[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any ideas on what these things are?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: Night_carriage.jpg (747KB, 1063x752px)
Night_carriage.jpg
747KB, 1063x752px
So, my grandparents grew up during the early 20th century in small eastern European villages. If you want to get a grasp of how life looked like in these parts, well, imagine no electricity, isolation from the rest of the world, horses still used for transportation, basically not much has been changed since the
18th century. Naturally, as people were rather superstitious back then combined with conditions in which they lived, they had a lot of /x/ related stuff happening.

Now, they (mostly grandad who was older than grandma) used to tell me plenty of such stories but one of them is especially interesting because unlike most others it was something everybody seemed to firmly believe in and my grandpa even experienced it. It was something that by the way he described it resembled some kind of plasma balls or orbs. They called it what could be translated as "chandlers" or candle carriers because these orbs resembled candle fire and they belived these were wandering souls/ spirits of the dead.

I'll greentext how encounters with these things typically looked like.

>be my grandpa, about 18ish
>travel back home from the nearest town, alone, it's already dark
>riding a carriage pulled by 2 horses
>going trough the woods
>horses suddenly stop, obviously very scared
>refuse to go forward even as he yells at them and beats them with a riding crop
>out of the woods about a dozen of these light orbs come
>they circle around and get very close, less then 2 meters away
>he is scared shitless by now
>continues to beat horses as hard as he could to get them moving
>they finally listen and he GTFOs not looking back
>>
Fireflies?
>>
File: Pepethebee.jpg (46KB, 590x660px)
Pepethebee.jpg
46KB, 590x660px
>>18931014
>implying people who spent most of their time outside/ in nature wouldn't recognise one of the most common bugs during summer evenings in that time
>>
File: 1435959951846.png (214KB, 500x500px)
1435959951846.png
214KB, 500x500px
Most likely fireflies. And they probably saved your grandad, too.
Fireflies (usually) live around marshes and bodies of water. The small glowworms need the rich and soft almost-putrid wood that comes near water.
Horses stopped because they sensed water. The carriage, the horses and your grandpa scared as fuck yelling at the horses to move startled a couple dozen fireflies.
Your grandpa being scared shitless for being inside the fucking wood at night didnt process the bugs as fireflies, and thats if he ever saw them before.

Alternatively, your grandpa lied. Its just a made up horror story.

>>18931033
>fireflies are in the middle of the forest
>you are not
>>oh oh how come you never saw a firefly
I live in the middle of fucking nowhere and the nearest source of fireflies is a swamp 30 minutes away. Fireflies very rarely go away from their local area.
>>
>>18931060
>your grandpa lied

Yeah, he just might, but my grandma also claims such things often happened and she is about ten years younger and didn't grow up in the same place.
And the way they described it is pretty much like the pic related in OP.
>>
i never saw fireflies growing up but when i moved to new york and they were around i can't say it occurred to me to describe them as "glowing orbs".

>Horses stopped because they sensed water.

what the fuck? you think horses are incapable of moving down a road they've been down fifty times because there's a river somewhere nearby and you have to beat them for fifteen minutes to get them to start up again?

it's important to question shit and everything on /x/ is fake, but jesus, the amount of pure bullshit imagination it takes to skeptic detective your way out of the armchair is unbelievable. don't make up insane details about a third-hand experience.

fifty jillion other things could explain glowing orbs startling horses without invoking "the horses might have smelled water which might have been nearby in my imagination".

>And they probably saved your grandad, too.

from what? traveling down a road? you get that he eventually did continue down that road and nothing happened, right? you make it sound like he was about to drive his horses off a cliff into a bottomless marsh.
>>
>fireflies

Have you never been outside before? The fuck man
>>
could be fireflies or whisps
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.