[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Paranormal/Horror games that truly conjure up fear in people.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

File: FEAR_DVD_box_art.jpg (75KB, 256x361px) Image search: [Google]
FEAR_DVD_box_art.jpg
75KB, 256x361px
ITT: Paranormal/Horror games that truly conjure up fear in people.
>>
File: 0000002179.1920x1080.jpg (134KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
0000002179.1920x1080.jpg
134KB, 1024x768px
This game and STALKER are two games I've really wanted to try out for a while now.
>>
>>18912962
Layers of Fear.

Outlast.
>>
>>18912962
InB4: "those games aren't scary, i wasnt scared at all cuz I'm a big kid who played with the lights on and music playing and yelled about how it's just a dumb not-scary game the whole time"
>>
>>18912997
Layers of Fear is like a film noire acid trip.
>>
>>18912962
Amnesia: dark descent.
the water level.

nuff said
>>
>>18913000
But literally none of the games posted here actually are scary lol.

Don't get me wrong, I love F.E.A.R. and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but I don't see how they conjure fear in any way whatsoever, they're just fun FPS games with a lot of unique features that other games at the time didn't have.

Silent Hill 1-3 are basically the only games I've ever played that actually made me afraid in any way, and I've played a lot of horror games, the majority are boring trash with jump scares that don't work.

>>18913008
Perfect example.
>>
>>18912962
blood siren creepes me out for some reason
>>
>>18913013
You definitely didn't play amnesia if you think it was all about jump scares.
>>
>>18913063
I've definitely played all of Frictional's games, the first two Penumbra games were much better than both Amnesia games (incl. dlc).
>>
Now, I may be a little bitch, but SCP: Containment breach.
>>
File: IMG_3485.jpg (247KB, 1792x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3485.jpg
247KB, 1792x1080px
>>18913013
Thanks for the opinion.
>>
File: 1437873080870.png (589KB, 581x925px) Image search: [Google]
1437873080870.png
589KB, 581x925px
>>18912996
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is absolutely fantastic, there's a reason like 40% of /k/ board culture revolves around it.

I'd recommend torrenting Shadow of Chernobyl (the company no longer gets money from sales so there's no real point to owning it, though if you feel like it you can get all three games for $10 on steam right now until friday).

Play them in chronological order without mods first time round, CS is kind of a mess so you can skip it if you want, make sure you play on master difficulty (the game was never meant to have difficulty settings, so any other setting is very poorly glued on and an absolute clusterfuck of weird stats).

Fair warning, the games takes a little bit of effort to get into, in the first hour or so you really won't be feeling it, trust me, keep pressing on until about the point where you get your first AK-74m and the game really starts to fall into place.
>>
>>18913085
I'd add if you don't like SoC don't be afraid to skip it and try CoP then return to SoC later, yes there are (Extremely small) spoilers, but CoP's gameplay is so much better than SoC's it's not even a comparison.
>>
>>18913074
I didn't say penumbra wasn't better lol. I only said that the idea that amnesia is based on jump scares is untrue. (it was something that was mainly perpetuated by its reputation from all the streamers) so I just assumed that you didn't play it because you thought that.

Guess I was wrong if you have.
>>
File: 1487255650340.jpg (91KB, 640x801px) Image search: [Google]
1487255650340.jpg
91KB, 640x801px
>>18913097
>CoP's gameplay is so much better than SoC's
Nigga, what? SoC is considered the quintessential S.T.A.L.K.E.R. by just about everyone, who that fuck actually considers CoP better?
>>
File: IMG_9129.jpg (126KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9129.jpg
126KB, 1920x1080px
For me...
You know it's true.
>>
>>18913115
I said gameplay my dude, SoC is definitely the better game as a whole, better maps, much better story and story progression, but the gameplay is fucking horrendous, especially if you compare it to CoP.

And trust me, I've played all 3 for hundreds of hours, with no mods, CoP is the only one that actually feels good to play without mods, for someone new to the series, it's easier to play a game where the gameplay isn't completely fucking repulsive like SoC's.

Reminder you're allowed to admit faults in things you like.
>>
>>18912962
only scary until you realize that none of the spooky paranormal shit can actually harm you, it's all just atmosphere and jumpscares
>>18913008
only scary until you realize there's no penalty for dying. if you die you're placed back at the last checkpoint but you keep all the progress you made since then and the enemies disappear.
>>
>>18913126
I've just never met anyone with this opinion before, sure CoP was fine but I only really played it once compared to dozens of SoC playthroughs, which seems to be a fairly common trend around fans of the series.

As long as we all agree CS is trash I guess.
>>
>>18913127
Is death in a game necessary to scare you?

I'll give you that about the enemies though. I didn't realize that flaw when I played the game (never actually died).
>>
>>18913121
Dead Space is one of my favorites, but it's more of an action game that relies on a lot of jumpscares then something that causes genuine fear
hard to be afraid when a couple upgrades to his health and cutting tool makes Isaac a super badass

sortof like the game Clive Barkers Undying. it was a cool old creepy game that is ruined when you get a scythe weapon and become more terrifying than any of the creatures
>>
>>18913130
Yea but do you use gameplay overhaul mods?
If you do, try giving SoC a 100% vanilla playthrough, then give CoP a 100% vanilla playthrough.

You'll notice one of them is actually fun to play, the other one is a chore.

Personally CoP is the game I prefer just because I barely ever play the games modded, CS is a mistake though, you're 100% right there. You take SoC's mechanics then make it a corridor shooter, great fucking job dumbasses, that's about as un-fun as a videogame can get.

>>18913139
Meaningful death certainly adds to the feeling of dread in a game, there's no reason to fear a game when you can simply throw yourself at every situation and if you die you'll only be placed 10' back from where you died.

One can say "That's just your fault for playing a game that way," but those are the mechanics the game gives you, and you'd be stupid not to play by them.
>>
File: 1468454351386.jpg (143KB, 800x586px) Image search: [Google]
1468454351386.jpg
143KB, 800x586px
>>18913153
Played both of the completely unmodded (SoC several times, only got around to modding after about my 4th vanilla playthrough)

I found SoC way more fun, couldn't really get into CoP, hated the lack of artifacts and roaming anomolies, and the fact that they made my favourite artifact (moonlight) useless.
>>
>>18913172
Like I said, the maps and story progression in SoC are way better, it's just the gameplay (The movement and especially the gunplay) That's so much worse you can barely compare the two, like SoC is painful to play while CoP is actually enjoyable.

I suppose it's a taste thing though, I like the fact that if you're good and have a plan you can sprint in to any engagement guns blazing and win in CoP because the gunplay is actually good, your weapons work how they should. SoC is much slower, you need to sit back because your weapons do not work the way they should, and they will also break and jam much faster, and much more often, than in CoP. And yes, obviously you can go in guns blazing in SoC and make it through some times with a lot of quicksaves, but CoP is consistent, you can make it 100% of the time if you're good at the game.
>>
>>18913139
i would think he's as death in a game is the ultimate fail state and fear of that failure is a primary cause of any fear you feel in a game where pain and actual death aren't an actual threat

you could have other call stars but I would imagine anything that isn't the death of your character would feel like the game just interrupts something that could theoretically continue
and that feels forced, and disconnects you from your character, which would cause less fear as well
>>
>>18913205
(A newcomer approaches)
SoC had very irritating gunplay compared to CoP. Most notably for me was getting out of that damn tunnel before automatic weapons got prevalent.

Oi
>>
>>18913205
The only time I've had issues with the guns in SoC is before the point you get an AK-74m, the subguns and makarov are absolute shit but everything past Agroprom is fairly reliable, were you playing on master difficulty?

Also, the fact that you can't just rush in guns blazing is why I liked SoC more than CoP, the enemies actually felt like they were trying to outsmart you and get the jump on you, gun fights felt as deadly as a gunfight actually should since catching just a single stray bullet fucked you up bad, rounding a corner unawares was death. I liked the natural progression too, how you consistently upgrade from a rookie with a leather jacket (or sunrise suit if you know about the crate in Condor) and a shotgun/viper to an experienced stalker with a scope mounted AK to eventually a ninja running veteran with a SEVA suit and the glorious VSS Vintorez (tfw you will never own a semi-automatic VSS, thanks Obama).
CoP just made you too strong, too fast, you can easily get the Lynx the moment you have enough money and 7.62x54r is abundant at the first merchant, you can basically take on everything in the game without any issue before you even leave the first area.
>>
>>18913153
>You'll notice one of them is actually fun to play, the other one is a chore.
Yeah, SoC is actually fun to play. CoP is a chore.

Your opinion is objectively wrong.
>>
>>18913244
Of course I'm talking about master, playing on rookie you can literally take the entire game with just your knife.

This >>18913229 is exactly what I mean though, I know countless people that just straight up dropped S.T.A.L.K.E.R. because of this, but when I suggested trying CoP they enjoyed it then went back and played through SoC after and found it much more palatable.

I've actually talked with dozens, if not hundreds, of people about this and you are honest to god the first person that's ever not agreed immediately. The point is, you can take the same gun in SoC and CoP, and the CoP version will straight up work better, it will fire more consistently, it will take longer to break, and it will jam less often and at lower conditions, there's a point where you're creating difficulty, and a point where you're just being straight up annoying, SoC's gameplay is that point, by a longshot.

>>18913263
The facts I'm stating are objectively correct, weapons work properly in CoP, if you prefer your combat forcibly slow, that's fine, some people actually like the Misery mod for example.

I'm not upset that you guys have a different opinion, merely surprised, the majority of people agree that SoC's gameplay (Just the gameplay mechanics, get maps, story, and progression out of your mind) is worse.
>>
File: stalker.jpg (394KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
stalker.jpg
394KB, 1000x500px
>>18913085
Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely try out the first game. I've been turned off by it since it reminds me a bit of New Vegas which I thought was incredibly shallow, boring and empty but the more I read about Stalker it seems to have more in common with Dark Souls which Is one of if not my favorite game with npcs that feel real, enemies that propose real threat, diverse weapons with good combat set in a world where you somehow don't feel alone in your own self isolation.
>>
>>18913013
Silent Hill 1, those damn kids in the School. First time I came across them it was like 1-2am and I had the audio up just enough to hear the game and I shit my pants when they popped up.

Ugh. Fewer things have spazzed me.
>>
>>18913281
All I know is that that vast majority of /k/ (including myself) consider SoC a far better game in just about every category including gunplay, the general advice you get there is "play SoC, then skip CS and play CoP, then play SoC again because it's the best"

Also, what you find more entertaining will always be subjective.

>>18913314
>Not liking New Vegas
I cannot agree with you on this fact, NV is the best Fallout game, but S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is indeed good.
Also, pro-tip, when you get to the second area and get to the place with all the trucks inside the fence, at the entrance there's a large tower on the right with a few crates on top, shoot those crates and enjoy the upcoming bandit fights to be significantly less hellish.
>>
>>18913314
Oh, and turn off crosshairs for the best experience, a big cross in the middle of the screen always telling you how far something kinda ruins the atmosphere.
>>
>>18913148
Oh yeah! Dead Space 1-2 are honestly true horror because even if you don't dive into the extended universe you eventually learn that the Marker infects people and you never get uninfected or cured of the insanity. The Marker might as well be a god that you see and can never unsee. While the necromorphs are God damn terrifying, it's the Marker and what it does that makes DS 1-2 so much more than a survival horror game.
>>
>>18913338
Sorry, gonna have to disagree on that, Dead Space is not true horror. It's a really great saga and has very good horror for its genre, but that's it.

Still, it's only my opinion.
>>
Why are we talking about vidya on /lit?
Run out of books to talk about?
You know you're not supposed to publicly admit to enjoying video games, right?
>>
>>18913729
Disregard, I'm drunk I'm so sorry.
>>
>>18913734
Don't browse /x/ drunk, you'll get scarred
>>
While not purely a horror game, Bloodborne made me feel genuinely scared at times. A game that truly understands Lovecrafts vision of the unknown and translates it perfectly into a game. It's a shame it's only on the PS4 because it really is a game that deserves to be played by any horror fan.
>>
>>18912962
CTHULHU: DARK CORNERS OF THE EARTH

The only game I'm aware of with a sanity warning.

It's just amazing and captures the Lovecraftian atmosphere perfectly. There's a scene where a little girl dies because of your fault, and it's maddening. Later you can subtly hear the little girl's voice when crawling through the deserted city sewers.

Another nice touch is that as the bodies pile up your character slowly loses his sanity. His vision gets blurry, he gets agitated, and begins muttering to himself... "I've gotta think straight"... "Too many are dead"... "This can't be happening to me"... "Why did I come here?"... "What am I becoming?"... "What is happening to me?"
and so on...

Staring into terrible things (Lovecraftian monsters, drawings in blood, dead bodies, cultist shit, etc) lowers your sanity level further and can lead to your character shooting his brains out.

Then of course, there's the maddening mental asylum flashbacks.
Scariest game I played that's for sure.

Just so you have some idea of what I'm talking about:
https://youtu.be/_J-I-SRF1Ps
https://youtu.be/KvAfFe21ahQ
>>
>>18913085
cs is awesome the graphics are amazing and different from the other games.
>>
>>18913333
you can leave the cross hair on and turn off the distance thing.
>>
STALKER does a good job of making sure you never feel truly safe
>mfw playing Misery and realizing I'm now part accountant
>>
>>18914147
For best experience turn off the crosshairs.
>>
Doom 3

Not the BFG edition, it's brighter and the flashlight is easier to use, makes the game EZPZ

Quake 4 was pretty cool with the whole "assembly line" scene
>>
>>18914164
>Misery

Found the issue with your playthrough

All true stalkers are playing their own flavor of CoC while waiting on Gunslinger
>>
>>18914173
I really liked Misery though. Finishing a Dark Road playthrough feels fantastic.
Maybe I'm just a masochist.
>>
>>18913329
This guy knows stalker and the general consensus of /k/

SoC+Zone of Alienation was autistic as fuck with the magazine system but I still loved it

Also yeah, don't bother with Clear Sky, it's just STALKER: Grenades with a side of GRENADES. Call of Pripyat is the best stalker experience it terms of living up to modern expectations of a video game but SoC has the best atmosphere hands down, so with that mods are usually able to make you not miss many features of the later games
>>
>>18914194
I still need to play through OGSE. Cheburashka is adorable.
>>
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Only game that has ever acually spooked me. And I mean like, 22 years old at the time and had to go turn on the lights after I cut off the game, spooked me.
>>
>>18914198
I still haven't played, isn't that the one that was originally Russian?

In any case in the thousands of conversations of stalker I've witnessed on this site a lot of people suggest OGSE + item SOUP
>>
>>18914204
Yeah, I thought a quest was bugged and apparently it has its own claymation TV show over there.
I'll have to look into a SOUP combo with OGSE though.
>>
>>18914214
Wow that's far out actually

At the most you'd need to open up a few text files and add or subtract lines or adjust values when necessary, I'm pretty sure that specific merge is well known and floating about

Good on /x/ for turning this into a second /sg/
>>
>>18914226
Wanted to clarify, not STALKER, though that would be cool.
I'm talking about this thing
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheburashka
>>
>>18914239
I knew what you were talking about, Russian teletubbie
>>
>>18913085
>CS is kind of a mess so you can skip it if you want
I'm the odd one out every time stalker is brought up, cos clear sky was my favorite of the trilogy. I can't even play call of pripyat for more than 20 minutes without getting bored.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.