[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mary Suedha

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: budds.jpg (36KB, 225x310px) Image search: [Google]
budds.jpg
36KB, 225x310px
Why are so many buddhist text so concerned with how nice buddha smelled and how good he looked. Also concerned with pretty jewels and such.
It all seems so petty, counter to ideas such as detachment and seems to be made just to convince (sell to)people.
Am I missing a deeper level to this and misinterpreting it?
>>
>>18909673
Why are so many christian texts concerned with the royal lineage of jesus?
>>
>>18909737
Because they are dumb and petty?
This thread is about buddhism though.
>>
>>18909673
Huh didn't expect my thread to still be here.
I'll bump it once
>>
File: buddha.jpg (124KB, 800x502px) Image search: [Google]
buddha.jpg
124KB, 800x502px
>Why are so many buddhist text so concerned with how nice buddha smelled and how good he looked.

????
>>
>>18911659
Gautama starved himself once. Doesn't mean stuff like the 32 characteristics don't exist.
>>
>>18909737
Because of prophecy.
>>
cause al the dumb white bitches are gold diggers
>>
>>18911789
not sure how white people are to blame for this
>>
>>18909673
I'm guessing that when you achieve the state of Buddha, reality takes on the beauty we usually reserve for jewels and pleasant fragrances. Everything becomes beautiful, even what we would usually consider ugly.
>>
>>18909673
Buddhism teaches people to find themselves and reach enlightment by themselves.
Christianism teaches people to lose themselves and become selfless while serving God and get enlightened by God.
It's quite the contradiction
>>
>>18912058
>Buddhism teaches people to find themselves
Buddhism - there is no self
>Christianism teaches people to lose themselves
Christianity - the self is an eternal soul

Which one is trying to find the self, and which is trying to lose it again?
>>
>>18912503
same difference
>>
File: SAINT-GERMAIN-CHELA-PICTURE.jpg (10KB, 234x313px) Image search: [Google]
SAINT-GERMAIN-CHELA-PICTURE.jpg
10KB, 234x313px
>>18909673
>>18909673
>>
>>18912503
>the self is an eternal soul
You didn't get my point , stop wasting my time
>>
>>18912552
Your point is wrong, go back to silent meditation. Honestly the best thing Buddhism ever came up with was having its members shut up.
>>
>>18909673
Because that stuff comes later. Originally there wasn't much iconography of Buddha himself. As time went on, the religion grows, and people who think of prosperity and beauty as a sign of fundamental good inevitably start to have some say in the direction of the religion.

It's mythology, essentially. In any religion, material that's contradictory with what came before gets picked up along the way.
>>
>>18909673
Because people are trying to find words for how holy he seemed, and using descriptors that probably don't do it justice. Read Sidhartha. It's short, but in it a man meets the Buddha but besides not to follow him. The way it describes how he saw him and what he experienced talking to him showcases the point, though it is fiction.
>>
>>18909673
That's the D E G E N E R A T E latter-age version of buddhism. They worship him as a god.
>>
>>18911689
I've studied Buddhism for years and have never even heard of the 32 characteristics. A quick google search tells me that the "32 signs of a great man" are a concept in Theravada, which represents only a small minority of Buddhists throughout the world. I seriously doubt that a Zen monk, for example, would care at all for jewels, fragrances, and what the Buddha looked like.
>>
Read sutras and disregard the massive amount of weird and contradictory cultural literature people have written.

The Diamond Sutra gives a very thorough and strait explanation of how the Buddha cannot be recognized by the 32 characteristics.
>>
Buddhists are huge jerks, as jerky as judgemental Christians(which is the true religion of humanity).

Buddhists are extremely materialistic, regardless of what they say.

I avoid them like the plague.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.