[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /x/, redpoll me on this symbol? Found in a Catholic romanic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: 20170319_155346.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170319_155346.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Hey, /x/, redpoll me on this symbol? Found in a Catholic romanic cathedral in central Italy... Looks like the cross on mt. Gulguta, by the arms so not add up, they're centered as opposed to being on top...
>>
>>18792680

It's actually a fish that is marking the entrance to an area where some of the first Christians would congregate.

Remember, the first Christians were considered a cult and were sought out for persecution and ridicule.

So much so, that they litterally had to create an 'underground' where they could meet in secret, a lot of government would not allow them to gather in public.

The fish was used as a symbol to signal to other Christians that it was a religious gathering place for them. It comes from the bible saying of being "fishers of men"
>>
looks like a person. Someone probably got bored in between gregorian chants and decided to doodle a stick man, a lil "Emilio was here" sort of thing
>>
>>18792690

The picture should be rotated 90deg CW... Retarded phone...
>>
>>18792706
still pretty sure it's a fish.
It's a very important sign in Christianity.

It was even more prominent and important to the earliest Christians, even more important than the cross.
>>
>>18792690
I bet you are exactly right anon
>>
The bottom part looks like a hemi circle, the cross part is simmetrical, could be a fish, could be a planetary symbol, could be cross on a mount... Fish is a good explanation but...
>>
Also, this is the town where they arrested and executed Cagliostro...
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.