[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Sirens real?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

I've been interested in Sirens lately because of the Vampire Diaries lol but on a more serious note can some singers actually be sirens and they are successful because their voices capture our attention. Is there a way to become one lol I would love to have a beautiful voice and use it to my advantage. The pic is Lana Del Rey who I believe to be the best singer in the world of this time and thanks for any replies :)
>>
This is a pretty common question OP. Turns out they actually are real. Here, I'll dump some info for you

>A siren is a loud noise making device. Civil defense sirens are mounted in fixed locations and used to warn of natural disasters or attacks. Sirens are used on emergency service vehicles such as ambulances, police cars and fire trucks. There are two general types: pneumatic and electronic.

Many fire sirens (used for calling the volunteer fire fighters) serve double duty as tornado or civil defense sirens, alerting an entire community of impending danger. Most fire sirens are either mounted on the roof of a fire station, or on a pole next to the fire station. Fire sirens can also be mounted on or near government buildings, on tall structures such as water towers, as well as in systems, where several sirens are distributed around a town for better sound coverage. Most fire sirens are single tone and mechanically driven by electric motors with a rotor attached to the shaft. Some newer sirens are electronically driven by speakers, though these are not as common.

Fire sirens are often called "fire whistles", "fire alarms", or "fire horns". Although there is no standard signaling of fire sirens, some utilize codes to inform firefighters of the location of the fire. Civil defense sirens pulling double duty as a fire siren often can produce an alternating "hi-lo" signal (similar to a British police car) as the fire signal, or a slow wail (typically 3x) as to not confuse the public with the standard civil defense signals of alert (steady tone) and attack (fast wavering tone). Fire sirens are often blasted once a day at noon and are also called "noon sirens" or "noon whistles".
>>
>>18477710
kek
>>
>>18477710
>Some time before 1799, the first siren was invented by the Scottish natural philosopher (physicist) John Robison.[3] Robison's sirens were used as musical instruments; specifically, they powered some of the pipes in an organ. Robison's siren consisted of a stopcock that opened and closed a pneumatic tube. The stopcock was apparently driven by the rotation of a wheel.

>In 1819 an improved siren was invented and named by Baron Charles Cagniard de la Tour.[4] De la Tour's siren consisted of two perforated disks that were mounted coaxially at the outlet of a pneumatic tube. One disk was stationary, while the other disk rotated. The rotating disk periodically interrupted the flow of air through the fixed disk, producing a tone.[5][6] De la Tour's siren could produce sound under water,[7] suggesting a link with the sirens of Greek mythology; hence the name of the instrument.[8]

>Instead of disks, most modern sirens use two concentric cylinders, which have slots parallel to their length. The inner cylinder rotates while the outer one remains stationary. As air under pressure flows out of the slots of the inner cylinder and then escapes through the slots of the outer cylinder, the flow is periodically interrupted, creating a tone.[9] The earliest such sirens were developed during 1877–1880 by James Douglass and George Slight (1859–1934)[10] of Trinity House; the final version was first installed in 1887 at the Ailsa Craig lighthouse in Scotland's Firth of Clyde.[11] When commercial electric power became available, sirens were no longer driven by external sources of compressed air, but by electric motors, which generated the necessary flow of air via a simple centrifugal fan, which was incorporated into the siren’s inner cylinder.

>To direct a siren’s sound and to maximize its power output, a siren is often fitted with a horn, which transforms the high pressure sound waves in the siren to lower pressure sound waves in the open air.
>>
Surprisingly well done video on the topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIypdzgZAaI
>>
>>18477714
>The earliest way of summoning volunteer firemen to a fire was by ringing of a bell, either mounted atop the fire station, or in the belfry of a local church. As electricity became available, the first fire sirens were manufactured. In 1886 French electrical engineer Gustave Trouvé, developed a siren to announce the silent arrival of his electric boats. Two early fire sirens were the Decot siren and Sterling Siren. Both started manufacturing fire sirens around 1900 to 1905. Many communities have since deactivated their fire sirens as pagers became available for fire department use.

>During the Second World War the British civil defence used a network of sirens to alert the general population to the immanence of an air raid. A single tone denoted a raid. A series of tones was an "All clear".
>>
>>18477719
Summoning a siren is usually difficult though OP. Here's what my grimoar has to say about it

>Governments may have standards for vehicle-mounted sirens. For example, in California, sirens are designated Class A or Class B. A Class A siren is loud enough that it can be mounted nearly anywhere on a vehicle. Class B sirens are not as loud and must be mounted on a plane parallel to the level roadway and parallel to the direction the vehicle travels when driving in a straight line.

>Sirens must also be approved by local agencies, in some cases. For example, the California Highway Patrol approves specific models for use on emergency vehicles in the state. The approval is important because it ensures the devices perform adequately. Moreover, using unapproved devices could be a factor in determining fault if a collision occurs.

>The Society of Automotive Engineers, (SAE), Emergency Warning Lights and Devices committee oversees the SAE emergency vehicle lighting practices and the siren practice, J1849. This practice was updated through cooperation between the SAE and NIST, the National Institute of Standards. Though this version remains quite similar to the California Title 13 standard for sound output at various angles, this updated practice enables an acoustic laboratory to test a dual speaker siren system for compliant sound output.
>>
I was talking about the supernatural beings sirens lol not a police siren. I want to have the most beautiful voice ever like a siren lol
>>
http://archiveofourown.org/tags/Sewer%20Siren
>>
>>18477729
>I was talking about the supernatural beings sirens

Oh you mean from the show? I gotchu OP

>Sirens are a type of supernatural creature that have been encountered by Sam and Dean Winchester that can take different forms to lure and compel humans to perform drastic acts to prove their love and devotion. These acts are usually destructive or violent and usually result in deaths of one kind or another. Not much is known about them, however, due to the fact that they are creatures rarely seen outside of Greece.
>>
>>18477740
>A Siren's true form is that of an ugly, hairless, vaguely-humanoid monstrosity with gaunt, inhuman facial features. Like many creatures in the Supernatural Universe, they are able to take on multiple forms to deceive their prey—humans—usually transforming into a person that matches their victims' desire, such as a lover, friend or anything else that person may long for. In ancient times, they lived on islands and forced sailors to chase them, driving their ships onto the rocks.

>By using a sort of venom gland in their mouths, they can infect people with large doses of the hormone oxytocin (a hormone that is produced during childbirth, lactation, and sex; sometimes called the "love hormone") or at the very least, one similar to it. Victims with this much of the hormone in their systems experience an intense sense of euphoria and love for the creature that extends beyond just the physical and/or sexual realms. They truly love the creature to their cores and need and desire whatever the creature says it does for itself, and as acts of love and devotion, the ensnared are willing to carry out drastic, most usually violent and deadly requests simply for the asking. These terrible acts are usually perpetrated against those the victim loved before being infected—proving just how much they love the siren. Once these acts of violence are enacted (or even just as they've begun), the siren "gets bored" and immediately vanishes, leaving their victims emotionally broken to deal with the consequences of their own actions.

>Unlike many monsters, Sirens do not technically feed on humans. Instead, they feel an intense rush of pleasure when their victims carry out atrocities against other loved ones. Like the people they infect, the intense feelings of euphoria do not last long and they quickly grow bored with their targets and venture off to find others.
>>
>>18477744
Is there a way to become one lol I men I dont want to look scary like one but have their ability to use for good
>>
>>18477754
Not sure. You'd probably have to watch the episode to find out
>>
>>18477759
lol i dont watch supernatural and I feel like that show isnt gonna have any real answers lmao
>>
File: 1420421594328.jpg (65KB, 443x726px) Image search: [Google]
1420421594328.jpg
65KB, 443x726px
>>18477761
Then why did you ask about the show in the first place?
>>
>>18477767
No i saw them from the vampire diaires lol but i was trying to say sirens as in the supernatural creatures cause they were replying about poice sirens lol
>>
File: sirens.gif (2MB, 475x500px) Image search: [Google]
sirens.gif
2MB, 475x500px
>>
Sirens live in water lol, so it's very unlikely that any known singer is a siren lol, humans can have beautiful attractive voices too lol
Sirens use their voice and beautiful features to attract men into fucking them lol, so they can breed 'cause they're all female lol, I don't think much of this men come back alive from this lol, I guess they drown or are eaten by the sirens after sex or something lol
>>
lol I'm sure you meant like Homer's Sirens.....certainly not the Wincesters...If you are asking if Lana is a supernatural being? If she is its probably not a siren because a sirens voice is to distract you from how ugly they are....
>>
>>18477698
>Are Sirens real?
No
/thread
>>
>>18477710
People like you are the reason that I love this site
>>
>>18477729
Definitely troll. What are you? A twelve year old girl?
>>
>>18480233
>such a n00b he /threads his own post
>>
>>18480230
Kek
>>
File: Simpsons_13_13_P1.jpg (57KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
Simpsons_13_13_P1.jpg
57KB, 600x337px
>>18480230
>like Homer's Sirens

I remember that one too!
>>
>>18480247
It was pretty funny until he continued. Then it was just obnoxious and pretentious.

> op

Yeah. I don't know too much about sirens but they have been accounted for in a lot of folklore.

Western renditions of the siren folklore don't deviate much from common knowledge. Other non western folklore has their own spin.

Ningyo is from Japanese folklore. It was described with a monkey’s mouth with small teeth like a fish’s, shining golden scales, and a quiet voice like a skylark or a flute.

It's a damn shame this board isn't what it used to be.
>>
fuck yeah they are man. I live near Detroit hear them every night when the chupacabras run wild.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.