[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/rat/ Rationalism General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: I_Dont_Want_To_Believe.jpg (133KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
I_Dont_Want_To_Believe.jpg
133KB, 1024x768px
Containment thread for skeptics and rationalists that seek concrete scientific proof of fringe topics. Feel free to try and redirect any such threads here. Probably won't catch on though.

Pretty much the /rat/ bible:
rationalwiki.org

Based historical rationalists:

>René Descartes
rationalwiki.org/wiki/Descartes

>Heraclitus (Not the philosopher)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraclitus_the_paradoxographer

>Greyface
https://www.principiadiscordia.com/book/49.php
>>
Even work like this must be done I say Anon! Lets hope it catches on
>>
I'm not sure if I consider myself a skeptic, but I been reading a lot regarding conspiracies, NWO, reptilian shit, you know all that stuff.

But one thing concerns me, I can't accept any of that elite secret government stuff, and aliens breeding humans and enslaving them, until someone explains to me why they would allow the internet to exist. If they really wanted to keep control of the population and information to be secret, why would they let all the plebs to access and share their secret agendas, they were to stupid to think people would divulge whatever they know? The trading of information is out of control, if they want control, allowing this medium to exist is preposterous.

Unless... there's some sort of future plan that requires the internet to enslave people even more, and still it would be incredibly sloppy to let it exist. Or they're so amazingly sure that there's nothing that can stop them and they're just taunting us before the grand finale.
>>
>>18875088
>The trading of information is out of control

It doesn't really matter how much information is out there or who has access to it. Information asymmetry describes any situation where one party in a business deal is at a decided informational disadvantage. The informed parties rarely spend much effort fixing this problem, as the most common result is a solid reaming for the involved ignoramus.

>some sort of future plan that requires the internet to enslave people even more

Kind of already exists, pic related.
>>
I'll let you have your containment thread, but you cause to much troubles and you'll hear of me again.
>>
>>18875162
Meh, I feel like I fucked up the timing, there's practically no "this is all bullshit you're all RPers" threads going atm.
>>
>>18875200
has there ever been proof of anything?

Whenever I ask concrete questions, like how to fuck with a spirit, I always get bullshit answers, like "go lurk the internet and someday you'll understand... you are not prepared like me, and I will not share anything about what I've learned because you would not understand it"

I mean after years of this board existing, there must be a single wizard capable of proving their powers right? otherwise it's all roleplaying and people acting like they're all mighty and elightened and namaste and bullshit.
>>
>>18874848
>that seek concrete scientific proof of fringe topics

Why? Obviously you've made up your mind (and I happen to agree with you) that there is no evidence for paranormal things and given this lack of evidence it most probable that they are just tales humans dreamed up for various psychosocial reasons. It is those reasons that are truly interesting, and more generally involve how belief works (including philosophical discussion of it, such as epistemology which includes your rationalism.)

So instead of just barging in here and say "prove your shit," a better question to ask is what people believe and why they believe it, understanding that it truly does fulfill needs for them, it's just that you and I understand that this filling is illusory. This readily leads into an epistemological discussion can take place, even if just briefly, where a common ground can be established for rational debate and discourse (the goal of rationalism.) Discourse is the key, instead of monologue, which includes two people spouting text at each other while only marginally considering what the other is arguing. Again if discussion on one level isn't productive, try another aspect where mutual agreement on something can be established.
>>
>>18875238
I can show paranormal phenomenon, but except they aren't paranormal. This is the experience of chi, chakras, kundalini, or energy in the body. I discovered how to do this when young, and had no clue what it was, and assumed that it was me tricking my mind into perceiving phantom sensations. It is a sort of self-induced tactile hallucination, very similar to salivating when imagining yourself biting into a lemon. Using this understanding I found a method of replication: take a pencil or pen and point it at your forehead, just above your brow. Try to imagine how intense the point would feel touching your forehead. The goal is to have a strong expectation of a physical sensation, such that it creates the perception of that sensation just a bit, with that initial small tingle making the expectation even stronger (the expectation is stronger because you are concentrating on a phantom sensation) in a feedback loop. You can make this phantom tingle incredibly strong, and induce it on the top of the head (probably related to ASMR, the forehead is easily tingled because it is a very sensitive area) fingertips (again, sensitive area) and the whole body as well. If a pencil doesn't work try a knife (carefully) which will really create the expectation of an intense sensation. After experiencing the sensation, you can learn to induce it without props, by remembering how it felt.

Tactile sensation isn't the only thing you can fool this way. You can induce perceptions of motion and force by lying on your back, closing your eyes, and visualizing yourself being on space on a surf board, the surf board moving like a rollercoaster. Or being on a sled. By trying to imagine how the forces feel like, you can perceive them, especially when you are in a meditative state. By playing with translation you can induce the experience of levitating outside of your body - this is what OBE's sometimes reference, or partly involve.
>>
>>18875238

Truth is in the eye of the beholder.

>>18875239
As OP I choose to remain (gasp) neutral on all tabled subjects, at least within the context of this thread (but lul Greyface is actually a huge dig on rationalism.) That said I happen to agree with you as far as a discourse being necessary. Moreover I would rather said discourse happen in one place (muh thread) rather than proofers popping up in the catalog and inadvertently (or not as the case may be) playing the troll against the background noise of the board.
>>
>>18875282
This is still unscientific, and just a hypothesis as it hasn't been tested, but unfortunately it is extremely difficult to find any secular and scientific information on these sort of mystical phenomenon except maybe measuring the brain during them. It is however the best explanation to me for my experiences, so fugg it. What I really want to find is something that explores them as being very similar to optical illusions, and perhaps explored in the same way that those illusions have.
>>
>>18874848
Rational wiki is a far-left website with bullshit articles.Just look at the one about the JFK assassination. It says "No,it literally happened the way you were told," and leaves it at that. Doesn't disprove any points. It's a terrible website and you should be called out on your bullshit.
>>
>>18875292
I thought them a fairly cogent counterpoint to non-skeptical /x/philes, bullshit riddled and full of themselves as they are. Their attitude on fringe and mainstream subjects tends towards as you put it, "it literally happened the way you were told." Any skeptic that posts on /x/ and doesn't frequent rationalwiki is doing themselves a disservice on lost talking points.
>>
>>18874848
Keep it rolling. The truth is out there. Right in front of you most of the time.
>>
File: 1491786859983.jpg (683KB, 620x904px) Image search: [Google]
1491786859983.jpg
683KB, 620x904px
>>18874848
>Muh scientific evidence
Just do some zen meditation and kundalini yoga, experience the supernatural yourself instead of asking scientific evidence. Crappy argument formula of asking evidence.

And why are you here? Seriously, why?
This is /x/, it's for those who believe
>>
>>18874848
>>18874848
>>18874848
>>18874848

>>>/sci/
>>
>>18876153
How do I play the game, get noticed?
>>
The truth it that it's all roleplay.
It's fun to pretend that the world is a mystical place, full of lies that only you can see through.

Just play along and don't ask questions.
>>
I for one believe In nothing. How much nothing do you believe in? Ever had any experiences of nothing happening?

Great idea for a thread /fedoras/.
>>
i am a martial artist, and am capable of focusing my energy, to the point it affects electronics and broadcast signals around me.

how may i prove to you at the very least ki/chi/prana/human energy is real and we can use it, scientifically enough for you to accept?
>>
i though as much, skeptics are scared of the truth
>>
What do you guys think of Hynek and McDonald's research? I found it very compelling.

>>18876153
>And why are you here? Seriously, why?
>This is /x/, it's for those who believe
I come here because /sci/ refuses to have discussions on any non-established topics, like UFOs.
>>
>>18875285
But if you do it properly it works and you usually will experience the the described or similar emotions, and it's good for your body, so waht's to lose?. AND the effects of kundalini yoga on the body have been scientifically tested (Some guy named Dusck (?) from harvard measured vitals during kundalini courses, and some indian dudes i couldn't even remember the name of if i tried). Ofc that's just raw data, but it's not contradictory to the effects of energy work. Btw, not the guy you replied to and not a frequent on this website, have a nice day and suck a dick!
>>
>>18875088
most "plebs" don't give a shit about conspiracy shit anyway
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.