[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Invisibles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: unnamed.jpg (118KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
118KB, 750x1334px
Hey /x/. Any of you read The Invisibles by Grant Morrison?

Anyways, amongst predicting Memes in the 90's, there's a lot of throwaway dialogue that has weird connections to the future.

I know this is a standard tarot card thing but it's strange this particular one was mentioned given the election events of the past year (2016)

Conspiracy time
>>
>>18862141
> predicting Memes in the 90's

got any images to share?
>>
>>18862156

well, tomorrow I will, I don't have the book with me now but if you read the final book in the series where they are in an alternate future 2012 the mention them extensively
>>
File: IMAGE-2.jpg (53KB, 172x578px) Image search: [Google]
IMAGE-2.jpg
53KB, 172x578px
O.o
>>
>>18862171
Holy fuck when was this written?
>>
>>18862177
The series was published from from 1994 to 2000. meme is a French word that already existed before it became adopted by internet culture on an international scale.

I really think Morrison is just good at having his thumb on the pulse.
>>
>>18862177
Way way after the idea of memes came about. Dawkins wrote The Selfish Gene and coined the term meme and memetics in the late 70s.
>>
>>18862141
Go back to /co/, you sperg
>>
This comic book series was literally made to order for /x/. Highly recommend everyone giving it a good read.
>>
>>18862141
dude theyre talking about memetics not like actual funny memes. and yes they had memes in the 90s.

that being said, invisibles is probably the best comic book ever written and extremely hard to understand (the ending at least). grant morrison thinks that the Matrix movies ripped him off , which i dont fully agree with. they do have similarities (especially the agents and plugging in and out) but the premise and story is completely different. morrison used invisibles as a hypersigil to wake up the world, and this autist did a whole video on how it relates to us in current times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdxGkwvE8IY&t=330s

grant has a way of getting up his own ass (like alan moore) so a lot of the comic is infographic rather than exciting magic stuff. that being said, it is the best "magic" comic ever, people literally use it as their personal grimore. promethea by alan moore is the only other comic that comes close, but its too fantastical/up its own ass. watch morrison's disinfo speech if you want to know more about the invisibles or like "sane" chaos magic (none of this kek bullshit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-cxBuRU09w&t=468s
>>
>>18862141

The work is unparalleled genuis. About 100 years ahead of its time. Hyperfiction.

Grant morrison reveals too much about the real world in it.
>>
File: 0977.jpg (108KB, 550x362px) Image search: [Google]
0977.jpg
108KB, 550x362px
>>18863712
There's plenty of magical comics some as complex and more, Jodorowsky's and Juan Gimenez. the casta of the metabarons, The comic was originaly in spanish so it was well received here.

It's a masterpiece, Jodorowsky it's insane tough, I always try to remember people, because he tries to sell you things.

That's how it works.
>>
>>18862141
Downloaded it a while back, haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
>>
Grant morrison legit practices the occult and the freaks who made the matrix ripped off the invisibles.
The 90's were a olden time.
I think morrison, moore, and gaiman made comics more mature and intresting, too bad comics are all sjw garbage now.

I also find it interesting that two occultists like moore and morrison were working in comics at the same time.

The word and the concept of the meme was around before the internet.

The trump16 synchronicity is interesting i guess
>>
>>18862424
>>18863712
>>18863734
>>18864609
These niggas know what's up. The Invisibles is great. Has anyone read Transmetropolitan? Also one of the greatest comic series of all time imo.
>>
Yeah Morrison doesn't really hold a candle to Alan Moore, sorry. Saying The Invisibles is the goat is kind of embarrassing.
>>
>>18864654
Moore's a great fucking writer, so is Morrison. But I like Morrison's soapboxing more than I do Moore's, and I think he has a better grasp of the characters not created by him (like DC and Marvel) than Alan does.
>>
>>18864641
Spider Jerusalem is my hero.

And the Invisibles is the most important comic ever written. Gives a view untainted. Gives hope to those with eyes that see.
>>
>>18865504
Morrison understands the DCU better; the DCU is about gods pretending to be mortals, Marvel is about men pretending to apotheosis.
>>
No-one? How am I unsurprised that a hypersigil went unnoticed here
>>
>>18862171
>>18862230
>>18864641
Le upvoted, mang.
>>
>>18864654
moore is easily one of my favorite writers (jersualem is fucking amazing) and one of the best comic writers. but he is mostly remembered for watchmen and V for vendetta which are great but old af. killing joke has a love/hate relationship with its readers (and moore hates it). he basically introduced a new type of writting comics where the author can be more in control of how the story is presented, not to mention moore's attention to detail and serious research is very apparent in his work. now even though necronomicon/providence are fantastic comics (despite the subpar art work) they dont hold up to morison's the filth. like someone else mentioned morrison has a great grasp of the DCU and MCU unlike moore who thinks he can manipulate the existing characters into his own quasi universe, which didnt work. Morrison's doom patrol is also a seriously underrated comic like that shit is a mindfuck, not to mention his work on animal man which is, i belive, the first time the author became part of the story and the characters became aware that they are in a comic book. morrison is still very relevant, and invisibles actually makes a lot more sense now than it did in the 90s.

i wonder who is actually the better magician. moore admits in one of his interviews that he didnt intend on the guy fawkes mask becoming so popular (it wasnt even his idea, it was the artist's) and that the predictions in V for vendetta were mostly accidents. while morrison always had the idea of his comics changing the world (and arguably succeeding) then again im far more of a lover of ceremonial shit and OTO type magic, so i think moore has morrison beat there (he even looks like a medieval mage), but he just sees magic as a "language" or whatever and goes into his egotistical babel about his superior understanding of magic and its applications bla bla bla
>>
How bout dat?
>>
>>18864654
Moore is nice as a character author but his metaphysics is dull.
>>
File: skat12.png (742KB, 399x767px) Image search: [Google]
skat12.png
742KB, 399x767px
The only memorable scene in The Invisibles.
>>
>>18868989
>le racism
>le /pol/
>le
>>
>>18867141
>
Good Analysis ! I like how Moore speaks of magic but I find he blurs the lines a lot and isn't always clear on what he means, and certainly isn't clear on what he actually practices. The most recent interviews I read of Morrison he didn't talk at all about this kind of stuffs which always surprises me because he was all about that in the 90s. I think his old stuffs are still great and relevant but his most recent comics (those I read anyway) just weren't that great.

I always found it pretty funny how the two of them can't stand one another but both tried in their own way to include a magical way of seeing the world in their work, how they both have different but pronounced accents, how one of them has long hair and gigantic beard and the other no hair at all, how Moore is more into ritual magic and Morrison is so clearly chaos. Really, if they weren't both so full of themselves, they would've found out long ago they're more or less the same person, or two sides of the same coin.
>>
>>18869385
> they're more or less the same person

Even their names are similar.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.