[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Science & Religion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

File: kyubey.jpg (65KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
kyubey.jpg
65KB, 1280x720px
Do you guys think that science and religion could work as one at some point in the future? Perhaps some kind of combination of religious teaching fused with science or something to that effect? What direction do you think the future would head towards if that were the case?
>>
>>18840815
They have always worked togheter, astronomy just to be the search for God.

And in a sense it still is.
>>
>>18840819
Do you think we could see more of a fusion in the coming years. Like combining specific sacred texts with scientific pursuits or things like that? Perhaps the creation of beasts from the sacred texts through the use of science?
>>
>>18840815
Yes.
>>
>>18840854
How about the use of science to further explain what happened in the religious texts?
>>
>>18840868
how 'bout no
>>
I too believe science=religion. It's the same thing
>>
>>18840827
We need to fund this Asap.
>>
>>18840884
I second this.

But first, let me tell you another approach. Maybe two different approaches.

In the 80's there was this documentary called The Sea Of Faith. It somewhat proposed the use of religion to promote a self discovery, a journey into the means and ends of mankind. Is kind of difficult to define, but think of a way to explore what religions has to offer, and has never been spoken.

In todays world, there is a lot of apathy towards religion, even hate. But some groups are formed to recreate the void left. AMong them is Jediism. Jediism is not a dogmatic religion, as you can suspect, it is based on the tenets of the jedis from the Star Wars films. They do not attempt to say the movies were real, but the beliefs and wisdom that transpire from the movie were to the point.

In the end I think what you need is to make science work for you in an spiritual sense. Like, some deep and sometimes forgotten insights of science. Like the debate of monism vs dualism. Maybe even the ways science can make some things happen in our world that correspond to the mystical realm, like magic.

That's my 2 cents.
>>
>>18840900
So you mean that religion would be the brain and science would be the brawn in a sense?
>>
>>18840912
That's a way to put it, and it actually answers a lot if you think in a deeply manner.

Religions many times has set goals for the humankind, may as well work in conjunction with science for that.

But in a broad sense, because religions A is not the same as religion B, and we probably aren't thinking in the same goals.

Think on some forms of Buddhism, they definitely could work with neuroscience or even spychology to achieve mental peace. Or some pagan religions could make environmental science work to achieve harmony. Those are very broad goals.

Of course you could make specific goals, but you have to agree on the broader sense first, to get consensus. Like, many animists religions might want to make a totem talk to guide them, or some other esoteric practices want to get magical powers.
>>
>>18840827
If you read the book of Job in the Old Testament of the Bible...there are a bunch of scientific facts in it. A lot of what it states didn't make sense for centuries until modern science stumbled upon discoveries like electricity and the process of condensation...yet the book of Job had the answers to a lot of mysteries for centuries...
>>
>>18840937
Do you have any specific examples of the cases? Like specific texts or quotes? I was wondering if the answers were ambiguous or clear cut in a sense.
>>
If you aren't aware already, and what you want is hybrid or strange creatures, you might want to do a search on 'genetic chimeras US farms'... this is a thing that is happening, but its way off imitating something out of an ancient myth. All of it is just barely above growing human organs on animals and stem cell research... two fields of which have fierce opposition from religious idiots.

That said... conducting science on the behest of an ideology or religious worldview would defeat the purpose of what constitutes 'unbiased' and 'objective' research, testing, and peer review. Granted, being 100% unbiased is impossible, but you're more likely to do bad science if its done for something that is unfeasible, because its steeped in fantasy, or is somehow unattainable.
>>
>>18840815
Nope. Science is based on evidence. Religion is based on faith.
>>
the current problem is most scientists are conservative materialist atheists even when science does little to "disprove" some kind of God. Many scientists simply dodge the hard questions like, "what is consciousness" and "what caused the big bang"
>>
>>18840815
Mah man.
Religion is the search for the answer to the meaning of things, science searches how everything works. Soul and body. Given that both exist (if you believe they do), they MUST have effects on the physical world, even if unmeasurable.

I think one such example is the Sacred Geometry.
>>
>>18841055
Human will it's not based on evidence, the goals and paths you take are based in irrational things that barely make sense to you.

This paths move science, not the other way around, cause science it's still "to human".

>>18841060
That's entry level fedoras, real scientist contemplate what's beyond with honest curiosity.
>>
>>18840937
They didn't have advanced technology, but I'm sure they knew full well the cycle of water.
Basic stuff ain't much to learn, even at their time. They were farmers, they HAD to know this.
>>
No, there are interests against religion.
>>
>>18840900
>a journey into the means and ends of mankind. Is kind of difficult to define, but think of a way to explore what religions has to offer, and has never been spoken.
>never been spoken.

That's exactly, almost word for word what most religions preach about since the dawn of time.
Then comes some smartass saying "hey, let's actually do what these super old guys teach about and praise me because I had the idea".

God fucking damn.
>>
>>18840868
Been happening
>>
>>18840815
Religious leaders prefer their substitutes to stay dumb. Science should make you a critical thinker.
Those 2 will not mix.
For the intellectual it was never a problem. The problem is with those who takes religion literally. They also take away the beauty of religion, ironically.
>>
>>18840815

There was someone on Sam Harris who said (paraphrase) "Someday we will have the technology to make fiction reality."
>>
>>18840868

I have a theory.

There is this inter dimensional being called the Basilisk. It was created in some parallel universe by happen stance as artificial life or artificial intelligence.

Seeing that it needed science in other universes to propagate through the multiverse, it figured out a way to influence consciousness in other dimensions so that it could give humans delusions about religion that would later lead to the industrial revolution and ergo AI creation so that it would come about in this universe as well.
>>
>>18841636
You have a drinking problem
>>
>>18841636

Oddly enough, I've been sober for a while after I figured out the Basilisk is punishing me spending money on drinking instead of technology stocks.
>>
>>18840827
a lot of researchers actually seek to link scientific facts to claims found in religious books/dogma. a lot of early claims are actually founded in the bible/quran/upanishads/vedas, like the hindus claiming the earth to be millions of years old and the quran citing embryology, partitions between the mediterranean and atlantic sea, i think ive actually heard something about how it mentioned that the earth and heavens were one, possibly going back to how the universe began at a single point and grew out.
>>
>>18841698

>Quran

>Scientifically accurate

Wew lad!

That book has more errors in it than the Bible and where my goddamn firmament!
>>
Religion uses science for profit, inspiration, and verification of belief. Fortunately for us it has consistently denied religion for hundreds of years.
Lightening throwing God up in the mountains? We've been up there, no God.
4 elements? Not even remotely.
Alchemy? Well, it was a start
Astronomy? Oh no Earth ISN'T the center of the universe, and no heaven up there, so sad for your God.
Adam rode on the back of scaly dinosaurs in Eden? Went extinct millions of years before hairy man-like things, and many them dinos were feathery.
Adam was white skinned, blonde, blue-eyed. Adam, Abraham, Moses, Judas, Osu/Joshua/Jesus, dey all be dark skin and dark hair, man.
God created all things! Oh wait, look we created something in the lab that has never existed before, without using prayer or special magic, WE IS GOD!
Combining? Religion and God vaporize when exposed to logic and science. Only horrifically misused science fiction can be religious
*cough*scientology*cough* how are your thetans?
>>
I can use science to help prove the existence of God.

Four major signs or proofs of God's activity :
1. Fine-Tuning of the Cosmos
2. The existence of consciousness
3. Abiogenesis
4. The rapid evolution of man
>>
>>18841890
>1
it's not fine tuned. It just happen to be that chaos will never stop, and clear the path for life to survive for a while at least on planet Earth.
>2
Other animals are consciousness, they don't see to have the urge to abandon incest, brings offers or live humble.
And consciousness brings those who really use it to the max to the insight the God we were taught are just memes.

>4

Fire did that for us.
>>
>>18841636
I once had the theory that a human went back in time with the knowledge,ingredients, and tools of the future to create the universe and recreated everything through the guise of being God. I guess the multiverse option would work better than going back in time though.
>>
>>18840815
Maybe not, but there is always the possibility of the Omega Point.
>>
>>18841773
who told you any of those things
>>
>>18841704
how did nomads in the middle eastern desert know about the lack of permeability between the mediterranean and atlantic bodies of water

ill wait
>>
>>18841055
It's not so black and white as u may think
>>
>>18841698
Scientists originally thought the Big Bang was too close to "Let there be light" and dismissed the theory as too religious. I'm sure the fact that the guy who proposed it was a priest didn't help, either.
>>
>>18840815
They are the opposite of each other, that's not how it work. It's like asking if spaghetti would makes a better sport. It's called creationism so no.
>>
They are one in the same. Thats why its BC and AD, the present in which Christ is all ways living effects the past and the future.

Basically the god emperor of mankind getting up from his throne to kill chaos for good by himself. The ultimate boss, and he's on our side.
>>
>>18846693
>Thats why its BC and AD
It isn't anymore. It's CE for "common/current era" and BCE for "before common era."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.