[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else ever turn off street lights? Whenever I'm walking,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: street-lights[1].jpg (137KB, 1106x755px) Image search: [Google]
street-lights[1].jpg
137KB, 1106x755px
Anyone else ever turn off street lights?

Whenever I'm walking, streetlights will turn on or off in my vicinity, it's not common but maybe one or two on my trip will do it and it's fucking weird.
>>
i do.
makes me feel powerful.

once i was told street lights have a sensor that makes them function when there is no light around, makes me wonder.
>>
>>18869188
There is a sensor, there's one box per one city block of street lights with a little light sensor on the bottom.

We used to tape flashlights onto the bottom of it when we were kids. Until one night when we heard a screeching car and a smash and we all ran and never did it again.
>>
Streetlights regularly turn on and off as a prevention from the bulbs burning out too quickly, as well as to conserve power.
>>
>>18869194
dope.
>>
It's standard fair for street lights to turn off from my understanding, but there is one street light in my home town that turns off every single time I get near it. I told a friend of mine this and he called bullshit so we went to test it, as soon as I got underneath it, it turned off, once I got about 50' away from it, it popped back on. We walked down to my place, grabbed some drinks, then started back to his place, as soon as I got under it, out it went again. We walked away until it turned back on, then we sat there drinking for a good half hour to see if it flickered, it didn't. As we got up to leave he decided to walk under the light alone, it didn't turn off.

To this day every time I happen to be in the area I go to that light, it turns off without fail, don't get me wrong I don't think I'm actually turning it off, but fuck if it isn't the craziest coincidence.
>>
>>18869179

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_light_interference_phenomenon

Usually chalked up to confirmation bias.
>>
Happens to me very often.
The craziest time was the one when the lights turned on while we were walking with my friend at night and I said "shit, it's dark like in a nigger's ass" or something like that. That was unexpected.
>>
>>18869179
>>18869188

There is a sensor on them that is light sensitive.

Once the daylight has dimmer until a X value (because it's night or dark clouds are on that place) they turn it own automatically.

When I was a kid I used to turn then off by using a cheap red laser pointer. The sensor would think it was daylight and turn it off.

Because street lights uses mercury, it would take some time until they turned on again because they would have to re-head the mercury inside and this takes a bit of time.

And this is all the fun we had in the 90s in third world countries.....
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.