[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nastapoka arc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: Arc_Nastapoka.png (175KB, 800x664px) Image search: [Google]
Arc_Nastapoka.png
175KB, 800x664px
it's not a crater, so what is it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nastapoka_arc
>>
>>18449809
it must be an alien or maybe an ghost
>>
It's probably an arcuate boundary of tectonic origin.
>>
>>18449827
what does that mean?
>>
File: aleutianarc.jpg (105KB, 555x219px) Image search: [Google]
aleutianarc.jpg
105KB, 555x219px
>>18449833
You know what plate tectonics are? Plates can move against each other and produce strike slip faults like the San Andreas faults.

Other times if the plates are moving towards each other, one will go underneath the other, forming mountains. In this particular case their were mountains formed that have since eroded.

However, depending on the types of tectonic plates that merge, you don't always end up with a straight line, but a nice clear arc instead. Most of these are underwater, so you wouldn't see them on most maps. But the mountains formed by them make nice even arcs, like the aleutian islands for example.
>>
>>18449856
ah, cool. thanks, I really didn't get it
>>
>>18449869
You familiar with the Battle of the Bulge? German Army launched a huge surprise attack on Western Allies' lines. They pushed in so far it created a large bulge, what military scientists call a "salient." When tectonic plates push into another, and the other is a heavy, easily submerged oceanic plate, you often get these same sorts of bulges. If you look at a map of the tectonic plates, they're all over the pacific "Rim of Fire" and elsewhere.
>>
>>18449809
We're sure it's not a crater? Looking at it, I see a huge circular depression with a deposition mound in the center (The Belcher Islands)
>>
>>18449809
ancient nuke
>>
>>18449809
I lived not far from there in Val d'Or in Western Quebec
I visited north of the town closer to the bay often enough, it's not much except extremely dense evergreen forest and lots of lakes from glaciers. I actually found a 2.7 billion year old sedimentary rock in one of those lakes. It had to be sawed in half and examined by a geologist to make sure it wasn't a meteorite because it sure as hell looks like one. This type of rock is not natural to the area which is largely volcanic, and the geologist theorized the glaciers dropped it off.

I don't know that much about the area near the circle other than it's a lot of autochton hunting grounds and some of the hydroelectric dams that power much of Canada and even parts of America are located here.

Also the whole area is insanely cold at times. The whole region can be simultaneously hit by North winds off James and Hudson Bay while hit by winds off the Rockies heading back North after going through a Southern loop in the States. Virtually every year it drops to -40 celcius, and I've personally experienced temperatures under -50 with wind factor.
>>
File: eye-of-the-sahara.jpg (264KB, 691x579px) Image search: [Google]
eye-of-the-sahara.jpg
264KB, 691x579px
>>18452454
glass em
>>
>>18452362
Are you an expert? Did you read the current findings or the wiki?

The burden of proof is on you.
Take your meds first
>>
File: abitibi lake rock.jpg (724KB, 3000x2328px) Image search: [Google]
abitibi lake rock.jpg
724KB, 3000x2328px
>>18452490
The rock, for those interested

Also it's worth mentioning that had it been something like an impact crater or something simple on the surface, which is volcanic to begin with, the rampant glaciation would have destroyed much of the evidence and form. You can see what being stuck under a glacier did to this rock, as well as the sheer number of lakes they created from pulverizing the surface of the earth.
>>
File: Alan_Moore_(2).jpg (149KB, 528x678px) Image search: [Google]
Alan_Moore_(2).jpg
149KB, 528x678px
>>18452537
>You can see what being stuck under a glacier did to this rock
Huh? It made it look like a fork?

It you're implying the flat shiny surface on the specimen is due to glaciers you're wack. That's where the sample was sawed in pieces. Probably so it could be sold by weight.
>>
>>18452605
What part of "this is a rock I found" was unclear? I found this thing nearly twenty years ago back when I was a kid playing in the shallow lakes near the southernmost point of the circle.

The shiny part is where my father had it polished professionally so you can see the layering inside. He still has the other half of it, since he was the one who brought it to the mine site he worked at at the time to have it examined.
This thing is somewhat one of a kind since you don't find very many people trawling the bottoms of the lakes in the glacier sculpted landscape of Quebec, Canada.
>>
>>18452751
>layering inside

Not seeing any layering.

Looks like regular boring obsidian to me.
>>
>>18452751
So what the fork does your picture show about what a glacier did to the rock?
>>
>>18452761
>Not seeing any layering.
Well, I guess you're just a faggot then
>Looks like regular boring obsidian to me.
A retarded faggot who doesn't recognize 2.7 billion year old sandstone.
>>
>>18452774
sandstone has clearly visible sand grains

That's glassy.
>>
>>18452774
Who told you that was sandstone? They lied to you.
>>
>>18452761
There's nothing boring about Obsidian...
>>
>>18452751

BUT WHAT DOES THE FORK MEAN?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.