[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

File: 1362941812011.gif (1MB, 512x767px) Image search: [Google]
1362941812011.gif
1MB, 512x767px
I need spoopy books. During my childhood I read only Dracula and Pet Sematary and loved the shit out of them, specially the last one, but then I stopped reading because movies were cool back then so I jumped to that hobby instead. But now I want to read again, what are your recommendations anons?

/lit/+/x/ thread I guess.
>>
>>18558884
Anything king or poe
>>
the illuminatus trilogy isn't really scary at all, but it's extremely /x/ and a very good read
>>
>>18558893
What about something outside the obvious? We all know about Lovecraft, King and the like.
>>
>>18558919
So you've read them, then?
>>
>>18558929
No anon, just the ones in the OP. I remember reading a bit of Poe and from King, Duma Key, and another one which name cant remember, I just remember it was about some dudes going insane due to something found in some mines.
>>
>>18558919
I've only read king and poe
Its why I suggested them.
But do a quick google foo on scary stories books etc and you'll probably find something.
>>
I highly recommend "the Terror" by Dan Simmons
>>
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
>>
>>18559145
Apparently that is getting a series, 10 episodes. Might be cool.
>>
House of Leaves.
The King in Yellow.
>>
I know we already said King but The Shining is a scary read
>>
>>18558884
Salems lot is my favorite king. Currently going through IT for the second time another great one. It always surprises me how almost nobody else I know has read IT
>>
>>18559291
Ive wanted to read house of leaves but was always turned off by the way it's written
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>18560985
Re reading IT myself, definitely one of King's best. Hope they don't fuck up the remake.
>>
>>18561002
Most likely will.it would take somebody quite spectacular to capture the essence of that book on film imo
>>
File: quiroga.jpg (33KB, 316x473px) Image search: [Google]
quiroga.jpg
33KB, 316x473px
One of the masters of south american terror tales, that I never see mentioned it's Horacio Quiroga.

From his tale the decapited chicken.

"The brilliant day had drawn the idiots from their bench. So while the servant was cutting off the head of the chicken in the kitchen, bleeding it parsimoniously (Berta had learned from her mother this effective method of conserving the freshness of the meat), she thought she sensed something like breathing behind her. She turned and saw the four idiots, standing shoulder to shoulder, watching the operation with stupefaction. Red...Red..."
>>
Try some of Algernon Blackwood's short stories. Few of my favorites are The Empty House, The Willows and The Wendigo.
>>
File: fd.jpg (46KB, 400x258px) Image search: [Google]
fd.jpg
46KB, 400x258px
Laird Barron, try Occultation and other stories.
>>
File: necroscope.jpg (29KB, 317x500px) Image search: [Google]
necroscope.jpg
29KB, 317x500px
>>18558884
necroscope is pretty awesome, but there are like 27 books
>>
Metro 2033 (and 2034 too, actually) are downright blood-chilling. I don't think they are labelled as horror books per se, but the horror elements are definetly a fresh breath to the america-centered horror genre.
>>
>>18559164
Thats awesome! The Franklin Expedition is one of my favorite stories from history. Whats the series going to be on? Netflix?
>>
All of the Books of Blood by Clive Barker are great, 4 collections of horror that hits a wide range of topics. My absolute favorite is "In the Hills, the Cities."
>>
The Ritual by Adam Nevill is an easy read and is good. Think it's getting a movie from Robert Downey Jr.'s production company.
>>
Seconding The King in Yellow. It's probably not super spoopy by today's standards but it was a milestone in horror/weird fiction and worth a read.

OP if you like classic horror, Gutenberg has some older public-domain ebooks.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Horror_%28Bookshelf%29

The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson weirded me out quite a bit for such an old story, especially toward the end. It got long but it was a worthwhile read.

If you're looking for more modern stuff, Clive Barker is a good place to start. Laurell K. Hamilton has a vampire hunter series that's not bad. I haven't read any Peter Straub, but have heard good things about him.

If you are open to crime novels at all, Minette Walters has written some that creeped me out more than most of the horror I've read. Also in the mystery vein, Christopher Fowler has a series about these two cops who investigate /x/-related shit.

Franz Kafka and Shirley Jackson are considered "weird fiction" writers but are often lumped in with horror. Both are top notch.

That's about all I can think of for now. Hope that helps.
>>
File: c26.png (223KB, 404x507px) Image search: [Google]
c26.png
223KB, 404x507px
Lovecraft is a must.
>>
>>18558884
>>18562840
"The call of Cthulhu and other weird stories" by Lovecraft is the go to
>>
>>18562840
I find Lovecraft borrowers like Robert Bloch more enjoyable simply because they're better writers, although he's got a uniquely chilling authenticity to his stories.

De Vermis Misteriis actually came from Bloch's "the shambler from the stars" which I recommend highly.
>>
>>18558884
It's [spoiler]social commentary[/spoiler] but the short story The Yellow Wallpaper has a horror vibe to it
>>
File: tzff3RY.gif (518KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
tzff3RY.gif
518KB, 500x340px
>>18558919
Get into some Clive Barker anon. Just be aware some of his stuff is just rape fics...
I recommend Hellbound Heart and Midnight Meat Train, The Yattering and Jack, Pig Blood Blues, Hell's Event, New Murders in the Rue Morgue, and Rawhead Rex from the Books of Blood series. The comics on his stuff are really good too.

>>18562804
Fucking this. Metro 2033 and 2034 are amazing just from the setting alone. Makes the games really good after reading them.

Who Goes There?, The Things, and At the Mountains of Madness should be mandatory reading as well. Pic related.
>>
>>18562840
don't get me wrong, i love lovecraft as much as the next guy, but try as i might, i can't get myself nearly as worked up and scared of angles in r'lyeh as he can
>>
>>18564603
The Yig books he did with Zealia Bishop are all really good.
>>
>>18558884
Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by MR James
>>
>>18564603
>Robert Bloch
mah nigga
>>
er, naked lunch?
>>
>>18558884
The scariest will haunt and terrorize you: forever. You don't see for what you ask. Better you never get your fill of horror and terror. But if you want to see terror then look at what's happening around the world: there are people in houses near you who have been taken captive and now they are trapped in basements, locked up and chained up. As we write and read this thread, many people are prisoners of rapists and they will soon die from torture and mutilation. They will be found and reported in the news in months, years or decades from now. Can you not hear their screams? Hear them begging and pleading for help? The is the ultimate horror movie. Read books on what rape victims endure: this will give you nightmares.
>>
>>18560989
it's not nearly as intimidating as it looks when you're flipping through it. a lot of the stuff that is written sideways and junk isn't really important. a lot of the footnotes are just long lists of fictional names. it's easy to get a feel for what's skippable
>>
>>18561002
have you seen the pennywise teaser photos? the director said something about how he wants pennywise to be more like a knife in the shadows and not like a lure. not really a great start
>>
>>18562808
Series by AMC, so, expect The Walking Dead: freezing edition. Ridley Scott is on the lead so it actually might be good.
>>
>>18558884
Joy Ride by Jack Ketchum. Had one of the scariest fictional villians in literature for me.
>>
>>18562829
>The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson
How does that story compare to The Night Land by Hodgson? I enjoyed the world it took place in, but the writing was so damn repetitive.
>>
File: 24611567._UY500_SS500_.jpg (48KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
24611567._UY500_SS500_.jpg
48KB, 500x500px
Thomas Ligotti will spook you on an existential level
>>
Dean Koontz has some good stuff
>>
Person by Sam Pink
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 400x400px
Pretty good collection of Nope stories
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.