[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buddhism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: Buddha-little.statue.jpg (2MB, 1556x1922px) Image search: [Google]
Buddha-little.statue.jpg
2MB, 1556x1922px
Hey /x/,
I'm interested in learning and practicing Buddhism. Is there anyone here who practices? Any idea of where to start, or how to help someone who is new to learn of the ways?
>>
>>18539207
If you have skype I could mentor you, but only if you have open-mind.
>>
>>18539279
I am OP of this thread.

>>18538504
>>
Awakening the Buddha Within by Lama Surya Das could be helpful. Access to Insight is a good website as is Sacred-texts.org. different strands of Buddhism vary in ideology so you may wish to investigate, as a first step, the broad scale differences between Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism. Zen seems very accessible and popular these days, as do Tibetan Buddhism. I would also recommend starting a meditation practice, try wildmind.org. Finally, read up on the Eightfold Path and Four Noble Truths
>>
>>18539279
>>18539207
I will give you the Mahamudra instructions to directly see nature of mind.
>>
how do you stay happy? neutral? shut yourself out and ignore the horrors and wrongdoings of today? I'm struggling with these and cannot figure it out
>>
>>18539295
Hey, ill definitely check them out! thanks a lot!
>>18539301
I'm not sure exactly what that is, could you explain?
>>18539287
Hi fellow OP
>>18539309
I'm hoping to learn this too. Ive always been spiritual and want to learn to be content with my life and accept it for what it is. I struggled with depression for a long time, and through it I just learned to keep looking for meaning and not giving up.
I think the same would apply to you, look for a reason and keep trying. Don't give up, and don't let the world crush you
>>
>>18539295
op again, just looked into everything you mentioned and just want to thank you again. You included so much helpful stuff!
>>
>>18539279
>>18539301
By the way, I'm not gay or anything. Just wanted to make that clear.
>>
>>18539335
You're welcome, good luck in your studies. There are many other texts you could check out, as you could get something from many of them. Edward Conze has a book "Buddhist Scriptures" which includes, as he says, material that few Buddhists would be prepared to reject. They include legends about the Buddha himself, Buddhist cosmology, ideology and philosophy, and more. I think Penguin is the publisher. You may be able to find a pdf of it online.

The Tibetan Book of the Dead is a very, very good primary source, but it runs the risk of not being very accessible to newcomers. You can almost definitely find translations of it online. It includes Tibetan teachings on the impermanence of life and Tibetan Buddhist approaches to understanding death. Most importantly, it treats the constant threat of death as an impetus to integrating mindfulness and meditative practice into every aspect of living. It may include many unfamiliar terms, so an edition with a glossary would be helpful. Also "The Words of My Perfect Teacher" is a classic.
>>
>>18539336
WTF? Don't flatter yourself OP!
>>
>>18539380
I'm real Op. Wasn't me
>>18539367
You seem very very well versed on the subject. Are you an active Buddhist? How long have you studied? Has it improved your life? And most importantly, how do you balance it with the rest of your life? Can I be a good Buddhist while having a girlfriend and attending school?
>>
>>18539383
Fucking homophobe. What's your problem?
>>
>>18539336
Mahamudra is a system that combines the entire Buddhist worldview into tools that you can use to navigate and guide yourself through life. It is also used by The Dalai Lama.
>>
File: ptjkcgkl.jpg (12KB, 302x361px) Image search: [Google]
ptjkcgkl.jpg
12KB, 302x361px
>>
>>18539309
You can be aware of, understand, and know the suffering of the world, but you can choose to be affected by it or not.
If you are not moved by evil then you have the power and motivation to reduce the suffering of the world.
Suffering doesnt have to be abstract.
You can smile to someone on the street or just wish someone a good day.
>>18539383
Are you an active Buddhist? yes
How long have you studied? ~6 years
Has it improved your life? yes
And most importantly, how do you balance it with the rest of your life? Suchness
Can I be a good Buddhist while having a girlfriend and attending school?
Of course.

First let go of the concept buddhist. Such object doesnt exist, except in your own mind as a mental projection.
When you think you see a 'buddhist' you project properties on that object, but you think that those properties exist independly from your mind, wich causes expectations and when your expectations arent met or not according to how you imagined it then you experience negative emotions and lose motivation.
>>
>>18539497
External phenomena and internal phenomena have the same nature.
Mahamudra tries to explain the relationship between reality and mind to reduce negative emotions and eventually a true stopping of all disturbances in the mind.
>>
As I understand it there are many schools of Buddhism following different incarnations of Buddha. Each incarnation fitting a certain personality trait/mission that people have in this incarnation. After you read up on the basics it would be interesting to look into which one suits you the best.
>>
>>18539397
Not a homophobe. I just have a partner. >>18539497
Let go of expectations and don't assume anything. Its probably better to go into readings without any predetermined expectations or feelings
>>
>>18539543
Indeed. and you need to start at the basics and then go further. In Mahamudra everything is organised in order. If you read randomly texts you get confused.
>>
>>18539207
Practice the way of life an you may know the route to Buddhism.,
>>
>>18539207
All religions are control systems. You're better off looking inwards for enlightenment than you are following an establishment slave system.
>>
>>18539562
*For all man is, upon the knowledge of things,~ equal*
>>
>>18539561
Knowledge in the world is infinite. So mahamudra rejects worldly knowledge and uses the innate wisdom of the buddha mind in combination with compassion and love to achieve Liberation or Nirvana
>>
>>18539569
where you think that end game is 'Nivana'
Read again.
>*For all man is, upon the knowledge of things,~ equal*
>>
Se... omissions.
>>
File: Macle.jpg (69KB, 2089x1497px) Image search: [Google]
Macle.jpg
69KB, 2089x1497px
>>18539569
Knowledge of this realm is already written, you come to establishe its rule.
>>
>>18539566
mahamudra neither rejects that religion is bad nor good. Since everything is projection of your mind you cant judge any one. All mahamudra does is teach you how your mind works and its relation to karma according to the law of cause and effect.
>>18539586
Nirvana is no nirvana. so there is no nirvana to attain. Nirvana has no causes. But to realize there is no attaining nor any realization is true Liberation.
>>
>>18539602
You judge your self upon the manifestations whereas it can be to late...
An peace is mans tobe gotten... se.
>>
So really you are ignoring thee other equasion, regardless.
>>
>>18539497

I understand. But how does one actually achieve the skill of being able to acknowledge: "yeah, we're fucked and the world's gone to shit, but it doesn't bother me because I'm beyond that.", meditation?
>>
>>18539629
Your verb is obviously not beyond the realm of understandings#
>>
File: dailyzen.png (91KB, 1348x625px) Image search: [Google]
dailyzen.png
91KB, 1348x625px
>>18539309
>>18539317
According to the Zen tradition, each individual must strive to maintain the right mindfulness and concentration, which can be done through meditation.
>>
>>18539658
concentration and mindfulness alone isnt enough. You need analytical meditation as well to gain insights into the nature of phenomena to establish what is reality and what is delusion.
Also one needs pure conduct and ethics, compassion and love, and wisdom to follow the middle way.

The Buddha only stops meditating when he is asked for help.
>>18539629
Life is neither all doom and gloom, nor all rainbows and sunshines.
Life is difficult, but by negative emotions we make life even more harder then it could be. Mahamudra meditation reduces the gross and subtle levels of negative emotions through concentration on the 3 aspects of mind.
Emptiness or co-interdependency.
Clearness. The phenomena that the mind projects out of emptiness or voidness.
Awareness the being aware of the clearness of mind.
>>
>>18539207
>Any idea of where to start, or how to help someone who is new to learn of the ways?

Get your ass on a pillow and meditate.

Meditation is the heart of buddhism, it should be the main focus of your practice.
Without meditation, buddhism becomes an intellectual exercise as any other religion.

t. zen practitioner
>>
>>18539561
Very interesting. For mahamadara, what are the steps? I imagine the basics are learning of Buddha, his teachings and proper meditation. But what is there past that?
>>
>>18539753
I have meditated. But I'm wondering of thoughts and teachings. I'm not sure that through meditation alone I can reach the higher level. I feel that there must be something to learn, to understand. A step on the path to meditate upon.
>>
>>18539737

thank you. I really appreciate the help
>>
>>18539586
>>18539568
Can someone explain this quote?
>>
>>18539775
>I'm not sure that through meditation alone I can reach the higher level.

You don't meditate to reach anything. There is no aim in meditation, no higher level. All those things are mental concepts. Meditation cuts through them.

It is summarized in the heart sutra:

http://plumvillage.org/news/thich-nhat-hanh-new-heart-sutra-translation/

I would recommend that you read:

Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism by Chögyam Trungpa.

This explains a bit the anatomy of the ego, and also what spiritual materials vs. real buddhist practice is. I would say that book is a must.
>>
>>18539812
Thank you! Just like everything the other wonderful people in the thread have posted and recommended I will read it.
>>
>>18539819

One more thing.

Meditation has to be learned in the presence and from someone who already knows how to meditate. There is no way around that.
>>
>>18539737
>concentration and mindfulness alone isnt enough.
Obviously not, and that is not what I was implying. The guy was trying to ask how to maintain a healthy state of mind, and as a practitioner of Zen, my answer is naturally that it begins with meditation.
>>
"to be happy, one must look upon any act as the best thing that could've happened to them"

So if I'm walking down the street and trip and fall, breaking my nose, I'm suppose to get up, smile, and think to myself "this is fine, it's the best thing that could've happened."

This isn't ment to be a joke. I purchased the book "Zen and the Art of Happiness" and this is one of the subjects it touches on.
>>
>>18539834
I think so actually. That kind makes sense. It could have been worse. And brings about whole new opportunities with people and conversation you never had before. Possibly a new perspective or insight.
>>18539831
Why can't it be practiced alone, and how would I find a teacher? Does it have to be in person?
>>
>>18539892
He's fucking with you, there are plenty of people who meditate after reading about it online. Find some tutorials on Youtube and just do it.
>>
>>18539911
I've meditated before. I know how too. I just was confused as to how it would be any different then what I've done in the past
>>
>>18539892
>how would I find a teacher?

Literally anyone who knows how to meditate, doesn't have to be a monk.

>>18539892
>Does it have to be in person?

Yes. I mean I tried doing it on my own, but the quality of meditation improved x100 after learning it.

>>18539911
>Find some tutorials on Youtube and just do it.

People still attend classes, when they could learn exactly the same on youtube. Some subtle aspects cannot be passed on video.
>>
>>18539207

At the moment I practice Shugendō Buddhism. Bit of a mish mash, rather folksy, and a tad much for most folks tastes, but it feels the most natural to me. Was lucky enough to encounter a shugenja awhile back and felt the universe give a tug at my sleeve. The peace is real, rather like being stoned to the bone 24/7.
>>
>>18539935
What's the difference between the different branches? What does yours believe or practice differently?
>>
>>18539974

Shugendō stresses physical endurance as the path to enlightenment. The whole sitting under a waterfall, going bareassed in cold weather, etc, and meditating deal. There's some Tantric practice, animism, shamanism, ascetic practices, Taoist magic, and Chinese mysticism mixed in. A large part of it in particular pertains to mountains being sacred. I can't say for sure what the differences are in a large amount of other sects since I never felt the call to study them in-depth, but Shugendō is more of a trail mix way of spiritual development.
>>
File: TheWayOfZen.jpg (19KB, 225x346px) Image search: [Google]
TheWayOfZen.jpg
19KB, 225x346px
>>18539207
>Any idea of where to start
Read The Way of Zen by Alan Watts. It also briefly goes over Taoism, and it's influence on Zen Buddhism.
>>
>>18539207
I'm not a buddhist. but I find this enlightening (from diamond sutra, chapter 32):

“Like a tiny drop of dew, or a bubble floating in a stream;
Like a flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
Or a flickering lamp, an illusion, a phantom, or a dream.”

“So is all conditioned existence to be seen.”
>>
>>18539207
In my opinion the best way to start is through self observation.

for example, being honest with yourself about your complexes and defects. Buddhism is very psychological and involves awareness and concentration. since it involves a true path to realization it is one of honesty, truth and understanding.

so if anywhere it is to start by observing yourself from within. all the projections, blame, fear, excuses etc etc.
>>
>>18539769
Mahamudra takes a gradual path.
First it introduces the teachings for the lower motivation (Hinayana buddhism like Theravada)
Second it gives teachings for the middle motivation. (Mahayana buddhism like Zen)
Third it gives teachings for the middle to higher motivation. (Vajrayana buddhism)

The subjects of the gradual path are:
-How to find and rely on a spiritual friend
-The gross and subtle workings of karma
-Using karma as a basic motivation
-Taking refuge in Buddha, Dharma, Sangha
-How to adjust body, speech, and mind in accordence with the law of cause and effect(karma)
-The 4 noble truths
-How to refute nihilism and eternalism and establishing the middle view of inter-dependence
-Taking Buddha nature as a strong motivation
-How to train the mind in 8-fold path
-The 5 wisdoms of Buddha
-How to use mantras to train the mind
-The 2 truths of conventional and ultimate reality
-How to see yourself as a Buddha

Mahamudra meditation focuses on the mind itself and its intimate relation with the world of conventional appearances and with voidness to establish a deep understanding in non-duality.

The basics are kind a like Zen meditation. Making the mind more calm and relaxed and getting a basic understanding nature of mind.
The advanced meditation is about understanding the deepest nature of mind and it's creative primordial energy.

However to understand something, you must first have an idea of it. So first you learn the theory, then you apply that theory practically in your meditation to non-conceptually understand nature of mind.
>>
>>18539309
Not really to shut yourself out, more to acknowledge that it's there and then to understand the futility of letting yourself be very affected by it. I suppose it could be called a form of ignorance, but not the normal one where you stick your fingers in your ears and go "lalala".
>>
>>18541271
Mahamudra actually is made of 4 parts based on the 4 noble truths.

1. training in awareness and the nature of suffering.
2. training in seeing the causes of suffering
3. training in the stopping of the causes of suffering.
4. the results of stopping the causes of suffering and further training in the final true stopping of all suffering.

1, 2, 3 are achieved by
-Having the correct motivation and determination to remove suffering.

-based on that motivation, understanding the nature of mind on both a conventional and deep reality and the relationship between the two.

-based on that understanding of mind, work to remove negative habits, negative emotions, negative speech, and negative actions.

4 is the results of achieving 1, 2, and 3
-Realizing true nature of mind and all phenomena.
-Realizing clear-light of mind
-The lack of disturbences in the mind
-Innate joy, hapiness, mental stability and bliss.
-A final true stopping of all suffering
-Buddhahood

The 4 parts are actually done 3 times:
-First to reduce gross levels of negative emotions, the result of that is achieving conceptual temporary Buddhahood

-Second to reduce subtle levels of negative emotions, the result of that is achieving non-conceptual temporary Buddhahood

-Third to combine conceptual and non-conceptual Buddhahood as a tool to transform the mind into true permanent Buddhahood

The mahamudra can also be described as a relation to Buddha the following steps:
*Becoming aware of outer or external Buddha
*Using external Buddha as motivation
*Making external Buddha clear (deep understanding
of what Buddha actually means)

*Becoming aware of inner or internal Buddha
*Using internal Buddha as motivation
*Making internal Buddha clear

*Combining external and internal Buddha to become aware of secret or non-dual Buddha
*Making non-dual Buddha clear

external Buddha is that wich represents both the 'image' of Buddha and all phenomena 'external' to your mind. (contents of the experience)
>>
File: shantideva.gif (65KB, 562x599px) Image search: [Google]
shantideva.gif
65KB, 562x599px
>>18541480
Internal Buddha is that wich represents the true you and your potential, including all the phenomena internal to your mind. (the experience itself)

non-dual Buddha is combining the external and internal Buddha to gain direct insight into the empty nature of all existence. (the mind being aware of the mind itself)

Very briefly the overview of Mahamudra is:
1. Learning conceptually about reality and the mind
2. Concentration meditation instructions to calm the mind
3. Actually meditating to calm the mind
4. Practicing post-meditation to stay calm in day to day life.
4. Analysis Meditation instructions to analyse the mind.
5. Actually meditating to non-conceptually understand reality and the mind.
6. Practicing post-meditation to be aware of the nature of mind in day to day life.
7. removing the duality between meditation and non-meditation.
8. Constant and effortless 24/7 meditation.
>>
>>18541271
>>18541480
>>18541483

This is all vajrayana stuff. I wouldn't go there before having some serious experience with meditation. Otherwise you'll just get more confused.

I would start with a meditation routine. Once you have some background meditation experience, you'll be able to understand and relate to those vajrayana texts better.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.