[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lovecraft

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 13

File: 2-lovecraft-occultist.jpg (93KB, 482x471px) Image search: [Google]
2-lovecraft-occultist.jpg
93KB, 482x471px
Hey /x/ has anyone noticed that Cthulu and Lovecraftian mythos are starting to become more popular. Maybe it has something to do with the new Call of Cthulu game
>>
>>18524416
no, the old ones are calling and gathering followers for their rise and the downfall of humanity and all that is good in the universe forever.
>>
File: 1483664755320.gif (1018KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
1483664755320.gif
1018KB, 500x700px
>>18524416
>the new Call of Cthulu game
>new

Also it's Cthulhu, and it has always been a popular influence for horror and scifi related things.
>>
Actually bought my first lovecraft a few months ago
Loving it, but there are two things that just really grinded my greasy gears

1.I have yet to find an animation that tries to capture cthulu's "unimaginable greatness"
I want to see a cthulu that is at least 30x Godzilla in size

2.Lovecraft grossly overuses undescribability in his stories, which really just makes him look a bit lazy to me.
In every story there is something "undescribably" gross looking, magical, gigantic, terrible and so on...
I like the idea, but i'd rather have him explain the thing he is describing in greater detail.

Still love him tho
>>
>>18524416
It would only make sense if they made a cthulu game because of lovecraft being on the rise.
Certainly not the other way around , although ads will help spread him even further now.
>>
>>18524416
>Hey /x/ has anyone noticed that Cthulu and Lovecraftian mythos are starting to become more popular.
yeah I noticed that like 8-10 years ago dude, where have you been?
>>
>>18525799
>In every story there is something "undescribably" gross looking, magical, gigantic, terrible and so on...
>I like the idea, but i'd rather have him explain the thing he is describing in greater detail.

Idiot. You're supposed to use your imagination.
>>
>>18525799
I know what you are saying but take this into consideration:

1_ most of his stories are suppossed to be about impossible things. Not only impossible as in the "there's no way that's true!" way but also in the "There is absolutely no way something like that could exists in our reality, not even in our imagination".

2_He was literally writting for pennies and his stories were suppossed to be short, so he couldn't be too descriptive. Especially in his most elaborate works, he is quite descriptive in some earlier works that are so lacking in events that in a visual representation could be a 5 minute animation. .

2_
>>
>>18526057
God danm it that came out so fucking awfully but you get the point.
>>
>>18524416
Do not look at the tabletop games, though they are clearly a sign. Look at the people with influence welcoming entities from beyond time with open arms. Just look up Nick Land and his connections in the Silicon Valley and possibly in Space X.
>>
File: 12342141234.jpg (294KB, 1000x702px) Image search: [Google]
12342141234.jpg
294KB, 1000x702px
>>18524416
I know Bloodborne seriously sparked my interested in Lovecraft.

So far my favourite stories have been The Color Out of Space, The Temple, and Sweet Ermengard. Call of Cthulhu honestly felt kinda weak to me compared to a lot of his other stuff
>>
http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/12/4849860/the-cult-of-cthulhu-real-prayer-for-a-fake-tentacle
>>
Pretty sure he's talking about the upcoming game not the one from like 10 years ago
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SHbuE7rbDzs
>>
I got into Lovecraft a couple of years ago, but appreciated his works only two months ago, when I took some drugs and started brainstorming about the idea of cosmic horror, unimaginable concepts and how insignificant humans are with a couple of friends.

This man is an absolute genius who understands how our senses limit our interaction with everything around us. Sight, touch, smell, hearing and taste are only tools we use to experience things. Lovecraft fully understands how this works and manages to use it to cause fear.
>>
>>18526057
I agree with your second point completely, i do get what you mean.
Just saying that i do think that more descriptive horror could add to my mental image of that wretched being he is describing.

The last story i read was called something like "the coulours from the universe" and in there i actually stopped reading as i read how a pig was just "grossly and undescribably deformed", simply because i once again had to struggle defining my image.
Maybe it was bloated, perhaps it was dried up and shriveled or even just abstractly deformed.
In my opinion there is a missed chance here, as one could use that info to add to the overall tone of the story.

But as you said, he had a deadline after all.
Basically, i would just love to re-read the stories in a sophisticated re-do of them.
>>
>>18527433
>coulours
I am not a native speaker, be gentle on me
>>
File: 1468660040547.jpg (26KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1468660040547.jpg
26KB, 600x600px
>>18526801
I wouldn't say he "understands" the concept of something being outside of our senses reach more than any other person, he just wonderfully represented it in his works.
His fascination with the topic is a beautiful thing in itself though, as his stories inspire the readers imagination in the most peculiar way.
My favourite image is that of cthulu's world, in which the sheer size of those monolithic hanging quaders is an astonishing thought that already haunted me in my dreams, probably because i could set it in relation to my image of cthulu itself (himself?).
>>
File: moment_133.jpg (22KB, 367x314px) Image search: [Google]
moment_133.jpg
22KB, 367x314px
>>18524416
>Hey /x/ I'm 13 yo and I've just discovered HPL
>Also, how do I summon a SUCC?
That's you OP.
>>
SJWs are madly trying to suppress it though.
>>
>>18524416
There's a new Call of Cthulhu game? Anyways what got me started reading Lovecraft initially was actually The Grim Adventures Billy and Mandy that used to be on Cartoon Network. There was this one episode with Cthulhu in it, and I mentioned it to my Dad and my Dad was like "Oh yeah, Cthulhu. That's not from a cartoon that's from that story Call of Cthulhu" so I started reading
>>
File: images.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>18524416
Cthulhu stopped being popular when they used him on Southpark.
>>
>>18527737
Billy & Mandy was pretty /x/, honestly.

>Eris as a recurring character
>references to Lovecraft stuff like Cthulhu and Yog-Sothoth
>Voltaire as a guest VA in a few episodes
>Mandy saying "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law"
>>
File: hatecraft.png (43KB, 288x300px) Image search: [Google]
hatecraft.png
43KB, 288x300px
Internet culture. The web clung to Lovecraft because he's a character in and of himself, much like Poe is. The general public loves to seize, reduce, and exhaust things as fuel for pop culture, which they're in the later phases of doing with Lovecraft right now.

>>18527718
>tfw there may likely be an attempt at a CMCU (Cthulhu Mythos Cinematic Universe) in the next few years
>tfw every single feature will have to star a black, a woman, or an immigrant to publicly spite a dead, white author from the 20s.
>tfw you might live to see a black, Muslim, transgender, female academic with an anxiety disorder using dynamite to kill the Dunwich monster
>>
It's getting to that level of popularity where it's there but its still a "social outcast" thing. Kind of like graphic novels were/are.

Personally Lovecraft perfectly fits my jam. I love the concept of unknowable horrors; where it's so obscene your mind can't actually understand it. It's that thought in the back of your head where you think "Cthulhu could totally exist underwater..." to make life a touch more interesting. Of course I realise the necronomicon is just a story but it's fun to think about.
>>
>>18524416

Its called commercialization.

Happened to video games, anime, superheroes, etc.

It's a niche product made mainstrean because they can make more money of it.
>>
File: horrific.png (116KB, 400x460px) Image search: [Google]
horrific.png
116KB, 400x460px
>>18529847
He had a pretty bad life, I sure hope they don't make his death awful as well.
>>
File: 1469537291540.png (469KB, 529x1286px) Image search: [Google]
1469537291540.png
469KB, 529x1286px
>>18529847
Wow, rude much.

I identify as Dunwich Monster-kin. You will use Monst, Monster and MonstXer when referring to me.

Typical cis, white male shit lord scum.
>>
>>18530901
Not sure what you're on about, pretty sure you should have been aborted.
>>
>>18524416
The Evil Dead movies are considered by many as part of the mythos as well, and Bruce Campbell has been back to play Ash Williams for the Ash vs. Evil Dead series.

There was a recent article on Bloody Disgusting that points out possible connections between Evil Dead and other classic horror movies (Friday 13th, Nightmare on Elm St., Child's Play, Halloween, Hellraiser, and finally Cabin in the Woods) as being in the same universe. Cracked then ripped the article off with a few more tidbits that make it seem likely. If that's the case, then a lot of people have probably worked backwards to see the beginnings of our more modern classic horrors being spawned by Lovecraft's works, and generated interest in where it all started, which I think is neat as fuck.

>inb4 it's just easter eggs
Shut up. Let me believe I've been enjoying a Lovecraft cinematic universe all these years. Better than Marvel imo.
>>
I compiled this list of films if anyone is interested in watching Lovecraft related content

>H.P Lovefrat adaptations
The Call of Cthulhu (2005)
From Beyond (1986)
Re-Animator (1985)
The Unnamable (1988)
Dagon (2001)
The Curse (1987) [The Colour Out of Space]
Castle Freak (1995) [The Outsider]
The Resurrected (1991) [The Case of Charles Dexter Ward]

>Films involving H.P Lovecraft or Necronomicon
In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
Necronomicon: Book of Dead (1993)
The Evil Dead trilogy

>Films imo that contain Lovecraft themes
The Thing (1982)
Dark City (1998)
The Mist (2007)
Event Horizon (1997)
The Borderlands (2013)
AM1200 (2008)
Prince of Darkness (1987)
The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
>>
>>18525652
There is a new one coming out this year.
>>
>>18529371
>Mandy saying "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law"

Oh shit, never knew about that one...
>>
seriously like shadow priest lore is all lovecraftian with this new xpac of wow.
>>
>>18531774
it looks really bland and cliche too.
>>
File: lovecraft flicks.png (60KB, 950x510px) Image search: [Google]
lovecraft flicks.png
60KB, 950x510px
>>18531763
step it up senpai
>>
>>18530901
>pronouns
>auxiliary pronouns

this little pieces of crap needed more slaps as kids, fucking special snowkflakes, who the fuck care about their own make up pronouns.
>>
File: 1483916763463.jpg (14KB, 257x256px) Image search: [Google]
1483916763463.jpg
14KB, 257x256px
>>18532400
>Cutethulu
>Call Of Tutu
>>
dark corners of the earth was fun except for that game breaking island bug that i had to use a downloaded savegame to get past.
>>
>>18531763
you left out The Dunwich Horror (1970)
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.