[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Junji Ito Horror Appreciation Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: drr drr.jpg (308KB, 525x542px) Image search: [Google]
drr drr.jpg
308KB, 525x542px
I remember seeing this two years ago and laughing at it, but now, after reading the context, it's creepy, but still funny. Haven't read Uzumaki yet; is it good?
>>
uzumaki is good, keeps getting better as story develops
>>
>>18764509
Do not listen to this man, Uzumaki is shit.

And yes, I read the ENTIRE thing one day because I had nothing better to do.

His shorter stories are usually better while the longer ones get repetitive and shitty, from what I've experienced.
>>
>>18764491
I could never appreciate this one because my autism about anatomy. Bones would never morph that way. A spooky concept though. I did like the one about those gems or whatever that were great power sources but they ended up being souls or whatever
>>
>>18764571
You have to suspend your disbelief pretty hard for these stories. The people would starve to death before their bodies even got that mangled, and they'd die once they experienced too much trauma/deformity.
>>
If you like Ito's stuff, check out Nakayama Masaaki's Fuan No Tane and Koushiou Radio.
>>
>>18764571
black paradox
>>
>>18764491
what context?
>>
>>18764567
maybe continuity wise uzamki is weak but it's got good style and scenes that make up for the faults
>>
>>18764713
No, not even that.

It's "lol hey lets create gross out body horror and talk about how deep and meaningful spirals are" for what, 28 chapters?
>>
>>18764706
>Archeologists find a buch of person shaped holes in mountain
>becomes tourist attraction
>Some people find that a hole is the exact same shape as they are
>uncontrollable desire to go in hole
>"This is my hole! It was made for me!"
>People start climbing in holes
>Dissapear
>Years later
>Archeologists come back
>See this
>>
>>18764724
umm no it's about a girl and her boyfriend and a retelling of the Adam and Eve story
>>
>>18764739
oh i thought you were saying there was some creepy lore attatched to the making of the story

it's still comical
>>
>>18764739
It's several months later, not years.
>>
>>18765102
Not lore, symbolism. The Amigara Fault is a symbol of our life. From deep history, our path has already been laid out. We find "our hole" and are seemingly forced against our will to fit into it. It molds us, shapes us, and there is no way to get back. At the end of the journey - will we still be us? Will we still even be recognizable?

There is no choice. The life that we're living - it is our hole. It was made for us.
>>
File: 1468382192843.jpg (191KB, 812x806px) Image search: [Google]
1468382192843.jpg
191KB, 812x806px
>>18765228
Just air blast the hole so it's shark-tooth protrusions face the other direction and feed them back through the hole. Problem solved. Also nuke the mountain.
>>
>>18765241
You aren't very good at symbolism.

A theme I note in a lot of Ito's work is the accpetance of the insane as normal and uneventful. Things that will make the main character recoil and run screaming are met by others with acceptance and the boredom that comes from repeated exposure. Especially is small, isolated social group like a small village town or a single family. We adapt and get used to things so well, so gradually, that it takes an outsider to bring us up short and point out the insanity of what we're doing.

Like in Uzumaki, the spiral is an unsettling, corrupting influence over the whole area for apparently longer than the town's history. It spreads through everyone and everything in the place, forcing it's appearance and influence. It's near impossible to resist and remain outside the environment that surrounds and pressures you at all times.
>>
File: sharkbaitoohaha.jpg (53KB, 590x281px) Image search: [Google]
sharkbaitoohaha.jpg
53KB, 590x281px
>>18764491
Gyo is ok.
If you want something disgusting read 'Glyceride', I just find that thing disgusting.
'Long dream' is a very unique concept that freaks you out.
However I believe Junji Ito's best story is the one about the woman next door. Everything about it just creeps you out.
pic related is gyo
>>
File: 1486506281835.png (60KB, 973x611px) Image search: [Google]
1486506281835.png
60KB, 973x611px
>>18765278
I'm just explaining how to fix the fates of the characters in Amigara Fault, I understand the symbolism numbnuts
>>
>>18764491
>Haven't read Uzumaki yet; is it good?

It starts out good then drifts to a disappointing downward spiral towards the end.
>>
>>18764491
Uzumaki made me hate snails
>>
>>18764491

Only one that seemed believable and spooky to me.
>>
File: 1450847903714.jpg (304KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1450847903714.jpg
304KB, 1536x2048px
>>18766449
>downward spiral towards the end.
>>
>>18764724
Absolutely entitled to your own opinion, but Uzumaki is less of just "deep and meaningful spirals are". The town is cursed into a never-ending spiral of repetition that if you don't leave soon enough, you're caught up in it.

You can take it to mean that you'd be stuck doing the same thing your family has done for generations if you never leave home, or more that just this town is cursed and it's terrifying to see everything around you literally become nothing as the town "resets."

Lots of Ito stories have their faults, as do most, but Uzumaki tried and I feel succeeded in telling a much better story than Tomie.
>>
>>18765287
>'Long dream' is a very unique concept that freaks you out.

Agreed, it's one of my two favorites of his. The second is the story about the siblings that are hiding the deserter as revenge for the death of their sister. That one panel of his face never fails to get me to look over my shoulder just in case.
>>
>>18764567
Uzumaki is fucking great and you've got shit taste. The end.
>>
>tfw Konami cancels the Kojima, Del Toro, Ito collaborative Silent Hills game
>>
>>18765084
Um, no. I'm not even sure how you reached that conclusion.

>>18767112
>You can take it to mean that you'd be stuck doing the same thing your family has done for generations if you never leave home

I never got that impression.

Anyway, I think it could have been a decent story if he cut it a lot shorter. Like, kept it to the first few chapters. And did away with the "lol our town is haunted by crazy spiral shit every other day but let's just go about our lives like normal" stuff.

>>18767119
I'm sorry you're buttpained because someone else doesn't like what you like.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.