[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Jungian archetypes simply a result of confirmation bias?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 1483501148894s.jpg (8KB, 250x235px) Image search: [Google]
1483501148894s.jpg
8KB, 250x235px
Are Jungian archetypes simply a result of confirmation bias?

I've been watching Jordan B Peterson lectures and whilst I find him an interesting speaker, I don't get how Disney movies can somehow reflect our deepest, innermost collective experiences.
>>
File: Bigbadpractical.png (168KB, 473x347px) Image search: [Google]
Bigbadpractical.png
168KB, 473x347px
>>18823248
There are basically two options. Let's take the archetype of the big bad wolf for example.

If you show a newborn baby a picture of a big bad wolf he will be scared of it, even if he has no former experiences with wolves and no reason to be scared of it.

Option A. These archetypes are encoded in our collective gene pool and hence hardwired in our brain.

Option B. We are all subconsciously connected to this realm of archetypes in a paranormal way, not yet understood by science.

But confirmation bias, no.
>>
>>18823308
I call bullshit, kids love wolves and dragons
>>
>>18823308

I'm talking more about analysing kids films like Pinocchio and The Lion King like they actually has some grand meaning which is what Jordan Peterson does
>>
>>18823313
That's on a different level, but the same applies. If you take the story of Pinocchio about self-actualization and realization, that's an universal human experience. Well not all humans get to experience it, but all human could experience it. It's hard wired into us, be it through our genes or through something else we are connected to.

Science sadly isn't that interested in it right now, and psychology tends to treat the human mind like a black box, right now where behavioral psychology is trending. Somewhere in the future another Jung will come along and will advance the field to the point where this will be studied again on a serious level I hope.

But I wouldn't call it confirmation bias, there are lots of studies showing that universal archetypes like these are clearly a thing. Of course you can always over analyse things and that's when confirmation bias comes into play, I'm not too familiar with Jordan Peterson, but I'll have to look his stuff up.
>>
>>18823329

You won't be disappointed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixc9i1G7eew
>>
>>18823312
t. sunshine
>>
The easiest way to get your mind around archetypes is to describe them as "modes of being". The Hero archetype is a heroic figure who acts heroically. The Great Father/Mother is the same idea.

Thing is, as ideal modes of being, they need to be not actualized but rediscovered to understand how one can be act in a different culture, society, era.

So Disney (or Marvel/DC for that matters) can embody the archetype of the hero and make it live on a different settings so that we can learn from emulation how to embody that archetype.
>>
>>18823248
>I don't get how Disney movies can somehow reflect our deepest, innermost collective experiences.
how could they not? that's what Myth is and children's stories are generally some sort of distillation or simplification of a mythic narrative.
>>
>>18823313
i think you are overlooking the fact that these were wildly successful and popular movies. when a film successfully combines production quality with universal themes, it is much more likely to be universally popular and enjoyable.
you could try to dissect shitty budget disney copy-cats in the same way, but you wouldn't find much, which can explain why it was forgotten and failed to resonate with anyone..
>>
>>18823308
>If you show a newborn baby a picture of a big bad wolf he will be scared of it, even if he has no former experiences with wolves and no reason to be scared of it.
OR it's an instinctual behaviour from the prehistoric times and a natural reaction of our brain. Which, to tell you the truth, sounds a lot more compelling than "muh archetypes".
>>
>>18825443
you're just using different words to say the same thing? explain instinctual behavior? explain why a chicken bred for 10 generations in isolation without ever seeing the sky, let alone a hawk, has the same reaction to a hawk shaped shadow passing over it as an ordinary chicken?

instinct? well what the hell is instinct? some deeply embedded structural-behavioral modeling? that's fundamentally what an archetype IS, bucko.
>>
File: JungQuote.jpg (49KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
JungQuote.jpg
49KB, 500x371px
>pic related
>>
>>18825859
Peterson is only using pinnochio and the lion King as examples to help him describe what is called a meta story. The fact is that these archetypes which are consistent in the movies he dissects are present throughout all of humanity''s history of storytelling, from ancient Egyptian mythology to Harry Potter. They reflect human morality and give insight into the human condition, which is why we find them interesting and meaningful to begin with. No bias here, just keen observation.
>>
>>18825859
Lol didn't mean to post as a reply to you sorry
>>
>>18823248
The next paper you have to write for your English class just take a bible story or any "archetypes", change the names and a few things, then hand it in.

you'd be surprised.
>>
A story is interesting to us when it resonates with something instinctual.
>>
>>18826819
Also when it resonates with something personal.
>>
>>18826823
The two are linked, I would say.
>>
>>18823308
>evolution don't real
>muh spoopy
>>
>>18825443
its literally the same moron, an archetype is basically an idea ingrained into biology
>>
>>18823248
>I don't get how Disney movies can somehow reflect our deepest, innermost collective experiences.

Because even the hackiest of screenwriters tend to put some of those in there, subconsciously, but usually very consciously, on account of being human and having to draw on their experiences and influences for the thing to work.
It's screenwriting at its most basic, 101 even.
Hell, some are even dedicated Jungians that do this very deliberately, just read up on Kubrick and the type of people he preferred to collaborate with on his scripts and what they were after.
I personally think it's the wrong approach to tie these things to the mystical or any unseen collective concious godhead proxy, because these things can so easily be tracked back to the mundane. But with that said, the mundane is both criminally underrated and unexplored in any case.
>>
>>18825443
>>18827746
Not him, but it's fascinating that you guys completely missed the fact that option A. is taking the evolutionary psychology perspective.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.