[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anon has problems meditating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Hello /x/, firstoff, sorry for another meditation thread but I figured out I didn't have anyone else to discuss about this kind of subject..

So, I've being trying start meditating for the last month or so but I got stuck with a problem that most beginners do - when I streighten my back it starts to hurt after a short period of time and then I just can't concentrate properly anymore. I already tried to endure the pain and could hold up to 30 minutes, but obviously there was no shifting to other states of mind.

The position I chose to start off was half lotus because I'm familliar with it for about my whole life, so I thought it would be a reasonable choice. I've already tried other (more sucessful) methods (for me) such as lying down meditation but I decided that I shouldn't avoid the first obstacle and just leave it for later.

After figuring out my problem I did some research, found out the probable causes, found out some solving methods and already tried some of them:
- From what I can tell my problem is weak back muscles that are a product of poor posture along my whole life. Some sources said too that beginners tend to "exagerate" the posture by pushing the pelvis too far behind and the chest to far on the front.
- To solve this some sources say that it is advisable to get a little pillow to sit and correct your posture until it is OK, others say that you have to do some stretches and back strengthening exercises.
- I tried the pillow thing with some I had lying around but they didn't seem to solve my situation, the pelvis-in-the-right-position problem was checked and I am thinking now about doing the back strengthening exercises.

TL:DR: Plebeianfag wants to reach gnosis but can't because his fucked up back doesn't think so.

My questions before I get into doing the back strengthening exercises is:
Am I solving this situation the right way? Did I get something about meditation wrong? Am I missing something?
Any additional information would help me a lot.
>>
>>18854019
You don't need to use the lotus position, it's for people who have been doing yoga their entire life and can understand how the body falls around itself and structurally supports a heavy feeling and relaxed torso. A lot of gurus will tell you to lie on your back or just slouch in a chair. You don't really need the good posture. Don't let anyone tell you that. I'm not sure anyone even says that, they just tell you how the lotus is used to crumple in your own footprint, which is an enticing incentive, but not realistic to be even recommended nevermind mandatory

You can just try the same relaxations lying on your back. Might even be a little simpler too
>>
>>18854102
>A lot of gurus will tell you to lie on your back or just slouch in a chair.
Do not lie on your back unless you are ready to sleep. Do not slouch in a chair, although sitting in one upright or even sitting lotus-like position on a chair is fine.
>>18854102
>You don't really need the good posture. Don't let anyone tell you that.
Sorry this anon is retarded. You definitely need good posture; a straight spine is very important, think of it like an antenna.

Good luck Anon, you are on the right path.
>>
>>18854019
The position you choose is just to maintain concentration. Many people use a chair (knees never above the hips).

What matters most is that your back is erect - but not stiff. This will avoid sleepiness
>>
>>18854120
Yeah, I tried a little bit doing it on a chair and it seemed fine (better than on the ground at least)

>>18854149
Will try to keep the back erect

>>18854083

Thanks to all who replied - I will go on with the exercises and look for an "easier" position for now so that I can build up to harder ones later
>>
Try the classic womb pose like Sandra Bullock in gravity. You can go into a trance state from any position so long as youre completely comfortable I always thought.
>>
>>18854102
>>18854120
can either of you provide evidence?
presuming lack of evidence either way, the hypothesis that posture it not important holds the advantage due to Occam's Razor.
>>
>>18854102

I agree. Proper posture is good to have, but not mandatory at all. Persistence is mandatory.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.