[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Occult / Ritual movies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Hey /x/, what are some cream of the crop movies that center around the occult and magical rituals?
I want to run a tabletop series with some friends and I would like to know as much as possible so I can anchor it in reality and provoke some spooks.
Pic semi related
>>
The Holy Mountain
>>
>>18709260
the ninth gate.
>>
Greys anatomy
>>
>>18709696
So much this
>>
There were a number of occult themes in Fantastic Planet, but I'm not sure how much it would help you with writing a tabletop game since the actual narrative/setting of the movie is firmly rooted in science fiction. Still, it's one of my all-time favorite movies and is densely packed with symbolism, so I think it deserves a mention here.

Seconding The Holy Mountain.

While it wasn't exactly well-received by /x/, I think Doctor Strange is a good entry-level movie. The philosophy of the sorcerers was taken nearly verbatim from occult traditions. Plus the over-the-top fantasy magic could serve as a good inspiration.

Documentaries on occult figures like John Dee and Aleister Crowley could also help you design some interesting wizard NPCs.

Good luck!
>>
>>18710197
Thanks anon! I'm aiming for shit like Rosemary's child, but with more blatant displays of occult power (At first it can be nightmares, but I want it to move past the implicit and into the explicit, with real demons coming into our world)
>>
Eyes Wide Shut is obvious tier
>>
>>18710228
Again, I felt like it was centered more around the actual cultists (don't get me wrong, can't have a cult without em' ) and less around rituals that aren't just fancy ways of courting whores.
>>
File: Suspiria-051.jpg (349KB, 1920x816px)
Suspiria-051.jpg
349KB, 1920x816px
Suspiria
>>
Martyr(s)
>>
>>18710197
>The philosophy of the sorcerers was taken nearly verbatim from occult traditions
what
>>
Angel Heart
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.