[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Judeo-Christian mysticism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: Feuerstein.jpg (169KB, 404x555px) Image search: [Google]
Feuerstein.jpg
169KB, 404x555px
Can anyone tell me more about Judeo-Christian mysticism? Is it all LARPing or is there some truth to it?
>>
>>18752118
all LARPing.
>>
>>18752118
it's true man, if by mysticism you mean visions and the holy spirit presenting intself in front of you. yes it's true and it's a wonderful thing. our lord Jesus is merciful
>>
It is the absolute truth the fact that you deny it but have this sneaking suspicion is the entire fucking lie. See it already oh my god.
>>
It is a complete fable made up by the powerful to control the weak and poor. Even believers have a nagging suspicion it's all bullshit... wake up!
>>
>>18752294
The words are not quite right. It should have been "it is the obvious truth that exposes the complete lie". The way the question was posed and now you respond to it effects the truthness and now it all manifests. Language is about to get tricky and discussion is about to get extra interesting.
>>
>>18752307
damn, what are you smoking?
>>
>>18752317
The absolute truth. It sounds a lot like a crazy person for a reason, but there's always two types of crazy people.
>>
>>18752118
All the religions of the world hold parts of the whole truth.
You're not here to conform. That was Crowley was doing he's whole life. He was a non-conformist. That was the Great Work. Every secret is in the mysticism.
>>
>>18752391
Yes but now you know the word of god and that man can speak it. You spoke the word of god without even knowing it. He always did too. This is the realization.
>>
>>18752231
I'm already a Christian, no worries. What I was referring to specifically was stuff like Esoteric Christianity and Sabbatean/Hassidic Kabbalah in Jews (idk if Kabbalah is legit or not, my Jewish friend doesn't know much about it but said it's mostly just a bunch of dumb college students).

>>18752294
>control the weak and the poor
Totally explains all the Christian charity and all that Christian opposition to social darwinism, abortion, eugenics, etc. right? Fuck off NEET, it's past your bedtime.

>>18752391
>parts of the whole truth
This meme gets repeated way too much. Pray tell, what "parts" are in each religion? What exactly negates the rest of the religion beyond those fragments of truth you subjectively select as "truth?"

Just sounds like a cop out from being religious.
>>
ITT: people who actually dont have any clue about this topic
I'm actually a theology minor in college and am currently in a christian mysticism class, I just stopped studying for am exam to browse 4chan
Christian mysticism and spirituality are all about thinking deeply about everything, transcending physical life, giving up physical wants and desires, basically hollowing yourself out and opening yourself up, taking an eraser to the lines you created separating yourself from the universe, and letting the universe (god) return to you, fill you up, intertwine itself with you unchangably
Christian mysticism is about giving everything that you think is important away forever so that you can recieve gods eternal love and become a part of god again
People have in the past had very intense spiritual experiences as a result of this asceticism, but they are hard to quantify or belive because the nature of asceticism means that those practicing it will be starved, thirsty, extremely tired, probably overheating in the desert wilderness on thr brink of death, because those dick heads would take it really far and not let themselves have anything, but reports of people meeting angels or god coming down feom heaven to talk to them are really a minor aspect of mysticism and to write off the entire field because those experiences are implausible is shortsighted and dumb
Mysticism is about creating heaven on earth by transcending petty human desires and thoughts, and embracing the infinite love that the universe has to offer
Sorry for any spelling errors I'm on mobile
>>
>>18752118
It is all LARPing.
>>
>>18752448
>>18752148
>>18746567
There is a very good reason I see and read your post and ask you to see and read mine. You are on this site commenting to this reply for an absolute reason. See and then ask after you read it all.
>>
>>18752118
As an Christian I reject that political libel Judeo-Christian used by US politicians who suck up to Israel,because we are two different groups.
>>
>>18752448
So for some historical context, would you be referring to people like St. Augustine of Hippo, St. Francis of Assisi, and that sort of crowd?

A bit off topic (or perhaps on topic), are monasteries and monks still a thing? It seems like a monastic life is the best expression of what you were talking about. Are monks exclusively a Catholic profession or are there Protestant monks as well? What kinds of things would monks preoccupy themselves with (do/did they just read scripture?).

Sorry for all the questions. You seem like you know what you're talking about and I've recently been deepening my faith in Christianity.
>>
>>18752470
I was just using it as a blanket term; this isn't supposed to be a political thread. i just wanted to get a conversation started about Christian mysticism and Jewish mysticism and used the blanket term since I didn't want to say "Christian and Jewish mysticism."

Regardless of my political stance, I find Jewish culture very interesting despite not being Jewish, hence why I asked.
>>
>>18752461
I'm sorry but I am having trouble following either of those posts
>>18752473
I'm mostly referring to the ascetics and desert christians of the second and third centuries AD, and people who later followed in their footsteps like catherine of genoa (you shpuld read about her if you havent, she was a crazy fucking nut who did some extreme shit but came out with some wonderful spiritual insight)
As far as monastic life, I know that historically monks would spend a lot of time doing recurring tasks, like building a house if sand over and over again only to destroy it, or shit like that. They would also spend a considerable amount of time studying everything, theology, sciences, arts, everything. Monks were some of the best educated people of their time. They would also go through purges and withhold things from themselves, like going two weeks without any food, going a week drinking one very small cup of water only every day, shit like that, soul strengthening mind opening things
I recommend a book called the essential writings of christian mysticism by bernard mcginn if yourr interested in getting a full gestalt of 2000 years of spiritual pursuit and discovery
>>
>>18752576
Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a look at it.

I forget the specific names, but I know what you mean with those in the second and third centuries. My interest in Christianity really started in 10th grade European history when we studied those kinds of figures. I still have the textbook we used on my bookshelf, but between reading those kinds of stories and reading Dante's Inferno, I really got opened up to Christianity.

In your theological studies, have you been able to ascertain whether there is anything significant about the time we're living in? I know this happens a lot, but I've seen a lot of lectures online about how we're living in the End Times, citing Biblical propehcy and whatnot. I wouldn't go so far as to say we're seeing the revival of apostles and prophets and whatnot, but is there any evidence from the scripture to suggest that there's something significant about the current era?

Thanks for all this information, it was just what I was looking for with this thread. Considering the make up of this board and 4chan in general, I was worried that it would just get hijacked by atheist trolls or something that would derail the conversation.
>>
>>18752576
I know that's the whole point. So just ask me what parts you don't understand and I'll just explain it you. It's that simple. It's easier for me if you ask in that thread
>>
>>18752118
In this thread trolls trolling trolls by trolling the trolls
>>
>>18753322
My double duds confirms this as a truth
>>
>>18752596
>is there any evidence from the scripture to suggest that there's something significant about the current era?
I have come across nothing really in my studies specifically that would say there's something significant about the present era
That being said, and this is just me talking, not based out of any religious studies really, but I believe that the psychedelic explosion in western society in the past ~60 years has led to an uptic in spirituality/mysticism in our society because psychedelics can be basically a shortcut to transcendence when all the settings are just right, or can at least give people a peak beyond reality and help them understand that true existence is so much beyond our comprehension
For me, psychedelic experiences were essential to forming my understanding of god. Mystical experiences had by Christians throughout history were all psychedelic experiences. They didn't do drugs (usually), but they still had psychedelic, mystical experiences that showed them a glimpse of the infinite.
Don't know how well that answered your question but hey
>>
>>18752596
Honestly bro, we're living in all of the above. End times? Heaven? Hell? Purgatory? It all depends on what you make of it.
>>
>>18753420
You truly think you have come to know as me and I see your power, you are close. Now you must realize why you are not me. When you say it depends on what you make of it, you are constantly forgetting that you are in fact every part and so me and so this message. The belief in probability, that it isn't inevitable, is strong in its purity. Probability is your serpent. It is all inevitable for me and so you and so us all.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.