[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think aliens look like?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_4756.jpg (58KB, 564x949px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4756.jpg
58KB, 564x949px
What do you think extraterrestrial life looks like? On one hand it makes sense that they would look like our cliche big eyes and big head look, but i think they would be more abstract. They could live in a part of space she obscure to us we cant even comprehend them. They could be balls of gas or elements with a conscious.
What do you think /x/?
>>
I think a lot of intelligent life would have the humanoid body plan.

Binocular vision for hunting. Predators tend to be more cunning.

Bipedal to free up limbs, for tool-use.

These traits would foster high intelligence.
>>
>>18512059

I saw a documentary where they said that the octopuses could possibly be the next ruler of the earth. So maybe something similar. No bone, multiple brain, living in low grav, not stock to the ground
>>
Machines instead of flesh, i inside beings with advanced intelligence only because they live long enough.
>>
It would completely depend on the environment they evolved in I guess. What if there is a water planet full of merpeople
>>
on our planet, they look like we do...supposedly
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VIU6qDt1Sg
>>
>>18513660
You have 2 brains
>>
>>18512059
A lot like that picture. Possibly gender-less, though I heard stories about mixing with humans for reproductive organs.
>>
Scientists have determined that the "eye" as we know it involved multiple times independently on this planet (multiple species with eyes with no mutual ancestor) so you could suggest that they would have eyes, whether they see the same spectrum of light as us? Who knows.

Id hazard a guess that advanced alien beings would be mostly if not entirely artificial intelligence/biological "minds" inside advanced tech, could even be biological technology, not your day to day tin man robot.
>>
>>18513821
yes, that is it!
>>
>>18513747
No, we have two sides to a brain, like a coin
>>
>>18512059
A million tendrils, reaching out to God. All reaching out, the size of skyscrapers and never touching, all consuming that which stands in between, eating the universe at the same rate as ones sanity.
>>
almost certainly brains (or rather a copy) inside of a computer. provably very small and efficient. capable of hibernating hundreds of years while travelling the empty voids. This would feel like teleporting instantly to them.
>>
>>18512059
Methane based life forms would go completely unnoticed unless they make themselves known.
>>
>>18514542
epic
>>
>>18512059
They probably look like us.
>>
Uhh... Like the Spaghetti monster?
>>
>>18513660
Octopi are smart but that's considered a bit of a paradox because they live very short lives mostly. So unlikely for them to rise up after. I like it as an alien idea though.

A lot of systems have the gas giants right next to the star, so I wonder if life developing on a moon like that is possible and how it might be different. Could be long periods of darkness as the moon passes behind the planet for example.
>>
>>18516135
So you're saying it would be silent but deadly?
>>
>>18516195
Can you imagine the sci fi nerd forum reaction.
>>
In one of the Lem's books he decribed alien, who is like huge living and thinking ocean. It is impossible to guess how they can look like.
>>
File: Ayyyyy.gif (712KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Ayyyyy.gif
712KB, 500x500px
>>18512059
>
>>
>>18513629
Why bipedal? Couldn't something have any number of limbs greater than or equal to 4 and still have a free pair of appendages for tool use? And a cephalopod body plan would be even better for tool use, IMO.
>>
Aliens intelligent enough to travel vast distances all over the universe would probably look like something we would never be able even to imagine. Its like if they are on another dimmension. Check out that video where the 4tg dimension is explained.
>>
>>18513770
I don't get why all extraterrestrial life has to be genderless. Why is it so farfetched that another species of intelligent life also has males and females?
It makes more sense than being genderless, considering typically only the lowest form of life are genderless.
>>
>>18518212
This has always bothered me. That and the fact that they have to have some type of ridiculous body shape or type, like being mostly robotic with a brain in a tank. That's retarded. It's inevitable that we're going to crack space travel, but we're not going become some Android race.
>>
>>18512059
I'm gonna have to go with aliens being mechanicals with digitized minds or just straight up sentient AIs.

The sheer scale and the time it takes, even if you could travel close to the speed of light, makes biological, relatively fast degrading bodies a liability.
>>
>>18518226
Not becoming an android race? We can replace most organs with artificial ones already. Even artificial eyes work on a very basic level right now. If we can replace things with stuff that are better, we most likely will.
Right now most of these things are obviously very basic, but in the future they might be better than the biological stuff.
>>
>>18518227
THIS

I do believe that somewhat humanoid (bipedal, forward facing eyes, hands that can use tools) could be very likely among smarter aliens, but for a civilisation to be able to build amazing structures and other stuff everything biological becomes a liability.
Some sort of AI hivemind seems like the most likely candidate for really advanced life.
>>
>>18518383

I have an inner ear issue and a stomach issue, I'd take functioning tech-organs over these faulty shits any day.
>>
>>18518401
Yeah, I don't have any serious issues and I would gladly take tech organs any day if they were better than the original shit. Would gladly get my consciousness moved over to some digital platform as well if I knew for certain it was actually me and not just a clone that thought it was me.
>>
>>18512059
I love Lovecraft and Evangelion and want to say real aliens would be indescribable and Unspeakable.
HOWEVER. If you want to use spears, ambush larger prey and be able to climb and swim, there is only one body plan that does the job, our own. If we ever run into aliens, we will more than likely be able to shake their hands.
>>
>>18518044
Lol, yeah.
>>
>>18513629
fpbp
>>
>>18518383
this anon gets it

>>18518396
back to primary school with you
>>
File: EFC1.png (149KB, 257x282px) Image search: [Google]
EFC1.png
149KB, 257x282px
>>18512059
Plot twist what if they look like children and we don't know it yet...
>>
>>18518115
It is the least amount of limbs. Why have more?
>>
When aliens land they'll be an entire species that looks like your mom
>>
>>18512059
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.