[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spontaneous Human Combustion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4

File: SHC.jpg (221KB, 818x491px) Image search: [Google]
SHC.jpg
221KB, 818x491px
What causes it? Give me some theories. It's real, that much is certain.
>>
>>18838434
holding in farts
>>
>>18838437
kek
>>
It's not real. Read up faggot I'm not going to do it for you.
>>
>>18838461
My research has lead me to believe that it's real. You're not going to convince me just by calling me a faggot.
>>
the electric universe theory
Ivan Sanderson
It has to do with the energy the soul is made of, aether or chi or prana however you want to call it
>>
>>18838466
My thinking is along these lines as well. I was thinking of the Hindu concept of Agni-Prasana (breath of fire) and the whole concept of life being a sort of fire.
>>
From http://www.crystalinks.com/shc.html

>Over the past 300 years, there have been more than 200 reports of persons burning to a crisp for no apparent reason.

>The first reliable historic evidence of Spontaneous Human Combustion appears to be from the year 1673, when Frenchman Jonas Dupont published a collection of Spontaneous Human Combustion cases and studies entitled De Incendiis Corporis Humani Spontaneis. Dupont was inspired to write this book after encountering records of the Nicole Millet case, in which a man was acquitted of the murder of his wife when the court was convinced that she had been killed by spontaneous combustion. Millet, a hard-drinking Parisian was found reduced to ashes in his straw bed, leaving just his skull and finger bones. The straw matting was only lightly damaged. Dupont's book on this strange subject brought it out of the realm of folkloric rumor and into the popular public imagination.

>On April 9, 1744, Grace Pett, 60, an alcoholic residing in Ipswich England, was found on the floor by her daughter like "a log of wood consumed by a fire, without apparent flame." Nearby clothing was undamaged.

>In the 1800's is evidenced in the number of writers that called on it for a dramatic death scene. Most of these authors were hacks that worked on the 19th century equivalent of comic books, "penny dreadfuls", so no one got too worked up about it; but two big names in the literary world also used SHC as a dramatic device, and one did cause a stir.

>The first of these two authors was Captain Marryat who, in his novel Jacob Faithful, borrowed details from a report in the Times of London of 1832 to describe the death of his lead character's mother, who is reduced to "a sort of unctuous pitchey cinder."
>>
>>18838434
Internal friction between cells in our body.

Say for instance you had a jar of popcorn kernels, well it could be possible to pop one the kernels if enough friction and heat was created between the kernels themselves by shaking the jar vigorously enough which could cause a chain reaction (of course in the case of the jar it couldn't because lack of oxygen but lets say you poked a few holes in the lid).

Alcohol consumption and/or dehydration may help the conditions needed for this to occur.
>>
>>18838482
>Twenty years later, in 1852, Charles Dickens used Spontaneous Human Combustion to kill off a character named Krook in his novel Bleak House. Krook was a heavy alcoholic, true to the popular belief at the time that SHC was caused by excessive drinking. The novel caused a minor uproar; George Henry Lewes, philosopher and critic, declared that SHC was impossible, and derided Dickens' work as perpetuating a uneducated superstition. Dickens responded to this statement in the preface of the 2nd edition of his work, making it quite clear that he had researched the subject and knew of about thirty cases of SHC. The details of Krook's death in Bleak House were directly modeled on the details of the death of the Countess Cornelia de Bandi Cesenate by this extraordinary means; the only other case that Dickens actually cites details from is the Nicole Millet account that inspired Dupont's book about 100 years earlier. book about 100 years earlier.

>In 1951, the Mary Reeser case recaptured the public interest in Spontaneous Human Combustion. Mrs. Reeser, 67, was found in her apartment on the morning of July 2, 1951, reduced to a pile of ashes, a skull, and a completely undamaged left foot. This event has become the foundation for many a book on the subject of SHC since, the most notable being Michael Harrison's Fire From Heaven, printed in 1976. Fire From Heaven has become the standard reference work on Spontaneous Human Combustion.

>On May 18, 1957, Anna Martin, 68, of West Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was found incinerated, leaving only her shoes and a portion of her torso. The medical examiner estimated that temperatures must have reached 1,700 to 2,000 degrees, yet newspapers two feet away were found intact.
>>
>>18838485
>On December 5, 1966, the ashes of Dr. J. Irving Bentley, 92, of Coudersport, Pennsylvania, were discovered by a meter reader. Dr. Bentley's body apparently ignited while he was in the bathroom and burned a 2-1/2-by-3-foot hole through the flooring, with only a portion of one leg remaining intact. Nearby paint was unscorched.

>July 1, 1951 -- Perhaps the most famous case occurred in St. Petersburg, Florida. Mary Hardy Reeser, a 67-year-old widow, spontaneously combusted while sitting in her easy chair. The next morning, her next door neighbor tried the doorknob, found it hot to the touch and went for help. She returned to find Mrs. Reeser, or what was left of her, in a blackened circle four feet in diameter. All that remained of the 175-pound woman and her chair was a few blackened seat springs, a section of her backbone, a shrunken skull the size of a baseball, and one foot encased in a black stain slipper just beyond the four-foot circle. Plus about 10 pounds of ashes. The police report declared that Mrs. Reeser went up in smoke when her highly flammable rayon-acetate nightgown caught fire, perhaps because of a dropped cigarette. But one medical examiner stated that the 3,000-degree heat required to destroy the body should have destroyed the apartment as well. In fact, damage was minimal - the ceiling and upper walls were covered with soot. No chemical accelerants, incidentally, were found.

>In 1944 Peter Jones, survived this experience and reported that there was no sensation of heat nor sighting of flames. He just saw smoke. He stated that he felt no pain.
>>
>>18838466
>>18838461
>>18838434
probably some dumbass drank too much strong ass liquor and decided to follow up with a good smoke, only to perhaps breathe in a piece of red hot ash.

and well, go from there anons
>>
>>18838489
Nah, can't be that simple else it would happen a lot more often.
>>
It is an effect similar to how candles burn. The fat in the body melts and a wicking effect takes place.
>>
>>18838489
Cigarette cherries don't ignite ethanol or gas.
>>
Have heard ball lightning thrown about as an explanation. It in and of itself is seemingly rare though. On a side not fat burns incredibly well when it reaches a certain temperature.
>>
electrical accident, what's amazing is how fast the body burns

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=aa0_1490421732
>>
>>18838514
who said they had to be smoking a cigarette?

hell, they could be smoking on a stem or a pipe, which would easily explain the "red hot ash" bit.
>>
File: IamOneAsIam.png (5KB, 40x40px) Image search: [Google]
IamOneAsIam.png
5KB, 40x40px
>>18838434
The phenomenon is not well studied, because of the obvious ethical concerns related to harm.

However, most physicists and medical personnel would argue that there is some combination of factors including: low-temperature combustion of alcohol, a wick effect in the the diffusion of body fat; and the pyrophoric chemistry of electrical short circuits and chimney residues. Those ambient conditions combine to permit a chain reaction of accelerating oxidation.

There is a relatively recent paper which you can read if you want to learn more about the scientific inquiry-

Koljonen, V., & Kluger, N. (2012). Spontaneous human combustion in the light of the 21st century. Journal of Burn Care & Research, 33(3), e102-e108.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Virve_Koljonen/publication/221770583_Spontaneous_Human_Combustion_in_the_Light_of_the_21st_Century/links/0c9605157266a71cc5000000.pdf

These anons have some idea of what counts as a correct explanation:
>>18838489
Alcohol is probably a factor, but you should not blame the victim.

>>18838510
You should read about the Wick Effect.
Here you go-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wick_effect

>>18838515
It is more respectable to refer to those phenomenon, which are like ball lightning, as a short circuit in the gas phase.

>>18838620
The word accident implies that there was some kind of ongoing human activity, malfunction or defect is more appropriate.
>>
>>18838483
Not possible to obtain enough friction heat by just shaking
>>
>>18838489
Not even igniting the alcohol inside your stomach would combust your entire body
>>
>>18838515
Temperature that would make your organs to fail and dehydrate before they melt/combust
>>
>>18838434
>It's real, that much is certain.

If it was real, it would be a documented medical/scientific phenomenon (even if they couldn't yet find a reason for it).

I used to be interested in this as a kid, but most of these stories can be easily explained away as careless people dying in a fire they themselves started.
>>
>>18838454
xd
>>
it was scientifically proven that spontanous human combustion is the result of pork fat mixing with human fat in a certain way which ignites the fat in the whole body.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (76KB, 1280x718px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
76KB, 1280x718px
>>18838434
That's why you never combine alcohol & mexican food, shit will burn you from inside out.
>>
>>18839060
>If it was real, it would be a documented medical/scientific phenomenon (even if they couldn't yet find a reason for it).
no? Not if it was as rare as it is.
>>
>>18839084
>no?

Yes.

>Not if it was as rare as it is.

Anon, rare diseases and medical conditions happen ALL THE FUCKING TIME and most eventually get documented and looked at by the medical community, even if all they can say is "We have no fucking clue what this is/what causes it, but we're looking into it."

This shit is old and the reason we're discussing it on a paranormal image board is because no one has found any evidence of it actually being a real phenomenon. Thus, it falls in the realm of unexplained/paranormal and no one can say whether it is "real" or not by definition.
>>
>>18839091
>happen all the fucking time
>comparable to something that is so rare there have only been 200 or so known cases in human history
You're an idiot. And the thing about rare diseases is that they can be found and understood AFTER the person dies
>>
>>18838489
you believe real life works like a movie? Go pour a puddle of gasoline on the ground, light a cigarette and throw it on it in slow motion like in an action movie. It wont start a fire. You could drink a 5th of everclear then eat a burning cigar and you still wouldnt just go up in flames.
Some sort of very rare chemical reaction is happening in these people that we are never able to study obviously. It seems to happen only in old people so maybe it involves a buildup of some kind of metal in the body over decades and gets released somehow. Very spooky.
>>
>>18838464
>It's real, that much is certain.
>My research has lead me to believe that it's real.
>certain believe
[citation needed]
>>
>>18839097
>thinking all rare diseases are fatal
>still missing the point

Anon, pls. Just stop. Believe in it if you want, but don't go acting like this is any more credible than crop circles or Bigfoot.
>>
>>18839116
>picks out literally the least important part of my argument
>anon, pls. Just stop.
Stop being retarded
>>
Turns out achieving CHIM just hurts like fuck
>>
>>18839032
There may be some infinitesimal possibility for ambient heat to stream together in the right place and the right time; but we would not use terms like friction or shaking to describe that process.

>>18839037
The alcohol might diffuse to form a channel for fat to follow.

>>18839060
Quoth Koljonen and Kluger:
"In conclusion, a phenomenon called SHC is a scientific and medical reality which is neither incredible nor mysterious."
>https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Virve_Koljonen/publication/221770583_Spontaneous_Human_Combustion_in_the_Light_of_the_21st_Century/links/0c9605157266a71cc5000000.pdf

>>18839066
I think it is alcohol acting as a carrier agent for human fat, with some probability current to induce electrophoresis.

>>18839084
The legal community does not want to acknowledge the phenomenon because it opens a loophole excuse for homicide by arson.

>>18839103
>It seems to happen only in old people so maybe it involves a buildup of some kind of metal in the body over decades and gets released somehow.

The only hypothesis is a buildup of organic compounds in the setting. Maybe you could have a buildup of alkali metals from eating too much sodium from junk food.

>>18839112
>[citation needed]
I repeated the citation.

>>18839116
Did you read the citation?
>>
>>18839037
there is combustible gas in the human body, though.

how else would one be able to light their farts on fire then?
>>
>>18839103
are you really telling me that red, burning hot ash, the kind that is still glowing red, that if you put it next to a fucking match head, would light that fucking match aflame, would not ignite gasoline?

do you smoke by the gas pumps, too?
>>
>>18839230
Not the same. At gas stations, they're worried about the lighter igniting the gas FUMES.

And no, burning hot ash will not ignite liquid gas.
>>
>>18839249
Depends on the ash.

They put a inhibitor in cigarettes so fires do not start.
>>
>>18839230
>match heads and gasoline are the same thing

Go back to 6th grade science class
>>
>>18839382
that's the paper so it has to constantly be smoked or it eventually stops burning, dumbass. What do YOU think, they put a chemical in the tobacco so it doesn't burn as hot and the burning ember is somehow weaker??
>>
>>18838434
Build up of static electricity
>>
>>18839394
>What do YOU think, they put a chemical in the tobacco so it doesn't burn as hot and the burning ember is somehow weaker??

Yes, and they do that during the dry-aging process.
>>
>>18838434
>it's real

Nope.

Human combustion is real. Spontaneous not so much.
>>
It has been proven well enough that the human body can burn to ash almost completely when the clothes are ignited and the body is undisturbed and immobile. The fire gets very hot, but burns locally and very slowly. There have been murder cases where the victim was found in a state just like one would expect from so-called spontaneous combustion. The difference is, that it was later discovered that the culprits set the victims on fire with very little fuel.
So we know the well-known picture is not only caused by some unexplained phenomenon, but can happen under very mundane but specific circumstances.

Note that nobody has ever seen such a combustion or even found a victim that combusted just moments ago. The victims were always alone for quite some time. Furthermore, almost all of them were elderly, alcoholics or otherwise disabled. People that could easily get completely immobile.

Spontaneous cumbustion is only claimed in cases where just the body burnt, but not much around ist. However, if you look at the cases present, often there is a source of open flame or a good reason for someone lighting one around: Gas stoves, open fireplaces, ashtrays and packages of cigarettes next to the victim.
So the fire can very often be explained to be caused by mundane causes.

So what reason has this theory to still be around. Show me one case that really can't be explained, that would be interesting.
>>
>>18839394
Thats exactly waht they do

but the paper is special to, those little lines you see on it are to stop if from burning unless you are smoking it
>>
>>18839781
I once saw a guy throw a lit cigarrete into a petroleum barrel.

I lost five years of my life while that thing was in the air.

>>18839180
I don't think it's a legal problem, more like one of those things that are impossible to duplicate in a lab.
>>
>>18838483
At that point of dehydration you would be long dead
>>
>>18839788
Petroleum dosent even burn when you try to light a puddle of it with a lighter.
>>
File: Might.jpg (1MB, 1327x902px) Image search: [Google]
Might.jpg
1MB, 1327x902px
>>18839788
It is a legal quandary because of the phenomenology; but not a widespread difficulty for the justice system.
>>
>>18839788
my dad used to do that all the time when people would freak out tell him to stop smoking by gasoline, fuckin hilarious to see their faces.
>>
>>18838483
Internal friction between cells? Wow, I mean we are getting all kinds of crap here, but this is flat earth level of nonsense.

Even if you ignore all the biological limitations, how do you suppose this could happen...
1. without the person dying first, thus stopping all friktion
2. ignoring 1., without all the water boiling away before anything inside the body can catch fire.

The alcohol consuption is just as stupid. Take a bottle of (almost) pure alcohol and pour it in a bucket of water. The exact measurements don't matter. Now try to light it on fire.

You need at least around 35% of alcohol in the mixture to recieve even something you can light for a very short time.
>>
>>18838434
>claims to have researcherd shc
>posts picture that is clearly not shc

Come on now: Open area, fuel traces around the body and most important: burnt extremeties and intact torso. This is exactly the opposite of what you'd expect with shc
>>
Try lighting a piece of pork meat on fire, not very easy and take out the oxygen as well if it's happening inside the body.
maybe they spontaneously ascended and the body was not ready, maybe they were focus of clandestine experimentation?
>>
>>18838434
Very hot topic
>>
>>18838464
Research has led me to believe you are a faggots.
>>
>>18840034
and you are cock sucker for being such asshole
>>
>>18839387
no one said that, retard, perhaps you should take your own advice, and retake 6th grade reading, you retarded nigger
>>
>>18840140
Not that anon, but yes... you actually said that.
>>
Man on motorcycle bursts into flames

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9d0_1490975574
>>
>>18838434
Isn't this from Freakylinks? Anyone remember that show from the 90's?
I remember as a kid i was hooked after i saw that footage of the guy walking in the sewers and finding sewer people or some shit
>>
>>18840140
You basically did, and Im saying those two things can ignite in different ways. Is that so hard for you to understand without throwing a temper tantrum? Read a book.
>>
>>18838434
Reading the Daily Mail always does it to me.
>>
>>18838461
go read some l ron hubbard then. its written, therefore its real!
>>
very hot thread
>>
>>18840201
no way, really?
its not like i was aware...must be some spooky ghosts

>>18840297
>they ignite in different ways
i dont even care.

dumb niggers drank too much liquor, had a smoke of something off of something, and it just so happened to cause some shit to ignite in the body.

and to point out our farts can be lit on fire, so it should be highly obvious to the most oblivious retard that us humans have and expel gas that can be ignited.

theres nothin spooky going on here
>>
>>18842865
at such a high temperature to obliterate the human body but leave nearby objects unphased? Yeah right
>>
>>18839112
You are a faggot
>>
>>18838434
listening to incubus
pardon me while burst iNtO FlaMes
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.