[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

totally irrational fear of time clocks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: s-l400.jpg (9KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
s-l400.jpg
9KB, 400x400px
Time clocks (like the kind that you punch in with at work) fill me with an inexplicable dread. I'm really not sure why - can anyone fucking help me out here? Is this some kind of Fruedian "molested by a time clock" thing?

I didn't used to be afraid of them, if that matters. It just kind of vaguely happened over the course of 10 years or so. I'm really freaked out by them now and it obviously fucks with my life a lot. Lots of good career opportunities have been blown by this.

(Before the inevitable jokes - no, I'm not lazy/black/on welfare/whatever. In fact I have to take on lots of under-the-table jobs in order to hold on to funds. I do not want to become some kind of gov't leech.)

So is there some kind of magic ritual or whatever to help me out here? I'll try anything. I don't believe in magic but I'm not some douchey skeptic with a chip on my shoulder either.
>>
how exactly do they make you feel? what negative feelings do they conjure up?
>>
>>18532515
This. Be specific OP, is it like the type of fear when you see a spider, or the type of fear when you're in danger? When was the first time you got freaked out at work?
>>
>>18531749
Wow Chronos/Cronus got ya fucked up

Perhaps some sort of Sigil/Spell and Time punches are the recall.
>>
I thought I was the only one... fuck clocks. I hate them when they tick and when they change numbers if they're digital. Just fuck clocks.
>>
>>18533396
I thought it was Kronos
>>
This is incredible OP
10/10
>>
>>18533510
Its just a translation thing senpai
>>
>>18532515
>>18533374
It's actually a very specific type of feeling...like this totally vague feeling of dread and fear associated with a time clock, but it's like there's no rhyme or reason to it.

A few years ago I was in the hospital with a heart problem. They gave me some sort of drug that chemically restarts your heart rate while you're still awake (not a defibrillator - I was awake while they administered it). The doctor warned me that my body or nervous system would probably think I was having a heart attack, so there was a chance that I would feeling the warning signs of a heart attack, one of which is an intense feeling of "impending doom" as he put it. Like your brain somehow knows you're about to die. And basically, this feeling, even though she told me ahead of time, felt extremely similar to the one that time clocks give me - that something very bad and utterly frightening is going to happen. But it's different with time clocks.

As for when it started, I don't really know. It was such a gradual change...at first it started as just regular anxiety I guess, but over the years it escalated to the point it's at now.
>>
>>18531749
>>18533803
what's the scariest time to punch in
>>
>>18533803
I have the exact same feeling about furnaces. Like just the sight of them gives this sensation that something is about to go horribly wrong - its like looking at something spooky - you're terrified, but it isnt hurting you and you can't look away.
>>
>>18533803
>at first it started as just regular anxiety I guess, but over the years it escalated to the point it's at now.
phobias can do that. they can kinda snowball.

some questions to ask yourself that might give you a clue as to what's going on:
are you ever late?
have you ever had a time when you punched in late and the consequences were really bad?
how do you feel about other clocks? what about setting alarms?
>>
>>18534859
I wouldn't say there's a specific time because just the act of punching in is usually too much for me.

>>18535410
Yeah, I feel you. Both are very mechanical and monolithic. I don't like furnaces either.

>>18535495
I've called out sick a lot of times at a lot of jobs but there haven't been a lot of notable cases where I was late. I've gotten chewed out for missing days at pretty much every job I've ever had, but not really specifically for being late.

I have no problem with other types of clocks probably because I'm not touching them, typing in some employee number or touching some little fingerprint reader.
>>
>>18536527
>probably because I'm not touching them, typing in some employee number or touching some little fingerprint reader.
so maybe it's a germ thing or possibly a privacy thing, or both
>>
went searching online for employee time clock phobias and i didn't find anything notable but i found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUeuP8SqBNA

comments are disabled and it has a 50/50 dislike ratio for such a minor inoffensive video
>>
>>18536585
look at this from the related videos, what the fuck?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge2DY8zwSkc
maybe it's just because I'm on /x/ but this vid gives me the fuckin creeps. wtf is all over this bitch's sleeve? dried blood? why are her fingers so long??
>>
>>18535495
They snowball with extreme prejudice.
>>
File: Clock King.jpg (205KB, 500x786px) Image search: [Google]
Clock King.jpg
205KB, 500x786px
>>18531749
OP, it's called Chronomentrophobia it's related to the fear of time passing and related to the fear of death.

You'll be fine.
>>
>>18536552
>>18536669
OP specifically said it was a fear of those Kronos timeclocks, like you can find at any job?
>>
>>18536680
My bad.

Then it's chronoergomentrophobia.
>>
>>18536669
>You'll be fine.
Except he'll die. Sooner or later.
>>
>>18536716
I'm glass half full kind of guy.

There's nothing wrong with him dying.
>>
My girlfriend's dad worked for Kronos in the 80s (I think) before he retired, does anyone have any questions they want me to try and pass on? I'm bored.
>>
>>18531749

Your body is filled with genetic memory of the distinct truth of organic portals doing all our work for us and reality being created out of thought, this is a safety mechanism so no real person wastes time in trash jobs.
>>
>>18531749
use an ouiji board to put the spirit of a dead girl in a silicone love doll and have sex with it, and u will b cured.
>>
>>18536527
What places have you worked at and which one gave you the strongest feeling of something bad? Knowing that is your best bet for dealing with this fear.
>>
>>18536552
Not really. I've never really been a very private person, never had personal space issues or anything like that. I'm certainly not a germaphobe.
I don't know if I can easily describe this but it's the ACT of punching in, on a time clock. I don't care if some boss is going to know my moves since obviously that's the whole point of a job, you need to prove that you're trustworthy so you deserve to be paid. I'd hand-deliver a hand-written list of my work and non-work hours if I could but only one job has ever let me do that. The rest told me to fuck off.

>>18536585
>>18536649
I really don't want to click on these, especially that second one. Can anyone describe their contents to me?

>>18536693
What's that? Google isn't helping me.

>>18536752
Could you ask if there's any sort of material in their devices like mercury that could cause a physical reaction? I feel like I can't be the only one and maybe there was a class-action lawsuit or something?

>>18537216
Probably my worst experience was at UPS. I had worked as a seasonal helper on the trucks in the winter time and I LOVED it because I got to hang out with a cool driver, meet nice people and give them their Xmas presents, just good times. And no time clocks since the driver recorded my hours. I built up a good relation with a lot of the management and they all thought I was a hard worker. But a couple of months in they needed to switch me to working inside. I had to punch in on a time clock. I couldn't do it. They were convinced I was fucking with them and it was like a switch flipped, after I tried to tell them about my issue they just thought I was some lazy douchebag who didn't want to work around cameras (never mind that my driver vouched for me). They ended up just never calling me back in, essentially fired me.
I have other sad spaghetti stories, though, if anyone wants to hear them.
>>
>>18538257
What if you had like a yardstick or something and jabbed in your code that way? is it the physical contact between your body and the clock, or any interaction whatsoever?

I would almost reckon its the fact that your time is being measured, a reminder that time is finite and not unlimited. Are you afraid of this more than the regular person, OP?
>>
Bump for interest
>>
Maybe in a past life you were an employee who was always late for work.
>>
>>18541155
Maybe as we get more technologically evolved, instead of fearing things like snakes. spiders, and bears and other things that bear little danger in modern life, we will start fearing clocks, phones, computers, machinery, etc more and more.
>>
>>18541163
So is OP a newly evolved subspecies
>>
>>18538257
I combined the name of two phobias.

chronomentrophobia, that's fear of clocks, with ergophobia that's fear of work.

Google doesn't knows what I invent myself.
>>
>>18539475
I never did anything like that because it would've been too embarrassing but also would have involved looking straight at the actual physical device for too long.

>>18542571
Well, that's the thing though. I actually am not afraid of work or jobs. And like I said, I'm not afraid of other clocks, digital or analog. Or the passage of time, or the concept of aging.
>>
>>18543022
It's phobia by association then.

You are probably afraid of something else, more rational, but that happens less often, you probably created this association in the early childhood and now you can't make the connection consciously anymore.
>>
>>18533396
>>18533510
That's kairos, not kronos.
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 261x193px
>>18543092
kronos is the company who makes the employee timetable devices at all the jobs
>>
>>18543133
I thought they were more about something like time and motion rather than deadlines.
>>
>>18543155
Yeah, you know those black time clocks at work like the one in ops picture, that's kronos. check the logo next time you're at work.
>>
>>18543174
I've never had a punch in job.
>>
I watched the videos posted earlier in this thread last night and had a very creepy fucking dream about the punch clock like in the video. Kind of have a bad feeling about going in to work on monday now. Will come back to this thread with an update if it's still alive and anything happens.
>>
Sounds like it's just a phobia, dude
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.