[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happens if you don't sleep for a week? Do you hallucinate?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 10

File: 27.png (224KB, 480x368px) Image search: [Google]
27.png
224KB, 480x368px
What happens if you don't sleep for a week?
Do you hallucinate? Do you see spirits or ghosts?
>>
>>18782633
Permanent brain damage or death.
Hallucinations will happen and you wont be able to tell whats real and whats not.

Not sure how long a person can go without sleep, but i heard they wont make it a week. Most ive stayed awake was about 2 whole days.
>>
Going an entire week with no sleep can kill you. I went 3 nights in a row once with no sleep. On the third day I started having minor hallucinations. Stuff like constantly seeing movement in the corner of my eyes. The worst incident was when I looked at someone and for a couple seconds it looked like their face was melting.

That said, I don't think any of it was paranormal. I wasn't seeing ghosts and shit, my brain was just fucked up.
>>
>using amphetamines
Fatigue
Listlessness
Paranoia
Intrusive visual and auditory hallucinations
Waking dreams
Impulsive behavior
Delayed response
Over-calculation of physical and social interactions
Overconfidence
Episodes of recursive thinking
Introversion
Decline of physical appearance

It's literally psychosis. 2/10 would not recommend
>>
>>18782633
u die
>>
I don't recommend it sober or not sober. I did 2 almost 3 days sober and on the 3rd morning we were so
out of it. It was not a good out of it either. Almost got hit by a car and a bunch of other nonsense.
>>
The Buddha did it while he meditated under that tree for seven days.
>>
>>18782648
>>18782651
People have literally bicycled for longer than a week straight. People don't die from something as simple of seven days of no sleep. I used to have running buddies into meth that would be up for a week, and meth certainly wasn't what was keeping them alive. In fact it exacerbates the negative effects of sleep deprivation. To a scary degree.

>>18782855
Deep meditation can be likened to sleep in a way. They're certainly not the same, but awake/asleep is a wide spectrum.
>>
I've done full weeks before with no eating or sleeping while taking bath salts when I was younger it's pretty brutal on your body and mind.
Audio hallucinations
shadow people
panic attacks
Suicidal thoughts
Numb limbs and tingling sensation that feel like your gonna stroke
Lightheadedness
Weakness
Heart problems

I'm aware most of my problems were drug related you try staying up for a week without stimulants also the years me and my brother did this frequently felt like they wear really long I guess it's the whole never sleeping part
>>
>>18783189
T. Didn't read thread before posting
>>
>Randy Gardner holds the scientifically documented record for the longest period of time a human being has intentionally gone without sleep not using stimulants of any kind. Gardner stayed awake for 264 hours (11 days), breaking the previous record of 260 hours held by Tom Rounds of Honolulu.
>>
>>18782633
I had a period of 2 weeks when i had to learn for an exam or something and the only sleep i got was like 2-3 hours fer night, from 3 am to 6 am. I was very tired, my brain couldn't process things normally, it felt like it was lagging.
In the 2nd week i started having audio hallucinations like voices calling my name and stuff
>>
File: ._....._lb___.jpg (638KB, 722x746px) Image search: [Google]
._....._lb___.jpg
638KB, 722x746px
>>18782633
bad things https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNhDkKAvxFk
>>
For all of the idiots in this thread:

It is not possible to die from a lack of sleep. There are people alive (and some dead) that have gones years without sleep. (The lack of necessity for sleep ususally results from some brain damage, so this isn't just a natural ability) Experiments have been done where people have been keep awake for weeks to see what would happen/

While lack of sleep itself will not kill you, lack of sleep can result in death if what you are doing to stay awake is unhealthy. You won't die from lack of sleep, but you will die from drinking 30 monsters and eating doritos to keep yourself awake. The body does a lot of healing while you are asleep, so poisoning yourself without rest is basicslly suicide.

If you dont sleep for a week and maintain a healthy lifestyle, then its mostly what >>18783189 said.
>>
>>18784701
Thank you for saying what I was thinking.

I couldn't be arsed to type this out again because all these anons just parrot what they read in the last 50 sleep-related threads.
>>
>>18784701

>There are people alive (and some dead) that have gones years without sleep.

Never verified. The only people who go that long have a disease called FFI, which is fatal.
>>
one time in high school I was a retard and just played videogames instead of studying, procrastinated like shit. I think I got like 6 hours of sleep in four days. Eventually I saw a glass spider crawling up my wall, it had a tail too. It looked so fucking real. It also scared the shit out of me, not in the 'fuck its a spider' way but in the 'nothing will ever be okay again' way. Then it just faded out of existence, right before my eyes.
>>
>>18782694
>Over-calculation of physical and social interactions
>Episodes of recursive thinking
Yep. It feels like having 6 radio stations and highway traffic and a steaming kettle going off in your head, even though your ears can only hear quiet.
>>
I did 3 days with no sleep once in the marine corps. Was on post and started having mini dreams. It's a terrible feeling.
>>
>>18782648
I've heard of tweeker methheads that go weeks without sleep all of the time
>>
>>18782633
Order caffeine pills, and find out.

Just took about 400 mg today, feel pretty good.
>>
It might sound trite, but the description in Fight Club is actually pretty accurate. Everything gets this sort of not real, copy of a copy feel.

It might sound like a trip, but it really isn't. There's a very uncomfortable feeling of pressure on the brain and behind your eyes.
>>
>>18784701
>It is not possible to die from a lack of sleep.
I would beg to differ, anon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia
>>
Serious question here. If you didn't sleep for a week, would you get a really long dream once you'd go to sleep because of all the info you accumulated during that week? This is important because it could mean you can have super long lucid dreams.
>>
File: Trio.gif (124KB, 590x333px) Image search: [Google]
Trio.gif
124KB, 590x333px
>>18784701
>For all of the idiots in this thread:

>The first sentence is pure retardation.
>>
>>18784701
You're the only fool here, you base your assumptions on nothing while there's real proof that people have died from lack of sleep, the forensic reports also agreed on this. Do you think you can disprove that with nothing?
>>
yeah u see this , when i dont sleep 72 housrs (3days and 3 nights) i see video games in real life
>>
Apparently, the Grimes put herself in isolation and went a week without food and sleep and came out with her album Visions (:D) if that tells you anything.
>>
>>18785122
The science behind dreams is still shoddy at best (generally speaking there's no actual way to study dreams themselves, just how the body and brain when in a dreaming state), but most people seem to agree that dreams are pretty much random, there's no real way to tell if you'd have one long ass dream based on all the shit you saw that week or just a dream where you lead the midget genocide while riding on the back of a giant snail.
>>
>>18785111
>>18785148
Morons, this is because of a condition. Without this incredibly rare condition, you will not die from lack of sleep. Your body will force sleep before that happens.
>>
>>18785301
>you will not die from lack of sleep. Your body will force sleep before that happens.
The condition that I linked to literally kills you by means of destroying the body's physical ability to fall asleep. The cause of death is lack of sleep.

If you want to continue to be fucking retarded, that's fine, or you can give concrete evidence to your point rather than denying reality with an argument that has the level of depth of "no you're wrong because I said so".
>>
>>18785317
Yes, because the condition eventually renders you unable to fall asleep. Without the condition this will not happen FFS
>>
>>18785020
They probably pass out for short amounts of time without them noticing it.
>>
>>18785328
Just because you can't easily kill yourself through lack of sleep due to your body's involuntary functions does not mean that you "cannot die of lack of sleep", dipshit.

That's like saying that "you can't die of lack of breathing" because your body won't let you stop breathing. And, of course, respiratory failure of any kind obviously doesn't count because IT'S A CONDISHUN!!1111
>>
Guy who hasn't been sleeping well here for a while. It will definitely impair your cognitive abilities for a while. You'll have to knock out for a long time and sleep well for about a couple of days to regain your normal critical thinking ability
>>
>>18785370

Not him but you're just being a God damn annoying autist. You know exactly what he means and it's applicable for this thread.

You just want to argue any point so you can feel right. Yes, TECHNICALLY you are correct. But we all know what he said is true, a week without sleep will most likely just have someone feeling extremely weird like a zombie, IF they even stay awake that long. When I try to stay up for days straight I eventually knockout like a baby at the first time I lay down or sit down.
>>
File: eugh.png (373KB, 950x1316px) Image search: [Google]
eugh.png
373KB, 950x1316px
Why the hell does the human body need so much sleep anyway?

Is it so the simulation we're in doesn't lag?
>>
>>18785020
>>18783032
A 'week' is doper slang. After three days or so of using, your condition is comparable to a week without sleep. After being up that long you fall asleep and wake up without realizing it, whether you're watching tv or on your shift as a cashier.
>>
>>18785376
>But we all know what he said is true, a week without sleep will most likely just have someone feeling extremely weird like a zombie, IF they even stay awake that long.
The fact that your body will try to stop you from doing it doesn't make it safe.

To continue with my previous analogy, that'd be like saying that it's perfectly fine and not at all bad to try to stop yourself from breathing because "your body will stop you when you go too far".

The point of the matter is that going long enough without sleep /will/ kill you and isn't safe, and it's fucking asinine to argue otherwise based on semantics.
>>
>>18785370
>>18785401
It will kill you IF you have the condition, in which case you cannot prevent it anyways. With your analogy and reasoning, do you warn people against diving underwater because your body isn't supposed to do that?

>>18785376
Thank you.
>>
>>18785380
It's cool down mode for the body, and the time where the brain sorts out what you did through the day.
>>
I've attempted to go for days without sleep before because it is fun and interesting. One thing I've noted is that if I go for a walk or something to keep myself awake I feel pretty refreshed, I wonder if this is because of the cool air keeping me awake.
>>
>>1878470
>There are people alive (and some dead) that have gones years without sleep.
Gonna need some evidence for that bub
>>
I went about 48 hours. Slight visual hallucinations (e.g. seeing things moving out of the corner of my eye, patterns on wallpaper starting to shift, etc) set in around the 30 hour mark. By the end I started hearing people who weren't there call my name, and feeling invisible fingers tap me on the shoulder. I started getting freaked out so I took a few benadryl with a glass of whisky and slept for 16 hours or so.
>>
>>18784701
THANK YOU
I don't know why every time this topic comes up you get the rush of 12 year old retards going "oOOoooooOOOooOO if u not sleep for week u... DIE!!!". No, sorry, that's fucking retarded.
>>
>cant concentrate full minute on anything
>memory dont work
>head feels empty, like wind coming in one ear and leaving from another
>auditory hallucinations
>moving shadows at corners of sight
>faces appears (briefly) on patchy surfaces
>telephathy delusions
>delusions in general

good fun
>>
>>18782633
I would sometimes stay awake for 2 days or so at a time and experience mild hallucinations and paranoia. Not a nice feeling, I wouldn't recommend it if you can help it.
>>
>>18784624
Go to hell man. My phone gliched.
>>
>>18784701
7 day and 7 nights is too extreme to survive for almost any human.
>>
File: thisollep.jpg (285KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
thisollep.jpg
285KB, 1920x1080px
>>18782633
Staying up for a whole week
Is not for the timid or the meek
But if you choose to and see me
You best leave me and my gold be
>>
>>18785581
For me it's more like,

>haziness, sweaty dirty feeling
>can focus on one thing at a time
>can't hold a conversation
>general sense of fear or terror at night
>weird removed feeling during the day
>once I do fall asleep I feel sick af
>>
>>18782633
Yes, you will hallucinat but as long as you aren't using anything more powerful than coffee you should be fine.
>>
>>18785122
Putting off sleep can do this too. If you want to test it in a safe way, just put off your bed time for a few hours. You'll have lucid dreams or as close to them as possible.
>>
>>18782633
there's a term for what happens when you are sleep deprived: it's called oneirophrenia
>>
>>18782694
You are absolutely right. However, I have managed at times to use amphetamines with minimal negative effects. Which id probably harder if you're shooting the stuff or smoking it.
>>
ITT: Literally the fall doesn't kill you, the damage at the sudden stop does.
>>
>>18786322
What about coke and nice dubs
>>
>>18784701
>if you're healthy you won't die from lack of sleep
>>18785111
>tries to prove him wrong using a disease
>>
>>18786865

It's a stupid argument both ways.

If you're healthy you won't die from lack of sleep because the body will simply switch off after awhile.

The fact is, if a healthy person somehow managed to stay awake indefinitely, they would die from the complications of it. It's not different than holding your own breath. Can you die from it? No, because you will pass out and breathe involuntarily.
>>
>>18782633

>Not hallucinating all the time

Casual
>>
>>18782633
Sleep is just another addiction. If you suddenly cut off sleeping, there will be serious consequences.

You can easily train yourself off sleep if you do it gradually. Be warned, do not do this too fast. Should take 5-10 years before you are free of the desire to sleep.
>>
>>18786921
please teach me how wise anon!
>>
>>18786952

Trip too much, too frequently, for too long. Be predisposed to schizophrenia.
>>
8 years ago there was a femanon who documented her attempt to go a full week. She reported auditory hallucinations like hearing someone calling her name and a cat meowing by day 3 awake. By day 4 visual hallucinations occured, now seeing a shadowy cat running about occationally as well as seeing a friend who slept over to keep her company suddenly jolt up from their sleep and gaze at her with a contorted grin. I dont think she made it past longer than following that.

I had problems with my sleep habits at the time and being an underageb& /x/phile in training i decided to follow in her footsteps.

I was used to pulling all nighters and sometimes pushing it to two nights up in a row, so i made it past that just fine. Lurking, reading, keeping busy. I was starting to get disappointed until day 4 when i had my first auditory hallucinations. I recall hearing distant shouting fading in and out from static, like when you turn the knob on an old radio tuner.

Sometimes they screamed my name. Focusing on activities became harder and i started seeing movement in the corner of my eye constantly. Everything felt like it was buzzing and i just felt terrible. Survivable, but not well. I started seeing patterns in things that weren't there and i felt on-edge all the time, like something was lurking behind me constantly, just out of sight.

I ended up giving in to fatigue after i entered day 5, cant even tell you how far into it i got, i was in such a haze. Felt like i slept for a week after that, even if it just was 18 hours of sleep.

But that's just my personal account /x/, imma go back to lurking now for 8 more years.
>>
>>18787119
Nice story, thanks for sharing
>>
>>18787004
>this
>>
Used to be a really bad insomniac for a couple years before i had medication that would help and would only get 2 hours usually every night, 4 was a good amount for me but rarely happened and i gotta say i was pretty messed up most of the time. Once i went through 3 days 3 nights with no sleep and by the end of that saw things like walls and curtains sort of distorted and melty.
>>
Do meth and find out
>>
>>18787004
I have schizophrenia and I am laughing.
>>
> Highschool
> 2010 or 2011
> Don't sleep for two days because why the fuck not
> Third day
> See shadow people peek from doorways and windows
I don't even know why I did it it was such a stupid thing thinking back on it.
Not like I'm known for my smart ideas anyways but that shit was dumb
>>
>>18782633
I went a week without sleep when I was a young teen.

I now have vivid visual hallucinations anytime I'm in the dark but it's mostly just body horror so it's easy to tell it's fake.
>>
>>18782855
Alejandro Jodorowsky did too in preparation for filming the Holy Mountain.
>>
>>18785622
from the image?
>>
The world record is 11 days. Guy seemed fine after some sleep.
>>
File: 1467869510409.gif (3MB, 428x308px) Image search: [Google]
1467869510409.gif
3MB, 428x308px
>>18782633
Going for just a few days can fuck you up.

Reality will become sort of dream-like, and your body will force micro-sleeps for a few seconds at a time that you won't even be aware of. It can even happen while you're standing with your eyes open.

Hallucinations do happen, mainly stuff in the corner of your eye that isn't there.

If you've ever caught yourself about to fall asleep and realize you're thinking about really weird shit, like in a dream, that can happen at literally any time and takes longer to snap out of than usual.

The worst I've got is where I was driving and vocally told myself to "Stay awake", then still had my eyes falling shut and went into that half-in half-out mode just a few moments later. Completely uncontrollable if you take it too far.

Basically sleep deprivation sucks and ruins your day but I have issues that force me to have to deal with it
>>
>>18782633
If your name is Claire Boucher, you write Visions and propel yourself to success. Most of her fans are pretty lame, but Grimes herself is an old school /x/phile that played the game and won. Her lyrics, especially on that album about inspired by her hallucinations, are pretty clearly magically charged to hell. She a real witch, bruv.
>>
I have stayed up 5 days in a row for a couple of times and every time it was different.

The first time the hallucinations were minor, like hearing scratching, seeing silhouettes etc.

The second time I saw a dog in front of me and a black fluffy cat came from behind me and just strolled right past me. I would've thought that it was real but I was sitting on the edge of the top of a building with my friend. When I saw the dog I pointed it out and asked my friend : "wtf man, how did it get up here?"
and when he said : "what got up here?" I realized what was going on. Half an hour later the cat thing happened and scared the shit out of me.

The third time I was out with my friends in the park and went away to pee. I found a nice place because there are a lot of people passing there. As I was about to go for it a silhouette appeared 3m right of me and asked me "how do you feel?"
Needless to say, I immediately ran away.

The fourth and last time it was the scariest. I was going home late, maybe 3am. In a split second a bright light blinded me and I heard someone saying something like "resun". I woke up in my bed.
>>
File: 1451005161397.png (96KB, 204x208px) Image search: [Google]
1451005161397.png
96KB, 204x208px
>>18788247
>>18788248
we hit post at the same time. hi soulmate asl?

Seriously tho, I've stayed up with a friend for 4 days just to see how long we could go. Especially in the dark, I was seeing animals/bugs twitching, rolling and dashing around corners almost constantly towards the end. Decided to pop a couple benadryl to get really weird and passed out before I could see anything more interesting. Lots of voices saying strange things too. "Your heater is too high" and "You eat this shit?". Would try again.
>>
>>18782633
you cry u are scared as fuck, hallucinations its the least of ur problems
>>
>>18787119
hey man do you have a collection of old threads by chance? It can be from any board. So can you upload them somewhere if you do have them?
>>
>>18784863
>small amounts of a substances can render our ability to be ourselves impossible and act like a completely new entity

>people believe we have some over soul that is US and cannot change and that we aren't just some shitty meat bag
>>
>>18788612
That has nothing to do with personality.
>>
>>18785216
lol artists are nuts.
>>
>>18787788

I don't know why, my hallucinations aren't shitty and crippling. They're background and pretty cool desu. Enjoy your medication, fag.
>>
>>18788612

At the bottom of it YOU have no personal characteristics whatsoever, its just primitive being.

Yes. Everything you are, your entire personality, all your beliefs and preferences, the role you play on stage, your identity and attachements and ego, these are nothing more than costumes. Masks.

I am the liar
In the center
Of my soul
That is shining
Illuminating
All that lies
Without the silver lining
Limelight in my mind
Constellations in the sky
I'm the knife that plunges to the heart
And ushers in the night
So here i stand
Leftwards leaning
Searching for the
Double meaning

Those words came unbidden to my mouth, fully formed, when i heard the voice speaking out of the whirlwind, and saw the burning bush in the hall of mirrors.
>>
>>18788655
Most people who create real art are lol
>>
File: 1405811225579.jpg (60KB, 241x231px) Image search: [Google]
1405811225579.jpg
60KB, 241x231px
>>18788260
>"Your heater is too high"
>>
File: 1442210316399.gif (2MB, 390x220px) Image search: [Google]
1442210316399.gif
2MB, 390x220px
>>18783032
>People don't die from something as simple of seven days of no sleep.
>>
>>18788680
This sounds rather accurate to an extent
>>
>>18790312
It is way accurate. To create somehting new, you kinda have to think differently. Grimes is regarded by most as a "pop star" but in actuality, her music is vastly different from modern pop and attempts to inspire real thought and emotion from the audience. Just my two cents.
>>
File: image-A304_4E277BDA.jpg (29KB, 707x294px) Image search: [Google]
image-A304_4E277BDA.jpg
29KB, 707x294px
No, you can't die from insomnia.
>>
>>18790340
But you can retard if it's that bad.
>>
>>18790340
But this is correct, unless it is one of the super rare cases of SFI or FFI. Normal Insomnia is not fatal.
>>
>>18790556
See >>18790567

Severe Insomnia =/= SFI or FFI
>>
>>18785756
This is bullshit
Literally every time someone has set the world record it has been over a week and literally nobody has died attempting it
The only sleep deprivation related deaths come from a condition, and those people can go decades sometime before croaking
>>
>>18790584

Severe insomnia =/= complete sleeplessness.
>>
this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE
>>
>>18790721
Which is exactly why you cannot die from Insomnia.
>>
>>18782694
>Impulsive behavior
>Delayed response
>Over-calculation of physical and social interactions
>Overconfidence
>Episodes of recursive thinking
>Introversion
>Decline of physical appearance

This is already me with a normal sleep schedule, what would happen if I tried to go 6 days without sleep or something?
>>
>>18793270

Even those who suffer from FFI don't go completely without sleep. They're just incapable of reaching the first stage or going beyond.
>>
>>18782633
More than likely, you body will experience episodes of micro-sleep between 24-48hrs depending on how tired you are, where you go to sleep without even knowing it, for brief periods of time. You'd probably find yourself locked in deep sleep before you ever reach 168 hrs.

Staying up for too long too often can have adverse effects on your body and mental state.
>>
>>18782694
>Overconfidence
worth it
>>
>>18782633
You turn into a skeleton.
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.