[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Observer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (221KB, 770x770px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
221KB, 770x770px
With today's breakthroughs and science, we, as a species, are learning more and more about our universe. Despite that fact, we probably know less than 5% of what there is to know about the cosmos. There is one constant, though, a relatively recentl discovery by physicists thanks to the advent of string theory, subatomic particles and the LHC or Large Hadron Collider. Now, having said that, everyone knows about Schroedinger's cat and how its fate depends upon the observer. With the advent of quantum theory, subatomic oarticles are subject to the whims of an observer. As all the maths of all the theories come to existence or fruition, our reality is dependent upon an observer, the one constant that keeps popping up. The out torus-shaped universe supposedly came on to existence randomly but as the theory of quantum mechanics suggests, there lies a question in that: Who was the observer to the creation of the universe? I am not one to preach nor proselytize any type of theological subject but it really does make me wonder about this omnipresent thing watching everything I do - is it good, evil, what is the endgame here? If we are ever able to solve more and more about the universe and we figure out what's really going on, are we going to ultimately find the existence of God, some other entity, or even worse? This may well put a damper in the idea of atheism and such as it may even forth a possibility of our eternal damnation.
>>
>>18785403
Who wrote the laws of the universe?
Who supplied the energy?

Is it just torus after torus after torus?
What is the torus embedded in?
To which design?

Is it just stable universe after stable universe? Is existence designed to want to multiply, an instinct passed down to humans?

Is the universe itself a consciousness?
Is it the universe itself that is always watching?
Who else watches within the universe, apart from what we classify as "the living" and "here"?

Part of a larger system?
Or the whole system onto itself?
>>
I hope our species survives long enough to answer some of these questions
>>
>>18785449
Use that thing on your shoulders sometimes. If you can't contribute, just lurk.
>>
>>18785454
What's upsetting you? Lack of tulpa?
>>
>>18785403
You're misusing the term Observer. It means any interaction that collapses the waveform, it doesn't have to be viewed by a human at the end of it. An example would be a photon striking a molecule in our upper atmosphere, and rebounding off into space never to be seen again. The waveform of that molecule collapsed to a single particle state for that interaction.

Schrodinger's Cat is just a philosophy experiment, and not a particularly good one at that. Too much misunderstanding of it's purpose.

Universe isn't torus shaped, as far as we can tell it's flat. Precision needs to improve on that measurement but the density parameter is damn close to 1 regardless.

Your other post has a large number of questions, but I think the easiest way to answer them is to simply say:
Physics as we know them did not exist prior to this universe. The universe didn't expand into an empty room, it IS the empty room. There is no way that we know of currently to measure outside of the universe, and there likely never will be.

Also fuck string theory, fucking untestable garbage. I don't even care if it's wrong or right, fuck theories that are untestable.
>>
if observation and awareness exert such profound influence over reality as suggested, it would make sense for a number of existing structures to foster confusion, unawareness and falsehood in order to preserve their own existence
>>
File: 1489616495691.png (564KB, 643x479px) Image search: [Google]
1489616495691.png
564KB, 643x479px
>>18785585
>the particle turns back into a waveform once it leaves the earths atmosphere

why hello there philosophy, what are you doing underneath my science?
>>
>>18785454
kys armchair phd
>>
>>18785424
>we are the universe watching the universe
>>
>>18785602
I never said that, I said for the duration of the interaction the waveform of the molecule collapses.
>>
>>18785609
Why are you still upset?
>>
>>18785403
dont be a tard OP. the observer requirement is just old debug code. legacy code from a old alpha build in the kickstarter project that is our universe

we got space pouring out of space at every point and gravitys effect on a object on the surface of the earth isnt constant depending on where on the surface of the earth it is

open your damn eyes. git gud FGT. why do you think the political left has gone crazy? history is written by the winners. this simulation is based on history or at least a future 3rd grade understanding of histories highlight real
>>
>>18785585
I am well aware of Schrodinger's Cat is a thought experiments but it explains a rudiment of quantum mechanics in that the interaction of subatomic particles are in a superstate in which they can occupy several spaces at once. As far as the universe being shaped like a doughnut, see http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080523/full/news.2008.854.html

Also, the string theory is mathimatically possible and is a precursor to the M theory, your opinion notwithstanding.
>>
File: 1472180183552.jpg (111KB, 404x462px) Image search: [Google]
1472180183552.jpg
111KB, 404x462px
>>18786830
>Steiner believes that new and more precise measurements of the cosmic microwave background to be made by Europe's Planck satellite, which is due to be launched later this year, will help answer the question.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1303.5086.pdf
Planck found no evidence indicative of a 3-torus.

Additionally, your article reads like an opinion piece. It's just astronomers who have their personal model for the universe, that then don't get verified by data.
>>
>>18786870
Thanks for that.That article I posted was easier to digest than the one from NASA: https://wmap.gsfc.nasa.gov/
>>
>>18786895
nothing about a torus there senpai
>>
>>18786901
Sorry about that it's here albeit still theoretical: https://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/bb_concepts.html
>>
File: 1469982859342.jpg (152KB, 1585x1527px) Image search: [Google]
1469982859342.jpg
152KB, 1585x1527px
>>18786918
>It is possible that the universe has a more complicated global topology than that which is portrayed here, while still having the same local curvature. For example it could have the shape of a torus (doughnut). There may be some ways to test this idea, but most of the following discussion is unaffected.
>For example it could have the shape of a torus (doughnut).

thats it?

dude do you even read these before you post?
>>
>>18785659

>Implying a kikestarter project would ever become as complex as our universe

A true KS universe is one in which the nigger who made it took the money and ran while creating nothing.
>>
>>18786929
There's more and with greater detail but I'm lazy.
>>
>>18786929
if its a donut then whats inside the middle
>>
File: greg egan quarantine.jpg (23KB, 243x400px) Image search: [Google]
greg egan quarantine.jpg
23KB, 243x400px
>>18785585
>You're misusing the term Observer.
First, THANK YOU.

>Schrodinger's Cat is just a philosophy experiment, and not a particularly good one at that.
Schrodinger came up with the hypothetical precisely to show that waveforms in QM were WRONG and led to nonsense. The fact that waveforms seem to be an accurate model and that Schrodinger was wrong is often forgotten.

>Universe isn't torus shaped, as far as we can tell it's flat.
Space is flat. Spacetime is curved.

>Physics as we know them did not exist prior to this universe.
This is the chicken and egg argument used by those not accepting the current consensus within cosmology. If physics did not exist prior to the universe, then using physics to model how the Big Bang started is nonsense.

>>18785588
Imagine if there are forms of life that DON'T collapse the waveform. Imagine aliens living in multiple possible realities.

Now imagine these ailens come into contact with us, and we collapse the waveform into a single reality. To these aliens, we've just killed MOST of their known universe. Simply by existing and observing.

This is the premise of the book Quarantine by Greg Egan. I highly recommend it.

>>18786929
>thats it?
You want more than "a toroidal topology would match our data just fine?"
>>
>>18787205
it just refers to whether the universe is finite or infinite, and what the exact topology there is if it is finite, which affects repetition. It's useful to note here that if the universe is finite, that doesn't mean there is an edge.

There wouldn't be a center, and it's also not a 2-torus like how you're thinking, but proposed to be a 3-torus.

We already can measure that the curvature is verrrry close to 1, or to put it simpler, that geometry is close to euclidean, but that doesn't invalidate finite topology. Though positive curvature would require finite topology, while flat or negative curvature would require complex topology to be finite.

>>18787257
Nope, spacetime is locally curved sure, but overall is flat as far as we can tell.

Modeling how it started is nonsense currently, modeling what happened after isn't.

>You want more than "a toroidal topology would match our data just fine?"
read >>18786870

Also, I wouldn't go recommending that book around, it'll just confuse people. It's like that terrible movie.
>>
>>18785629
this is the right answer. god fractured itself into inumerable pieces across the universe in order to observe its creation.
Since god is energy and light it must imbue itself into organisms with sensory organs capable of observation, emotion, and self consciousness. One day it will all return to itself. Just don't expect that to happen anytime soon; there's still aeons of time yet to come.
>>
>>18787374
>Nope, spacetime is locally curved sure, but overall is flat as far as we can tell.
Spacetime is curved. If it weren't Expansion wouldn't occur, which we observe everywhere. The Expansion of the Universe IS the curve of spacetime.

I read the paper you linked. It is not saying what you think it is. And the book is fine. Just because it confused you doesn't mean others won't like it.
>>
>>18787445
>If it weren't Expansion wouldn't occur, which we observe everywhere
only in outdated models

I wasn't confused by the book, just popularizing "consciousness causes collapse" is not a good idea, especially as a key plotpoint is deliberately inducing specific outcomes. People will get terrible notions in their head. Even the writer acknowledges that he chose that simply to produce a better story.
>>
>>18787454
>only in outdated models
lol
Done with you now.
>>
I had a dream recently that went a little something like this
>be me sitting at Ocean by house
>man walks up to me from my right
>sits down next to me
>I look at him and my mind starts screaming the word understand
>he looks at me and asks if I want to know
>I say yes and touches my forehead above my nose
Next thing I know he was balls deep
>jk
>he took me to a place in the universe where I could see everything, like literally all things
> as I looked out he told me how he and his kind had a perfect universe where they never died, never reproduced, it simply was them forever.
>one day some fuck wad broke it and the resulting explosion created everything
>everything that exists is a decaying piece of this universe
>life itself was created from decaying matter
>I asked him how csn matter decay
>told me Oh yeah time is what causes matter to decay
>time didn't exist in his reality
>time behaves like radiation in suuuper simplified way, altering and creating and decaying
>entropy shit
I am not a scientist or a genius who understands the science. I am a criminal justice major with a weird dream for the record.
>in summary time is physical and impacts our world in a tangible way.
>showed me physical time and it aged my hand, he fixed it though
>told me remember these things, time is physical, you can become immune to its effects, and also an image of the universe
>still clearly remember image
Spoojy
>>
>>18787469
I wasn't disputing
>which we observe everywhere
I was disputing
>if it weren't Expansion wouldn't occur

theres a reason DE exists
>>
>>18785585
>it doesn't have to be viewed by a human at the end of it
A common misunderstanding that isn't true. The double slit experiment shows that it's not interaction that collapses the waveform, it's the act of knowing which slit the particle went through. They performed the experiment with the detector active, but without a connection that allowed it to record data. An interference pattern emerged. It is not until you record the data that shows which electron went through which slit that you see them act as particles. This shows that interaction is irrelevant. What matters is knowledge, and that is what causes the change in behavior.
>>
>>18787980
Show me a paper
>>
>>18787257
thanks for the book recommendation, much appreciated!
>>
>>18788035
https://youtu.be/LW6Mq352f0E?t=2m39s
>>
>>18788114
Nigger did I say show me a shitty youtube video

Show me the peer reviewed paper that backs up your claim.
>>
Ones and zeroes that I observe!
>>
>>18787606
That's profoundly amazing, anon. I want to believe.

> time is physical, you can become immune to its effects

I assume he meant through death and abandoning the physical body, right?
>>
>>18788490
No I mean actually time is as physical as you an me, but the resulting explosion dispersed time into everything. In the dream it was tangible, which he told me explained aging and death. But death wasn't the end because he was saying "you" are still "you" no matter what you are as we always have been, time is the radiation that mutates the universe in a way.
>>
>>18785403
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep0GX7TiWa8
>>
Obviously, God is the observer of the Universe
>>
>>18789127
Interesting. Although I have no idea how, if time is indeed tangible, that one could become immune to its effects, it definitely would redefine how we think about things like time travel, at least.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.