[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hinduism General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: trimurti.jpg (606KB, 1080x1620px) Image search: [Google]
trimurti.jpg
606KB, 1080x1620px
http://sacred-texts.com/hin/index.htm

http://www.vedabase.com/

http://www.purebhakti.com/

http://www.shreemaa.org/

http://www.shivashakti.com/

Questions and discussion
>>
bg 18.66

Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear.

The Lord has described various kinds of knowledge and processes of religion – knowledge of the Supreme Brahman, knowledge of the Supersoul, knowledge of the different types of orders and statuses of social life, knowledge of the renounced order of life, knowledge of nonattachment, sense and mind control, meditation, etc. He has described in so many ways different types of religion. Now, in summarizing Bhagavad-gītā, the Lord says that Arjuna should give up all the processes that have been explained to him; he should simply surrender to Kṛṣṇa. That surrender will save him from all kinds of sinful reactions, for the Lord personally promises to protect him.

In the Seventh Chapter it was said that only one who has become free from all sinful reactions can take to the worship of Lord Kṛṣṇa. Thus one may think that unless he is free from all sinful reactions he cannot take to the surrendering process. To such doubts it is here said that even if one is not free from all sinful reactions, simply by the process of surrendering to Śrī Kṛṣṇa he is automatically freed. There is no need of strenuous effort to free oneself from sinful reactions. One should unhesitatingly accept Kṛṣṇa as the supreme savior of all living entities. With faith and love, one should surrender unto Him.
>>
The process of surrender to Kṛṣṇa is described in the Hari-bhakti-vilāsa (11.676):

ānukūlyasya saṅkalpaḥ
prātikūlyasya varjanam
rakṣiṣyatīti viśvāso
goptṛtve varaṇaṁ tathā
ātma-nikṣepa-kārpaṇye
ṣaḍ-vidhā śaraṇāgatiḥ

According to the devotional process, one should simply accept such religious principles that will lead ultimately to the devotional service of the Lord. One may perform a particular occupational duty according to his position in the social order, but if by executing his duty one does not come to the point of Kṛṣṇa consciousness, all his activities are in vain. Anything that does not lead to the perfectional stage of Kṛṣṇa consciousness should be avoided. One should be confident that in all circumstances Kṛṣṇa will protect him from all difficulties. There is no need of thinking how one should keep the body and soul together. Kṛṣṇa will see to that. One should always think himself helpless and should consider Kṛṣṇa the only basis for his progress in life. As soon as one seriously engages himself in devotional service to the Lord in full Kṛṣṇa consciousness, at once he becomes freed from all contamination of material nature. There are different processes of religion and purificatory processes by cultivation of knowledge, meditation in the mystic yoga system, etc., but one who surrenders unto Kṛṣṇa does not have to execute so many methods. That simple surrender unto Kṛṣṇa will save him from unnecessarily wasting time. One can thus make all progress at once and be freed from all sinful reactions.
>>
>>18616088
Should call it Krishnite-fag general, it's more appropriate considering the only thing you ever talk about is Vishnu-related things. You can't talk about 20% (33% at best) of the religion and call this thread that religion's general.
>>
>>18616528
Ok. Any recommendations for sastra to discuss?
>>
>>18616088
I'm interested in Hinduism, but I don't know where to start. What are it's main branches? Notable people? What books should I start with? Etc...
>>
>>18616616
Most Hindus worship either Vishnu Krishna,, Shiva or shakti (such as Kali and Durga). Some worship all considering them to be one. Many notable people from different sampradays such as shankaracharya, ramanujacharya, madhvacharya and Lord Chaitanya. Bhagavad Gita would be a good start.
>>
>>18616629
I don't really understand. I thought Hinduism had many Gods who did different things? Also, don't Hindu's worship Brahman?
>>
>>18616679
I forget, I remember seeing him/it...I think Brahma was the correct name. My bad
>>
>>18616679
Depends on which philosophical school you subscribe to. From a Gaudiya vaishnava perspective Krsna is the highest conception of the divine while other gods are expansions of his energy or act as his intimate servants. Bramhan is just the effulgence coming from the body of Krsna and is just one aspect of the divine.
>>
>>18616705
Are there any particular precepts or guidelines within the Hindu fates? Like how Buddhism has the 5 Precepts, or Christianity and the commandments...anything particular that either one is forbidden from doing or advised against doing?
>>
>>18616734
No meat eating, no gambling, no intoxication, no illicit sex. Ahimsa is also followed under ordinary conditions.
>>
>>18616741
Thanks for answering my questions my friend.

How exactly is Yoga and Hindu belief interconnected? What came first and why? I am kind of confused on how exactly Hindus view the spiritual practice. I'm guessing it's not just about worshipping say Krishna, you also have put in some work, which is why Yoga and Hinduism seems interconnected, right? Or can one merely choose to be an ascetic or yogi for another reason? I guess I'll just simplify it and ask, how would a layperson go around practicing their faith, rather than an ascetic or mystic?
>>
>>18616801
The word Yoga means union, and so we are trying to attain union with the divine through spiritual practice. Coming from a bhakti yoga background this linking process is established through devotion. Extreme austerities are not required. For a layperson one can read sacred scripture (sastra), associate with devotees (sadhu sanga), visit the deities of radha krsna in the temple and chant the names of God (harinam) a fixed number of times daily.
>>
Who iskcon fag here?

We celebrated Lord Nityanada with abhisek on sunday, it was cool.
>>
>>18617239
Gaudiya Math reporting in.
>>
What exactly is ganesha from a mystical/occult perspective?
>>
>>18617866
Son of lord shiva, typically worshipped for success and destruction of obstacles
>>
Should be renamed "Hare Krishna Recrutment Thread".

Fuck off with your cult.
>>
>>18617951
Welcome to discuss any of the different branches of sanatana dharma.
>>
>>18617951
so feel free to criticize the Hare Krishna
>>
File: 1483430935570.jpg (44KB, 500x355px) Image search: [Google]
1483430935570.jpg
44KB, 500x355px
>>18617866
I dont know about tut but from a practical perspective he was an elephant who could speak english and yet his wife and children were ordinary elephants, and from his council rights and legal protections were granted to elephants for the first time
>>
>>18617951
Hare Krishna brothers.
>>
Been reading a lot about Hinduism lately.

I can't consider myself Hindu, but lately I've been picking the aspects of kundalini yoga that don't seem like they're gonna blow my CNS and essentially using that to practice mindfulness (I've come to realize). And honestly, Shiva has become a great symbol of chilling-the-fuck-outness to me, though I feel weird about it as I'm not really into idolatry, though I'm not sure self-"influence" through a symbol qualifies as idolatry when it's in pursuit of the godhead.

In any case, thanks Hindus! Honestly. I'm skinny as fuck now, and am successfully replacing caffeine and pot with meditation and it's because you have a system of symbols that helps me understand God.
>>
Also, I do promise to remember compassion as my western dumb ass pursues emptiness.
>>
Also if anyone has insight into why Krishna and Christ are apparently exactly the same concept, I'm honestly curious.

I'd especially like to know how old this
>> 18616098
interpretation really is. Does that kind of talk really predate Christianity by hundreds of years?
>>
>>18619451
Gita was spoken 5100 years ago or 3100 b.c.
It predates Old testament.
>>
File: 29UE7.jpg (525KB, 1034x1121px) Image search: [Google]
29UE7.jpg
525KB, 1034x1121px
>>18619451
>>
>>18617866
resides in root chakra. honor before everyone else
destroys or creates obstacles
>>
>>18620570

I can sincerely promise you that this infographic is manifestly completely retarded af to anyone who knows *anything* about these religions.
>>
>>18621153
The point of the infographic is that it's all bullshit.
>>
>>18621626

Oh really????

Nevermind then, you're smart!!!!
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.