[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever meditated for longer than an hour? I often cut

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

File: Palden_Dorje.jpg (19KB, 347x314px) Image search: [Google]
Palden_Dorje.jpg
19KB, 347x314px
Have you ever meditated for longer than an hour?

I often cut myself short because I feel as though I am wasting my time. But what if chronic meditation really is the key to enlightenment?
>>
My body becomes sore and i get restless.
It's hard to sustain. I like to view meditation as a quality over quantity kind of thing though.

What are your reasons for meditation OP?
>>
>>18548463

Enlightenment, what else is there?
>>
>>18548450
i used to be really into it, i started losing perception of time the deeper i went.

not from falling asleep either, i always sit when meditating. the most i've done is a few hours, probably 3+, it's just about getting in the right mindset. really clear your mind. even the smallest thing and it can break your meditation. once you start nailing that, you'll find sustaining it longer is easy.
>>
>>18548450

The amount of time you spend meditating doesn't matter. You just need to know what to look for. An inexperienced meditator may think, for example, that the vibrational state is a myth. But once it has been experienced, it becomes increasingly easy to re-establish. Eventually it only takes a few minutes to reach a full vibrational state. With more practice, that can be maintained in daily life. The same can be said of the death of the ego, the cessation of perception, etc.

Sure, I've meditated for hours and hours at a time. First time I even reached the vibrational state took a few hours. If you haven't had those kinds of experiences, such as the actualization of nondual realization, then perhaps you should meditate for longer periods of time until you figure out what it is you're looking for.

But also remember that meditation is not the goal. It is the standard. You should ideally be in a state of constant meditation while reading, working, talking, driving, etc. Of course that takes many years of practice, but just don't get it in your head that meditation is something done while sitting down in silence. You can meditate while shopping for new pairs of underwear or whatever it is that you do. Do that more often.
>>
>>18548465
Stress relief. Problem solving. Mental sharpness and health. It's a lot like getting extra sleep. Doesn't have to be all Jedi shit.
>>
>>18548450
If your body becomes sore, it can be sign the you need to increase your flexibility. Being restless suggests that there is too much energy in your body. So either you need to circulate it better or you need to ground yourself better. If you feel you are wasting your time than you need to focus on something else before you can attain higher states of meditation. Perhaps your astral energy density is too low for you to comfortably ascend. Perhaps you have reached a point where you must seek a master or at least a teacher. They true key to enlightenment lies in awareness. Open your self up to the sun, moon and the planets and you will surely be able to progress. As a yoga teacher i was taught the basics. So make sure your diet is ballanced. meditation is best on an empty stomache. That you are sleeping well in a good rythem. That you refrain from sexual activity on a regular basis. That you are holding onto emotional trauma. There are a lot of different aspects to the body. Dont expect ballance to follow you around quite to the contrary ballance takes a great deal of precision and will power.
>>
>>18548486

What is it you define as meditation?
>>
>>18548486
GENUIUS POST

ALL HAIL THE ENLIGHTENED LEADER

HEARD THE SHEEP
>>
>>18548516
That you are not holding onto*
>>
>>18548450
>chronic meditation

Dude it's not an illness.
>>
>>18548463
As you overcome that restlessness something happens. I'm too tired to explain it, but you can try for yourself.

Is like dreaming while awake. Don't be scared at what you might "see" or "hear", it's not real.

But it's cool.
>>
>>18548486
I have experienced the vibration (as a prelude to astral projection), in about 20 minutes. For some years I can meditate for much longer and not get them anymore.

I thought the realization of non-duality WAS a myth. Now you're making me itch. Please help me understand what you mean by "knowing what you're looking for."
>>
>>18548478
This. If you feel like anything including wasting time you're not there yet, it can be very difficult to clear your mind enough.
>>
>>18548788
lmao best response
>>
>>18548794
All is one.
>>
>>18548486
two days ago i decided i would try to meditate for twenty minutes but only let myself 'count' to twenty minutes in my head (turns out it was 35 mins when i was done) either case after about ten minutes and then again at 15 my body started tingling sort of painfully but i felt very in the moment. is this the experience of tapping into resonance?
>>
Max Limit is 11hrs. Started at sunrise, finished and caught the last bits of sunset

Was kinda surreal
>>
>>18548943

NO.

ALL IS IN ONE.
>>
>>18548987
My balls went in one once.
>>
>>18548486

Go away (new)tripfag
>>
>>18548450
>Have you ever meditated for longer than an hour?

I sit zazen one and a half hours per day.

>>18548450
>I often cut myself short because I feel as though I am wasting my time.

This could be a part of the tricks of the ego.

>>18548450
>But what if chronic meditation really is the key to enlightenment?

According to one tibetan monk. Meditation is like piercing the skin of the ego and letting it bleed. You probably won't kill it, but a meditation routine will weaken it considerably over time. In theory, you could reach enlightenment just by meditation (as buddha did), but it is difficult. On the other hand, it is almost impossible to reach enlightenment without having gone through some kind of meditation.
>>
>>18548956

The tingling shouldn't be painful, though you may experience it that way at first since you're probably not used to your body/mind operating in that way. Any vibration is a good sign, though. Try to get back to that state and work past the pain. If you allow it to happen without hesitation, your entire body will eventually vibrate in such a way that it's practically impossible to pay attention to anything else.

>>18548794
I'd suggest reading Ashtavakra Gita.
Quote:
"Having realized yourself as One,
being serene and indestructible,
why do you desire wealth?
... why do you run around in turmoil?
... It is strange
that in a sage who has realized
Self in All and All in Self
this sense of ownership should continue."
>>
>>18549784
I know the self is an illusion, I know it's all inside me and I am inside it. I know I shouldn't abstract reality into symbols and words.

But I can't experience it, like I'll have glimpses of being aware of this and in harmony, but I'll soon get lost in the illusion again, and in the bad streaks even get caught up in all the little nuisances of the ego.

How do you stay awake?
>>
>>18549784
I've meditated and experienced some really cool and hard to describe states. But I find it's easier and more comfortable to just go back listening to my thoughts than it is observing them. Will this eventually reverse? It's hard not to strain.
>>
It has been shown to help cure multiple sclerosis.
>>
>>18549853
Probably because when you're stressed your immune system weakens. Meditation helps with relaxation.
>>
>>18548450
How do I even meditate? They say you should watch your breath, and breathe in a certain way, but when I do that I start to breathe manually, and then I panic because I get afraid I can't snap out of it. I hate watching my breath and I hate breathing manually.
>>
>>18550075
then use your breath to count or to imagine something else, instead of thinking about the breath why not try visualizing a balloon which expands when you breath in and contracts when you breath out...maybe work around the breath without working with it directly in your head?
>>
>>18550079
No that kind of stuff doesn't work for me. I mean, isn't there a way to meditate without the whole breathing thing?
>>
Meditation in an state , between body & mind , so time no matter , body no matter , mind no matter , its forget all things to remember others. ^^
>>
>>18550083
yes, the whole point of watching your breath is to keep your active mind distracted, instead of that you can focus on anything really, sound, touch, a specific point in your vision (or specifically defocused of the scene). Pretty much anything that let's you fully experience the moment, with time you should be able to take in all the info on the present moment.
>>
>>18548450
Yes. The longest I've gone was around 3 hours. Not in any way that long compared to what some people will do at retreats.

> I feel as though I am wasting my time.
You are. Wasting your time is also just a thought.

You sit in meditation in order to allow consciousness to reveal what it is. That won't happen if one is absorbed in matters of daily living because attention will be preoccupied by sensory objects.

You have to get quiet and alone enough that the mind begins to relax. Thought doesn't have to go away. It will still be there, but if you allow it to run without any disturbance, it will unravel on its own.

>But what if chronic meditation really is the key to enlightenment?
It is. But there's no reason to have to meditate longer than an hour or two. But there is a reason that you have to maintain a daily practice.

It takes time to settle into meditation. The first time someone does it, they will be completely occupied by the urge to leave. Gradually, that will lessen over time, until you can feel comfortable in just sitting without regard for anything.

Remember it's not about maintaining anything or gaining anything. That is all effort based. Meditation is the effortless state. It's the most natural state. If you're maintaining it, you're in a fabrication, still a duality.

>>>18549834
> know the self is an illusion, I know it's all inside me and I am inside it. I know I shouldn't abstract reality into symbols and words.

Then you don't know what it is. You're thinking of a conceptual model. That's not it, at all. It's better to just throw all that away, and look at what is actually happening. How do you know it is an illusion? What if it isn't? You have to realize it or else you've only made an assumption.

Anyway, what is the point of trying to realize something? You're clinging to an idea and telling yourself that you have to realize "that". You'll never find it, because it's an idea. You have to let go of what you think you're looking for
>>
I used to meditate for one hour daily before school started.

First of all, you didn't give us any feedback on what you have read about it, so if you don't know what you are looking for, meditating is a waste of time (don't get it wrong: i mean that, if you think you just have to sit there thinking random shit, then you aren't going to accomplish anything).

I would suggest to read The science of breathing by Yogi what-so-ever-pajeet-shit, and energy work by some other guy i don't remember

And yee, once you reach a deep level of relaxation, you'll just feel like you just melt with your chair (also it always took me at least half an hour to accomplish that)

usually warming your body up before starting helps

interesting and pleasurable shit
>>
>>18551335
Are these the books? If you are going to give advice do it properly.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1611926.Science_of_Breath

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/658830.Energy_Work
>>
>>18551788
https://www.amazon.com/Science-Breath-Hindu-Yogi-Yogi-Ramacharaka/dp/1603864180
>>
>>18551335
So... Did the complete breathing as explained at the beginning of that book for a couple of hours and I started sobbing like a little bitch. What the fuck?

>inb4 I'm a faggot
>>
>>18551788
Robert Bruce!
Sorry, i didn't remember his name

and >>18551788 this one

>>18552106
Maybe you aren't used to breath with your belly...

If you can breath with your uper chest, your chest and your belly, try synchronizing your heartbeats with your breathing, that's why i recommended you this book in first place.
(the one when you breathout with small little streams of air works like a charm to relax too)

And Energy Work is a must-read for beginner... meditators?
>>
>>18552867
>>18552106

Wait, wait, I misread sobbing

Yeah, pretty much you are a fuccking faggot
>>
>>18548450
it's one of the better ways to pass the time, that's for sure.
>>
>>18551335
Science of the breath is a 2/10 book. Utterly useless beyond the physical description of the process of breathing.

Robert Bruce is legit though.
>>
>>18552930
>a book that teaches you how to oxygenate properly is useless
>a guy that scams you with new age energy flow bullshit is legit
>>
>>18552930
If you are a complete newbie, then it's cool

If you are not, the techniques could be compressed into little simple paragraphs

>>18552981
>Robert Bruce
>new age

o wow kill yourself
>>
>>18552983
>literally teaches "energy work" and "astral projection"
>not new age

o wow kill yourself
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.