[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pagan/alternative religion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: lunara_by_gemkimart-d9krbby.jpg (780KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
lunara_by_gemkimart-d9krbby.jpg
780KB, 640x800px
I identify a pagan because of my religious beliefs, but I don't identify as a specific type/denomination of pagan. My beliefs are
>I practice ancestor worship
>I honor a house god with minor offerings
>I revere nature in the form of animism (spirits/kami/wights/etc.)
>I believe the gods (of their various pantheons) are basically exceptionally powerful spirits with specific roles
>I believe that people join their ancestor's spirits in the afterlife
>I believe that some people who are revered as such can become posthumously deified (e.g. Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, Joan of Arc, George Washington)
>I don't currently worship any gods, but believe that all pantheons are real.
>I view gods as individuals (No god head, Brahman, Jungian archetypes, or Wicca duotheism here) but some gods might be the same god (Zeus/Jupiter type pairings)
Thoughts? Share your beliefs too.
>>
>>18593937
you forgot to add that you are a faggot
>>
>>18593944
simply eric post my friend. shit for brains
>>
>>18593937
I don't think you should call that paganism.
>>
>>18594538
What would you call it then? I am a polytheist in that I believe in many gods, I just don't worship any of them..
>>
>>18594538
That is pretty much any form of Paganism. He's pretty much detailing Celtic, or Hellenistic Paganism.

Or Native American/African beliefs. Depending on the tribe of course.
>>
All of that weird bullshit combined with world of warcraft fan art...

What in the actual fuck.
Do you worship elune?
>>
>>18594554
I think the term it's to broad.

It was used by the chuch to persecute every other religion, so Celtic and Hellenic rituals are completely different, but get mingled togheter, even worse with the rest.

It undermines the achievments and uniqueness of every cult, and at the same time creates and unintelligible mess.
>>
>>18593937
What if someone have ancestors that believed in diferent pantheons,who do he join afterlife? Your beliefs are interesting tho.
>>
>>18594559
I just like Lunara, she's my main in heroes of the Storm and I needed a pic.
>>18594554
Definitely shares a lot of details with most European Pagan religions as well as Shinto. Can't say I know enough about any Native American beliefs other than the local one to compare them. The local one is pretty similar too though.
>>
>>18594562
I don't practice either cultures rituals, and if I did I would try to keep the practice separate, don't mix your peas and potatoes type of thing.
>>18594563
I believe the afterlife is either a simple realm similar to the summer lands, or that you exist just as a spirit in our world. I haven't died yet so I can't know for sure.
>>
>>18594562
He isn't mingling anything, he is being unique.

Pagan means anything "not Abrahamic". That is why you add the (Insert culture here) to the word, Paganism.

>>18594565
All the stuff you're talking about is pretty common in almost every culture at some point in history. You don't have to label it.
>>
>>18594577
I know how the term pagan it's used, and I don't like it.

My andean sun worship it's labeled as pagan and I don't want it to be, it reminds us of the inquisition.
>>
File: images (9).jpg (8KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images (9).jpg
8KB, 275x183px
>>18594589
Who gives a shit? The inquisition isn't a thing now. It's also nice to unite all Pagans by banding them with one term, otherwise we just get glossed over.
>>
>>18594596
The inquisition it's always a thing, Yahwe it's out for blood and can't be satisfied.

If you want to band togheter I'm fine with it, but don't call us pagans cause we aren't.
>>
>>18594589
>>18594623
>>18594596
>>18594577
I wouldn't consider a Non-European or Mediterranean religion pagan personally.
>>
File: CsTJPrxVMAIj5w9.jpg (330KB, 800x1150px) Image search: [Google]
CsTJPrxVMAIj5w9.jpg
330KB, 800x1150px
I am okay with being the "peasant" pagan.

I am very PRO-Agriculture, humanity has become reliant on factories, making food (energy) like in the Matrix, harvesting life.

Fuck off with
>muh anthropocentrism
>muh better than animals

We will see how much God will tolerate this bullshit. If humanity crumbles, it is because of its own making, of its own sin. There will be other species that will be in God's favor if we are too busy (((CONSUMING))) iphone 17 and worship the Eye of the Devil (((money))).
>>
>>18594623
>The inquisition it's always a thing

Then buy some guns. I've received death threats before. I didn't stay in my house crying like a sissy though. I went on with life.

Has anyone threatened your life? I mean seriously, to your face.

>Yahwe it's out for blood and can't be satisfied.

Nice faith you have there, in your own gods.

>but don't call us pagans cause we aren't.

Paganism literally denotes "Those against Christianity" when used in the context Christians use it. And in more olden terms it means "Unknown region" or "Out in the country."

I.e. Paganism refers to people who lived outside of more readily converted cities, back in the day.

I'm a country boy. I refuse to convert to Christianity. I'm Pagan.

When used as an insult, the word "Pagan" meant "Redneck" basically.
>>
>>18594630
Why not, Semitic and Hellenistic Paganism were two of the largest groups of Pagan religions.
>>
>>18594655
you misunderstand me. Only Semitic, Indo-European, Turkic, and Finnic pre-christian religions are pagan in my book. Not East Asian, Hindu, or American religions
>>
>>18594665
To be fair, "Indo-European" encompasses Hinduism. Hinduism shares the same original beliefs system as almost all European Pagan religions.

Native American beliefs are also very similar to European Paganism. North Americans are closer to Celtic/Germanic Paganism. South Americans/Central Americans were more like Hellenism and Semitic Paganism. If you believe in any gods, it could be that we all worship the same things. Or if you don't believe, it could be that humans all tend towards similar religions because of how we think.

Either way, I'd definitely call Hinduism and Native American beliefs Pagan. As for far east stuff (Chinese religion, Shinto, etc.) They do deserve their own class. I wouldn't disagree.
>>
>>18594682
Hinduism was definitely pagan at one point. But there belief in Brahman, dharma, karma, reincarnation, detachment, etc. makes them seem quite distant. Native Religions are similar but I would class them different because of a difference in culture and that Natives view themselves as separate religiously and I respect that.
>>
>>18594687
>But there belief in Brahman, dharma, karma, reincarnation, detachment,

Literally exists in European Paganism. Maybe not all in one single religion (except it does, in Celtic Paganism. They just had a bit of a different take on karma and such.), but it is all there. Just because they built different houses doesn't mean they didn't use the same building material.

>Native Americans
>a difference in culture

I wouldn't walk up to a Native American and say "THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE", if he didn't already not mind being called that. However, yet again, if you take everything into consideration Native Americans were not that different from the Celts. Sure, every tribe was different in both, you had hundreds of different tribes. However stuff that has stuck with us throughout the years is very similar.

Pointing to culture isn't really a reason to say try and to define Paganism less broadly. Especially not when they shared many similarities.

Agree to disagree I suppose.
>>
Do any of u have sources on ur info about european paganism

It's a bit strange since historians say we have next to no info on how these religions were practiced or what they believed
>>
>>18593937
You're Hermetic stupid.
>>
>>18594781
I don't believe in a singular creator god. I don't think it's impossible but I don't believe in it.
>>
File: cover.jpg (61KB, 526x790px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
61KB, 526x790px
>>18594729

I'm not sure which "historians" you've been reading but whoever they are, they're full of shit. There is quite a bit of information that may not quite be "proof" of anything but is very suggestive at the very least.

Try starting here.
>>
>>18593937
I am a Hellenist. Mostly recon though I mainly worship Artemis and Athena outside of daily devotions and festivals.
>>
>>18596678
that's awesome, my love greek mythology was helped convince me to become a pagan. I never really got into the religion itself though.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.