[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who is the modern day Terrence Mckenna?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

File: tk.jpg (6KB, 269x187px) Image search: [Google]
tk.jpg
6KB, 269x187px
Who is the modern day Terrence Mckenna?
>>
>>18805523

Ask ur dad faget
>>
>>18805523
I dunno, any shrill voiced druggie will do.
>>
File: AE-2-2-507x330.jpg (64KB, 507x330px) Image search: [Google]
AE-2-2-507x330.jpg
64KB, 507x330px
Terrance was a product of his time, there is much more out there to find than his clone. Also, now that I have done more acid than him, I stopped caring for his philosophical crap. He was an astonishing ethnobotanist and should be respected for that, and his bravery at times, but FFS he fell for the tropes of the times as much as anyone else, and his concepts of ego are bullshit.
>>
>>18805578
>ITT: doing acid=knowledge and experience!
>>
>>18805600
>has no idea wtf this hread is about
Do you even know who terrence McKenna was?
>>
>>18805523
Idk, someone with a mental illness who takes a lot of psychedelics and talks jibberish
>>
>>18805523
Joe Rogen

I kid. There is none :(
>>
File: IMG_3109.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3109.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I want to take the opportunity to make fun of anyone who thinks taking acid regularly is enlightenment. It can show you a lot about yourself, but if you rely on it (aka take it more than twice a year) you're just as bad as people absorbed in media. Ok maybe not as bad but the same kind of bad.
Alan watts commented on psychedelic drugs once: (paraphrasing) "Treat it like a microscope. You look down and find great information, but you don't stay glued to the lense".

This is how I think psychedelics should be used and if they are ever normalized they should be introduced in such a way. NOT for recreational use, and NOT to be abused.
>>
>>18805600
>>18805542
And here we see an example of an average /x/tard.
This time he has exposed himsef very very hard for has obviously no understanding whatsoever about something that can be proven by precisely 3 clicks.

>being actualy this stupid
I don't believe it.
Maybe you are here to troll.

That is the message. The average /x/tard.

Stay clear of stupidity folks.
>>
>>18805654
>>18805671

I posted that one just now.
What a "coincidence".
Spoopy.
>>
>>18805600
I think he means something along the lines of 5 dried grams in silent darkness maybe?
>>
>>18805621
Yes, I do, and I'm not sure how you taking more acid than him qualifies you to discredit his theories on the ego? Enlighten me, Oh wise one.
>>
>>18805697
Unless, that is, you are equating your mind with his. In which case I can clearly see where you are coming from.
>>
>>18805697
You need to do more acid
>>
>>18805729
No, no I don't. I'm all acid-ed out for this year.
>>
>>18805705
>>18805729
People need to stop being such Mckenna fanboys.
>>
>>18805735
Obviously >>18805705 flew over your head as it relates to >>18805697
>>
>>18805523
Just like Freud, you gotta take Terrence with a grain of salt. No one really I can think of. We're post modern all this counter culture shit now.

So any spokesperson really will just be regurgitating Leary or Mckenna, and might put a bit of their own spin on it.

Imo, he never really experienced ego death, and became fascinated with machine elves. He was never able to fully let go.
>>
>>18805743
It did. Sorry about that.
>>
>>18805746
And now that you show humility, I apologize for being such a dick about it!
>>
File: 9a6.jpg (22KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
9a6.jpg
22KB, 398x500px
>>18805753
>>
This is the first time I've ever seen two humans treat each other like two humans on this board. I'm shocked.
>>
>>18805770
You'll see it from time to time, but it's rare, indeed.
>>
>>18805671
Totally agree, I discovered my own truth on one mushie trip. And cut down my use drastically after that.

I used to trip almost every other weekend.

Now its only like once or twice every two months, and its just mescaline now. I find it rather therapeutic for me.

Its been more helpful than my 2 yrs of therapy easily. But its not for everyone, I've given my dad mushies and mesc a few times. He finds it interesting and weird(that's all he ever really gets out of it)
>>
It was fucking beautiful.
>>
File: 1476558980344.gif (709KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1476558980344.gif
709KB, 500x375px
>>18805671
>>18805773
Can you guys help me understand what you learn from your trips?

I've done shrooms, acid, and DXM. They were cool and fun but they didn't teach me anything. It was just an interesting few hours of seeing stuff and music sounding weird.

Of course it gave me a different head space and made me feel weird, but it didn't make me learn anything that I didn't already know. It gave me thoughts like how language is meaningless, society's rules and expectations are arbitrary, consciousness is an illusion, we're all just particles floating in a sea of particles, etc. But I already knew all that anyway.
>>
>>18805831

In my experience, those thoughts are part of what you take. Not those thoughts specifically, but the thoughts that follow the theme of "I understand how it all works". You should write those down or remember them or something while you're tripping if you're trying to learn (if having fun then go with it).

How you take from it is applying that knowledge to the world, starting with you. Using your new perspective to see how the cogs in your life turn. Some may turn great, some may be rusty, some may be broken. Then do your best to do maintenance on your cogs. This may be acknowledging your wrong, ending a relationship, taking a first step (faggy things like that, which although faggy, are true).

This maintenance is how some people use psychedelics to overcome depression. When they get a new perspective on it, it becomes more obvious how to fix it.

At least that's how I go about it. If you want to really be prepared, there needs to be a lot of prep-work. You need to be in a sound state of mind (I.e not suicidal) and in a good mood. There shouldn't be too much bogging your mind (if you can help it). They day of your trip, exercise do a lot of meditation. Think about everything that may be bothering you, make note of it maybe, and then flush it out. Clear it all and become the gross human you are. This is why you need to get a trip sitter who you can trust, or ideally love. Otherwise trip alone if you have the experience. Additionally, be in a comfortable place where you have no worries about anything happening or someone showing up; somewhere you could be naked.
With your empty mind and comfy setting, you are ready to trip. Your pen and paper/paint and canvas/anything you can express yourself with are important, because what you will feel will be important. Also, recording yourself is good because all you have to do is trip out loud.
>>
>>18805523
Terrence Mckenna. it hasn't been that long.
>>
>>18806490
You seem to have experience with psychedelics, and I've been doing a lot of research myself, but I always like to get some personal advice whenever it comes to topics I'm not super experienced in. This question is open to anyone btw.

I'm going on a trip (literally and figuratively) with 2 very close childhood friends later in June. I've done acid once before, and had a pretty mixed, but overall good time. One of my friends has done mushrooms once before, and the other has no experience with psychedelics beyond weed. We're all going up into the Adirondacks and camping out. We'll be going up mountain trails and hiking along lakes and nature things like that. Now, we've all been on vacation in the Adirondacks before, but we're not going to a specifically familiar location beyond a few mountains we've been up before.

We'll all be doing acid while we are there. Is this a good idea? We'll all be going one at a time, with the other two tripsitting. We all heavily trust each other, so I'm not worried about that aspect. But we might be around other people for short periods of time, and it's their first time doing acid. I'm a little worried that they might become overly paranoid but I feel like the experience of a mountaintop view on acid is too good to pass up. I've taken all the precautions I can but I want a more experienced perspective on something like this.
>>
>>18805523
>Terrence

>>18805578
>Terrance

>>18805745
> Terrence

Before enlightenment learn to correct type names.
>>
File: 325.jpg (21KB, 303x303px) Image search: [Google]
325.jpg
21KB, 303x303px
>>18806987
>learn to correct type
You vucked up.
>>
>>18805523
www.dmtnexus.com

Go to a forum, take your pick!
>>
>>18805600
>implying it isn't
knowledge and experience are one and the same; doing a drug is, necessarily, experience. It all is.

What matters isn't that, it's if you get anything useful out of that experience.
>>
File: CGwbW9VVAAA9I6a.jpg (51KB, 600x322px) Image search: [Google]
CGwbW9VVAAA9I6a.jpg
51KB, 600x322px
>>18805523

[] Find the others.

Here we are.

[] Make memes

Done and done

[ ] No Guru, No Method, No Teacher

Ooops, so close. You're almost there.
Who was supposed to be the next Terence? We are. All of us. That was the idea. Make your own roadshow. :it's happening:
>>
>>18806957
>>18806957
>one at a time
That sounds horrible. All you'll accomplish is making the high person seem crazy.
>>
>>18806987
I love weaponized autism
>>
>>18805697
McKenna was a drug guru, you get to that position by being able to handle the most drugs.
>I did more acid than him and could still chitchat with the public
I surpassed him in acidland xD
>ego
He fell for the same trap as everyone else who starts out fake and experiences "ego death" when in reality, they never developed their ego in the first place, and merely experienced the death of false self-image. Lies, especially lies about the self, are often destroyed while on psychedelics and hallucinogens. If your entire concept of self is proven to be false, it is an easy mistake to make.
>inb4 YOU NEVER LISTENED TO HIM
I have heard almost every lecture the man made, read a good chunk of his magic mushroom growers guide, and even listened to the old art bell interviews. The man has done respectable work, but that does not make him infallible or give him any more defence against the common pitfalls of the psychedelic experience, nor did it shield him from the ideologies of his time and environments.
>>
YOU
Captcha: select all mountains
>>
>>18805523
Me?
>>
>>18809447
If you don't mind explaining, what are the signs of ego death as opposed to false ego death?
>>
>>18809587
Not that anon, but listen to McKenna explain his experiences with psychedelics. He constantly references 'I'; 'I saw this, I felt that'.

The concept of 'I' is one of those things that just doesn't exist under ego death. You're completely suppressing your conscious memory formation, so all that exists at that exact moment is all that has ever existed and all that ever will exist.
>>
>>18809616
That makes sense, thanks anon
>>
>>18809447
I thought you got to that position by being able to understand the drugs you take, what they are doing to you/acting on, understand how different dosages produce different effects and what those effects are, understand yourself while under the influence, and be able to then convey that to others...etc. I mean, if it's about quantity, you could call Hunter Thompson a drug guru, though I think many or most (including himself, were he alive) would argue against that assertion.
>>
>>18805831
You can experience those same things with meditation minus all the rad visuals frying your brains. Next thing you know you'll wax mad philosophical to your friends and they'll ironically think you're on acid.
>>
>>18805831
>Can you guys help me understand what you learn from your trips?
The only thing that matters are friends and family.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.