[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I personally believe in some form of afterlife. Whether it is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: 1432696545950.jpg (98KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1432696545950.jpg
98KB, 640x480px
I personally believe in some form of afterlife. Whether it is my existing consciousness floating in eternal oblivion, or salvation, or torment. Something happens.

Does the universe care how a person dies? Does it take pity on innocents murdered, does it take vengeance on monsters who don't care?

Genuinely curious on your thoughts

Also afterlife general
>>
>>18773534
>existing consciousness floating in eternal oblivion

I think this, but not oblivion, but the other side of this reality, though it's of direct experience and knowledge and imagination. Can be Heaven, Hell, Nirvana, oblivion I guess, only since you are the one who populates it. If you want oblivion you'll get oblivion, till you're bored of it. Then you'll probably have some big bang moment and start from scratch. By the way time doesn't exist there and when you start creating the universe again be careful where you jump off or you'll be cursing yourself for getting lost and having to do it all over again.

Namaste
>>
File: 1489522763647.jpg (86KB, 500x477px) Image search: [Google]
1489522763647.jpg
86KB, 500x477px
>>18773534
I have held a thought for some years now, and I don't believe it as much as hold it the de facto answer.

Now, let's have a thought experiment.

What is the question that is asked? That would be "What happens after I die?" To even begin to answer that, we need to define the key terms "I" and "die".

What is death? Simplified, it is the cessation of all biological functions that make us alive, cognicient and functioning. We process no more information through our senses, nor have brain function at this point.

What are we? For the sake of this, let us say we are the sum of our consciousness. What is our consciousness? For brevity, let us say it is a function bestowed by our brain, in which our synapses and neurons flaring in and out create a web of memory, interlinked with our senses, and our capacity for thought and emotion.

Is it matter or energy? That is like asking the question "Is a river made of water or earth?", to which the answer is that the notion of a river it is made up of both, the water that flows, and the earth it flows through. We can simplify it further to say that we are the energy that flows through the matter of our body. We experience the world in our heads, through our thoughts, and through our senses.

The crucial component is the energy that consolidates "us" and what happens to it upon death, that much we can deduce.

When we die, I have the thought that the cycle that keeps us living, regenerating, and holds what is effectively our cognition, shatters. Upon that, the flow of energy that makes us is released from our bodies.

I have talked about this with many people, and I have observed a concensus up until this part. What happens next is anyones' guess.

Some look at it as liberation from senses, that "we" flow along with that energy and become part of a greater unknown.
Others have said that we simply are simply as combustion engines with a singular on-off cycle: run out of fuel, the engine ceases operation.
>>
File: 434.jpg (172KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
434.jpg
172KB, 900x900px
The scars from the past shall
remove the nail that stops Time
>>
>>18773927
Oh you preachy little Alan Watts philosophist wannabe.

tl;Dr
>What happens next is anyones' guess.

What a waste of a post.

Fucking energy flows. Take some Lsd and chill the fuck out.
>>
>>18773534
Afterlife is exciting as all hell to me, can't wait to find out.
Whatever it is it'll be the ultimate plot twist of our realities.
>>
I think that "life after death" is technically real, but not in the way that we go somewhere different or ascend to a higher plane, or get judged by a God and get condemned/rewarded for your life choices.

I totally submit to the fact that I have hippie parents, but this is what I was taught and it makes sense to me: science has taught us that energy cannot be created or destroyed. The human brain functions through electrical impulses moving through synapses in the brain, and that energy leaves the body when we die. Since that energy can't be destroyed, I think it simply moves on. And maybe it enters a person. Maybe it enters an animal. Maybe it just floats around in the world in this conglomerate clump for awhile -- whatever the case, we're the product of energy moving fluidly through the universe. There's no "new" souls. There's no "new" life, and our souls don't stay themselves after death.

I hope I explained that adequately! I'm sorry if that came off as a bit vague ^^
>>
>>18773534
Desire for an afterlife is unimaginably greedy as well as nihilistic.
>>
>let us say we are the sum of our consciousness. What is our consciousness? For brevity, let us say it is a function bestowed by our brain, in which our synapses and neurons flaring in and out create a web of memory, interlinked with our senses, and our capacity for thought and emotion.

This is the reductionist view, which supernaturalists often accuse of naturalists. Our experience is not that of a disembodied brain, it is inextricably tied to that of the entire body. The brain and the body affect each other. Our experience is not that of a body in a void, but of that body within physical reality. Consciousness is like a fuzzy circular gradient centered on the body, extending out from it but never reaching absolute zero; everything in the universe affects us, though it may be unimaginably infinitesimal. This is just saying that we are a part of the universe, but this includes us in our entirety, including our consciousness.

This view is incompatible with substance dualism, which posits that the mental and physical are separate and independent. Substance dualism in a religious context represents an alienation from existence, and a desire to erase one's physical existence and become entirely mental/spirit. It is like a form of suicidal desire. Realizing oneness with the universe requires abandoning transcendental spirituality entirely, and rediscovering a physical spirituality instead. The reason why supernaturalists view physicalism/materialism as being spiritually bankrupt is that they are nihilists projecting their own nihilism.

TL;DR deny the existence of the afterlife, gods, and the supernatural not just because there is no evidence for it, but because it destroys meaning.
>>
There is most definitely an afterlife

Eventually everyone reunites with God, some take longer than others

No such thing as eterrnal punishment.

The Universe loves you.
>>
>>18773952
> someone admits they don't know what happens after death
> you throw a bitchfit

So, what? Should he have just pulled some random answer out his ass for you?
>>
File: darwinaward2.png (902KB, 1252x853px) Image search: [Google]
darwinaward2.png
902KB, 1252x853px
>>18773534

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7CVB2xYaso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZVY-pGDsN4
>>
you got to Hades or the pit...
>>
>>18773534
>when you hit the blunt too hard
>>
>>18773534

the universe dont care but the conditions on death affect your mind which in turn affect how you experience the early stages of afterlife (before reincarnation).
>>
>the universe
Before you tip your 15kg worth of mexican sombrero, try reading into gnosticism, salvation is your responsibility so don't let others direct you and assume control.
>>
>>18775541
He literally went 9 paragraphs talking about how when you die your energy returns to the source.

He could have done it in one.
>>
>>18773952
>recommending LSD to unlock the secrets of life after death
I remember my freshman year of college.
>>
>>18774952
I don't want to go to hell
>>
>>18778141
Even if you do you are never too far from God, or at least not forever.

No matter what you do God loves you always. Sometimes you yourself need to heal after whatever evil you have done. A creature of God is inherently good, any bad you do is part of being an imperfect incarnation.
>>
>>18773927
Couldn't have said it better myself
Throw in there >> our soul /spirit makes a "Contract" with our physical self, like a lesson plan for your life.. Depending on where we are in life, learning the light /dark of life.......
We basically choose our passing before we're born...
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.