[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

KIC 8462852

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

So what is it? Natural phenomena or alien megastructure?
>>
I think Isaac Arthur made a pretty good video on that. tl;dr: it's not impossible it's an alien megastructure, but due to what we know of the star and it's vicinity it's pretty unlikely that it is a work of an intelligence, at least not directly.
>>
>>18631487
I sort of don't want it to be an alien megastructure, but then again I do.
>>
File: Shitpost.jpg (92KB, 500x627px) Image search: [Google]
Shitpost.jpg
92KB, 500x627px
>>18631487
>>
>>18631521
Usually a curse is something bad bro.
>>
>>18631521
I'll be waiting, but I'll be at work so it could be a bit awkward.
>>
>>18631487
Asstroids.
>>
>>18631521
op is fag
>>
It's something currently only explainable as intentional intelligent alien effort. There's intense scientific interest in it right now and no one has come up with any natural explanations that stand up to peer review. For almost two years now. Unlike every other observed cosmic phenomenon I can of.

It's significant.
>>
>>18632406
I suspect there are in fact some flaws in how most to all astronomers compute their probabilities and statistics, and we're currently at a point where they're ending up saying "no combination of potentially possible natural explanations can explain this". This itself would have a handful of interesting implications, like the alien race doing it are p much saying fuck haterz and doing whatever the hell they want.
>>
>>18632406
I thought the comet idea made a decent bit of sense. Or maybe a patch of interstellar debris obscuring it?
>>
>>18631521
save my cursed buttole, OP is a fag
>>
i think the best explanation for this is the recent theory that the star swallowed a planet or large celestial body of some sort, which blocked out bits of the light
>>
>>18632837
That's implausible, unless the mass of the planet was a good percentage of the star's and made entirely of something other than hydrogen or helium.
>>
Op is a fag
>>
>>18632453
Another scientist has compared historical plates of that region of space and shown that star has been steadily dimming for like a hundred years. Comets or interstellar debris shouldn't behave that way. Another study found there's no infrared emissions which they kind of phrased as if it disproved the dyson sphere hypothesis but as I see it it more disproves theories about closely orbiting natural bodies. A dyson sphere would presumably be much more efficient at absorbing energy including infrared than our weak ass solar panels. Other studies have found there's no unusual radio emissions but again ETIs could presumably use energy transmission technology that doesn't produce RF emissions. All these hypotheticals about what aliens may or may not be able to do make the scientific method very difficult to make use of.
>>
>>18631521
OP is a Fag
>>
>>18631521
Op is a fag
>>
>>18631521
op is a fag
>>
>>18631499
The aliens that might be dwelling around the star probably have more uses for it than we can come up with.

Energy is the least likely problem in any case that they are actually able to travel through space. They might've even had automated drones patrol various solar systems in search of young stars for harvesting.

Maybe the damn thing itself is an alien or some sort of almost living form of matter, though I wouldn't be surprised if it actually is natural phenomena because space is weird.
>>
>>18631521
Cancer
go back to facebook, faggot
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.