[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The absurdity of existence.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: fractal-61363.jpg (189KB, 816x516px) Image search: [Google]
fractal-61363.jpg
189KB, 816x516px
Recently, an idea I have wrestled with has begun to solidify. Put simply that all existence makes no sense, as if its very structure should not be as it is. The core feature of this realization is that the nature of life, beyond simply resisting entropy, has established rules and ideas that should not fit into a universe of largely homogeneous and static structures.

For life not only has operated by a guiding set of rules of an almost ethereal nature, one of actively trying to be, of molding this passive plane of matter in its own image. Consider that for a moment, the entire passive universe is at the mercy of aberrations of matter that seek to create its own order, its own rules. I mean consider the very medium you are using, one in which we bends energy and matter into something meaningful only to us. One day it may be the case that even stars or entire universes will be ours to shape.

All of this leads me to the sense in which nothing human can nor could adequately explain all of this. Neither a simulation not the hand of another, for why would the conditions for active matter be seemingly so fragile, as if our nature is an anathema to the established rules of this universe. The only thing that I consider are some of the ideas of William Sidis in which our universe and its counter part bleed into each other, bringing an active spark to a largely structure passive universe.

Sadly, all of my own musings on this seem woefully inadequate as I reflect on the matter I am composed of and all of strangeness. It sometimes feels like we are just like spirits haunting an empty reality, interacting with it but leaving no lasting mark. It would be so comforting to fall back on god or nihilism, yet that seems like cheating. As if underlying all this is not something that's simply random but it also is not easily understood as fitting into a particular purpose.

None of this makes sense. Why would every subatomic particle not just default to one form? What is below it?
>>
In my experience you need to take a less intellectual and more visceral approach to these kind of questions. Be it through very careful use of entheogens, or which I personally would prefer, through intensive mindfulness meditation, you can come to deeper understandings about existence.
The realizations you will get this way aren't easy to comprehend, nor do they fit into any words or concepts that they convey.
After years of contemplation you might come to the conclusion, that religious texts speaks in parable and metaphor for good reason, and comes from true experience, rather then "just made up bullshit from power hungry man seeking to control people dreaming of a better (after) live".
Of course there are many problems with organized religion, and with fixed dogmas in general, with tribal thinking and big groups of people in general, and I can definitely see why people are against religion- God is much more than a comforting thought though.
>>
Seems like a key piece of the puzzle is missing.
>>
>>18513519
The one thing I failed to admit is that these thoughts came from the use of a particular potent thc brownie. Multiple experiences with the substance coupled with my own mind, that has always glided upon the edges of reality, allowed me to dig below the human reality that is built around and defines "me." It was in those moments and when I became sober that realized how contrived our existence is, yet with a purpose that I do not think I human can know. Some call it God but this to me is like enshrining our humanity around something more far more mysterious.
>>
>>18513526
More like we are all apart of the puzzle and we can only experience our own piece.
>>
>>18513535
I hesitate to share this with people, it can be dangerous to some, fruitless to others, but ultimately I think the world would be much better off if everybody had this experience at least once in their life.

There's a trick you can do, in vipassana, in mindfulness meditation, to get to know You. First you train your awareness, the "muscle" in your brain responsible for observation, until you are a really keen observer. This takes a few months of daily meditation. After this, you shift from observing your breath and your body, to observing your thoughts and your feelings, and train another few months observing these. Then finally, you try to observe the observer. You just ask yourself in a meditative state who is it that observes all this, and try to observe yourself, the observer. You will know when you succeed, and I can't possibly tell you what you will experience next, not with words anyways.

This realization about who you are, if you come down from your ego trip that will follow, can lead to very interesting realizations about life. You will still have many questions about life, and you will still have open questions about God and your purpose, if you stay honest about things and don't settle for the easy answers.

Anyways that's basically where I'm at, I think of it as most extraordinary experience of my life, and still lurk and post in threads philosophizing about life and god on the internet, but if you want a profound experience that gives you a glimpse of the truth, I can only recommend.
>>
>>18513580
I will practice this.
>>
2nd law of thermodynamics OP.

But yeah man, life and our universe is a huge mystery.

I think that abusrdism does generally make the most sense though from my perspective.
>>
>>18513590
if you're serious about learning mindfulness, start here:
https://palousemindfulness.com
>>
>>18513469
wow, an actually interesting post on /x/. this is my first time. I'm so nervous. *blushes*

Not but seriously. I think we simply lack the capability to understand. The "absurdity of existence" as you call it, is what draws me so much to Lovecraftian fiction, as no other fiction that tries to "explain" the greater mechanisms of the universe, or at least tries to give some background on them, could ever be capable of being even remotely close to the truth. Lovecraft essentially says though: That which lies beyond the veil, is so absurdly alien and incomprehensible, that there is no point in trying to describe it in a way that would make any sense to a human. Existence (not only the existence of life but all matter) is something we will probably never be able to fully comprehend as we are a part of it. Our self awareness is limited in that regard, due to our inclusion of a system, that has no walls to pierce through, at least as far as we know.

>All of this leads me to the sense in which nothing human can nor could adequately explain all of this

true dat

Drugs and meditation also led me to strange places, feeling close understanding, though at some point I always reached this... I don't know how to describe it... like an endless hole but not empty. Like I'd stay in front of a tunnel that has so much open space, that the abscensce of walls actually hinders me from going further. This never frightened me though, I'd always wake up smiling, knowing that even though I didn't really come closer to understanding, I still managed to take steps in the right direction.
>>
>>18513592
There's no proof that the 2nd law of thermodynamics, or any other physical law, is immutable. It only takes one verified observation of variance to upend the whole thing.
>>
>>18513832
A scientific law does not have "immutable" in the definition. A "law" in science describes the behavior of observed phenomenon. They don't even include the mechanism or explanation of the phenomenon's behavior.

Yes the 2nd LoT could be disproven - and the scientific community would LOVE if that happened. Nothing is more exciting in science than finding out something fundamental is wrong. See the switch from Newtonian Physics to to Relativity and QM.

But in nearly 200 years, there hasn't been one single observation that contradicts the 2nd LoT. So it'd be pretty damn stupid to think that just because it isn't immutable, it should be disregarded.
>>
Willpower is not necessarily limited to humans though. Did the apple fall against its will? Does water in a kettle resist the heat? Or relish the opportunity to get hot? It may seem that the interactions between the inorganic and the force of Will are less complex than those between the organic and Will, but they are no less important. The inorganic universe observed the organic universe into existence, it agree'd upon the rules by which the game would be played.
>>
If you guys enjoy this type of discussion you will enjoy this Discord server!
https://discord.gg/9wPHg8Q
>>
File: 0072 - a6orOGX.png (77KB, 515x369px) Image search: [Google]
0072 - a6orOGX.png
77KB, 515x369px
>>18516123
Enlightenment here I come
>>
File: hallway_.jpg (3MB, 1721x2250px) Image search: [Google]
hallway_.jpg
3MB, 1721x2250px
>>18516131
What a funny frog.
>>
I love it. Nosey little man. Do you feel it as I do?
>>
>>18516131
stupid frog drinks piss
>>
>>18513469
life has these rules so u can live your life if not followed by these rules and everything not added up to what is now there is no life not your life but something different u r looking at the influence and choices of millions of years coming to u which is karma this is pretty much all your fault it makes sense think about that lol
>>
>>18520585
so what is ur judgement and wat r u gnna do this life because what u do will have an impact like a ripple in a cup of water expanding into space and rebounding back on to experience yet again
>>
>>18520590
the fact ur mind can comprehend different concepts and ideas and philosophy we r all very connected but blind but u can c the light
>>
>>18520592
the flow of ur thoughts like a torch in the dark u can c all ideas and their creativity if u let ur self and not a pussy
>>
>>18520596
thats y mentally there is half truths in everything u can connect anything if ur pro anything can connect this is ur world lol like metaphors and stuff
>>
>>18513469
You write and express yourself very well for this place. Your thoughts also reveal the preoccupations of a higher intellect.
>>
File: emptiness.jpg (153KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
emptiness.jpg
153KB, 640x480px
>>18513469
I know what you mean even. It's referred to by alot of different things by alot of esoteric authors, but I find Buddhism describes it as well as you can using words anyway

Buddhism calls it sunyata and it refers to the "emptiness" of life, that phenomenal world contains no thing in itself. Again it's nonconceptual but it's the meanless of life, the reason for boredom, the very reason why life is dissatisfying, why it doesn't make sense, because there's ultimately something missing from it.

Drawing my my own limited experience, this is merely an illusion, and NOT how reality actually is, only how it appears to be due to our ignorance. It's my understanding that underneath all the phenomenal experience, under the veil of reality, that there exists perfect contentment, satisfaction. Through meditation or whatever method you use, as you are able to cease the movement of the mind and quiet it, you realize your inner peace and bliss. Dzogchen refers to this contentment as the "Ground" or "Buddha-nature." At the moment of enlightenment, the "emptiness" transforms into "fullness"

I'm obviously not enlightened but that's merely my conception of it thus far given my own personal experiences and readings. It sounds like you're well on your way to developing your understanding though, considering how well you were able to define it.
>>
>>18521647
a quote from the Pali Canon on the matter:

The born, come-to-be, produced,
The made, the conditioned, the transient,
Conjoined with decay and death,
A nest of disease, perishable,
Sprung from nutriment and craving's cord —
That is not fit to take delight in.
The escape from that, the peaceful,
Beyond reasoning, everlasting,
The not-born, the unproduced,
The sorrowless state that is void of stain,
The cessation of states linked to suffering,
The stilling of the conditioned — bliss.

Start meditating if you already don't and still your mind
>>
File: 1457808829265.jpg (46KB, 1041x833px) Image search: [Google]
1457808829265.jpg
46KB, 1041x833px
reality and existence could've happened in any way. everything could be arranged in an infinite amount of ways, yet it is the way it is.
was it random occurrence? if not, what or who could've arranged everything the way it is?

I ask myself things like this and I get this feeling in my head, like if my thoughts were crashing into the edges of my mind and I cannot continue.

All of this is so complicated. Reality is so comlicated. even things that at first look might appear simple are extremely complicated. finding this out has made me pause my search for the truth in favor of more mundane things multiple times, but I always gravitate back to the search. I feel truth calling me.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.