[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Voynich Manuscript

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (25KB, 200x260px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 200x260px
Opinions on the Voynich Manuscript?
>>
One of the last true mysteries left. Some claim ot was written either by Roger Bacon or Athanasius Kircher and has been owned by some heavy hitters in the occult since the Renaissance. I believe it's someone's personal journal.
>>
>>18485056
it wasnt written by edward either
the book was dated bakc to 1404
but the documentary i saw went full retard
they wanted to go to italy and study the time around 1505

if the book was dated around 1404 it's shrouded in even more mystery as not many people where writkng things down around this time
>>
exactly, there are a dozen or so reputed to have either owned it or wrote it, I doubt either Dee or Kelly wrote it
>>
>>18484345
I think it is legit. Too expensive for a forgery or hoax, to complex for random gibberish.
As for the content- i got no clue.
>>
>>18484345
Is there any group still trying to translate it?
>>
Stephen Bax already partially translated it, the press continued to ignore him so they can continue to publish "spooky book nobody can read!!!!!!!!".
>>
File: hentai_kong.jpg (152KB, 763x841px) Image search: [Google]
hentai_kong.jpg
152KB, 763x841px
Monks writing bullshit books and making things up is nothing new. This could easily just be one of those books.
>>
>>18484345
>Opinions
Yeah, it started good, but the ending was predictable.
>>
File: 1483231394908_0.png (390KB, 1320x2652px) Image search: [Google]
1483231394908_0.png
390KB, 1320x2652px
>>18484345
Here's a cool work of fiction involving the manuscript
>>18484345
>>
>>18485638
Why not the whole thing?
>>
>>18485727
Gotta make monies
>>
>>18485727
Probably lack of academic interest (funding) and people are more interested in the esoteric aspect like interpreting the pictures.
>>
>>18485463
Yeah.
>>
>>18485727
Because there's no way to know whether he was right and he was just guessing like every other idiot that claims to have "translated" it.
>>
>>18485463
/x/?
https://archive.org/details/TheVoynichManuscript
>>
>>18484345
I wrote this in a past life, its all nonsensical text. I couldn't read or write and could bearly speak but loved plants and wanted convey my love but when just drawing didnt warrant attention from the alchemist charged with curing me toward my art I tried to mimic his writing without copying to fool him into investigating my work. It was a horrible life which much is suppressed but I could still write a book about what I do remember. I was a strict vegetarian, funny in this life I hate most vegetables. I have no fucking idea why its been preserved. I thought I did it on another planet too, if they let me bring this book to earth there must be a sword to accompany it. A sword that has killed many, recently ive been going through a process of illumination preparing for transcendence and can only say death is a mistake, learned and overcome.
>>
>>18485418
Something like 3-4/5 of the text is your standard basic herbal. Some is astronomical, some is herb preparation. The only mystery section-wise is the bathing ladies nonsense.
>>
>>18488591
Hows the schizophrenia these days, buddy?
>>
>>18488594
Bathing ladies?
>>
It's written in an old Celt-Iberian language that died out before being able to receive a standard written form
>>
>>18488591
Everything you write in this life is all nonsensical too.
>>
>>18488628
I have seen languages being lost before, but there's must be an account of an european written language as complete as that one.

>>18488594
Naturalist manual, but from where?
>>
Looking at the writing with pictures of plants in the middle. It strikes me as odd if the pictures had reference to the text the written word would be directed to an aspect of a leaf or stem or somthing. The common composition is picture in centre and writing after.

The writing is likely generalistic, maybe talking about how to prepare but the limited affectation of counting system suggest it doesn't talk on preparation of healing remedies more of an account that this plant is so and so or it should be wiped out due to terrible side effects. This may be a book of warning hence utilizing the whole page to show the whatever plant. The hoax could be a two parter where person a painted and hundreds of years later the writing was added... I don't know and if it is a dead language much like oral tradition, once the last expert dies so to does the answer.
>>
i love this piece of weird history. it's like a logic puzzle.

>entirely handwritten/illustrated seemingly by one person with a fluent understanding of whatever weird ass language this is

>weird ass language has more similarities to chinese/vietnamese than western european/latin, but there's no asian iconography or anything else connecting it there

>contains cosmology, herbology, recipes, astronomy, and pharmaceutical knowledge (maybe biological, depending on the purpose of the naked ladies)

So we have a book intended to teach about fairly general subjects. But who could be the intended audience? The language has never before been seen, nor has anything like it been found before.

my guess? there is perhaps an ancient language, now lost to us, being featured here. languages die all the time. it's only because the greeks and romans literally could not stop writing that we know how to read it today. perhaps it was a language that never really had any written form, and this was some european's attempt to give it that structure.

it's one thing to guess as to the manuscripts literal contents. i'm more interested in the demographics (or lackthereof)
>>
File: yaghan.jpg (32KB, 497x267px) Image search: [Google]
yaghan.jpg
32KB, 497x267px
>>18488955
If we assume that it's a lost language, the book could be for educational purposes, some kind of last attempt to rescue a disappearing culture.
>>
>>18488955
Ancient autist pulls a spergy joke on posterity?
>>
>>18484345
Does anyone else think it was some J.R.R.Tolkien type who made up their own language, and was really into DnD-esque role playing? He was probably a massive nerd and had a bunch of nerd friends to play with and made the most elaborate players manual in the world.
>>
>>18488628
source?
>>
>>18489411
Could be true, and would be cool. But for linguists and decipherers(if that's a word), such languages should be sort of easy to figure out, or?
>>
>>18485725
>fiction
>>
>>18484345
Mu.
>>
>>18488591
Cool, I wrote it too!
>>
>>18484345
A wonderful hoax.
In the sense, the language is invented and meant to have no sense (or at least the inventor knew nothing about linguistics; either way, it would be as if I randomly picked a set of letters and created "words" using them, but really did not meant to coney anything - that's the manuscript's language)
The drawings appear to be based on real species, but with obvious modifications, which could be easily done as an artist.
Probably the oldest well-known joke. It just blows my mind somebody was autistic enough to go with it, but then, there's 4chan and nothing surprises me anymore.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.