[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paganism/Christianity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 14

File: odin.jpg (90KB, 473x600px) Image search: [Google]
odin.jpg
90KB, 473x600px
I am a norse pagan from sweden

And I am asking any christian here why I should be a christian?
What is so good about your religion?
>>
>>18534385
Christ is the alpha male we should strive to be.
His mastery of reflection and self reflection as of yet knows no equal. Never ditch your own religion, for it is yours. I do recommend learning the style of Jesus.
>>
>>18534391
Pretty much this.
He's the Magician from the book of Hermes, he draws power from above and below and masters all trades.
Other religions also tell tales of Jesus, Osiris, Krishna; all of them bearing striking similarities to the hero-god that is Jesus.
>>
I'm not a Christian, but I will say that the hegemonic position their religion has occupied in much of the world for quite a while now means there are enormous amounts of potentially interesting Christian literature and other media.
>>
You should kill yourself you fucking faggot
>>
>>18534385
religions are stories we once told to answer the unanswerable. Our way of being able to find comfort in the fact that our only real promise (This very waking moment that you are experiencing right now) is not all for nothing.
>>
>>18534385
All religions are equally paganic. There is no need for controversy.
>>
File: upstream.png (158KB, 300x216px) Image search: [Google]
upstream.png
158KB, 300x216px
>>18534385
What if mental objects, like thoughts and indeed religions, have a time arrow that runs in the opposite direction of the material world?

The thoughts come from the future. So that the earliest beliefs are expressions of the last events.
>>
>>18534495
Would that mean a reverse ragnarok could happen bringing us in a world of legends?
>>
>>18534478
Christianity and Abrahamic religions are not Pagan in any way, shape or form, you fucking dingus.
>>
>>18534519
The Egyptians are coming back. The oldest next to the Sumerian pantheon.

The First will be the Last, and the Last will be the First.

Will it culminate in the J man himself.

Who knows.

All it takes is AI meta-brains, time-travel and transcended ubermensch to start a time loop.

Maybe the ancients foresaw our current times and tried to make sense of it all.

Who knows.
>>
>>18534391
Its funny because this is exactly how Christian Missionaries portrayed Jesus when they went to convert germanic people in the Middle ages.

Missionaries figured the only way to impress pagans was to make their Christian figures seem as badass and violent as possible. They really wanted to convert these people, didn't even matter if they were preaching a twisted view of Christianity.
>>
>>18534478

> "Pagan is derived from the Late Latin paganus, which was used at the end of the Roman Empire to name those who practiced a religion other than Christianity, Judaism, or Islam."
>>
>>18534385
is great dude, Christianity is the only religion that believes you will be punished for your sinful thoughts, even if they never become actions
twice the guilt , twice the desperate servitude to make up for it
>>
>>18534763
It's not really twisted though.
Christ is the betrayed hero-God that sacrifices himself for the good of his friends, is resurrected and raised into glory and rulership above all gods and will return to crush his enemies underfoot that their blood runs for miles as a river a man cannot stand in, while the earth is cleansed by fire.
It is from that position that the offer of mercy and redemption is extended to all humanity.
>>
>>18535135
Even more, I forgot to add, that all those that would join themselves to him and show their loyalty, he would also raise up into glory and rulership.

It is a message that can resonate naturally with the germanic soul when you take away all the baggage of latin tradition.
>>
>>18535135
>>18535211

I mean, what you are saying is technically true, But like I said, If you emphasize different parts of a narrative, you can make any ideology sound VERY different from its main message.

Christianity is also a religion of promoting pacifism, charity, vows of poverty, ect. That's the main gist of the teachings of Christ. But yes, no missionary back then would go out of their way to mention this part when converting pagans, since it would be a very hard sell to Germanic cultures. Usually they waited till later to introduce this part.

Also on a side note, Armageddon isn't even a unique concept to Christianity. Norse mythos has Ragnarok, which is basically the same thing, except more violent.
>>
>>18534385
it's not everyone's bag
>>
>>18535312
demmit
>>
>>18534385
you shouldn't. just keep on doing what you've been doing.
>>
>>18535306
>Christianity is also a religion of promoting pacifism, charity, vows of poverty, ect.
That's actually incidental. The main gist of Christ's actual mission is given in John 12;31-32: Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out. And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all unto me.

The point being, that the time of the exile (of both Israel and the nations) is over and all must repent and return unto God, because the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Peace with and acting decently towards your fellow man must naturally follow, because that is the will of God, who will not have you have any gods beside him, as given in his law.

Also
>Ragnarok, which is basically the same thing, except more violent
>more violent
It's like you haven't even read the book of revelation. Do you even monstrous horse-sized scorpion-tailed locusts torturing people unwilling to follow God for five months followed by an army of 200 million horrible, firebreathing monsters killing a third of humanity and yet it still isn't over?
>>
>>18534385
I am a cathar from Belgium.

And I am asking any pagan here why I should be a pagan?
What is so good about your religion?
>>
>>18538666
pagan isn't a religion, it was a term used by ancient Rome to describe any non Abraham rooted religeons
some cultures use it for any faith based on nature
and still others use it to describe any western religeon that they don't understand
>>
>>18534771
It is retained in the french word paien, meaning he who lives in the countryside. Similarly the reason why Gaulish survived until the 6th century AD, it was still spoken in the countryside while the cities spoke mainly vulgar Latin.

Also the pre-Christian pagans sacrificed both animals and humans to their gods, especially the Celts, but also Germanics and Slavs.

Modern "pagans" are LARPing fags who don't have a clue.

Witchburning for example, was a pagan common practice which the Church actually tried to eradicate during the first 1500 years of their existance. In the 16-17th century they allowed it as an act of populism, it was the peasantry who demanded it, and they saw it as a part of the reformation on Catholic side, and fundamentalism mixed with superstition on the Protestant side.

Speaking of superstition, these are all remnants of pagan practices. Hence why Slavs, especially East-Slavs, are much more superstitious than Western Europeans. I can confirm, I've been with 2 Russian gfs. Slavs got christianised much later than Celts and Germanics, hence a lot more pagan practices survived as folk beliefs.
>>
If you don't worship Jesus then you worship the devil.
>>
>>18538682
All pre-Christian "pagan" religions were pretty similar. Hence there were few religious conflicts and it was easy for pagan Celts to adopt the set of names brought by conquering Romans or Germanics. In Belgium here, the Belgic (Celtic/Celto-Germanic) pagan holy places are retained in Germanic when the Franks made it their homeland. There is a lot to be found, because although Clovis converted early, this was mostly a political move and the common people remained largely pagan. Proof of this is that my coastal province had to be rechristianized 3 times between 400 and 900 AD. The local girls threw St-Amandus in the river when he tried it.

A lot of or names either retain the Germanic pagan holy place-names (Torhout, Wijndale [Wijn = Wodan here], Ardennes eg.) or they switched the pagan deity names by Christian ones (Winnebrugge became St-Michiels-Brugge ; Winneseik [Wodan's oak] became Jezuseik).

The tribes too, the Gallic Eburones who were conquered by Caesar came back under the Germanic name Toxandri, both names mean "people of the taxus tree". Many references to ever-green trees and plants in place-names were pagan holy places.
>>
File: 1460658170029.jpg (2MB, 3000x2016px) Image search: [Google]
1460658170029.jpg
2MB, 3000x2016px
>>18538685

Yeah its interesting how some superstitions like Witch-burning were integrated into Christianity as a result of converting various Polytheistic tribes and cultures. Most major "Pagan" groups, (From the Norse and Slavs to Berbers and Bedouins) Practiced some form of idolatry, and believed there was power in physical objects.

This is why you began to see an increased prevalence of "Holy Relics" (Bones of Saints, teeth, Chalices ect.) thru the Middle Ages. The practice of obtaining Holy relics was adopted to make it easier for pagan groups to integrate into Christianity. Most needed something physical to worship, since the idea of worshiping some invisible guy without the aid of any totems or statues was a very alien concept.

So most missionaries kind've shrugged their shoulders and said "sure have some relics whatever helps you guys become Christian"

Over the centuries this practice became very commonplace, and it is actually a very common modern misconception that Relics have any sort of TRUE religious significance.

>Side Fact: Idk if it was Clovis I, or one of his successors (Might've been Childebert I) but some Merovingian King literally had +800 relics in his collection, since he believed it gave him power.

The Catholic Church is actually in a bit of an awkward position currently. The upper ecehlons of the Church recognize that Holy Relics shouldn't really be a thing anymore, But haven't come out and said anything Officially on the matter. Doing so would probably cause a decent uproar, since people to this day still imprint a ton of significance onto these items.
>>
>>18538720

Yeah It took a long to time even truly "convert" the Franks. It took even longer to convert some groups like the Bretons on the Armorican Peninsula (Brittany).

Clovis himself was pretty much Christian in name only. Dude was also pretty brutal.

>Be reading an account of how some of his soldiers were looting an abbey as he was passing by.

>Clovis sees this and tells the men that they wouldn't be taking any personal loot, all the spoils were going to him.
>"That Guy" complains to Clovis that he wasn't being fair.
>Clovis, irate, orders all the men to Lineup, he was going to do a surprise inspection.
>Clovis proceeds to walk down the line inspecting soldiers till he reaches the man who complained.
>Clovis pulls the guys helmet off of his head
>Clovis drops the helmet on the ground.
>Clovis tells That Guy to bend over and pick up his helmet.
>As That Guy bends down, Clovis proceeds to use his axe to smash the back of the man's head in.

Still, Gregory of Tours and later writers definitely tried their best to make it seem like he was the most pious man to ever live.
>>
You shouldn't. Religion is one of the reasons we've lost 15 centuries of evolution
>>
File: 1445551811359.jpg (20KB, 720x142px) Image search: [Google]
1445551811359.jpg
20KB, 720x142px
>>18534385
>>
>>18534385
Pros of worshipping Yahweh:
1) Best chance of having a good afterlife
2) Probably the most powerful deity that humans know about
3) Large global community
4) Church is a good place to meet conservative qts

Cons:
1) Yahweh doesnt really get too involved in the material world
2) Yahweh doesnt like it if you worship other gods at the same time

However, if you are a Catholic, there are certain Saints that could fulfill the role of certain Pagan Gods. That being said, I think that Yahweh doesnt approve of praying to Saints and what not
>>
You pagan because you like the lifestyle and think it's badass to worship badass gods(and hey, no disputing the norse gods are badass), but you can't tell me you actually believe in that shit? it's one thing for a monotheist to believe there might be a creator of the universe but a whole other thing to believe in a guy with a hammer that causes the lighting to appear and that earthquakes are caused by Loki screaming while acid drips into his face, come the fuck on.
>>
>>18540079
Yahweh is not the same god as the Christian god.

http://contradictionsinthebible.com/are-yahweh-and-el-the-same-god/
>>
>>18540145
Thats an interesting read, although it might be a translational error
>>
File: pearl cringe.jpg (39KB, 371x457px) Image search: [Google]
pearl cringe.jpg
39KB, 371x457px
>>18534391
>died a virgin
>alpha male
>>
File: 1477260796067.jpg (452KB, 2206x1241px) Image search: [Google]
1477260796067.jpg
452KB, 2206x1241px
>>18539268
>So most missionaries kind've shrugged their shoulders and said "sure have some relics whatever helps you guys become Christian"
This is why nobody respects Christianity. It's a religion built on lies and manipulation.

As a pagan, I would never tell anyone lies about what I believe. I would never tell them anything I do not personally believe. How sad, that your "religion" (can we honestly even call it that?) must stoop to such shameful deceit and dishonor...
>>
File: 1477454173305.png (665KB, 920x960px) Image search: [Google]
1477454173305.png
665KB, 920x960px
>>18541040
>Cringereaction
>Steven universe
>>
File: this fucking clod.jpg (14KB, 480x408px) Image search: [Google]
this fucking clod.jpg
14KB, 480x408px
>>18541058
>not liking Steven Universe
>>
File: izanami-izanagi.jpg (55KB, 650x747px) Image search: [Google]
izanami-izanagi.jpg
55KB, 650x747px
>>18540289
Regardless of whether or not it's an error, it doesn't really matter. Christianity stems from Judaism, which itself just stole a bunch of ideas from Zoroastrianism and other Sumerian religions. The Christian god is no more or less valid than Odin, or Vishnu, or anything else. The way I see it, there's two ways to look at religion:

1. Humanity's basic, animal fear of death led people to create myths of afterlifes and deities as a coping mechanism, or as primitive ways to explain the world. This is the argument you'll usually hear from atheists.

2. Animal life has shown us time and time again that knowledge can be passed down through generations, without needing to be taught (i.e. instinct). Well, what if human instinct is right and there IS some sort of god and afterlife? Maybe that's why so many religions have uncanny similarities in their mythological stories, even the ones created without outside influence. We may have some sort of vague, general understanding of a pantheon, but because it's genetic coding our imagination has to fill in the rest. In which case, it doesn't really matter if you worship Christ or Zeus or Izanami.

tl;dr worship whoever you want (unless the religion is an obvious sham, like scientology or Islam, because then you're just wasting your time)
>>
>>18541040
>thinking with your head and not your other head
>not falling for some egyptian pussy
alpha as fuck. he didn't need sex he was already a man at birth.
>>
>>18534385
>>18541131
As far as I can tell almost all gods are real. They aren't all powerful like the Christian god, but like very powerful spirits. The Jews have theirs. The Christians worship the Jewish one and have a cult to his mystic son. The Muslims worship him in some bastardized cult combined with Zoroastrian beliefs.
>>
>>18541150
>he was already a man at birth
Mary gave birth to a full grown man? Damn, no wonder people called her a whore, her pussy must have been cavernous.
>>
>>18541166
naw b
mentally he was a man
>>
File: 1421995278860.jpg (62KB, 492x545px) Image search: [Google]
1421995278860.jpg
62KB, 492x545px
>>18541156
So what makes the Christian god so much more powerful than the others? If gods and spirits draw their power from collective belief, then I could understand that. But aside from that, there's no particular reason why Yahweh should be any more powerful than another god.

>>18541173
>mentally he was a man
Must have been hell for him to be a baby, constantly shitting himself and throwing up all over his mom, and not being able to do a damn thing about it.
>>
>>18541199
it was an NDE and he met god in the astral plane.
that's why he's so alpha
>>
>>18539268
look up Polycarp. The relics have been a thing since the very beginning of Christianity. The idea that they were pagan elements is a misconception derived from faulty protestant theology that has rejected the so-called "communion of saints"
>>
>>18541199
I would argue that he isn't significantly more powerful than other gods, except in areas specifically devoted to him, like Israel
>>
>>18541239
Well then one needs to make a distinction between the Hebrew god and the Christian god. Try as Christians might to say that the gods are the same, they are clearly different entities. Jehovah makes a complete 180° shift in personality from the Old Testament to the New. You can chalk that up to the whole "new covenant" thing, but that's not sufficient.

The two gods represent completely different sets of values, and a god who's picky enough to single out a tiny tribe in the desert to inherit the earth, then suddenly go "lol nvm guys you're not special anymore everyone gets in" is a bit too coincidental. So that leaves us with two gods. The god of the Jews, and the god of the Gentiles, which is basically just Christ, since he's the focal point of the entire. And considering that Christians outnumber Jews, I'd say Yahweh is the smaller deity, even on his home turf (especially since you always have tons of Christians flocking to Jerusalem every year).

I guess that's why Jews have to rely on subterfuge and other countries' help to get anything done.
>>
>>18541476
I think that the Christian god is still Yahweh, but Jesus and his followers chose to accept others. Also Alexander the Great was legally a god and a deity in like 3 religions
>>
>>18541156

The christian god isn't all-powerful either. He just claims to be while being essentially impotent.
>>
>>18543333
Jealous god can't be good
>>
>>18534385
There is nothing good about their god brother. He forces us to suppress our nature, he is infanticidal, jealous, wrathful, and lacks any sort of compassion.

He also hates those of non Hebrew lineage.
>>
>>18545304
He forces us to be universalists instead of tribalist. He teaches that we should accept being wronged instead setting it right. He teaches us to abandon kin in favor of members of the church. He teaches a people other than our own are the chosen people. He acknowledged many gods until the second temple, when Zoroastrian influence took hold.
>>
File: 1453648196363.jpg (62KB, 395x363px) Image search: [Google]
1453648196363.jpg
62KB, 395x363px
>>18541221

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarp

I don't see how he's relevant to Holy Relics.

I'm also not saying that certain objects like the Nails used in the Crucifixion (Which may or may not be legit) weren't preserved early on.

I am saying that these objects at the time were preserved for their HISTORICAL significance, not because they thought these items had religious power and should be worshiped.

The Religious significance of Relics was only attributed later in the Middle Ages. The importance of these objects, like I said, was imposed upon them by others. They weren't intrinsically special.

There is no true power in these relics, and having them around runs the risk of people practicing idolatry, which does go against Christian values.

I'm also fairly certain there is nowhere in the Bible that talks about the existence of Holy Relics either.
>>
>>18543333
Kek confirms. Kek is a god himself, and much older, and probably knows and is tired as fuck of Yahweh's shit.
>>
File: norwegian church.png (768KB, 747x821px) Image search: [Google]
norwegian church.png
768KB, 747x821px
>chr*stians
>>
>>18534391
Christ is no alpha male he was the original beta.
>>
>>18534385
Hellenistic pagan here, don't listen to the christcucks, they will just lie, either outright or by omission, in order to get you to worship their bloodthirsty, monstrous war god. Just read the bible and see how fucked up YHWH is for yourself, without their biased cherry picking.

>God is good and loves you! Just ignore the parts where he kills innocent children, demanded animal and human sacrifice, condones slavery, incest, and genocide. Also ignore the parts where he says you should be executed for wearing more than one type of fabric, or have more than one type of crop in the same field. And DEFINITELY don't question the fact that he threatens unending torture if you don't act like an obedient little bitch and suck his cock for eternity!

>>18534537
Yes, they are. They initially started as Henotheistic, meaning they believed in multiple gods, but chose to worship one exclusively. The Canaanite pantheon, in this case. It was only much later that they began to claim that he was the ONLY god, and thus giving rise to monotheism. Remnants of this truth can be found in the wording of the bible itself.
>Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness...
Right there, not to mention the blatant plagiarism of the Sumerian stories on several counts, most notably the flood.
>inb4 "hurr, using the royal 'we', doesn't mean plural
Royal "we" wasn't a thing until late 12 century, and the earliest translations of the bible still use the plural form in their respective languages for that passage.
>>
>>18541199
>So what makes the Christian god so much more powerful than the others? If gods and spirits draw their power from collective belief, then I could understand that. But aside from that, there's no particular reason why Yahweh should be any more powerful than another god.

Christian god isn't powerful, people just think he is. Take Aesculapius for example, the Greek God of health and healing, was one that encouraged the study of medicine, and his most famous follower was Hippocrates, aka "The Father of Medicine", the source of the Hippocratic oath, and the layer of the foundations that became modern medicine as we know it. Aesculapius was also the father of Hygieia, the goddess of health, cleanliness, and hygiene, which everyone knows is the biggest factor in personal health.

Humans have always battled with illness, and Aesculapius gave us what we needed to fight it. The Bible says that sickness is caused by demons and can be cured by prayer. Guess which method has a higher success rate?

I think it's pretty clear which gods are truly the more powerful.
>>
File: herasees.jpg (24KB, 221x228px) Image search: [Google]
herasees.jpg
24KB, 221x228px
Don't forget. Jesus thinks your a faggot.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.