn't know what to make of the phenomena that seems similar to what you describe. Cool stuff OP, sounds like you are getting spooped by genuine, documented phenomena.
>>
>>18992865
Hmm, look up the "talos hum" that I suggested, see if that's a closer match.
>>
>>18992866
well fuck then. Thats pretty damn cool. Is there a specific name for these pops/bangs or is it not documented enough to have a name?
>>
>>18992867
sadly, no. The taos hum (is thats what you mean, i couldn't find a talos hum) is well. a hum. This is a very loud bang noise
>>
>>18992867
I really am confused though, did you hear a continuous sound or a brief sound in these phenomena? I believe that RU and US have been running drills over the Pacific recently, sound can carry quite a ways over flat water, especially in an inversion layer.. you could have heard jets going full burner.
>>
>>18992871
Oops, yeah that may be it, in new Mexico. The "skyquakes" phenomena is the closest thing that comes to mind for what you describe, especially if other people have heard it at the same time as you.
>>
>>18992874
its just a very jarring, sudden loud bang. it sounds like somebody lit off a firecracker right in my lap with how loud it is, and its just the one bang, then its done. but i doesn't sound quite like a firecracker? I tried to google sounds that sound like it, but i couldn't find any. but imagining a firecracker but much higher pitched is the best I can give sadly.
>>
>>18992878
sadly im actually not sure if anybody else heard it. My parents slept through it (yeah i live at home with them lol) and i dont really know any neighbours. I was at a livestream, so I could ask if my friends heard it, but my microphone is pretty shit so it may not of even picked up sadly.
>>
That's a dead match for the "skyquakes" aka "Seneca guns" phenomena so far as I can tell. I think it was even mentioned at some point in the logs for the "Lewis and Clark expedition". We know there weren't jet fighters breaking mach 1 back then lol.
>>
>>18992893
Google confirms, and many accounts worldwide too, some descriptions from over a century ago are almost your description verbatim.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.