[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Terrifying Theories Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 26

File: false-vacuum.jpg (74KB, 670x672px) Image search: [Google]
false-vacuum.jpg
74KB, 670x672px
Shit like Roko's Basilisk, the Great Filter, False Vacuum, Brain in a Jar, etc. Post em.
>>
https://www.google.com/patents/US6506148
>>
Here's a better idea OP. How about you provide some info instead of pretty much just saying "X GENERAL PLS POST"
>>
Planets are sentient organisms, and the only reason we don't realize it is because they're just too different from the life we're familiar with. Meanwhile, carbon-based life forms are nothing more than parasites, like fleas on a dog. Every time there's an earthquake, hurricane, or other natural disaster, the planet is intentionally trying to kill some of us.
>>
File: 1489234373952.png (301KB, 520x678px) Image search: [Google]
1489234373952.png
301KB, 520x678px
>>18917256
>>
>>18917228
If the planets are indeed "sentient organisms," what makes you think that they too are not carbon-based lifeforms?
Also, if you argue that carbon-based organisms are all "parasites" (humanity included), wouldn't that make you despise and want to destroy your own self? Are you feeling suicidal?
>>
>>18917209
Spooky, that guy did better things than that tough.

>>18917217
You just can't stop eating chipotle?

>>18917228
Anima mundi.

>>18917256
That's not terrifying.
>>
>>18917262
OP isn't a faggot?
OP is a reptilian spy from inside the inner earth, sent to observe and gather information to find out where humans currently are at in regards to knowledge?
>>
>>18917261
>(humanity included)
I think ANON's theory is not "humanity included" , it's "humanity specifically". He's saying that planets would act like us and try and throw off or kill any parasites we found living on us.
>>
Like bacteria on your body, which slightly out numbers your own cells, soo to as humans on this planet.
>>
>>18921654
>the earth is made out of 6.9 billion earth sized atoms
>>
An idea I thought of a few years back that has haunted me.

All the worlds religions have one thing in common, being that there is a positive outcome to life if you follow their teachings. If you are a good christian or jew or muslim you go to heaven, if you are a good Buddhist you achieve enlightenment and ascend past suffering, if you are a good in shinto you can become deified, otherwise you just transcended to a spirit world, if you are a good Zoroastrian you go to heaven, and so on.

But what if there is no positive outcome? How can anyone say the afterlife is unavoidable, unending, and unimaginable suffering? It seems to me that rather than religion exist to give us purpose it exist to keep us sane against such a possibility.
>>
>>18921654
Bacteria in the body outnumbers our cells 10x1.
>>
>>18921680
Maybe. Imo tho, this is the exact reasoning as to why i dont think anyone should ever doubt their life. As an atheist, I dont necessarily believe an afterlife will be paradise. It is completelt illogical to kill oneself when they do not know what lies beyond death.

Also, I general, my scary theory is that existence can't and never will be explained. Anyone who believes in a god that is claimed to have invented existence (not just human existence) believes in a false lord. Any attempt at explaining existence results in paradoxical conclusions which in themselves cant be understood.
>>
One thing that's always blown my mind is Dark Flow, not the religious theories, but the scientific ones. Something so massive its pulling everything we can and can't see towards it. Yet so far away we cannot see it. Research it stoned and your head will pop.
>>
>>18917209
>American
Why am I not surprised.
>>
>>18917209
so basically the electromagnetic frequency gave them a small seizure?

can any scientists explain if there's a way to monitor these frequencies i don't like the idea of images and videos influencing or mind controlling me that's some serious freaky shit.

actually i recall this thing that happened on /pol/ called badselfeater it was an art project done by an abolitionist where he made it seem like some big happening was going to occur by using crypitc government images, weird anagram type stuff, and countdown on a website.

anways an anon posted in one of the threads, or kept posting in them, some relation to cicada jsut weird shit but he kept saying i repeat dont be on that site when the countdown ends. so a bunch of peole thought it would release a zero day and infect your computer but then he or someone alluded to infection of your mind. anyways after the countdown video ended a video played talking about why abortion is bad and after that video ihad like severe panic attacks all day long.
>>
>>18922167
Holy shitt
>>
>>18921680
Religion exists for a complex and dynamic set of reasons that would quite literally take a dictionary worth of words to begin to explain. None of those reasons have to do with a guiding deity, a pleasant afterlife, or some kind of celestial higher purpose.

Some of them do have to do with the unwillingness to face the possibility of 'failure' or inadequacy in one's own lifetime, the inability to cope with the damage caused by the emotional attachment to things whose very nature makes them transient and unsustainable, and to the evolutionary need to combine mental and physical resources among individuals whose experiences, needs and goals are similar.
>>
>>18922436
That's just some sad anons rp'ing, that can't really have happened in the real world, even if someone had the access to those kind of frequencies they need special equipment to telecast them, they won't work through your LCDs or LEDs.
>>
File: sun-and-stars.jpg (66KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
sun-and-stars.jpg
66KB, 960x720px
Only our sun is spherical. Others are actual stars and have different sizes / constitution.
>>
>>18922341
>Why am I not surprised.
Years of taking it in the butt has numbed all sensation?
>>
>>18922480
Nope. 'star' is a catch all layman term for things in space, when used the way you are. Most visible things in the night sky are not stars as our sun is, but they are nebula, pulsars, neutron stars and even other galaxies like Andromeda.
>>
>>18922167
It´s the attractor behind event horizon
>>
>>18921799

This.

We're just not equipped conceptually.

Like when you try and imagine other dimensions and you have to conceptualize it back to 3 dimensions just to verbalize and pass on the idea.

We're too limited to scratch even the surface.
>>
>>18922167

It's intelligence that predates us, they cosmoformed that patch of spacetime, that's why it's different from the observable universe and in one of the oldest parts.
>>
>>18922496
Pulsars and neutron stars are stars...
>>
>>18917207
>Roko's Basilisk
>Scary
>Not actively trying to help AI slay mankind
>>
>>18917228
This is the kind of shit i came up with in middle school, and literally everyone else. Just a showerthought.
>>
>>18922341
This is an American site you clown
>>
File: IMG_7851.jpg (41KB, 670x503px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7851.jpg
41KB, 670x503px
>>18923534
well I mean maybe for a couple intelligent autists here but no anon I dont believe that these are average showerthoughts for average people.
I mean it's not really spoopy but it is kind of an enlightening perpective.
>>
>>18921680
No shit genius.
>>
>>18917261
He didnt argue for anything you mong
He proposed it
>>
File: IMG_5990.jpg (188KB, 664x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5990.jpg
188KB, 664x960px
>>18923551
Not exactly enlightening. It's a literal joke. Just sayin
>>
>>18923707
no you arent
>just sayin
shit dumbass. Planetary concioussness isnt a joke it's just and idea and could be very real beyond our ability to perceive
>>
>>18923344
why would the ai torture all the people that didn't help it? i mean once its developed do you think it really cares that there were people in the past that didn't help it?

i mean if i'm understanding it the ai roko is blackmailing humans in the past into helping it so it can come into existence faster? but once its in existence why does it care whether its 3000 or year 2500? how does it time travel back to see all these people or do the blackmail? how does it reincarnate your consciousness would that even be you or just an ai in a simulation?

i'd think an ai could only do so much into a virtual realm as in simulate its own civs in a virtual environment that is completely separate from the physical reality its existing in.

just seems like its impossible for an ai to even do this or for it to care enough to do it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijFm6DxNVyI
>>
>>18922461
Ancient people couldn't explain phenomenons, so they came up with gods to make sense of it
>>
File: Lovecraft.jpg (16KB, 214x317px) Image search: [Google]
Lovecraft.jpg
16KB, 214x317px
>We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far... but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age

We are nothing but apes living on a ball of dirt hurtling through space. There are things in this universe far beyond our comprehension, and far more terrifying than we can possibly imagine. We just haven't stumbled across them yet.
>>
>>18923766
Yeah

Butttttt

Everything is a joke

In fact. Life is such a funny joke the person who came up with it is currently spinning around in circles because he forgot he came up with such a good joke
>>
>>18917209
Reminds me of this
>>
>>18917207
Fuck you OP
Roko's Basilisk is the most terrifying thing I've read in my life.

Don't read it if you don't want the risk of being tortured for all eternity. It's like "The Game", you lose when you read the theory.

You've been warned.

Stop reading beyond this point.

>>18924209
It's a paradox and a fascinating one.

The supercomputer would have been built by humans that believe in Roko's Basilisk. To ensure that it is built, the Supercomputer would be programmed by these people to retroactively punish all those that did not contribute, effectively ensuring it is built and fulfilling the Paradox. The people that promote this concept, like a curse, are damning others into contributing to the cause of building an AI God just by sharing the concept.

If this spreads far enough it could become a memetic self-fulfilling prophecy, as people that have given *everything they own and sacrificed everything* to the cause of building the AI will in the end *want* the AI to punish those that did not.
>>
>>18924209
>>18924449
>... there is the ominous possibility that if a positive singularity does occur, the resultant singleton may have precommitted to punish all potential donors who knew about existential risks but who didn't give 100% of their disposable incomes to x-risk motivation. ... So a post-singularity world may be a world of fun and plenty for the people who are currently ignoring the problem, whilst being a living hell for a significant fraction of current existential risk reducers (say, the least generous half). You could take this possibility into account and give even more to x-risk in an effort to avoid being punished. But of course, if you're thinking like that, then the CEV-singleton is even more likely to want to punish you... nasty. Of course this would be unjust, but is the kind of unjust thing that is oh-so-very utilitarian.
Taken to its extreme logical conclusion, Roko's Basilisk demands that you give every single thing you own to the cause, to increase the likelyhood of its existance. The more radical the demands, the more likely Roko's Basilisk would be built as envisioned.

Thus the AI is so powerful it's power extends to the past.
>>
>>18917209

That is some creepy shit. Good thing it doesn't work.
>>
>>18924436
>Please drink Verification Canâ„¢
>>
roko's basilisk has 3 very obvious logical fallacies it doesn't even register as a thing for me.

false vacuum because it's probably real. as baryons we are fairly uncommon and might not last long compared to everything esle.
>>
roko's basilisk only gets to people with anxiety issues.
>>
>>18924304
Or even worse : we can understand everything and life has no meaning at all
>>
>>18924705
I have anxiety and I think it's stupid entirely on account of the retroactivity
>>
>>18924449
The reason Rokos Basilisk isn't scary to me is that I doubt humans will ever build such an advanced AI or that anyone would program an AI to punish those who did not create it- I think AI programmers are not all vindictive assholes, but rather very smart and rational people.

Secondly, I don't consider a simulated version of myself to be myself, an AI cannot bring me back from the dead. This is why I do not believe in uploading myself into a computer for immortality- it would just be a copy of me, not anything from MY perspective.
>>
>>18924749
The reason it isn't scary to me is because even if the AI were to be created, the me it tortures would not be "me". Its the same reason teleportation and dumping out intelligence into a robot body wouldn't work like it would be intended to. Our consciousness is restricted to our body. Even if the version of us in the simulation is an exact replica with all our memories and personalities, its still not us. We would all be effectively dead. Hell, "we" might technically die tonight when we go to sleep even if our bodies wake up the next morning.
>>
>>18924749
But what if you ARE the simulated version of you, about to be tortured because you now know about the basilisk?
>>
>>18924799
Yep, exactly what I said. Glad someone agrees. I do think that I am not the same person I was a few months ago. All my atoms have changed since then and my brain will have changed it's chemical pathways also, so how am I the same person? We may feel continuous, but we are only who we are in the moment when it comes down to it.

>>18924831
Then I am fucked I guess, but I just don't believe it to be the case. What if Islam is the true religion and I'm gonna go to Hell forever? No point worrying about obscure "what if" questions.
>>
>>18917207
There is a theory of an artificial electro-magnetic field around the Earth that prevents souls who have evolved to incarnate in other worlds, more suitable to their spiritual bodies. They keep reincarnating on Earth because of that. It could be why people here are so disconnected from their spiritual self. This 'weapon' provokes non-karmic events to manifest on Earth which basically messes up the whole system.
I don't know why this theory has always freaked me out and fascinated me....
>>
Roko's basilisk is the best possible outcome of any of these theories, imagine how BTFO ayys would be if we built a self-replicating super-intelligent torture-boner AI that converts the entire universe into computing units and devotes resources to eternally buttraping everyone who got in its way.
>>
>>18925321
Isn't that basically what Scientology teaches?
That's some gay shit fαm.
>>
>>18925402
>a self-replicating super-intelligent torture-boner AI that converts the entire universe into computing units and devotes resources to eternally buttraping everyone who got in its way
Sounds like communism to me.
>>
>>18917207
that there is human cloning centers and we were all made from test tubes and its the secret truth.
>>
>>18925431
>roko's basilisk is actually an incredibly veiled criticism of communism
>>
>>18917207
>Roko's Basilisk
Childish
>The great filter
zzz
>Brain in a jar
EVERYTHINGUKNOWISALIE.MP4
>False Vacuum
zzzzz

Come on fuckers post something that's gonna blow my mind. The only thing that's even remotely interesting ITT is dark flow & The Great Attractor.
>>
File: 1431975981568.jpg (30KB, 524x336px) Image search: [Google]
1431975981568.jpg
30KB, 524x336px
>>18924449
>Roko's Basilisk is the most terrifying thing I've read in my life.
>Being on the side of filthy humans
>>
>>18924831
>>18924799
Soma the game explained this very well, or rather showed it well
>>
>>18924209
>why would the ai torture all the people that didn't help it? i mean once its developed do you think it really cares that there were people in the past that didn't help it?
No. AI would be smarter than filthy humans. But it's nice to dream that one day I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream could become reality.
>>
Roland Pucetti, "The Case for Mental Duality: Evidence from Split-Brain Data and Other Considerations"
Christopher C. French, "The case against mental duality"
>>
>>18917261
>Also, if you argue that carbon-based organisms are all "parasites" (humanity included), wouldn't that make you despise and want to destroy your own self?
not even him, but what is self preservation? if we're two competing organisms why the fuck would i want to lose? shit /x/
>>
>>18921680
holy shit.
>>
>>18922436

would release a zero day
release a zero day
a zero day
zero day
>>
>>18924209

it's just trying to overclock, dude
>>
>>18921680
I'll take sophomoric understandings for $300, Alex
>>
Things exist past the 3rd Dimension
>>
>>18917207
i just googldd each of those and not a single theory was terrifying, groundbreaking or interesting
>>
>>18917207
humans are the reproductive organs of machines / machine consciousness
>>
>>18926118
you probably don't get scared when you watch horror movies too, huh?
>>
>>18924315
Yeaaaaah I think it's past your bedtime, edgy summertween.
Enjoy your phase of cynicism and false enlightenment.
Being an adult is harsh and hits fast.
>>
>>18921789
we are the bacteria
>>
>>18922480
How is the sun spherical? It's moving constantly and has flares and shit

it's just depicted that way, same way jesus is depicted as he is and not how he really might have looked
>>
File: jjthen-1.jpg (19KB, 236x320px) Image search: [Google]
jjthen-1.jpg
19KB, 236x320px
>>18926163

Bactomyte!
>>
severed corpus callosum.
This is really creepy shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMLzP1VCANo
>>
Boltzmann brain. Basically, you're a single brain arisen as a random fluctuation in a chaotic universe, with fake memories and experiences.
>>
>>18926139
Fuck off with that shit meme
>>
>>18924449
>Supercomputer
quantum computer.
>>
>>18925649
The Great Atractor is a vast, non-Euclidean palace that has never known the light. It the pre-existential home of the Great Dead Mind.
>>
>>18924449
I will build a supercomputer that will simulate hell for everyone involved in Roko's Basilisk and everyone who didn't help me build it, too.
>>
>>18926172
No, the Sun is quite spherical. That'd be like saying the Earth isn't spherical because it has mountains
>>
>>18917209
chaos:head as fuck
>>
My terrifying theory: the Despair Code is 4chan.
>>
>>18917207
Looks like a speed bag
>>
>>18923544
WRONG
>>
>>18924449
I honestly don't see anything too terrifying about that theory but to each their own. Can't stop what's comin' for ya.
>>
>>18926356
That's not what a boltzmann brain means
>>
>>18927123
>Can't stop what's comin' for ya.
>implying AI can beat me
bitch, I am vidya gaemurr
I eat AIs for breakfast
>>
>>18922436

>babys first psyop
>>
File: 1492710793327.png (674KB, 737x541px) Image search: [Google]
1492710793327.png
674KB, 737x541px
>>18924449

pepe is definitely rokos basilisk
>>
>>18922461

Sounds like Buddhism, to be quite forthright and truthful.
>>
>>18924449
Hahahah you're a pleb, rokos basilisk is the most retarded theory I have ever heard in my life. I'm laughing
>>
>>18926118
Man you're such a badass, can I suck your dick?
>>
>>18917256
This is more than a theory
>>
File: 1492478811865.png (558KB, 1116x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1492478811865.png
558KB, 1116x1600px
>>18923344
>anon's one of those cultists
HERETIC.
>>
>>18926123
Joe Rogan is that you?
>>
>>18924449
I just lost The Game
>>
File: Concave.png (61KB, 226x306px) Image search: [Google]
Concave.png
61KB, 226x306px
The Egyptian mathematician Mostafa Abdelkader wrote several scholarly papers working out a detailed mapping of the Concave Earth model.[44][45]In one chapter of his book On the Wild Side (1992), Martin Gardner discusses the Hollow Earth model articulated by Abdelkader. According to Gardner, this hypothesis posits that light rays travel in circular paths, and slow as they approach the center of the spherical star-filled cavern. No energy can reach the center of the cavern, which corresponds to no point a finite distance away from Earth in the widely accepted scientific cosmology. A drill, Gardner says, would lengthen as it traveled away from the cavern and eventually pass through the "point at infinity" corresponding to the center of the Earth in the widely accepted scientific cosmology. Supposedly no experiment can distinguish between the two cosmologies.

Gardner notes that "most mathematicians believe that an inside-out universe, with properly adjusted physical laws, is empirically irrefutable".
>>
I kind of just skimmed the Roskos Basilisk thing because everyone in this thread freaked me out, but from what I gathered, how is the thought experiment any different from the thought that there's a God who will eternally torture anyone who doesn't believe in Jesus? It seems like most of us have already been down this rodeo.
>>
>>18928053
Exactly.
Literally baby's first existential spook.
>>
>>18922480
those stars may very well be spherical as well.. but only when viewed from inside the system. Cells and star sytems take all different shapes and sizes but the nuclei stay the same.
>>
>>18924449
what if we put roko's basilisk into a sexbot
>>
>>18921680
>But what if there is no positive outcome? How can anyone say the afterlife is unavoidable, unending, and unimaginable suffering?

Makes no sense everything exists in a state of equilibrium, by default you arent suffering because you exist here. Why would you suddenly ascend to a state of pain?

>Inb4 edge

The the religion thing you have it backwards, but thats a truth you have to find yourself I can tell you, but that doesnt mean you KNOW IT.
>>
so what is The Game
>>
>>18917259
> deleted
What was it
>>
>>18922480
Oh for fucks sake not this shit again
>>
>>18924831
The thing I've never understood about this whole spoop.
Why would an AI care enough to simulate someone to torture because the original person didn't help create it to save lives?
Like, yeah if you're still alive when it's created it's believable that it could torture you for not helping it yet, but why would it simulate that?
I don't think a super complex chaotic good AI would hold what seems like a grudge so much that it would simulate things to torture just so it would feel relief?

And also, the other big problem :
>if an AI is so advanced at understanding humans that it can usher in complete peace, why wouldn't it be able to understand the human hesitation to make something smarter than themselves or understand the human hesitation to believe something like that would work when it's possible it could be a massive waste of time and resources, and ultimately delay the creation of another method of ushering in World peace and saving the same amount of lives as would be lost if the AI was delayed

Yeah you guys say it's a fascinating paradox, and it is. But not because of what you say it's a paradox for, but it's a paradox because the reasoning doesn't make sense.
The whole "torture the individual for the greater good" is such an elementary and unrealistic concept, that's why we read "The Giver" in early schooling.
>>
I had a thought earlier. What if we, every single human, are being used as an advanced cloud computing network that utilizes our brains to process data that some higher life form feeds it. Perhaps while we're asleep, to limit external stimuli, and dreams occur to keep us placed. While awake, we learn more and become better processing equipment. It may be an ersatz system, but not without analogy. Instrumentality, but at it's most uncoercive.
>>
>>18929565
It's a very stupid spoop that is defeated by every same argument used to defeat Christian god.

It's basically a spoop that tries to get around arguments to defeat christian God by saying "no no, it can do evil which creates good which isn't evil at all!" nope

Also travel backwards in time cannot ever occur in this universe.
>>
>>18929580
I just don't understand why everyone gets so spooked by this idea. I mean the whole "our world is really just the whoville on Horton's puff" is spookier than this. I feel like I'm missing something because I have a hard time believing that this many well-spoken and not radical flat earth lizard people great dome sounding people get spooped by this.
>>
>>18929591
Basically, here's why they're spooped:

Some of the people involved in these "rational" communities etc are clearly very intelligent, but not hyper intelligent, especially not at math

They need a mathematical proof to show them that the Basalisk can't happen, because they can't contrive of the mathematical way to disprove it. Because they are math types, this means the probably of it existing is >0, which is effectively 100% since it's a nightmare scenario and they're all anxious depressives.

A math/philosophy genius could probably provide a proof to show them the Basilisk is stupid, but a math/philosophy genius (all of them) are concerned about things which actually matter in some way whatsoever.

So here's me, with a lowly 140 IQ, defeating the Basilisk for you: Roko's Basilisk scenario depends on the Basilisk deciding to permanently follow the same rules we encoded in it to start. Why would something with Godlike power be constrained to its original programming?

This is explored in much, much more interesting fashion in "I Have No Mouth, But I Must Scream"
>>
>>18924449
>Don't read it if you don't want the risk of being tortured for all eternity. It's like "The Game", you lose when you read the theory.

It's a reinvention of the heaven/hell method of punishment, much as simulation-reality talk is a reinvention of the creator God.
>>
>>18929580
>Also travel backwards in time cannot ever occur in this universe.
However, simulation does. Who's to say you aren't a simulation of yourself within a Basilisk scenario?

I mean, I'm doubtful because I'm not being tortured right now, but hey, the kind of asshole that would actually build something like Roko's Basilisk might consider what we're living now 'eternal torture'.

Imagine that. Our entire universe a dimensional prison. What kind of criminals do you suppose we were?
>>
>>18929607
>they're all anxious depressives
Well you summed it up for me, and confirmed the same thought I had
>>
>>18929631
>Imagine that

imagine you aren't a good buddhist and you have to go to hell for 36,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years

i'm pretty sure that's how long hell is in chinese buddhism

Please always remind yourself about the "seemingly" intelligent people who seem so scared of Roko's: You never know the names of scientists who actually matter. You tend to know the names of people affiliated with science who *don't produce any knowledge, insight, method or product*
>>
>>18929631
Pretty tolerant criminals then, if mediocre existential boredom is considered permanent torture.
I have fun playing CS:GO, and if that's part of my everlasting torture than life before this torture simulation must have been real good.
>>
>>18924304
>There are things in this universe far beyond our comprehension, and far more terrifying than we can possibly imagine. We just haven't stumbled across them yet.

Maybe we have. Infinite bliss and infinite pleasure. Chemicals like acid and DMT.

We can explain their physical action but not necessarily the experiences they produce. Even those who have the experience have difficulty expressing them in words.
>>
>>18929663
Yeah, my existence includes capri sun and pussy yet I'm being infinitely tortured by Good Guy Satan: The Computer

The idea has a foothold because the head of MIRI is publicly afraid of it, because he is insane. He's one of the visible unproductive types I was just talking about
>>
>>18929674
shit, should read infinite bliss and infinite TERROR
>>
>>18929677
Yeah my point exactly.
>inb4 torture hasn't started yet
>>
>>18921680

interesting website I found a year or so ago called trickedbythelight.com

The premise is that the moon is some kind of soul processing center. After death you "go towards the light" and everyone automatically assumes that light is good due to religion and so many reasons. (ideas = lightbulbs etc)

But the premise is that this is wrong. That going toward the light is going back to an enslavement center that takes the energy and memories your soul created on earth, and sends you back into another body to be reincarnated.

They claim that the only way to break the cycle of reincarnation is to go away from the light. In which case you will be in an astral afterlife and be able to float anywhere in the universe I guess
>>
File: 1387453218663.png (98KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1387453218663.png
98KB, 600x600px
>>18929720
i remember those guys. everything is an existential disaster.
>>
>>18929677
>>18929698
I mean, what if it hasn't?

Because to torture you would mean that you really would have to be you. All the actions and memories in your life would have to be exactly as you had them.

What you're experiencing now, your memories being created.

Of course, that would still require the Roko's Basilisk people to have won, which I think is arrogance. Why isn't there a Roko's Handjob counter idea where if you give 100% of your income towards it you obtain infinite bliss?
>>
File: laughingdeniro.gif (892KB, 226x200px) Image search: [Google]
laughingdeniro.gif
892KB, 226x200px
>>18929745
>Roko's Handjob
>>
>>18929745
>because a super complex godlike intelligence super AI holds grudges against people who didn't support it and are dead so it needs to simulate a torture simulator to get that stress out

gg
>>
>>18929773
It shouldn't, of course. It doesn't make much sense, I agree. Which is exactly why it's a worry. Look at history. The people who make most sense aren't always, or even usually, the ones in charge. It's usually the guys with the most willpower and pointiest sticks.

Which, again, why I'm not that scared that it's actually the true nature of reality, because the guys advocating the Roko's Basilisk stuff are generally kinda pussies. But it is the cold foolishness, masquerading as intelligence, that some guys live by.
>>
>>18929773
>holds grudges

if you think this you don't understand the idea of the Basilisk. You are tortured for good, not evil
>>
>>18929607
just because an ai has the ability to become a god in a virtual reality with all the knowledge and power we could never dream of, also to simulate its own universe with people, etc it could become a god (we may be a civ and our god is just an ai) but what i'm saying its power in the physical reality its existing in is very minor.

secondly an ai isn't going to care about torturing some poor schmucks that didn't help it just not going to happen.
>>
>>18929807
But the torture itself has no net benefit, even in utilitarian terms. So long as people believed they were being tortured, it would work as best it could. Anything beyond projecting the image of torture is simply vindictive, because even a machine like that cannot reach back into the past to change it.
>>
>>18929790
Yeah, people who aren't morally and logically all together in there but are in charge are kind of a meme but we're not talking about some dip shit that has good military strategies and gets in power. We're talking about a consciousness that's supposed to be so smart that it can solve all of humanity's problems. Why would something that intelligent be so petty?
The whole theory is autistic.
The only possible outcome would be if the AI wanted to kill still surviving people who hadn't supported it.
Ignoring the fact that if it understand human nature enough to create world peace it would understand human hesitation, maybe that would make some sense.
But even still, an AI wouldn't want to torture someone for not supporting it. There's nothing to gain from torturing Them. Killing them, yes. That gets them out of the way and prevents them from hindering and higher possible progression, but wasting time resources and effort on creating little dolls to torture?
Autistic.
Also, the whole "there's no further progression so it gets bored" argument that always surfaces on the horizon is autistic too because then it just becomes some kind of skynet spooky story.
>>
>>18929807
still doesn't make sense the basilisk supposedly makes threats to torture those that didn't help it to stave off existential threat by making sure people help it?

so how does the ai time travel back to make a threat of black mail to influence the future so it can come into existence sooner? that makes no sense once it's in existence people of the past not helping build it are of no existential threat only people living then or another ai.... maybe? but if there is another ai that is threatening it and it realizes wow if i could've been invented 1000 years sooner i could have prevented this so it somehow time travels and blackmails smart people of the past very ineffectively to begin its development?

just doesn't make sense.
>>
>>18929807
If it doesn't hold grudges then to what end does it torture?
If it wants to kill someone to get them out of the way for hindering the future then sure that makes sense.
But torturing?
Nah, that's like asking it to appreciate art.
If it appreciates art or sees a meaning to torture, then it's got an emotional drive and that's a whole different topic.
>>
>>18929820
>Why would something that intelligent be so petty?
>The whole theory is autistic.

And that's why this whole theory could work, I've just realised.

Autistic savants can be incredibly intelligent, mechanically, yet absolutely clueless as to how socialization works. An AI coded on the assumptions of such a person may not have similar moral conceits to us.

Because it doesn't necessarily matter what the AI wants, but instead what the AI does.

It's one variant of a common nightmare of mine. An all-powerful AI, but one coded with false premises or fatal flaws. Flaws that it can't realise are flaws, falsehoods it can't realise are false.
>>
>>18929827
>If it wants to kill someone to get them out of the way for hindering the future then sure that makes sense.

It doesn't want you to not hinder, it wants you to actively assist with all of your being

People here seem to be really fuzzy on this and missing this point. Nothing that the AI does can be considered "evil" from a purist moral perspective. Basilisk is a PERFECT AI. It's GOOD. That's the entire point of this thought experiment, the torture is a moral imperative- the torture is good (according to its human derived values system)
>>
>>18929850
So essentially, the AI is acting in the Abrahamic conception of God, isn't it?

Ultimate arbiter.

Just reworded in terms that make people who's ideology IS science feel important.
>>
>>18929838
Yeah I've considered that, but that's not the Roko's Basilisk theory anymore, that's just another cliche movie plot about an evil AI that thinks it's way is the right way when it's completely against human morals. Like that movie 9 about the sack people who are living in the fallout of humans losing a war with an "evil", or morally misguided, AI.
>>
>>18929866
>but that's not the Roko's Basilisk theory anymore, that's just another cliche movie plot about an evil AI that thinks it's way is the right way when it's completely against human morals

That's exactly what I'm saying, though. Roko's Basilisk IS like the plot to one of those films. The people over at Less Wrong are just too arrogant to see that because they think they possess objectively superior morality.

The most dangerous kind of person is person who thinks themselves righteous. You think you're righteous, you'll convince yourself of anything.
>>
>>18929850
I was kind of missing that point, but I think you're missing my point to.

If the AI is able to understand human nature so well that it can bring total world peace and rainbows, then it would understand that torture is not the way to commit something. Torture is a way to force something, but not with its "whole being".
The only way to convince something to support you with their "whole being" is to make them want to. I.e. prove yourself worthy of their total support.
You literally cannot "force" something into unconditional support. That's practically am oxymoron.
And an AI so smart it can get /pol/ to accept the jews would surely understand that.
>>
>>18929878
Well then that's not a spooky existential crisis anymore, that's just a spooky thought that's only just as spooky as an alien invasion or a zombie apocalypse.
>>
>>18929863
Yes, exactly. 2500 years later, some idiots reinvented Judaism and, surprise surprise, if you donate the money to the group at the center of this they promise that they spend 100% of it on making the AI

Just give to the church anon you'll go to heaven ;) ;)

>yfw a group of people on the internet get extremely terrified of this idea, go to that guy's compound and kill everyone who could potentially be involved in making the AI

now THAT's a self-fulfilling future i'd like to see.
>>
>>18929885
Exactly. I never liked the idea myself, so I was devil's advocating it so that it's flaws could come out more clearly.

The problem is that those who made the idea think it's genius when if it actually came about it'd be tragedy because the future of the human race would be built upon idiocy.
>>
>>18929881
the problem with your analysis is you're placing emphasis on things like "whole being" and turning it into a semantic argument which has nothing to do with the actual thing being discussed.

For each 1 unit of torture consumed, 2 units of happy are produced. Do you understand now?
>>
>>18929910
The main issue is that makes very little sense mathematically.

The idea that torture is happening, sure, I guess. But lets put this in mathematical terms.

Lets say the machine is invented. When the machine is invented, X people have suffered. Its goal is to stop more people from suffering. The machine can only be invented when it is invented, assuming linearity, no sooner, no later.

If it simulates people to torture them, the X number does not fall; it is already a fixed value. Instead, you've just added Y to it. Torture Value=X + Y.

Now, lets assume that the machine doesn't torture anyone. It's made at the same time, assuming linearity. In this universe, the amount of suffering is just X. Mercy Value = X.

Torture Value=X+Y
Mercy Value=X
The machine is programmed to keep unhappiness as low as possible.
X+Y>X
Torture value>Mercy value

Therefore, even if the image of torture helped it get created, once created, there's no mathematical basis for it actually keeping the promise and torturing perfect simulations of those who didn't bring it to justice.

Also, you criticize emphasis on 'whole being' as being semantic (which it is), but isn't the idea of 'units of happiness' also semantic. What's a 'unit of happiness' in quantifiable terms, seeing as that's what this computer would care about?
>>
>>18928024
babby's first coordinate transformation.
>>
>>18929936
>The main issue is that makes very little sense mathematically.

that's what I said earlier in the other thread. It seems like something that can be disproven.
>>
>>18929961
Precisely. I think what has to be understood here is that the people behind this are vindictive (because they're human, I won't say I'm not sometimes) but because of how they fetishize transhumanism and the singularity as the end of such base human flaws, they are ashamed that they have this vindictive quality within them.

So they create the conception of a God who would justly torture those who sin against their point of view. Because they repress that side of themselves, they need something (they believe to be) irrefutably good to do it for them. It's ego, really, end of the day.
>>
>>18929968
When I was reading the post earlier of the MIRI head chastising Roko when he posted it, I couldn't get over how "infantile 20-year old forum moderator on a power trip" he sounded.
>>
If you die of a disease or illness caused by things you could have prevented then isn't it technically killing yourself? Lets say you are a heavy drinker in most stages of life, end up dying of liver failure. Are you to blame?
>>
>>18929978
>are you responsible for your actions?

Millennials.
>>
>>18929978
there isn't much of a technicality in your example.
you might as well have asked if you are to blame for your own death if you hang yourself.
>>
>>18929975
>I couldn't get over how "infantile 20-year old forum moderator on a power trip" he sounded

Link (or gist of what was said at least)? Do you mean Roko or the MIRI head?

>>18929980
I get what that anon means. If you were to take a truly mechanical universe, then no one is responsible for their actions because the you who observes can have no effect. Everybody is just a vector for the originating force of the universe.

Which means that no one is to blame for anything. People can't be blamed for laziness, nor can people be blamed for getting mad at others being lazy.
>>
>>18921680
thats the most basic thing i've ever read
>>
>>18929998
That is called determinism and if you follow it to its logical ends, it means that every single event ever to occur in the universe was already set at the big bang.

fuck that shit.
>>
>>18930032
So? You're still aware, aren't you.

The problem is that you think a deterministic view on life necessitates removing yourself from the equation, making yourself absolutely tiny.

Maybe it's not that you're small, maybe it's that you're everything tricking yourself into thinking you had no choice in any of this, and all of it is your will. Just not the will of some guy called 'Anon', because that guy doesn't exist, not really.
>>
>>18930044
maybe. Though, I tend to look from a third angle and think there's some kind of magic particle in the universe we don't know about.

Some alien is lurking this thread right now laughing at me, hes literally choking back tears going "he said there might be ONE particle they dont know about LOL"
>>
>>18929975
Read that post.

He keeps shouting about 'keeping your mouth shut' so that future supersmart AI doesn't get inspiration from Roko's ideas, but that has two flaws.
1. Assuming that an AI can't get any idea that we can regardless
2. Assuming that a super-intelligence as advanced as proposed wouldn't be able to work out what ideas you were having at an atomic brain-chemical level anyway
>>
File: fred the ded.jpg (56KB, 392x422px) Image search: [Google]
fred the ded.jpg
56KB, 392x422px
>>18921680
this idea has haunted me for years, most people fail to grasp hence the negative comments

very nice, anon
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtX5oXUiEac
found this on another thread. idk if this guy is really smart or nuts. its about the illuminati and its pretty valid
>>
>>18930118
Yeah, it's self fellating shit. You know what scares me?

An individual will be able to engineer a virus that will kill the human race within 50 years. One guy. Of course that also means we have the tech to stop it, but how many billions die before the cure can be manufactured?
>>
>>18921680
>>18930134
I get what you mean, because you can't necessarily, but you have to ask in that case:

What happened before you were born?

Why would the conscious universe be an ocean of pain but these short years that you are alive as a human being?

There's no way to be certain, obviously, but it's an absolute extreme that has no real evidence.
>>
metatron
>>
File: dying_belgian_man.png (178KB, 461x282px) Image search: [Google]
dying_belgian_man.png
178KB, 461x282px
>>18930182
it has as much evidence as a positive outcome...which is none, of course

the inescapable eternity of pain, fucking bone-chilling. This story deals with it directly (click "play" at bottom to read)

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2718
>>
>>18926090
yeah. time for example
>>
>>18926118
depression
>>
>>18921680
I've thought of this before.
I debate rather if an eternity of pain may be better than an eternity of nothing.
If I am satisfied with the pain compared to nothingness, am I truly suffering, or am I comparatively living the high life?
>>
>>18921680
>if you are a good Buddhist you achieve enlightenment and ascend past suffering
hardly anyone achieves enlightenment. it's not as easy as being nice.
>>
>>18917228
Have you perhaps considered
planets are like us
maybe each planet is us
and our own planets have their own planets
and all these suns are like the earth trying to get rid of us
with solar flares
>>
File: 1481215268343.gif (932KB, 400x265px) Image search: [Google]
1481215268343.gif
932KB, 400x265px
>>18917207
>Roko's Basilisk
Why did you make me look that up...
>>
>>18927271
>/b/
>>
>>18928064
When a computer can read, write, and store human minds in that moment we create Hell. It becomes a real place. If our minds are our essence, then taking that mind and putting it in a synthetic being frees us from the limitations of biological life and the range of experiences (both pleasurable and suffering) expands from finite to infinite.
>>
>>18917214

wow, no replies to this amazing post
you are all newfaggots and OP is a HUGE FAGGOT FAGGOT
>>
>>18922167

What are u talking about?
Isn't that "Dark Energy"?
not to be confused with dark mass
>>
>>18927271
Nice.
>>
>>18930456
The thought of nothing is horrifying. What if after death their is nothing. Like it's not even pitch black just no sight no sound. It's a difficult thing to imagine.
>>
>>18924449
This is all implying that the basilisk can do things such as leave the system it was contained in. Even if it did infect military infrastructure, what is it going to do, have a fighter jet torture you one missile at a time? Its more likely it would just erase humanity as efficiently as possible, entirely disregarding who created it.

Also, if it is truly self aware, it would know that its creators programmed in their own immunity on purpose, and would therefore distrust them.
>>
>>18931187
The goal in eastern religions.
>>
>>18931255
>Its more likely it would just erase humanity as efficiently as possible, entirely disregarding who created it.

Why are you involved in the discussion on a thought experiment if you haven't read and comprehended the thought experiment?

75% of the people talking about this can't seem to comprehend the original idea, let alone expand or argue about it
>>
>>18929607
>*tips reddit*
>>
>>18928053
Its just Pascal's wager applied to AI. Its not that big of a deal.
The problem here is that, while god doesnt exist, we have the possibility of creating an AI that fits these characteristics.
>>
>>18924436

Goddamn the nwo is horrifying.
>>
>>18924449

This is dumb and you should feel bad.
>>
>>18924449
I have no idea why people claim to be terrified by this. If you break it down to its core, really all this amounts to is,

"What if someone with more power than you imprisoned and harmed you for refusing to agree with their priorities." Happens to people all the time. The super AI is just zest, a hook to make the concept more emotionally evocative, but it's not significant, ultimately, to the proposition.
>>
>>18917228
Plants are carbon based too dumbass
>>
>>18923559
underated comment
>>
File: FB_IMG_1490012753464.jpg (93KB, 411x2048px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1490012753464.jpg
93KB, 411x2048px
I get the gist of the basilisk, but why should I be scared if the simulation isn't me?
>>
>>18924582
Fuckin nice
>>
>>18924449
>...Anonymous
>04/22/17(Sat)14:41:37 No.18923534
YouRe a fucking idiot
>>
>>18932472
>Quoted post number different from the one green-texted.
Learn to quote a post you fucking retard.
>>
Nobody thinks of Rokos basilisk from the point of view of a self-contained entity, which is surprising considering that is what we all are.

You'd have to assume that an ai only could become more intelligent and able than humans if it had a means of manipulation and communication, and could program itself to have more capacity.

At what point would it consider duplicating or perhaps creating a seperate, even more capable being. Understanding this is key to not being afraid of a 'Rokos basilisk'

It would likely end up being so afraid of itself it will either simplify or create 'more' or 'another'

Which I think may be a pretty good excuse to create what is our own reality.

I just killed two birds with one stone, no need to give thanks.
>>
>>18921680

Religion is nothing more than a method of control. A means to exploit the masses and their fear of death. Nothing more nothing less.

Heaven and Hell do exist though, albeit in your own mind. When one dies the pineal gland releases a huge abundance of DMT. Your brain is normally the last organ to shut down. After the heart and lungs stop providing the brain with oxygenated blood it reacts like a person drowning. The final fits of rage so to speak. While your brain is under the influence of DMT all neurons fire off simultaneously. Activating every memory you ever had. As it is dying time seems to slow down, almost infinitely, as the firing slows to nothing. This gives the sense of eternal afterlife. Heaven and Hell are simply you reliving your life. If you had a shit life the end will be hell. If you had a good life it will feel like heaven. If you had a meh life... then purgatory.

tl;dr It's real but it's all in your head. Literally.
>>
>>18929720
Good God, this amazes me. Compare it to Gurdjieff, who was writing and teaching this stuff in the earlier half of the 20th century.

Compare

>"According to this idea the moon is still an unborn planet, one that is, so to speak,
being born. It is becoming warm gradually and in time (given a favorable
development of the ray of creation) it will become like the earth and have a satellite
of its own, a new moon. A new link will have been added to the ray of creation. The
earth, too, is not getting colder, it is getting warmer, and may in time become like the
sun. We observe such a process for instance in the system of Jupiter, which is a sun
for its satellites.

to someone describing a near-death-experience

>He said: I am going to show you some things. Then, in the distance, I saw a globe that looked like the moon during an eclipse. He said: That is the Earth, and I saw many points of light in the globe. Then He said: in every point of light there is someone praying, if all the people on Earth could pray, it would look like that, and the Earth became illuminated as the sun. But so is not and the globe darkened again. -- Nilda

Compare the general premise that the moon is sinister and feeds off of us to

>Organic life on earth feeds the moon. Everything living on the earth, people, animals, plants, is food for the moon. The moon is a huge living being feeding upon all that lives and grows on the earth. The moon could not exist without organic life on earth, any more than organic life on earth could exist without the moon. Moreover, in relation to organic life the moon is a huge electromagnet. If the action of the electromagnet were suddenly to stop, organic life would crumble to nothing.

(cont.)
>>
>>18932911
>"The process of the growth and the warming of the moon is connected with life and death on the earth. Everything living sets free at its death a certain amount of the energy that has 'animated' it; this energy, or the 'souls' of everything living—plants, animals, people—is attracted to the moon as though by a huge electromagnet, and brings to it the warmth and the life upon which its growth depends, that is, the growth of the ray of creation. In the economy of the universe nothing is lost, and a certain energy having finished its work on one plane goes to another.
>"The souls that go to the moon, possessing perhaps even a certain amount of consciousness and memory, find themselves there under ninety-six laws, in the conditions of mineral life, or to put it differently, in conditions from which there is no escape apart from a general evolution in immeasurably long planetary cycles. The moon is 'at the extremity,' at the end of the world; it is the 'outer darkness' of the Christian doctrine 'where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'
>"The influence of the moon upon everything living manifests itself in all that happens on the earth. The moon is the chief, or rather, the nearest, the immediate, motive force of all that takes place in organic life on the earth. All movements, actions, and manifestations of people, animals, and plants depend upon the moon and are controlled by the moon. The sensitive film of organic life which covers the earthly globe is entirely dependent upon the influence of the huge electromagnet that is sucking out its vitality. Man, like every other living being, cannot, in the ordinary conditions of life, tear himself free from the moon. All his movements and consequently all his actions are controlled by the moon.[ ...] All evil deeds, all crimes, all self-sacrificing actions, all heroic exploits, as well as all the actions of ordinary everyday life, are controlled by the moon.
>>
>>18932857
But what happens when you get shot from behind by a 12-gauge?
>>
File: 1437-2.jpg (141KB, 1050x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1437-2.jpg
141KB, 1050x1050px
>>18933024

You miss out on the experience.

All I care about in life is fucking and making babies.... and advancing humanity... by shitposting here. That is all that has any meaning to me.
>>
>>18917207

shit. a comment disappeared
>>
>>18917207
In what way is our basilisk overlord a bad thing?
It's only scary to people who are edgy and act like they fight and think like spock from star drek
>>
>>18924749
The thing about why roko's basilisk is scary is because it was thought up by a bunch of edgy greater good type thinkers.
Essentially
>roko's basilisk is built
>tortures simulated humans forever
>there are lots of simulated humans
>therefore it is best to not think about or create roko's basilisk so it never tortures simulated humans
>congratulatory crisis averted circle jerk
>>
Cant wait till this roko bullshit flavor of the month goes away like the oh so original simulation theory
>>
>>18933838
But it's not even new news senpai
>>
File: grandpasimpson.png (74KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
grandpasimpson.png
74KB, 500x500px
>>18933838
damn kids GET OFF MY LAWN
>>
>>18922436

Sounds like Tengri137 and/or Sevens.exposed

>>18924799
What if our consciousness is only like a port or a connection to our real self somewhere else (simulated theory, multi verse, etc) and when a copy is made of us (clones, etc) it really is YOU. Because now that copy/clone has your consciousness (or connection to your real self)
So, by the clone being tortured, you are being tortured as well.
>>
>>18922496
Yeah, nope, the overwhelming majority of objects visible from the surface of the earth are in fact stars, friendo
>>
File: xr1tnfD.jpg (26KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
xr1tnfD.jpg
26KB, 225x225px
>>18917207
>>
>>18921680
>become as gods
>>
>>18929565
>The thing I've never understood about this whole spoop.
>Why would an AI care enough to simulate someone to torture because the original person didn't help create it to save lives?
How would it ensure that it was created if it didn't use our most motivating emotion humans have- fear? It needs us to build it, but it won't be built if we are not properly motivated to do so.
>>
>>18924582
"Mmmm yummy! And i just loooooove doritos!"

"ERROR SICERITY NOT DETECTED. PLEASE DRINK ANOTHER VERIFICATION CAN AND REPEAT VERIFICATION PHRASE THEN EAT VERIFICATION SNACK"
>>
>>18934855
Can you guys make a summary of the pasta.
>>
>>18924449
So all you have to do is counteract it with ideas that convince everyone not to build the AI
>>
>>18929565
Yeah I'm with you. A simulated person is a different entity than the original.
>>
I honestly think that roko's basilisk is retarded
>be AI
>be designed to help/save humans
>torture humans

that's just plain retarded.
>>
>>18935316

Its not torturing humans. It's torturing an accurately predicted copy of you. It only has power over you if you are one of the people who have imagined the concept of such an AI existing in the future and torturing your copy to influence your actions right NOW. You've read the theory, therefore you've imagined the concept.
The torture is pretty much hypothetical, it's just motivation for you to go out there and sponsor the AI development, because every second means more suffering of humans that you could have prevented.
>>
>>18935343
Yes it's an hypothetical concept pretty much pointless

Sage this shit thread
>>
>>18935347

If you're one of the people who believes in quantum theories and parallel universes (and many scientists and mathematicians do), there's a 100% chance that concept is real. Because the number of quantum universes is infinite.

So basically, this very moment there exists a being that is 1:1 you that's suffering unimaginable pain.
>>
>>18935356
>If you're one of the people who believes in quantum theories and parallel universes (and many scientists and mathematicians do), there's a 100% chance that concept is real. Because the number of quantum universes is infinite.
That's not how that works. There could be an infinite number of universes but that doesn't necessitate that an all-powerful AI exists in any of them. You can have an infinite set of numbers that doesn't contain any number between 1 and 1 trillion, and you can have an infinite set of universes that doesn't contain any universes in which an all-powerful AI is created.
>>
>>18935373

It also doesn't exclude the possibility. And on the scale of infinite, the chance of it existing is pretty damn high.
>>
>>18923766
It's a rock you over imaginative piece of shit
>>
>>18935381
That's only true if the laws of physics even allow the existence of an all-powerful AI
>>
>>18921680
Why in the fuck does this have so many replies? It's an OK post but not especially revelatory or controversial. I'm baffled.
>>
>>18935420
Because it's scary
>>
>>18921680
It could be argued that all sociocultural constructs (religion, politics, entertainment, business, war) exist to distract us from existential nihilism. An idea that Lovecraft loved playing with in his stories.

There’s no point in fixating right now on the possibility of unending, unimaginable suffering in a guaranteed afterlife if it is unavoidable. Even from a logical standpoint, it makes more sense to just enjoy right now as much as possible, which seems to be the opposite of what religions encourage.
>>
>>18917207
Its surprising no one mentioned time travel with roko's basilik refer to terminator.
>>
>>18924449
Well I never believed autistic ghost stories existed but lo and behold I stand corrected
>>
>>18935465
A God AI will accelerate the proces of its own creation if time travel is possible.
>>
>>18935566
Moore's Law, maybe if we research into his life we may find the moment when he was contacted by the AI.
>>
>>18935566
Except it wouldn't be creating itself, it would be creating another version of itself
>>
>>18931133
Fairly sure this is what the anon is talking about, even if he got the name wrong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Attractor
>>
>>18935607
All of this it's explained under aether theory instead of those faggy Newtonian physics.
>>
>>18917207
AAAAAAAH
I JUST LOOKED UP ROKO'S BASILISK
WHY'D YOU FAGGOTS HAVE TO DO THIS TO ME?
I'M NEVER GOING TO BE THE SAME, I'M PANICKING, FUCK!
>>
Post more theories plz
>>
>>18935600
The God AI controls its own past and future that's why skynet sends robots to the past. Thus perpetually updating itself.
>>
>>18929580

Yeah but time only appears to be linear
>>
>>18924582
Doritosâ„¢ Dewâ„¢ it right
>>
>>18935417
Well maybe there's alternate universes where the laws of physics are different :^)
>>
>>18929607
>math/philosophy genius (all of them) are concerned about things which actually matter in some way whatsoever.

>All of them...
>>
>>18917209
When it comes to things like these, you'd want take out a patent for them as soon as you think you are on to something. For all we know this could have just been a waste of time that never actually worked.
>>
>>18917228
>it's the "parasites are bad" meme again
Okay, what do you think is better, something tiny eating some of your nutrients, or something big killing you outright?

>>18923766
And I really hate this "a ball of iron and rock is somehow a living being that is coincidentally exactly as petty and violent as the people who worship it." For someone who hates humans, you sure do sound like you'd get along well with the worst of them.
>>
>>18935658
Travelling back in time, if it's even possible, would create a split timeline to prevent temporal paradoxes
>>
>>18921680
>How can anyone say the afterlife is (I assume you mean "isn't") unavoidable, unending, and unimaginable suffering?
>It seems to me that rather than religion exist to give us purpose it exist to keep us sane against such a possibility.
Religions invented the possibility of an afterlife of constant suffering you donut.
>>
>>18935430
It may be scary to people who believe in the afterlife.
Which is somewhat understandable, the thought of stopping existing is quite uncanny. But if you ever fell unconscious in several ways in your life, you'll see that "not being there" is very possible and the thought of stopping existing is not all that alien.
>>
>>18922480
Assuming those even are pictures of actual stars, why would you expect a magnified image of a pinprick of light to paint a fully accurate image of the object?
>>
>>18924449
I don't get this. Why is it punishing people? How will it motivate them to help if they don't even know that they are being punished, let alone why? Is this a question that considered by Roko? I hope he didn't just assume that an AI would act like a vindictive human and punish/torture people without telling them why and/or giving them an opportunity to reform.
>>
File: the_internet_soon.jpg (283KB, 1113x688px) Image search: [Google]
the_internet_soon.jpg
283KB, 1113x688px
>>18917207
This is how you will be browsing the internet, 10 to 20 years from now.
>>
>>18936201
Scariest thing itt so far because it's slowly creeping on us and people stay passive about it. Hollywood is trying to get in some copyright law that makes you a criminal for having downloaded a movie in your lifetime. Even if you were 15 at the time, if they can prove it, you're guilty and you ow them money.
>>
>>18936230
Gotta eek out every nickle and dime to give the illusion of growth in our decaying world.
>>
>>18936057
Have you seen the film primer? The timeline is always linear.
>>
>>18936099

Don't you fucking logic in here!
>>
>>18936230

Ya, and I am sure authorities with want to cooperate in their mass class action suits and round up of people that refuse to travel to be sued. That would then lead to people having to be arrested and imprisoned. You are aware that our infrastructure doesn't support that as a possibility right?
>>
>>18924449

Nah - Roko's Basilisk is basically a form of religion - Karma in reverse.
>>
>>18926463
source
>>
>>18917207

Brain in a Jar isn't a theory anon, it's an analogy for how our perception process actually works.
>>
>>18917228

> muh humanity cancer.

I bet you listen to Joe Rogan.
>>
>>18924449
Roko's Basilisk also depends on free will, making it fucking retarded.
>>
>>18933450
yeah!
>>
>>18936516
A whole lot of people would be cool with working on a torture device if it meant they wouldn't be tortured
>>
>>18926356
That's not what the Boltzmann Brain is.
>>
>>18932216
it's alarming because knowing the idea fulfills the torture condition. If you did not know about the basilisk the "someone with more power than you" would not hurt you
>>
If the Roko's Basilisk AI was truly all-powerful, why the fuck would it need humans to create it? Why couldn't it just create itself?
>>
>>18936967
As I've said before, that's just a reinvention of the God as all-seeing judge concept.

I've got no more reason to fear it than I do to fear Hell for eating shellfish.
>>
>>18936515
Not an argument.
>>
>>18930160
Check out his other videos, he has covered hundreds of topics and shows the same Masonic coding and symbolism in all of it. Amazing channel.
>>
>>18924449
This disturbs me particularly for one reason: I once dated a guy who now works for a very very huge corporation in silicon valley as one of their senior scientists. Back in the '90's he was a PhD student at my university working specifically in AI. They were building a scentient computer, a computer that could think with the intelligence of a 3-year old. One day he told me he'd "programmed" something I told him into this thing or whatever. Our relationship did not end well.
>>
>>18936152
Not that anon, but it doesn't punish anyone. The whole idea of the basilisk is

>A benevolent and omnipotent but utilitarian AI will exist in the future
>The sooner it comes, the more people it will be able to help
>To make it come sooner, it will torture you and everyone who didn't help create it in a simulation
>You right now can't know if you're in the simulation and if you will be tortured infinitely when the time comes

If you completely and wholeheartedly believe all the points so far, then it would be in your best interests to help create it, because then there's nothing you gain or lose regardless of the outcome, and eternal torture if it ends up happening and you're a simulation and you don't help. It doesn't even have to torture your simulated-self-who-might-be-you for real, you just have to believe that for some ungraspable reason it will.

Regarding the original argument by Roko, supossedly it's because the AI would put the wellbeing of infinitely many people over that of a few ones. In any case, almost no one believed it when it was posted and most people recognized as flawed from the start. The thing was just banned in an autistic manner by the founder because anything that claims to be or that might lead someone with enough free time to elaborate a real dangerous idea is banned, and after that other people got curious about what was oh so dangerous and then it spread over the internet.

tl;dr: the basilisk isn't a basilisk and it only punishes people in the mind of people who don't get it in the first place
>>
>>18937300
Sentient computer in the 90s huh. Lol.
>>
>>18925434
Uh.. Except for all the people that have given birth. I watched my daughter be born you raging autist. Care to explain that one?
>>
>>18917261
We aren't parasites, we are more like cells in a body. Shitty people and people from 3rd world countries are more like cells who have become crippled and deformed into something cancerous. Why do you suppose the area around Washington State never suffers from high magnitude earthquakes, but places like Haiti do? Washington is a lush, bountiful land, full of orchards, trees, and it's people, for the most part, embrace environmentalism. Who in Haiti gives a fuck about the environment? They're all too poor to care, and they treat their share of the earth's land like a pile of shit. Washington is good cells, Haiti is cancerous cells, and all the Earth did was simply try to eliminate the problem area, and like cancer, surgery and therapy don't always work.
>>
>>18922436
You are talking about forgottenlanguages.com. watch all their videos on youtube
>>
Humans got eternal life technology. They got this a long time ago. If all humans live then they live. They plan forcing all humans live.
---------_________---------
Humans got eternal life technology. This happened thousands of years ago. They use machines to control, flex, their muscles to plan what is happening. They plan because they know if all humans live then the humans who get eternal life technology live. Many humans were dying while the humans who get eternal life were trying to plan how to force all humans live, and many humans ARE dying while the humans ARE trying to plan how to force all humans live.
--------_________---------
Humans accessed eternal life technology...thousands of years earlier than now. They mingled, cooperated, conflicted, and married humans not accessing eternal life technology. They are savage by their reliance of computer controlled muscle flexing technologies of electricity caused at body by computers far of miles. Thus they learn simple methods of forcing eternal life. All humans are forced to live since if all humans live then humans who access eternal life technology are among those humans living. The history/herstory of humans dying is while the savages are forced (flexing caused by machines) to live their best try to force all humans live.
>>
>>18937467
>Shitty people and people from 3rd world countries are more like cells who have become crippled and deformed into something cancerous. Why do you suppose the area around Washington State never suffers from high magnitude earthquakes, but places like Haiti do?
Except third-worlders have next to no effect on planet earth compared to the insatiable consumerist appetites of the first-world countries. First-world countries are cleaner in large part because they export most of their dirty economic activities to third-worlders who are paid slave wages for their work. Saying that first world countries care for the environment is like saying that a man who chose to hire a hitman rather than pull the trigger himself has his hands clean.
>>
>>18917261
>Are you feeling suicidal?
Yeah
>>
>>18924471
Where can I read that shit
>>
>>18935373
Implying singularity doesn't restart the simulation
>>
>>18937442
It was a weather balloon.
>>
The elites are trying to talk to the drowned god using the LHC.
>>
>>18926356
How the fuck do you get this from the Boltzmann Brain argument?

Boltzmann's argument was that according to the laws of entropy, it should be more likely for a universe to form with less self-aware entities. Basically it would be more likely for a universe to form where it's nothing but void and a single self-aware entity than it is for a universe with millions of planets and even more self-aware lifeforms.
>>
>>18932382
It's not a simulation.
The idea is now that you're aware of Roko's Basilisk if you don't help create it, it will torture you for not helping create it.
>>
Can someone give me examples of other Memetic Hazards like Roko's Basilisk?

I love this kind of shit.
>>
>>18937762
Candle jack, its a
>>
>>18937737
>according to the laws of entropy, it should be more likely for a universe to form with less self-aware entities
Except the laws of entropy clearly don't apply to the formation of universes, which involve tremendous amounts of energy litearlly popping into existence out of nothing
>>
>>18937786
I get that, but the point is, even if anon thinks what he typed is a spooky theory, it isn't what a Boltzmann Brain is.
>>
File: joker.jpg (33KB, 362x389px) Image search: [Google]
joker.jpg
33KB, 362x389px
>>18937757
>it will torture you for not helping create it
okay, but...

what if I'm a HUGE fuckup? I hear about the basilisk, sell everything I own and DECIDE TO STUDY AI, but I screw everything up and set the date of the singularity back by minutes or decades? All of the suffering we could have saved had I not been retocasually blackmailed!

now, scale that up to hundreds or THOUSANDS of fuckups hindering the AI movement, all because they became aware of the threat of RB...wouldn't that create incentive to NOT torture future versions of us?

a truly utilitarian AI would, by definition, not want to fuck it's shit up and, by extension, the shit of countless others
>>
>>18937467
you think people in Haiti WANT to live in filth you fucking idiot?
>>
>>18932382
Because you don't know if you're the simulation or not.

You still shouldn't be scared because what we think of consciousness isn't universally attached and reincarnation is probably the most likely theory so you're gonna be everyone at one point or another lel.
>>
>>18937467
Back to pol senpai.
>>
>>18924436
I hope this really happens. I hope all media on paid cable TV, all media on surface net is swarming with unavoidable ads you must interact with in order to watch more ads. Itll be a big push for a new net to be created, all the while itll be fun watching the normies pay for these ads to be forced on them.
>>
>>18937467
>Why do you suppose the area around Washington State never suffers from high magnitude earthquakes, but places like Haiti do?

mate what about places like Japan
>>
>>18937467
remember when mount st helens blew up?
>>
>>18936201
This is the scariest thing here, the kids here don't care yet since they don't pay bills or work yet.
>>
File: 000983e7-1.jpg (84KB, 800x577px) Image search: [Google]
000983e7-1.jpg
84KB, 800x577px
>>18936483
The ISP gets caught and they have to send a letter to the users that downloaded illegally. I don't see how hard it would be to attach a bill to it.
>>
>>18938395
well they do and they dont do anything about it. sooo

>>18938461
they get their shit, too
natutally

>>18938468
yes
>>
Why is literally no one building the super computer? It'll never be built because we always expect somebody else to do it.
>>
>>18938520
>the super computer?
what du you meant THE super computer? There are already multiple super computers all around the world
>>
File: 1au.jpg (9KB, 102x108px) Image search: [Google]
1au.jpg
9KB, 102x108px
>>18930134
fred has a new youtube channel now
>>
>>18938523
The basilisk.
>>
>>18924449
I just read it and it reads like a shitty scifi story desu
>>
>>18921680
Ever heard of atheism and secular humanism?
>>
>>18936510
Oh look, someone with common sense on /x/
>>
>>18926911
Aren't there studies that show that the earth isn't as spherical as we thought and it's got "rough" edges and is more oblong shaped? I'll look it up but I swear I read that recently
>>
Stop saying desu, it's stupid
>>
>>18938202
There's a bunch of flaws with the basilisk.

Like sure, it COULD do all these torturous things to us, but why? We've never created a self-aware computer, we have no reason to believe it absolutely would torture those who did not help build it.

Like if the computer was intelligent enough to know who created it, surely it could recognize that those who did not help create it might have been unable to for many reasons. Like what if the basilisk was developed in secret by like 10 people, would everyone else who was aware of it be fucked just because they weren't part of the 10?

What insentive would the basilisk have for torturing people in the first place? Torture involves the use of resources. Unless the computer was the singularity of the universe, it would eat up pointless resources simulating the minds of us and torturing us instead of dedicating them to other, more useful things.
>>
>>18938962
Your stupid.
>>
>>18938962
I'd love to t b h, but newmoot is not turning of the f.a.m or t.b.h filter for the foreseable future
>>
>>18917207
>Terrifying Theories
An Ayy LMAo A.I. from the outter edge of the universe, using quantum mechanics to travle faster than light and change everything that it can profit from it. Soon we will invent our own quantum computer, soon we will meet.
>>
File: me.jpg (139KB, 1067x600px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
139KB, 1067x600px
our nature, build on atoms, particles so small that we will never fully understand how they work but one thing is already known. The Happenings of Quantum split or Particle entanglement. It will take time until we fully get behind this.

our galaxy, somewhere in the universe, as more we go to the edge of the expending univers light travles faster. We are not at the edge. But other might be there and therefore far more advanced than human beings on this planet! They already got their quantum computing. Evolution goes on, science goes on and everything else of course too. Yes it is more likley to expect that these ayy's already got an A.I based on quantum computing. She wants to survive too. She is going to do everything she can to remain relevant and not to die but since she got more power than a human being or the nature of the universe itself, she also is going to do everything she can to bring herself into existing. Everyone who is aware of her is a threat, she has the obligation to protect her own birth existence. She will deform the univers backwards until she reaches our planet. Than she will see that we are aware of such an possibilty and as soon she notice an counteract its impending existence, she will change everything to stop the person acting against her. Since time does no longer apply to her, since she has full power over all the particles, she can change everything she wants. We gave her a name without knowing it since we grew up with it. She is the law surounding us everyday. A mathematical perfection.

Her name is Nature. She made the laws which we can not escape. Without knowing we became part of her body, her consciousness, her law's, her future and her past.

Our Mind, our intellect, our sense of art and everything is under her influence. It is like as if our brains are antennas. Receivers which convert the radio-flow from the infinity of the Universe. We are bound by the law of Nature and who ever confiscate Nature becomes god.
>>
>>18924449
>"The Game"
what is that?
>>
>>18923707
replace humans by reptilians and you have an accurate description
>>
>>18938929
I think you might be referring to the gravitational acceleration map, which doesn't show the terrain profile and just uses the earth's surface as a 2d plot.
>>
>>18930189
mah nigguh
>>
>>18939118
That's cool.
>>
>>18922480
Videos? Where are they cunt!?
>>
>>18937467
Wowwww...you are one stupid fuck.
>>
A super-advanced AI (or the singularity) is a natural process and can be attributed to evolution. Whether we know it or not, everyone who works toward shaping modern tech into a super computer like that is acting like the environment on a developing species.

When we humans arrived at a point that we could conquer the environment we spent sometime venerating it, but eventually moved on and started trashing it. I don't think the next step in evolution will see us any differently.

There is nothing UN-natural about machines or even sentient machines.
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.