[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Abandoned Places

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 18

File: IMG_4981.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4981.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
Once a year, I return to my hometown to wander through the abandoned mall, for the nostalgia. The restrooms are still stocked, there is still music on the speakers, and aside from the two mallwalkers here, I'm alone.

Got any pictures of your favorite abandoned places?
>>
>>18809410
>Mallwalkers
Explain
>>
Abandoned town in the desert, I wandered around for hours, town got flooded and people left.
>>
>>18809414
Horrible leathery creatures with false teeth, thinning hair, and pastel windbreakers. Otherwise known as old people.
>>
I got an abandoned hospital at my town and its ruined and got shit ton of stuff inside of it
Been there once and found a blind man id something like that im too scared to go again
maybe i will go today and take some pics
>>
File: 1458678020331.jpg (18KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1458678020331.jpg
18KB, 320x240px
>>18809613
Do but be careful.
>>
>>18809613
Do it!! Be safe, though!
>>
>>18809415
[spoiler]Chile?[/spoiler]
>>
>>18809706
there are no spoilers in /x/
it does looks like chile
VIVA CHILE MIERDA
>>
>>18809613
There's an abandoned hospital in my town, too. Sadly the influx of explorers means they've locked it down tightly, but it's not just about the number of people who went exploring there. Instead, they tightened security after a stash of hidden documents were found inside a decaying wall. They had patient details from over a hundred years ago, and breached the law because they left them behind. It really makes you wonder what else they could have hidden in there, and why they would have hidden important records inside the walls.
The explorer who found those documents caught it on film but didn't look through them before putting them back so as to be respectful to the patients mentioned on them. Shortly thereafter the documents were removed and security was ramped way up.
When I went there years back, I discovered that there was an older building than the main hospital on the site, which had shut down many years before the main hospital closed down. I don't know why it closed down but it had walkways that looked down on rooms through mirrors and each room looked like a prison cell or operating chamber, with a single bed frame in the middle of the room. All the rooms were in a row and were a floor below the ground level, such that the walkway with the glass windows was on the ground floor. I didn't hang around there for long but the place seemed pretty empty anyway. What doesn't add up to me is that it was meant to have been a mental health unit and I can't find any solid information on why it was shut down while the rest of the hospital kept functioning.
They demolished that building a couple of years back despite not beginning deconstruction of the main complex.
It's a little bit creepy I guess. Probably lots of ghosts in that place if you believe in them.
>>
There's an old hospital in my town that has been abandoned for 5 years ever since the new hospital's opened.

The only part of the old hospital that's still used is the basement (where the morgue is), because the new hospital doesn't even have a morgue. The first floor, second floor, third floor, and fourth floor are completely abandoned and unused.

The old hospital has a creepy reputation, there's a local meme that it's haunted by a family of skiiers who died in an accident during the 80s (the skii hill is 20 minutes away), and the fact that it's almost entirely abandoned save for its morgue, and the morgue guy's a creepy 50 year old autist who's borderline retarded.

The creepiest thing anybody's found in the hospital was the morgue guy autistically wandering and spinning around like a pre-schooler on the fourth floor for whatever reason.
>>
>>18810491
You sure that the morgue guy wasn't possessed by a dead kid?
>>
>>18810547
No, he's just loopy. Really friendly guy but he's the kind of guy you look at and know he's handicapped. He spends half of his week at the hospital and the other half at home with his 80 year old mother.
>>
>>18809415
>>18810273

>town got flooded and people left.
Yeah, It was Chañaral
>>
>>18810560
It must be a little town NEAR to Chañaral, bc Chañaral still exits duh
>>
I remember when I was little I found a metal door on the ground in the woods. It was unlock so I opened it. I saw a ladder that led down i could see the bottom. I went back but don't remember where it was. If I ever find it I have to remember to gear up and post my findings. By gear up I mean I have the following: 1 headlamp, 1 respirator mask, 1 extra set of batteries, 1 glow stick, saftey glasses, pair of knee pads, steel-toe water-proof boots, 16 mega-pixel water-proof digital camera, 1 back up camera battery, padded gloves, aluminium bat (just in case.) What else should I add?
>>
File: 127532273.png (234KB, 423x423px) Image search: [Google]
127532273.png
234KB, 423x423px
>>18810654
A gun
>>
>>18810654
a gun with a caliber that kills the soul you dumb nut
>>
>>18810654
Did that around here once. Led into an old gypsum mine that had been used to store military equipment during the cold war. Nothing there now but IBC totes full of water and stuff. There were some huge maps, like 20'x10', the big wood ones you see in spy movies from the 70s, of the local area with water springs and whatnot. Pretty cool.
I must have tripped a silent alarm or something because when I came out there were a couple cops waiting next to my dirtbike. Just explained what I was doing and they let me go but it was still weird. This was pre-9/11 so they didn't confiscate my camera or anything, but I can't find the photos.
>>
>>18810654
More glow sticks. Rope. Any time I go a-tresspassing I bring ~30 yards of rope.
It literally saved my life one time.
>>
File: 2016-03-21 17.57.03.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-21 17.57.03.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>18810573
Downtown Chañaral, this part of the town got abandoned the high parts still exist.
>>
>>18810654
a partner
>>
I forgot to mention I am brining a buddy still need a pair of good walkie talkies. The rope thing is a good idea. I don't own a gun would love to get one and take a handling course at the local gun club but I can't afford it. I also should get more glow sticks. shoul I also bring some high vis spray to mark the way back me and my friend (he's right here have been wondering.) If that or just use chalk. Really haven't explored abandoned places. Any advice is appreciated.
>>
>>18810794
whoa, looks so sad
>>
>>18810948
I recommend spray if you've got the space. Make sure whatever you get isn't permanent, if possible. Chalk is too easy to brush off.
>>
>>18809415
Looks like some Fallout 4 type shit
>>
>>18810948
>>18811252

Just use a big stick of kids sidewalk chalk. It will stick just fine, and you won't look quite as delinquent if you get arrested.
>>
>>18809410
How come the music/lights are still on? Is it dangerous? This honestly looks like a haven I'd love to chill here with a friend and eat lunch, I'm getting those comfy goosebumps by looking at this picture
>>
File: 1490061702787.jpg (30KB, 357x384px) Image search: [Google]
1490061702787.jpg
30KB, 357x384px
>>18810557
Its stories like this that break my heart and make me tear up. Im imagining his mother still loves him dearly. People dream of children and they often get all ambitious, wondering what they turn out as, and then your child has severe issues, but you still love him.

You know he likely will never find a partner, or do anything of note, or in any way have normal relations. You know he likely will not ever thrive without your support. Instrad of the child supporting thr parent in old age, earlier parent child relationships still hold. Im sure there are fights, or grief, or regret, but there is still a selfless love there, like a burning flame that wont go out until death.
>>
File: prdn.jpg (41KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
prdn.jpg
41KB, 480x480px
>>18811252
You can bring spray if you are a pro.

>>18811421
Poetry.
>>
File: 1416463058967.jpg (28KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
1416463058967.jpg
28KB, 500x334px
>>18811421
Are you a dad by any chance? What's the feeling like of having a child? Is it honestly like a bolt of love hits you? I know it sounds edgy, but right now as a young man the thought of having a kid is unbearable partly because I'm worried I wont love the kid and see it as just a burden but I'll have to put up the facade of me pretending to be the proud and loving father to my friends and family
>>
Is there any abandoned, creepy shit worth looking at in Alaska, specifically Juneau?
I know the local Walmart closed down and is it worth checking out?
>>
>>18811439
Not that anon, but here's the truth:

My son is 17 months old now, and he's awesome, but when he was first born, I really resented him. I loved him, but I didn't like him. He sucked tits, shit, pissed, and screamed. I didn't want to be around him alone, because I was afraid of what might happen.

He was a colicky baby, which meant just screaming for hours on end. Looking back at it now, I couldn't have imagined doing anything to hurt him, but at the time, sleep deprived, a lot of shit goes through your mind. It's one of those things... I can't condone someone shaking their baby and hurting/killing them, but I can completely understand where someone would feel that's their only option to get them to stop crying. I'm an old guy, compared to most people on this Laotian watchmaker's enthusiast discussion board, and it was hard. Still is. I can't imagine if I'd had a kid in my 20's.

It does get better, but it's not this magical moment that everything changes and your heart is just full of love for this little creature. It took a good 5 or 6 months for me to really be able to stand being around him.

I think it's different for the women, since they actually carry them for 9 months before they're born. It was much easier for my wife to bond with him than it was for me.
>>
File: IMG_4997.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4997.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>18811409
The city still keeps it open for some reason, not sure! It's not really dangerous at all. It's kept clean and the mall security still patrols randomly. The most dangerous stuff is behind the counters of the food court. There's a bunch of nails and debris behind the counters, but the service doors are boarded up and the old kitchen equipment is gone. So it's pretty safe!
>>
>>18811583
>security walks around
holy fuck this is strange. Still I'm jealous as hell, my favorite hobby is going to the movie theaters at the mall on a weekday morning >because< it's nice and empty.
>>
>>18810336
Teaching hospital.
>>
>>18811593
There's a similar situation here. The mall is in perfectly good condition, it's just empty except for a big boy at one end.
Its probably just cheaper to have it patrolled and left open than it is to board it up and have to deal with idiots or knock it down.
>>
>>18809414
people that prefer to take their walks at the mall rather than outside for a variety of reasons (weather, pollen allergies, availability of bathrooms, etc.)
>>
File: IMG_5003.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5003.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
OP here, from another location other than the mall.

I wanted to post another picture of the abandoned mall, from the opposite side of the food court.

The strangest thing about this mall is the green light. I didn't use filters for the images, the food court is just green.
>>
>>18811593
I used to do this too back when I went to movies more. I'd hit up the matinees because the tickets were cheap and the theater was damn near empty.

anyway, to keep it on topic: I don't have pics, but my favourite abandoned place used to be an apartment next door to mine in this old brownstone in a small town. it was across the landing from my place, and it had a hasp for a padlock but wasn't locked, and the door wouldn't shut. so I would go in there and explore sometimes because nobody was ever around. was pretty neat actually, the place was built around the 1890s and it didn't look like it'd been remodeled since at least the 40s or 50s.

I did take some pics on a disposable camera because I didn't have a digital (this was in early 2000s), but unfortunately I just never got round to developing them. I don't think I have the camera anymore, and if I did, the film's probably long spoiled. oh well.
>>
>>18811639
Theres a mall near where I live that is pretty much abandoned. Like 80% of it is unused, but the county government re-purposed a few of the shops into office space. The movie theater is still open too, but only opens at night. Other than that, there are a lot of boarded up or gated shop faces. One of the more interesting ones is an abandoned arcade. It's gated off but you can see all of the old machines sitting around inside collecting dust.
>>
>>18811734
>not that anon but
we have a couple malls like that. one actually has a lot of occupied spaces, but most of those are offices for state legislators and various agencies, so it has a very empty feel to it. the other one has been mostly empty for years but still has a few stores and some medical offices and shit.
>>
>>18810766
>This was pre-9/11
How old are you now, anon?
>>
>>18810774
>It literally saved my life one time.
Can you greentext that for us?
>>
File: Down_Syndrome_child.jpg (17KB, 233x285px) Image search: [Google]
Down_Syndrome_child.jpg
17KB, 233x285px
>>18809418
>>
>>18811759
The city I live in, aside from being pocked with old gypsum tunnels, had a very sophisticated utility system for the time.
So, now there's a big mostly unused municipal steam system that runs between most of the older buildings and in some cases opens out into the basement/access hallways of the older buildings.
In the summer when the river is low, you can access the tunnels through a big overflow gate. They look kind of like a bank vault door, but they're always open because of flooding.
I was in one I hadn't explored yet, taking photos and drawing a map, and the metal grating I was walking on collapsed into a pit with defunct machinery in it. My buddy was too far away to hear me because I'm stupid. I was able to find a piece of loose pipe on a machine, tie it onto my rope, and sling it up to catch onto where I had fallen from. I bent the metal walkway down just far enough that I could grab it and climb back up.
The reason I say it saved my life is that my buddy wouldn't have found me and I only had a couple clif bars in my pack. Taught me to respect the buddy system, that's for sure.
>>18811755
Too old to be posting on a manchurian cave painting BBS at 4am, that's for sure.
I have kids and a mortgage.
>>
File: clemm.jpg (17KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
clemm.jpg
17KB, 400x225px
>>18811886
I said 'that's for sure' twice. Damnit.
>>
>>18811708
Maybe some weird vampire(not really but something weird) hang out or a place for mentally ill people to take trips to instead of real public places!
>>
>>18811734
Wtf people want those arcade machines. Try to get some gov official to at least sell them to collectors.
>>
>>18811767
Down syndrome people give me the creeps, like its an innate feeling that their not right and not human. I know that sounds fucked up, but damn they all weird and nothing about them says human.
>>
>>18811922
That's your lizard brain helping you avoid the ill.
>>
>>18811565
No one listen to this boy. He should kill himself for his son's sake.
>>
>>18811916
Yeah I was thinking about looking into who to contact about those. I'm guessing the arcade is still owned by a private party and they're just using it as storage.
>>
>>18811928
Why? Its not contagious. Why shouldnt they just die? Do they really need to live? They are usually herderd like chattel and often get violently angry over very trivial shit. Its not like they can offer anything or do anything like autism. Why did evolution keep this genetic mutation, it wouldnt. Especially with how common it is. There is literally no reason for that shit. Where did it come from? Its not historically present. Whats the genetic mutation that gave rise to it? When did it start? And why if it doesnt have any relevant source do random people have down syndromed offspring?
>>
>>18810671
Ignore. Do NOT Urbex with a gun if their is ANY possibility that you're trespassing. If you get caught, it INSTANTLY becomes a felony. Not worth it. I'd bring a 10-pound breaching hammer, or a halligan bar. They can be explained away as tools for opening doors or moving obstacles/debris. If you KNOW you're not trespassing, by all means feel free.
>>
>>18812039
>Do NOT Urbex with a gun

Solid advice
>>
>>18812027
It's not a mutation in the genetic code, per se. It's just an extra chromosome with no business being there. A holdover. Probably unavoidable, though I'm no geneticist. I honestly think that those individuals with a disease like Downs, an incurable and debilitating condition that affords those afflicted no hope of leading a normal, fulfilling life, should be put down as soon as it is discovered that they have such a disease. It would spare that person unnecessary suffering, and spare society the burden of accomodating and caring for that person. But that's just me.
>>
File: -.jpg (22KB, 249x235px) Image search: [Google]
-.jpg
22KB, 249x235px
>>18809410
>wander through the abandoned mall
GOOD LUCK AT NOT GETTING ASS FUCKED BY A BUNCH OF BUMS
>there is still music on the speakers
IS THAT HARD TO SAY SOMETHING CREDIBLE?
FUCK OFF NOW
>>
File: 016.jpg (71KB, 750x562px) Image search: [Google]
016.jpg
71KB, 750x562px
>>
There used to be an abandoned factory next to the house where I grew up. My friends would go in there a lot. Sometimes we'd go on the roof and throw shingles at each other. It was a big building. Still had some of the machinery in it. The weird thing about it was that there was an apartment at the end of the building with a kitchen, etc. I always wondered who had lived there? Owner of the company, some random dude, who knows. The really strange thing was it burned down suddenly. And my friends and I saw the beginning of the fire. We were walking by the apartment part and smelled smoke. We looked inside and saw a small amount of flames in a corner of the apartment. We ran away and pretty soon you could see a column of smoke from my backyard. Someone called the fire department them and they let it burn down. This was so close to my house that my dad had to go on our roof with a hose to make sure the sparks didn't catch the roof on fire. We must have just missed whoever started the blaze. I don't know why someone would have done it.
>>
>>18812174
Probably just an arsonist or a teenager looking to have some fun, but it still sounds kinda scary, anyway
>>
>>18811886
What city would that be?
>>
always bring rope and lights with you folks. a whistle is good too.
>>
>>18811583
>>18809410
That is so fucking comfy OP. I would unironically camp out there every now and then.
Jelly as fuck, hope you enjoy the shit out of it
>>
Wait does this mall have any stores left open like an anchor store?

For some reason reminds me of the mall in deadrising at night.
>>
File: IMG_9962.jpg (11KB, 125x94px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9962.jpg
11KB, 125x94px
They don't always last. Sometimes the best ones get refurbished, or demolished.
>>
File: IMG_9953.gif (2MB, 500x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9953.gif
2MB, 500x800px
I remember one in Hamden/New Haven, CT that was generally thought of as a known sight for cults. Was a favorite of friends for exploring. On a hilltop. Scary looking place when it was dilapidated. People found all kinds of symbols/sigils and areas marked off. It was later totally refurbished and is now a historical sight.
>>
No pics but have gone to 2 abandoned locations(i know not many)
Going to an abandoned hospital what should i bring?
>>
>>18812027
It's a chromosomal aberration. It does t require external influence to happen, it just does. The only reason it's so prevalent in the last 20 years is we've gotten much better at diagnosing it. Same with cancer.
They make you uncomfortable because they're 'Not Right,' same as a lot of people are about anorexics, the obese, and amputees. It's not your upper brain doing the thinking, it's your base instincts keeping you away from things that could be bad.
I'm not going to argue about eugenics, because that never goes anywhere.
>>18812114
Read the rest of the thread you fucking shitter.
>>
File: devilstower1.jpg (70KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
devilstower1.jpg
70KB, 540x960px
>>18812978
This is what I usually take exploring:
>Waterproof headlamp and extra battery
>Glow sticks
>Pocket knife
>Leather gloves
>Long pants
>Sturdy grippy shoes that I can run at least 2 miles in. Usually that means jungle boots.
>Something to snap pics with, usually my phone unless it's flooded then I use a waterproof camera.
I often bring a gas mask for asbestos and mold.
If I'm going in mines or other tunnels I take a spare headlamp.
I usually have a 100ft static line with some webbing and carabineers in my truck, but if I'm planning on doing some climbing or descending I bring more climbing shit.
If I'm going in mines or otherwise Inna woods where there may be bears and shit I'll take my Glock, but it's almost certainly overkill and I've never had to use it.

For a hospital, just make sure you have good shoes and a reliable light source. Wear long pants that will protect you from cutting your shins on rubble. You don't want to get some nasty infection. Work gloves are good for this reason as well.
>>
>>18812122
Please elaborate.
>>
>>18813294
For most folks it's overkill, but speaking of shins, I wear shinguards because I'm usually doing a lot of scrabbling across rusty shit.
>>
>>18813294
The mask you have is most likely gonna do almost nothing for asbestos. You need a literal air tight mask for that with a filter that has really smal pores.
>>
File: devilstower3.jpg (144KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
devilstower3.jpg
144KB, 1080x1920px
>>18813356
I actually have a variety of masks, ranging from half-face respirators with p100 filters (industry standard for asbestos removal) to military full-faced NBC masks with multi-gas filters and p100 pre-filters. And of course I field check my seal before entry.
So yeah, actually my mask should be better than nothing.
>>
>>18813431
Oh, that is pretty good. Most people just pick up the cheap masks.
>>
>>18813445
Yeah, a painters mask won't really help much for asbestos. But you can buy the proper equipment fairly inexpensively if you know what you are looking for.
>>
>>18810336
>Probably lots of ghosts in that place if you believe in them.
And only if you believe in them. If not, you won't have a problem
>>
>>18815219
I'm more worried about.

>The homeless
>Drug dealers using the place as a drop (Ask Dan Bell.)
>Those pesky elevator shafts that are frightfully easy to fall down.
>>
>>18812027
>Why? Its not contagious
The lizard brain isn't rational. It works on a template of what a human being 'should' look like, based on data available to it (both genetic and learning).

We don't just kill them because most people don't like murder, and in modern society they can have healthy, enjoyable lives. Personally, I'm not of the opinion that 'this person isn't useful to me/society' is good enough reason to kill someone.

Otherwise, 90% of this website would be dead lol. I'd argue that one of the main missions of civilisation is creating a world where people's lives aren't simply dictated by circumstance. I wouldn't be upset by geneticists in the future removing the potential for Down's syndrome though.
>>
>>18813194
>The only reason it's so prevalent in the last 20 years is we've gotten much better at diagnosing it

Tangential, but do you think it's the same with autism, too? Obviously autism is a fairly recent term so there's likely people throughout history who could have been termed 'autistic' but I do think that children having decreased face-to-face peer socialization time might be leading to more of them developing socialization problems. You know, kids being raised by screens, basically.
>>
>>18809410
I've always found abandoned/empty malls to be comfy.
>>
>>18815308
Having known quite a few people on the spectrum, I think it's a little of both.
I think a lot of folks that are thought to have aspergers are just socially retarded.
>>
>>18811565
I've heard similar things from many parents. Parenting is HARD, especially babies and toddlers. They take over your life. If you had a full life and lots of stuff you enjoyed doing, you have to give all of it up for a while, a long while even, years. They're expensive too, so on that literal level everything has to be reprioritized. It's normal to feel resentful, no matter how much you adore your kid.

And some people are more "baby people" than others. Some people have more of that natural hormone which makes you bond with your kids--in other words. That hormone which makes it easier to ignore the shitting, barfing, screaming, general neediness, whining, fussiness etc. Oh and the sleep deprivation for the first year. Sleep deprivation can literally make you hallucinate. It's rough.

And for the woman, yeah sometimes the bonding is easier and/or more thorough, but the experience is harder in other ways. You never really get your old body back, and you can have permanent health issues from childbearing. You can't do anything for yourself for a long time either. It's like the kid holds you captive. Your life isn't your own anymore.

And even before it's born, it sucks the life out of you and makes you feel like you've been pushed out of your own body so this thing could take it over and get what it wants instead of what you want. It's a weird sensation and I've known a lot of moms who mentioned feeling like they had an alien parasite in there. The hormones though, they help keep you sane and loving your baby and bonding with it.

I do think that some men and women don't produce enough of those hormones. It's harder for them but most manage. All this crap is worth it though for the later years when your kid is a real person that you can have a great relationship with, not just a cute but annoying little shitting and puke machine. ;-) Just be realistic about the whole thing, don't expect it to be perfect, and prepare. It's worth it.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.