[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fairy Folklore/Mythology Books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

File: gnome.jpg (12KB, 220x303px) Image search: [Google]
gnome.jpg
12KB, 220x303px
What is a good book about old fairy folklore and mythology in the Middle Ages?

No New Age fairy junk please.
>>
>>18430478
Oops, OP here forgot to mention that I am a girl
>>
>>18430642
not sure how that matters you want to be ghey and learn bout faries thats your thing who are we to judge . half this board probably tried to make a tulpa for sexual gratification. in a technical sense i guess thats masturbation

any ways there isnt much of anything op most people were illiterate back then. most folklore was word of mouth and the church was like books are evil and since people couldnt read most of the time harmless non occult books got people killed when the church wanted to keep people in line

as a result much of europes folklore is just small fragments of ideas
>>
>>18430642
and that matters why?
>>
>>18430478
Bumping the thread. In about one hour I will be at home and then I will link some books.
>>
>>18430478
I have a very real gnome story if you want to hear it.
>Well it happened, can't say it was gnomes presay.
>>
>>18430478
OK, I'm at home.

If there are any of these links offline, please tell me.

I will post a rant after this list.

Fairies: Real Encounters with Little People
Janet Bord
https://a.pomf.cat/pwiayq.pdf [uploaded again in 06dec2016]

The Anatomy of Puck: An Examination of Fairy Beliefs Among Shakespeare and his Contemporaries
Katharine Mary Briggs
https://a.pomf.cat/komzvi.pdf

An Encyclopedia of Fairies
Katharine Mary Briggs
(This is a zip file with pages scanned in JPG format. You can use a "comic book reader" to view it, or just extract the images after changing the extension to .zip)
http://www30.zippyshare.com/v/WJeUWZBs/file.html

The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries
Walter Yeeling Evans-Wentz
https://a.pomf.cat/scusaa.pdf [uploaded again in 06dec2016]

The Elizabethan Fairies: The Fairies Of Folklore and The Fairies Of Shakespeare
Minor White Latham
https://a.pomf.cat/laejaz.pdf

A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits
Carol K. Mack & Dinah Mack
https://a.pomf.cat/trxqaz.pdf

Walker Between Worlds: A New Edition of the Secret Commonwealth of Elves, Fauns and Fairies
Robert J. Stewart
https://a.pomf.cat/thwlwd.pdf

Two "generic" books about monsters, including but not limited to fays, which I consider essential reads:

Monsters: An Investigator's Guide to Magical Beings (second edition)
John Michael Greer
https://a.pomf.cat/wycfdz.pdf [uploaded again in 06dec2016]

Daimonic Reality: A Field Guide to the Otherworld
Patrick Harpur
https://a.pomf.cat/xvwfsc.pdf
>>
TL;DR avoid fairies. They are dangerous.

And now, the rant.

Please refer to the Monsters book for details, I will use the categories defined on it.

What you call a fairy has some overlap with other things, which are actually spirits, according to the book.

Magic theory states there are other "dimensions" (not a good word, but for starters it should suffice), which are called levels.

These levels range, so to say, from pure matter to pure spirit. For the purpose of our discussion there are five of them: physical, etheric, astral, mental, and spiritual.

We exist in all these levels, but our awareness normally is focused on the physical level. You can define this level as physical matter and energy, more or less as understood by modern science.

The next level "up", a bit less material, a bit more spiritual, is the etheric level. Yes, the word was borrowed from 19th century physics.

Our material body exists in the physical level. There is an etheric body as well. This etheric body is what keeps us alive.

Death occurs when the etheric body loses its link with the physical body. Normally the etheric body is unconscious when disconnected. In some circumstances it remains awake, forming some kinds of ghosts, and more rarely, what's defined on that book as a vampire.

The disconnected etheric body normally decays and dies in about a week. This process is called second death.

Now, the fairies. Fairies don't exist in the physical level. They are beings of the etheric level. In their "dimension", they look like multicolored balls or ovoids. People normally perceive them through a natural ability they have, of reading our minds and projecting a species of image based on the mind content. Here, "what you see is what you believe." And so, the "fairies" can take many forms: little people; in Asia, shapeshifting white foxes; in America, grays. So far, so good.
>>
>>18432443
Like I said, they are dangerous. For two reasons.

First one: they have a species of mixture, which if you eat, disconnect your physical body from your etheric body, but avoiding the second death. Which means, you "die" but stays trapped essentially forever in their dimension. Because of their illusion projection abilities, they can make this look like anything they want. So here is the first rule when dealing with fairies:

Never eat their food.

Second: it seems there are several types of fairies. Each of them is different from one another, of course. And they will react to different situations in their own, unpredictable ways. The etheric level is very different from ours. The minds of the beings there evolved in ways adapted to their environment, which has its own laws. They are very different from us, which makes impossible to understand their antics. And they have their own, from our viewpoint twisted, sense of humor. They are not beyond practical jokes, and their opinion of what is acceptable is not the same as ours.

But in one thing they are similar: they have their own taboos. Break those, and like with humans, you will be in a world of hurt. What to expect? Folklore tells about some of them. Refer to the books above, specially Briggs' Encyclopedia, before even thinking to contact those things, which I can't recommend, because eventually you will offend them, and then consequences will happen.
>>
>>18432380
Thanks for the recommendations and the rant, anon. I will check those out.

>>18432287
Please post the story. I want to read.
>>
>>18430679
It's a meme.
>>
>>18432478
Do the books explain how to contact them?

I'm not certain that I would want to at this point obviously. I am intrigued though.
>>
>>18432664
I know of a system to "work" with fairies.
I never tried it though, for obvious reasons.

The Tree of Enchantment: Ancient Wisdom and Magic Practices of the Faery Tradition
Orion Foxwood
https://a.pomf.cat/huvigf.pdf
>>
>ctrl-f "Brian Froud"
>0 results

Poor display, /x/ he's the objective best
>>
>>18432670
What part of multicolored spheres or ovoids projecting illusions you did not understand?

And that is the cover of the old one.
You should have posted the link of the new edition at least:
https://www.amazon.com/Faeries-Deluxe-Collectors-Brian-Froud/dp/0810995867

If you have scans, anyway, post them. There are a lot of good books I don't reference because I don't have them to post.
>>
>>18432695
I'll probably buy some of the books, if they sound good. Tell me more.

Tell me more about how to work with fairies please, in case I don't come across that information. This is all very interesting to me.
>>
>>18432703
Foxwood's book linked in >>18432668 should be enough to work with them.

The books I linked in this thread fill my own criteria. If you want a longer list of books, not terribly update but useful, check this:

http://www.fairyist.com/books-on-fairies/

You could do way worse than poking around all the site. The author publishes a regular column in the Fortean Times magazine, "Fairies, Folklore and Forteana." Locating the magazine on torrents should be trivial.

Before buying any book, please read the Amazon reviews first. Especially the critical ones.
>>
File: page.png (2MB, 2477x3505px) Image search: [Google]
page.png
2MB, 2477x3505px
>>18432719
Here, a sample of Simon Young's columns.
>>
>>18432626
I'm back. So yeah, happened when I was in college. Just to state before I begin, I myself was sober that day aside from just smoking a little bud, nothing to dramatically alter my senses. I'll use real locations too, which I usually am purposly vague on for anonymity (change names of anons).

The Stanley Park Gnomes
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Park_(Westfield,_Massachusetts)
>Westfield State University, around 2011
>Me and my friends use to a journey through this park almost everyday. It was the gathering place for all the freaks and geeks of the school
>I was the "Trip Guide" for this day, I hadn't tripped myself for a couple months at this point, and knew the trails better than anyone else.
>I wouldn't mention this fact if I don't think it had an influence in the matter
>So, had a fun day, but it began to rain
>We were at an area dubbed "The Reeds" and I was ushering everyone out.
>Decided to take a shortcut through a woodsy less beaten path to make a b-line back to school.
>Walking up a steep hill, we found ourselves at an area known as the shelter.
>I have seen occultist preforming rituals here once and know a kid had an heroed there too, so always held it with a reverence but with little fear myself as I was comfortable with those woods myself.
>As we worked our way back and the rain picked up, we took a bend around and the trail was covered in a slick mud.
>Everyone was struggling to get up the hill while they were shrooming out and I took the tail to make sure they could make it.
>As I waited, I looked around for a second.
>"Hey guys, what's this?"
>Cont.
>>
>>18432727
>Anon 1 "what's what?"
>Me: "Look at this rock, what the fuck?"
>It was a rock split completely in half, like by a laser or something
>Anons: "Come on, it's cold as fuck right now"
>Me: "No, No, seriously, what is this?"
>Bare in mind they are all tripping and just wanted to get out of the rain, and we're riding off my confusion as they were in a different state than I
>I look around, atleast a dozen of these rocks are scattered around the area
>Start to really get questioning of the surrounding
>Then I see them
>Perfectly constructed huts with pin needle roofs. I counted 6 of them, there could have been more.
>The time it would take to make each one , plus the detail seemed almost inhuman.
>These split rocks were also stacked in these little huts of about a foot size.
>"Guys! Fucking stop! Look at this!
>Anon 2: "Look at what?"
>Anon 3: "those things, probably some kids made them"
>Me: "no, children did not make these"
>Anons: "Come on let's go guide"
>Me thinking "the fuck, am I tripping too or something?"
>As we walked out, I had a feeling I was being watched like never before in that forest. It almost felt like I was in a different dimension for a moment until I cleared the hill.
>A day later, came back, absolutely no evidence of it.
INB4: they must have laced you, no, I wasn't tripping, I know that. Maybe then tripping did spur this though.
It was very surreal and my only explanation aside from a "I don't know" would be gnomes. Never thought I'd have a gnome situation in my life, and I'm an Eagle Scout.
Very strange, but also interesting and almost magical. I wasn't too scared, only I guess uneased.
>>
>>18432719
For example, book 8.
"Status: Ultra rare (not yet published in English), though it can be read in German and Italian."

Wrong. It is available in English now. It has a pretty damning review on Amazon.

Having been warned on the review, *which you should read* [ https://www.amazon.com/review/R39F26ZI2AWX3W/nodeID=283155 ], here is a readable copy:
https://a.pomf.cat/czmajz.pdf
>>
>>18432748
Pardon the typos.
I swear this experience was real and I was in a proper state that day. My friends ride it off for the most part aside from one that was there and saw it too. I know for a fact what I saw and can vividly recall it.
>>
>>18432748
The rocks were roughly egg shaped too and did not match the environment, if that lends anything to anyone with knowledge on this subject.
>>
File: Fotor_148194402095728.jpg (519KB, 1440x1365px) Image search: [Google]
Fotor_148194402095728.jpg
519KB, 1440x1365px
>>18432748
The green circle is the reeds, and the orange one is where I saw this.
It is close to houses, I know, but like I said, the time and effort, plus the perfectly split rocks are pretty unexplainable. (Hence why some of them road it off as kids).
>>
>>18432762
For reference, in this part
>It almost felt like I was in a different dimension for a moment until I cleared the hill.
What you experienced is called "Oz factor". Google is your friend.
The strangeness comes from the fact you were not exactly seeing with your eyes. Mind you, what you were seeing could not be *only* a projection. There are "etheric senses" in humans, that more or less parallel ordinary sight and touch. And which allow you to see the fairies in their dimension, so to say.

Sensibility varies for each person, but magic theory states (sorry, I'm in armchair state now and I can't confirm this) that one can improve a lot through practice of ritual magic.

>>18432767
It is possible the egg shaped (ovoid means this) "rocks" you were seeing were actually some of them.
>>
>>18432787
I have to sleep now. If the thread is still up in about eight hours and you guys have questions, I will reply them. Keep it bumped.

And I should read the story in >>18432727 and >>18432748 when I'm actually awake. Good night, Anons.
>>
>>18432787
>>18432787
I actually am familiar with the Oz Factor, but I was more of skeptic back then than I am now. I am due for a revisit to that park soon, as I love that area. I've seen ghost "effects" before (never an apparition aside from mediation or rare trips) and an Unidentified Flying Object once, but this was different. I genuinely felt magic in the air, almost like somethings where playing a trick on me, especially given the situation I was in. It was like they knew I would be rushed out of there by my friends which I was caring for.
>>
>>18432787
Hmm, that's and interesting take that I never considered. The ovoid or egg rocks that I found were scattered amongst the area and some where in the huts. It if they were humanoid shaped I would have automatically assumed this. Very interesting take. I picked a couple of them up, but actually... I had an overwhelming feeling not to take one back with me for proof. When I thought that, I had a feeling of doom. That's the what made me uneasy. Aside from that, it was a mystical feeling.
>>
>>18432719
These look great.

Thanks again for the help and info, anon.
>>
>>18432802
UFO literature is important, for in many cases fairies and grays are the same thing.

What interests you here is the concept of "window areas", where UFOs are seen frequently.

Yes, you should return there, but perhaps going in the same time of the year you were there before would be good. And if possible, don't carry objects containing iron with you.

Could you tell us day and month when it happened?
>>
>>18432815
I think you may be right on this...
>>
>>18432822
Not to confuse, that's me (storyteller there) it's, just hitting me now.
>>
>>18432819
April 2011 I believe, the snow had just melted but no leaves yet.
>>
>>18432819
The UFO I saw was in a Boston Suburb on New Years Day 1/1/2012 and another a couple months ago in Cape Elizabeth Maine (August this year). Never saw one in Stanley myself but have heard people siting all sort of strange things in those woods. Check the wiki I put at the beginning of the story, very odd and beautiful park. In the Wilderness Reserve that stretches about 5 miles is where all of these sitings are. UFOs, Sprits, Native Americans, Odd Creatures/Cryptids, you name it, someone has a story.
>>
Which are their taboos? I always see people mentioning them in every fairy thread but no one would give an example
>>
>>18433307
U step on twig twig, they do the frig frig
>>
File: Rackham Flower fairy original.jpg (139KB, 800x781px) Image search: [Google]
Rackham Flower fairy original.jpg
139KB, 800x781px
The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People (originally published as The Fairy Mythology) by Thomas Keightly has a section on Middle Age Romance.
>>
>>18433307
The list here was compiled from many places. It is by no means complete, but it serves as a sample of the apparently silly things you may stumble upon.

Iron repels fairies and can kill them if it is brought in contact with their bodies.
Not a firm rule, because some fairies live in the water. But many types cannot cross running water.
The technical reason for the iron and running water rules above is that those things "disperse concentrated etheric patterns", like say, fairies themselves. Think strong acid.
Sunlight is a problem for many types of fairies.
Turning your clothes inside out.
Placing your shoes with the toes pointing away from the bed.
Fastening small bells to your clothes. Then do not like the sound of bells in general. Obnoxious alarm clocks included.
Time passes in a different way in Fairyland. Sometimes, nothing happens. Sometimes, you spend a lot of time there and when you come back, only minutes passed. But in certain cases, people spend some days there and when they come back, much more time passed. Like hundreds of years. Then they try to eat or drink and crumble into dust or vanish.
Do not dance with them. This is always bad, because it is a situation where this time difference will be triggered for sure.
Tradition tells that in some hours and days it is easier to meet them. Noon, dusk, midmight, early dawn. May [First] Day, Midsummer Eve, Halloween.
Looking them in the eye. You can gain control over some faries doing this, while you hold that gaze.

It goes on, but it was too big for one post.
>>
>>18433672
Here is the rest.

They do not like disorder and untidiness. Beware, NEETs.
Rudness, selfishness, lack of generosity, people who are moody or melancholy.
Lies or deceptions by humans. Even evil faeries do not lie, although they may seriously mislead or deceive.
Using their magic potions and items without permission.
Theft of faery possessions by humans. I WILL PROVE FAIRIES EXIST TAKING THIS THING BACK WITH ME. No, you won't. Though they think it perfectly acceptable to steal from people, they are furious if people steal from them. Similarly, they have no sense of humor if one of their tricks gets played back on them.
Humans who boast of faery gifts they've received.
You make an agreement with them, and you break it. Let's say that would be unwise.
Rudness, selfishness, lack of generosity, people who are moody or melancholy. In other words, Anon.

This one again, to reinforce it.
They do not like to be disrespected. The fact they can read human minds with a reasonable degree of accuracy does not help. Do not try to trick them.

And lastly, romance. For reasons, which I won't mention here so that you are not tempted, read the books if you want details, romance with fairies is interesting. But nope. Almost in all cases it doesn't end well. You can break one of their rules or taboos, accidentally or not, and at best you will be dumped, and at worst, use your imagination.
>>
>>18433461
You can get this book in some places.

For .pdf, here:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=thomas%20keightley%20fairy

For .epub, here:
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=thomas+keightley+fairy

Both sites above, Internet Archive (legal books) and Library Genesis (pirated ones) are your friends.

You can borrow some books at https://openlibrary.org/ that are not available for download at the Internet Archive. You can keep the books you borrowed by removing their DRM. Since this is not /g/, I will just give you a hint: Apprentice Alf's Blog.
>>
>>18430478
That's a tomtenissar.
>>
>>18433675
Thank you, this is all really nice to know. Though the water thing makes me wonder, aren't mermaids and nereids some kind of fairy?
>>
>>18434066
Yes, they are etheric beings, but they live in the water instead than in land.
Check the Monsters book in >>18432380. It also has a chapter on mermaids.
>>
File: gnomes.jpg (123KB, 1023x934px) Image search: [Google]
gnomes.jpg
123KB, 1023x934px
Thoughts on this one? I used to love it as a kid.
>>
File: paranormalTEXTS.png (485KB, 1129x811px) Image search: [Google]
paranormalTEXTS.png
485KB, 1129x811px
>>18434141
>>
File: Shhh, no tears.png (58KB, 420x294px) Image search: [Google]
Shhh, no tears.png
58KB, 420x294px
>>18434141
That book has a sequel, "Secrets of the Gnomes."
>An account of the life and work of gnomes, based on first-hand observations by the author and artist, who, themselves turned into gnomes, visited with gnomes in Lapland and Siberia.
>themselves turned into gnomes
>>
>>18434141
It is available for borrowing on the Internet Archive.

https://a.pomf.cat/ltmtcp.cbz

The thing above is a .zip file. It is supposed to be viewed with a "comic reader" but you can just rename it to .zip and extract the .jpg images from it.
>>
>>18432380

Any good reading material on the ethereal? More specifically the strengthening or the manipulation of it. The Monsters book seems to mention it a lot but doesn't go into too much detail about it.
>>
File: gnome.jpg (30KB, 577x408px) Image search: [Google]
gnome.jpg
30KB, 577x408px
>>18434175
>>
>>18434454
You would need to start practicing ritual magic. Go to >>>/x/omg and start at the Beginners folder.
>>
>>18434795
Merci
>>
>>18434208
There is always a troll saying this is infected.
http://a.pomf.cat/hlxugf.pdf
>>
>>18435095
Sure buddy, you're really in the Christmas spirit aren't you?
>>
File: 347879_900.jpg (65KB, 465x600px) Image search: [Google]
347879_900.jpg
65KB, 465x600px
>>18435095
>>18433684
>>18432749
>>18432380

>providing content, knowledge bombs, all this awesome stuff to read/save

thanks, anon. wish there were more anons around like you, pal.
>>
>>18432815
A second thing I forgot to mention.

"Sunlight is a problem for many types of fairies."

I don't know how sunlight affects them. Maybe the condition reverses at night.

However, I can't help but think of Tolkien's trolls, that turn into stone when exposed to sunlight. He drew from European folklore to write their books.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.