[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to begin to learn Bhuddist teachings, but I have no idea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

I want to begin to learn Bhuddist teachings, but I have no idea where to start.

I know theres no Bible / Torah / Quoran equivalant.

Im looking for free and compatible with Android (ebook, app, pdf). No videos because itll buttfuck my data.
>>
File: 1369739212043.gif (1MB, 360x203px) Image search: [Google]
1369739212043.gif
1MB, 360x203px
>>18558228
It's an elaborate set of systems designed to sell and reduce your soul away, while giving you a headrush so you get "mmm pleasant feels, one with nature hurr"

Try capitalism, but minimalism too. You'll actually get pussy and have a life that way.
>>
>>18558259
Nice metaphysics, faggot.
>>
>>18558259
>>>/biz/
>>
>>18558267
>buddhism
>not metaphysics

Haha, okay, good luck goys
>>
>>18558228
Pleb: Heart of the Buddha's Teaching, Alan Watts shit

Patrician: Doctrine of Awakening by Julius Evola, Three Pillars of Zen, In the Buddha's Own Words
>>
>>18558275
I already have a decent job and wife / kid. Im not on /x for money or pussy
>>
>>18558302
Thanks!
>>
>>18558228

>"Hey guys, I want to learn about something but spend no money, and change not one single thing in my life to accommodate learning. Sauces plis".

I'm trying moderately not to be a dick here, but coming in expecting to be spoonfed is not going to get you much serious help. Before anyone can even try to help you, you need to help yourself. Find which type you're most interested in: Mahayana, Vajrayana, Theraveda, and Zen.
>>
>>18558306
Then seek another outlet, not buddhism, which is really, just an excuse to do nothing and pretend like you're doing something

Don't say I didn't warn you.
>>
>>18558323
Im not going to go out and become a monk. I just want to learn what it has to teach. The same way I can read the Bible without going to church and giving 10%.

>>18558313
Im just looking for a starting point better than Wikipedia. If I want to get farther into it, THEN I would consider making actual purchases.

Im not really expecting to be spoonfed, it just never hurts to ask and advice from someone with experience is 1000% better than random Google results.

Ive never even heard of any of those but Zen, and even that I dont know what it means in this context
>>
>>18558337
What started this desire?
>>
>>18558259

the one with nature meme isn't buddhism
>>
File: TheWayOfZen.jpg (19KB, 225x346px) Image search: [Google]
TheWayOfZen.jpg
19KB, 225x346px
"The Way of Zen" by "Alan Watts" is a great starting point. I'm halfway through after lurking /x/ for years and he really has a way of organizing all these ideas I've heard on here in a relatively easy to understand way.
>>
>>18558347
A few things.

From an outsiders perspective it's always seemed pretty chill to me, and Im in a pretty stressful point right now.

Im reading the Bible while at work and Im looking for something to alternate with during the dryer parts (hence, the android compatible request). I work on an assembly line so I have a good 20 seconds work / 20 seconds reading for 8 hours straight. (posting from work)

I dont like being ignorant and feel like my knowledge of all eastern religions is one big misconception soup from tv, the internet, and word of mouth.

From what (I think) I know of the Buddha and what he taught, I feel like its something I can learn from.
>>
>>18558302
I found a pdf, so thank you again!

>>18558383
Ill track this one down too before I get reading, thanks!
>>
>>18558228
>I know theres no Bible / Torah / Quoran equivalant.
What is the Pali Canon?
What is the Kangyur?

>>18558259
Buddhism asserts a position of no "soul" as most Westerners or even Hindis understand the concept.

>>18558302
>In the Buddha's Own Words
Only good recommendation there.

>>18558323
What's your argument against Buddhist phenomenology? I'll wait. Cite the Abhidhamma, pls.
>>
>>18558545
>What is the Pali Canon?
>What is the Kangyur?
Im sorry, Ive never heard of either of those.

Im mainly just going off of what Ive previously been told and a quick Google search to double check. https://www.reference.com/world-view/name-buddhist-bible-1f2cc80a6f3622b7#

This is what I meant by I dont want to be ignorant, and why I prefer asking over googling
>>
>>18558228
The "Buddhist Scriptures" Penguin Classics anthology of the Dharma edited by Donald Lopez.

It's probably the most comprehensive and up-to-date entry text to the Dharma.

Don't trust anything that isn't dharma or anything that claims to be any kind of 'final word'. There is no final word.
>>
>>18559755
Thanks for the additional recommendation!

Wife and kid are out of the way for an appointment today so I'm using my time before work to do some video learning.

This is the best one I've found so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYKdEnEqfQQ
>>
Bardo Thodol, the Tibetan Book of the dead.
>>
108 chakras the heart is a 12 petal lotus.
>>
>>18558228
Get the Great Courses audiobook about Buddhism
Read Siddhartha
>>
>>18564630
It's a good place to start before delving into primary sources
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.