[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Perhaps the most famous of stories about the strange powers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: crowleypyrhat.jpg (40KB, 317x378px) Image search: [Google]
crowleypyrhat.jpg
40KB, 317x378px
>Perhaps the most famous of stories about the strange powers of Aleister Crowley takes place in New York City. Strolling down Fifth Avenue with an American writer who asked for a demonstration of his powers, Crowley, after falling into step behind a distinguished looking gentleman, suddenly dropped to his knees in a squat. A split second later he shot up again. The knees of the man he had been following suddenly buckled, and he toppled to the pavement. Crowley and the writer helped the man to his feet who searched about as if looking for a banana peel or something that could have caused his fall.

Does this prove that magic is real?
>>
>>18486407
Nothing can prove magic is real, that's the whole point of magic.
>>
>>18486426
What do you mean?
>>
>>18486430
THE MYSTERY OF FAITH
>>
>>18486430
Magic is about directing attention and belief. It relies heavily on cognitive dissonance: simultaneous 100% belief and 100% disbelief in its existence. It can't be proven to be real because that would destroy the disbelieving side of the equation. Likewise, it can't be proven to be fake or the belief side would be compromised.
>>
>>18486482
>It can't be proven to be real because that would destroy the disbelieving side of the equation.

How it would not be proven if someone demonstrates telepathic ability or extrasensory perception in lab conditions? You're saying there is a cosmic force that will make any such experiment fail? How do you know that? Do you know how many people claim to have proved it and how many people have claimed to have witnessed supernatural occurences? But i'm guessing you will brush this off by saying your definition of magic is the only true one and everyone else is in the dark.
>>
>>18486515
It's not a cosmic force that keeps these experiments from working, it's subjectivity. Think of each person as being their own universe and that these universes can overlap via communication. They're right and wrong at the same time because truth isn't actually a thing. It can't be proven to be real objectively because that would require all people every where to believe the same thing. So one person or a group of people can believe things and it can be true for them.

My conception of magic is equally correct as yours.
>>
>>18486636
>It can't be proven to be real objectively because that would require all people every where to believe the same thing.

You can prove it scientifically. If i move a 10 tones steel ball with my mind in strict lab conditions that's a proof, as much as slightly altered fossiles in different layers of earth os be a proof of evolution. Belief is irrelevant here. That would be good enough proof no matter how shaky the epistemological foundations of knowledge are.
>>
File: facepalm.png (35KB, 240x144px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.png
35KB, 240x144px
>>18486652
Okay, then, so me some proof.
>>
>>18486652
Lol, your good logic also destroys bad arguments.
>>
>>18486658
Yes, your dishonesty is indeed facepalm worthy. Glad you conceded away from your inane notion that

>>It can't be proven to be real objectively because that would require all people every where to believe the same thing.
>>
Wasnt he like a con artist though?
>>
>>18486665
I'm facepalming because you don't get it and you can't get it. Goodbye, anon.
>>
>>18486675
That's right, hurl insults when you can't respond to the arguments. But with your level of intellect, i guess you have no other choice.
>>
File: get a load.jpg (12KB, 200x219px) Image search: [Google]
get a load.jpg
12KB, 200x219px
>>18486679
EXTREME IRONY
>>
>>18486670

I think so. As far as I know the practice of the Enochian magik was proven later to be some rubbish and it was just something a few con men have made up to trick people into believing in it.
>>
>>18486683
That wasn't an insult, just a statement of fact.
>>
>>18486679
but but but lord jesus christ is real! u just need to have faith. have faith! it be real!
>>
>>18486407
What is the purpose of that faggot doing that faggot pose?
>>
>>18486407

Sure he did. And I won the lotto last night AND fucked Emma Watson.
>>
>>18486752
wow, congratulations! I believe you because i do want that to happen for you.
>>
>>18486407

No that doesnt prove 'magic is real' because that isnt how proof really works.

If I asked you if a photo of a dingo proved whether dingos were real, what would you say?

A logical person would say "Well, that is only a photo. Proof of a dingo existing requires, just a dingo...literally...to document and examine."

Dingo being defined as a specific sub species of wild dog in Australia.

So from this point we have to agree on a definition of the word 'magic'.

Most define it as something like the following

"Magic - the power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces."

Or

"Magic or sorcery is the use of rituals, symbols, actions, gestures, and language with the aim of exploiting supernatural forces."
>>
>>18486912

If we work from these 2 definitions loosely we can see that magic is BASICALLY any affect you can create that technically goes against the standard physics textbook.

Its that general, seriously.

Ignore the word "supernatural" as its outdated and meaningless when speaking technically since all things that exist are indeed part of the natural universe.

So at this point we can define all psychic ability as 'magic'. It doesnt even have to be ritualized or spiritual, if its influencing without regard to physics and standards of medicine - its magic.

The placebo affect is the most common form of documented magic. It works in reverse too. Aboriginal curses in Australia are classified as "nocebo" when your belief in something creates a negative physiological response.

Some people have died from believing they were cursed. This is not technically possible according to mainstream medical documentation.

You can read all about more wonders of the mind over body effect like placebo in Jo Marchant's book Cure. Its all from a doctor and by other doctors and very rigorously researched plus its well written, check it out at your library.

As for psychic ability everyone from all 3 major nations military; China, US, Russia, have published documentation citing success with psychic ability.

China claims to have a few people who can cause small objects - the size of a coin - to instantly move short distances. They published this research, its easy to find online.

The Germans invented the ganzfeld which did lead to the most reliable clairvoyance research ever conducted, you can also look it up. There are loads of skeptics but you're really picking whether to trust this Ph.D or that one.

Many of the parapsychologists doing this research around the world are physicists and biologists, hard science degree holders, not psychologists or sociologists who are used to 'soft' studies and 'implied' effects.

The US is famous for project stargate.
>>
>>18486747
he's the original edgeLARPer
>>
>>18486938

Project Stargate also did prove the possibility of clairvoyance. They actually did receive correct information through this project. Again there are valid criticisms but a meta analysis of the research shows the odds against chance of the results are staggering astronomical numbers and very unlikely.

The results were not, officially, reliable enough for military operations.

All of this would count as every first world government practicing 'magic' through million dollar military programs.

If none of that is hard enough data you can read about studies done by Helmut Schmidt.

Critics claim he made mistakes but he used a radioactive material to create a random number generator. He than had subjects try to influence the device.

His results showed that people could deviate the process odds by about 2%.

This is nothing when you consider 100 or 200 trials but this is almost certain proof when considering many thousands of trials.

Also, for the critics of his work - we are talking about a man that that didnt just have a Ph.D in physics but was paid to TEACH physics at major universities in multiple countries.

Not a slouch.

Moving on from here we also have evidence over the last few decades of control over metabolic processes that are technically not something a person can control, they're regulated by the body without conscious decision.

People like Wim Hof have proven without a doubt that tummo meditation is a real effect and again, as this goes against the grain and standardized medical documentation, it IS magic.

Yes, occult ritual in a circle to divine the future through communication with 'something' named Belial is magic too, if it works.
>>
>>18486407

Its also worth mentioning that criminal investigators all over the world routinely use psychic assistance.

Everyone from the US police departments to the Russian government have admitted to using psychics to solve crimes or find resource deposits.

Some psychics are known for 'dowsing'.

I can keep on going, there is a shitload of info and evidence, mostly in counter-culture books that ruined the careers of the doctors and scientists that published their research.

I wont get into conspiracy crap or church involvement etc. Suffice to say you can just ask if you want to hear more about anything, I hope this points you in the right direction and answers your question.
>>
>>18486912
>>18486938
>>18487005
>>18487033
Informative, thanks.
>>
He did Satan's bidding, thus, gaining Satan's ability. Just like when you live for God you gain extraordinary abilities through him.
>>
>>18486430
Otherwise, we would just call it science.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.