[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: Arrival8-1.jpg (101KB, 1534x1151px) Image search: [Google]
Arrival8-1.jpg
101KB, 1534x1151px
>tiem isn't linear, the past, present and future occur all at once forever.
>While we speak, We are colonizing Mars as planned
>Genghis Kaan is still invading Asia
>Plato is still teaching philosphy
>Hitler is still doing nothing wrong
>>
File: url1.jpg (42KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
url1.jpg
42KB, 250x250px
Dude
>>
>>18771695
I think we are starting to "get" that concept more as a species. I dont know how to explain it without sounding like some crazy new age girl, but it feels like we are starting to open up and seeing the 4th dimension for what it is
>>
>>18771701
We've done it hundred of years ago and still think the earth is flat at the same time then!
>>
>>18771695
That's only true because you can predict the order of happenings from beginning of time to the end, not because it's magic. You'd have to have knowledge and infinite capability to understand that concept as a whole, but in any case we are where we are as we are and not where we aren't.
>>
>>18771695
That's all technically true but pointless and I'll tell you why. All life on earth (that we know of) lives in the forth dimension but can only manipulate the three dimensions below us, all of time and being exist as one but we're forced to move through time in linear way. We are limited and have a beginning, middle, and end. I assume a being beyond us could perceive and manipulate time just as we can a ball. That level is so far beyond us though its like imaging a 2D being manipulating or even perceiving that ball, which from the 2D beings perspective is just a circle with changing circumference.
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 453x531px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 453x531px
>>18771695
Non Corporeal

>pic related
>>
>>18771695
Tiiiime is a flaaaat ciiiircle, alrite alrite
>>
>>18771695
What a shit film that was
>>
>>18771695
What about Socrates.
>>
>>18772788
>aliens land on Earth
>"great idea, let's send in a linguist instead of an astrobiologist to meet the aliens!"

Fuck off Villeneuve
>>
>>18772829
And why do you want a fucking astrobiologist to study the damn aliens if we would want to communicate with the damn aliens not fucking dissect them.

Also, Amy Adams.
>>
>>18771695
>tiem isn't linear
>at once

Pick one
>>
>>18773052
im sure he means 'time doesn't exist', thats what the rest of his post implys.
>>
>>18773052
Why? If time is linear, everything happens one thing after another and not all at once. Dont see how those two things seem mutually exclusive to you
>>
File: spintime.gif (789KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
spintime.gif
789KB, 700x700px
>>18771695
>>
>>18773069
You can't use phrases like "at once" or "linear" to describe time.

Words don't cut it.
>>
File: spincycle.gif (387KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
spincycle.gif
387KB, 700x700px
>>18773342

New and improved.
>>
>>18773347
Well, if time would be linear I could very well use the word "linear" to desribe that characteristic of it. No need to be vague with no good reason, even when thats pretty much /x/ etiquette at that point
>>
>>18773045
Right, because knowing how the aliens operate biologically in no way could help with figuring out how they communicate with each other. Ideally, you'd have the linguists work with the astrobiologists. Instead there was just some physics guy for whatever reason.
>>
File: g9Mem06g.png (1MB, 728x1239px) Image search: [Google]
g9Mem06g.png
1MB, 728x1239px
>>18771695
>>18772117

"In eternity, where there is no time, nothing can grow, nothing can become. Nothing changes. So, death created time to grow the things that it would kill. And you are reborn. But into the same life that you've always been born into. And how many times have we had this conversation, Detectives? Well, who knows? When you can't remember your lives, you can't change your lives. And that is the terrible and secret fate of all life. You're trapped by that nightmare you keep waking up into."
>>
can i tell my past self to go visit my mom and tell her i love her before she died?
>>
>>18773347
>Time as perceived in our physical reality is linear, progressing in a 'direction'. Our perspectives are unable to view time as any other 'direction', and only the 'future' can be influenced by us.

>On a higher level, time is omni-directional in a way we can't comprehend; a spatial dimension superimposed directly on top of itself and intersecting with the other spatial directions and manipulated through forces we can only barely observe here

?
>>
>>18771695
Great Sci-fi.
>>
>>18771695
This thought is not original. I'm pretty sure scientist have almost proven it to be true. Theoretically, anyway
>>
>>18777114
Words don't cut it.

Try as hard as you want, you'll never accurately describe time.
>>
>>18777114
Explain time from the perspective of a photon.

Or better yet, a neutrino.

You see what I'm getting at?

Don't confuse our models and concepts of "time" with actual Time. They're not equal.
>>
Did you know that elsewhere in the universe, there a super-sized planets that support life and that the larger the planet is, the slower time goes by. So if we made it to one of these planets and were hovering there in our ship, in stealth mode of course, one day for us would be like one hour for life on that planet.

When you dabble in quantum physics, you see some shit. Scary shit.
>>
>>18777635
So in a nutshell, smaller worlds could come and go, with whole civilisations being built and destroyed, and huger more dense worlds could be in the starting phases of life?
>>
>>18777813
Yes. Considering that or sun is on the smaller side for stars and that there are red giants millions of times larger with gigantic planets, if one were to have developed some sort of life, it would be quite interesting, with the enormous gravitational pull, just what form that life would take. Scientists have ever speculated that under earthlike conditions, it would be very similar to our lifeforms. Cool stuff, it's disheartening to think that we'll probably never know.
>>
>>18771695
>Kek'd at still doing nothing wrong
>>
>>18771701
Show us your tits
>>
What if time in this still-expanding universe is like a bubble filled with water suspended in some 4D ether. And we are each like a water molecule which is the same molecule in every bubble next to it, moving in all possible directions at the same instance. Or also every possible iteration of that bubble occupying the same space.
I'm no expert, so this is just a guess.
>>
If the Universe is expanding, which it is, then "time" is also expanding.

Our current theories of time mean fuckall.
>>
If you place film squares of a ball in all possible positions and lay each on top of each other, you would get a black square of film. Since in 4D time is not a scene, but a place that could add opposing movements equalling no movement at all to be what you perceive, would a 4D object you can see in a place be immovable and unchanged like Op's flat circle? Or a single point representing all possible iterations? Would every flat circle be a 4D building block?
>>
>>18778040
There is no time.
>>
>>18771695
Arrival was garbage liberal propaganda for pseudo-intellectuals
>>
>>18771695
Time beats differently for everyone. It is never on the same track.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.