[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

An Athiest wanting convincing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: A cosmic feel.jpg (337KB, 2290x1014px) Image search: [Google]
A cosmic feel.jpg
337KB, 2290x1014px
Sup, /x/

I think most religion, and 95% of the things posted on this board is complete bullshit, but I think that life would be a little more meaningful if there were something more powerful behind the scenes.

I want some proof, or way to prove to myself that there is a valid faith (can be any), or that there is an afterlife. How can I do this?
>>
>>18661129
There are many ways, how do you want to do it?
>>
>>18661129
The whole idea of faith is trusting without fully knowing. if religion can be fully proven, it would be pointless to debate about it.
>>
>>18661129
There isn't even any definitive proof that the information you receive from your sensory organs is related to what's actually happening around you.

But you have faith that you can rely on your senses to navigate the world around you, etc.

It's like the time when that one guy said that faith is like a mustard seed. Faith is the bridge between your empirical experiences and rational thought. Work from there and you'll figure out the rest in about 35 years.
>>
>>18661142
Other than An-heroing, I'm up for whatever will get the job done.
>>18661143
That's the idea that pushed me away from it. There are hundreds of religions on this planet, and they all have this concept of "just having faith", despite most of these religions contradicting one another. Which one is right?
>>
>>18661129

It is reasonable to assume there is more advanced life somewhere, but it is unlikely that it would take much interest in us (a ball of dirt is a ball of dirt, no matter where you are in the universe).

The theistic concept of a "God" or some super-natural conductor of goings-on in the world is, and always has been, just a projection of parental and past political figures into a make-believe framework to take the blame for all the inexplicable, unfavorable occurrences, and credit for those favorable.

All things considered, as we are reactions, it seems inelegant to assume all of existence, or any part of it, has been arranged for the pleasure or benefit of some higher being or society thereof.

Just calmly stare into the void, and find some way to meaningfully extend your existence into it (create something structured upon logic and rational thought, don't go "looking for god") - there is nothing there, and letting your mind run wild will just cause you to create the usual "demonic" projection of your past and your ideals.
>>
>>18661165

To expound on my last point: By "projection", I don't mean any reference to the typical "astral projection" BS that is discussed on this board. It refers to your perception of your situation, and how it can become self-affecting in the absence of external information.
>>
>>18661160
The only religion that has decent evidence is atheism because there is no solid evidence for any religion, just the lack of evidence to point to no religion.

However I am a Christian because it makes me feel happy and gives me a way for me to give rational views on an otherwise irrational world.
>>
>>18661129
Atheist here as well, though recently I have been learning about Buddhism seeing as most of it is composed of things I already believe.

Faith is something you need to cultivate in yourself brother. I always wondered why even though I did not believe in god why I looked up to many men of faith who had done great works: Copernicus, Galileo, Giordano.

The fact of the matter is in order to find 'god' you must find your center. You must understand who you are and why you behave the way you do. Then and only then will you come to create your own principles and values: your own faith.

This happened to me after many years of NEETdom and solitude. Now that I am going into the world more, challenging my beliefs more, I am beginning to see wholesomeness and act on it.

Its a journey you will have to make alone. And it starts from within.
>>
File: 1101140217_600.jpg (157KB, 600x797px) Image search: [Google]
1101140217_600.jpg
157KB, 600x797px
>>18661129

What did pan-doora (the door to everything, aka infinity) find at the bottom of the box?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSif77IVQdY

https://readtiger.com/img/wkp/en/Tree_of_Life_2009_large.png
>>
Literally just came here for /r/atheism.
Please fuck off.
>>
File: deathcartoon.jpg (69KB, 250x377px) Image search: [Google]
deathcartoon.jpg
69KB, 250x377px
>>18661276

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RTPdAAdw30
>>
>>18661129
>I want some proof, or way to prove to myself that there is a valid faith (can be any), or that there is an afterlife. How can I do this?
Learn magic, you should have your answer after daily practice of one hour. OMG has some books, but start with LBRP daily and 30 minutes of zazen/midfulness, until you find a path to follow.
>>
>>18661129

Think about it like this, there will be life after yours. This might not be an afterlife as you may spiritually imagine, but it's still a life where people live on after you pass.

Now tell me about this life they are living. Is it a life where they remember you? Is it a life made better by your actions? Is it a life you had a meaningful impact on?

Or is it a life where people wish to forget you? One where you have caused pain? One you never contributed to and changed?

Is your afterlife positive or negative? Will this affect you even after you've passed away? Who knows, no one can prove. We may only speculate.

But wouldn't life be sweeter if you did good? Wouldn't you have created more fulfilling, lasting memories and enjoyable times during your life when you lived? Wouldn't you have hopefully experienced a nice fraction of what this universe has to offer?

The future is your afterlife, because it comes after the part you're living now. So is it dark and desolate, or a paradise bathed in light, filled with your loved ones?

That's the beauty, you have the free will to choose.
>>
>>18661129
The meaningfulness you are speaking about is life being a means to some end, and is in opposition to life being meaningful in itself.

Desire for an afterlife is a combination of fear of death and infinite greed.

If you want to change your life you only need to apply language and reason to yourself. Write to yourself as if you were two or more people with opposing positions regarding things about yourself, rigorously argue for and against things, burrow into the contradictions you have and seek to resolve them. "demons" in reality are linguistic phantoms that haunt us, for example toxic regret.

Mystical experiences are real phenomenon and can be induced without mental illness, but are merely techniques to bend your perception in potentially powerful ways, by playing with Hypnagogia, inducing hallucinations and physical perceptions. Obviously this is useful for supporting supernatural beliefs as one can experience what they expect those supernatural things to be.
>>
Smoke dmt
>>
>>18661674
After talking to an expert in pharmacology here, I was thinking in making some kind of device to strap the dmt directly over your genitals, allegedly it's the best method for absorption besides inhaling it.
>>
First off, there isn't a set in stone, 100% always will work, method for experiencing the paranormal. Why? Because the element that, if it is off by a tiny bit, and will throw you off is you. You have to find a niche where you are comfortable. Then work your way into owning that niche.

Be that in magic, worship of a deity (No god will answer you if you only half-assedly "believe" what you tell them.), or even using a Oujia Board.

I get asked this crap over and over though.

So my advice to you OP, is to pick something and do it. Then do it again. and again...until something you cannot explain happens. Be that doing a summoning ritual every night for a month, using a Oujia board every time you get a chance, or searching far and wide for a monster out in the woods.

The search is long, and it's hard. It took me years. And I still question almost everything. But once you get that one hint at something, it becomes impossible to give up searching for more. You CAN break the Fedora Curse, OP.
>>
spend 10 years studying and practicing the occult so you actually are skilled enough to get meaningful results

this among other few things is why barely anyone believes anything anymore

science is easier, more efficient and profitable
and because of that we now live in very comfortable, but ignorant times of blind scientism

you don't expect to get swole after going to gym once so don't expect to experience your personal proof or at least a reason to suspend disbelief after following some stupid guide on how to summon a succubuss from x once or dozens of times
you have to develop certain skills, acquire knowledge and understanding of the occult to get results, just like you have to do all of that in every other aspect of life

not many people dare to put so much effort to the occult tho because you can just study whatever else to pay your bills
>>
>>18661494
This a fucking underrated post
a rarity in /x/ these days,well done anon.
>>
File: actsoftheapostles2.jpg (61KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
actsoftheapostles2.jpg
61KB, 600x400px
>>18661129
i know how you feel.
i have some basic questions for you.

>most religion is bull shit
what parts do you think are otherwise?

>life would be more meaningful with something more powerful behind the scenes
why would it be more meaningful? also, would you be willing to receive the inevitable condemnation for your beliefs from your social group?

>i want proof
what kind of proof would you be satisfied with?

retaining faith can be a struggle. churches and meeting houses can be dogmatic and judgemental, pushing you away. new found faith can easily translate to self righteousness. there are many layers to this onion. you need to sit down and prepare yourself for the quest towards god. for many of us its not an easy path.

in the meantime i recommend reading the gospel of john followed by the acts of the apostles. those are readily available and will give you the basic idea of christianity if thats where you want to start.

in the end if you dont find "religion" youll find what it is youre truly seeking after.
>>
>>18661129
>An Athiest wanting convincing

You don't, actually.
>>
>>18661129
>or that there is an afterlife. How can I do this?

find a hypnotherapist trained by Dolores Cannon and get a past-life regression
>>
>>18661129
>but I think that life would be a little more meaningful if there were something more powerful behind the scenes
There is no "behind the scenes".

Listen to the "Out of your mind" collection by Alan Watts to soften up your currently held notions.

https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/7154827/Alan_Watts-_Out_of_Your_Mind_(The_Essential_Lectures)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Ujow9iSQg
>>
>>18661129
One life is more than enough...what else do you need anon?...it all starts and ends right here...sometimes it sucks but other times it sucks even harder...we all have to learn to deal with it...
>>
File: x.jpg (199KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
x.jpg
199KB, 720x960px
>>18661129
I was an atheist but i recently "turned."

What changed me was meditating in nature.
Its easy to dismiss spirituality from behind a life-draining computer screen.

But when you go into nature, study biology and psychology (Prometheus Rising is a great short book I highly recommend), and meditate you will slowly begin to realize that there is more to your narrow perception
>>
I would go onto youtube and look at steve huff paranormal for a start. Straight to the point. Its crazy shit.

If you were in australia I can personally show you a haunted house and you will forever believe.are you?
And watch some ghost adventures episodes like bobby mackeys.
>>
>>18661129
Here you go. It literally proves a "creator". It proves the something more part. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_RwcGzGurc&index=11&list=LLDoIXBc268nNnjLnasu_nfQ
>>
>>18661129

I believe everything is possible. It's really liberating. When you believe everything is possible, you don't care whether it's true or false. It's possible. You eliminate all cognitive dissonance instantly. It's like your mind inherently knows how to make all the pieces of reality fit, you just have to accept it.
>>
>>18661129
This will help
https://youtu.be/CRkDicwjRQs
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.