[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

human myth vs actual cryptids

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 12

Can we talk about the universal common threads found in humanity's mythological history? i was reading up on inuit mythology when i came across the creature known as Ijiraq- its descriptions are incredibly similar to skinwalker legends. the Tariaksuq as well. wolf-human hybrids, shapeshifters, giant sea creatures, wildmen, and other mythological tropes are found in most human cultures with few variations.

is this simply a result of humanity's subconscious fears materializing themselves through our most ancient art of storytelling? or is it evidence that these things exist alongside us, we've just forgotten/ignored them in recent times?
>>
I tend to think they're real. The whole "everything is a product of human psychology" thing wears kind of thin for me.
>>
>>18428237
ur momma ass is a cryptid
>>
bumpan
>>
>>18428279
Things like incubus are connected with Rem phase related problems such sleep paralysis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
other are born from people with severe malformation.
>>
>>18429449
and Lilith...
>>
>>18428237
Maybe it's a mass conciseness thing.
>>
It is very, very unlikely that it is a collective subconcious thing. At least to me. Dragons? Maybe. That makes sense as a collective fear of snakes, crocodiles, and the like. But you'd imagine that people who never dealt with large reptiles would have eventually changed the myth, such as Europeans. But they never did. Dragons in Europe, China, and The Americas are VERY similar.

But where did our fear of shapshifting humans/other-dimensional creatures come from? Our fear of giant humanoids? I mean you can grasp at straws and abstract some of that but if you take it as it is, and with facts...it just doesn't make sense. We never faced giant people. And people who could have scared others by imitating animals would had to have predated the fear. They didn't. Not as far as we know.

Lastly one question I have to raise is this. If monsters like the OP brings up are a collective leftover fear from our past, why are giant spider monsters not the most common? Giant ants, bees, other dangerous insects and arachnids? The fact is, giant creepy crawlies are rare. Very rare when you compare them to Dragons for example.
>>
>>18428237
>>18429700
The one that always attracted my attention was the presence of giant snakes in most mythologies, even in places that don't feature a lot of reptiles.
>>
>>18429771
Or giant sea snakes/sea reptiles. In places nowhere near the ocean.
>>
>>18429700
>Lastly one question I have to raise is this. If monsters like the OP brings up are a collective leftover fear from our past, why are giant spider monsters not the most common? Giant ants, bees, other dangerous insects and arachnids? The fact is, giant creepy crawlies are rare.

Are you retarded?
Giant insects fucked off milllions of years before humans.
>>
>>18430606
There are still very large insects walking about on this Earth dudeman.
>>
File: Destination Truth - Unicorn.jpg (40KB, 511x581px) Image search: [Google]
Destination Truth - Unicorn.jpg
40KB, 511x581px
>>18428237 (OP)
>Can we talk about the universal common threads found in humanity's mythological history?

Joseph Campbell is a mythologist and writer whose works you may want to check out for further info, OP. I have The Hero with A Thousand Faces on my bedside, and just looked through the index for some examples. There is mention of the succubus (the temptation of St Anthony) and shapeshifter (the Greek god Proteus) but only briefly, utilized to illuminate the hero's journey. There is much more on serpents and dragons in this book, though, and I will look into that for you. In fact, somewhere in the house here, I have another book of collected essays of his. If I can find it this weekend, I'll see if there's any mention of cryptids/monsters worth posting about ITT. (I think, if anything, his work would give you ideas/info to look into, like you did with the Ijiraq.)

You may have heard of him. Your question made me think of his comparative mythology work right away. I'm not familiar with all of his works, but I think it's less about the 'creatures' or myths themselves, and more what they meant to the different peoples who had stories of them, and even more so, what comparing these ancient religious and mythical themes and archetypes could mean for us today.

I think his answer to your question would be that these myths were fears manifested in art and in stories. But that they do exist today also (perhaps but within us, not beside us) and like you said, we've forgotten...

one more Campbell thing for you to ponder:
Some hero adventure myths have a magical helper who guides or protects the hero - the Navaho have the Spider Woman, "a grandmotherly little dame who lives underground", in this role. In Europe, she'd have been the familiar helpful crone or a fairy godmother... it's not always "fear" that's manifested in our tales and dreams...
>>
File: jbafofi.jpg (91KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
jbafofi.jpg
91KB, 500x332px
>>18429700
We actually don't know that much about ancient mythology, most stories were oral, and haven't survived to our days, most cryptids are recent, it's one of those things that people actually keeps updating.

Besides that there is plenty of mythological spiders, there's myths all over the world with them, you are just thinking of euro myths.
>>
File: cloning tank real.jpg (17KB, 599x315px) Image search: [Google]
cloning tank real.jpg
17KB, 599x315px
>>18429700
>But they never did. Dragons in Europe, China, and The Americas are VERY similar.

They actually aren't in the slightest. Much of our understanding of those cultures, mythologies, faith traditions, etc is distorted as hell. You had a bunch of 18th and 19th century anthropologists trying to wrap their heads around very foreign concepts, with extreme Eurocentrism not helping their ability to do this with much accuracy. See the way the British lumped together a bazillion often radically differing regional faith traditions in India as "Hinduism" and wasted tons of resources pursuing and trying to figure out what the nonexistant "Hindu Bible" was because they were trying to make sense of it all by finding any analogy they could with Christianity/Abrahamic faiths, no matter how flimsy.

The reason everyone thinks dragons are some kind of universal element in human mythology is a million cases of Dr. Lord Chucklefuck of the Knightly Imperial Cartographer Society's Gossip Guild slapping the label "dragon" on anything the locals describe from their belief system or local legends that has remotely reptilian features. Evil firebreathing flying monster that steals maidens? Dragon. Aquatic serpent deity that swims in the river? Dragon. Heavenly wingless creature with scales that has immense power, symbolizes good luck and brings prosperity? Dragon.
>>
File: tumblr_nn7a6oYGg31tyc3mlo3_540.jpg (23KB, 526x251px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nn7a6oYGg31tyc3mlo3_540.jpg
23KB, 526x251px
>>18429700
>>18429771
>>18429776
Some of the biggest threats to early man were either reptilian or large quadrupeds. The ancestors of humanity that survived the longest were the ones with an innate instinct to fuck away from anything that matched that description. It seems pretty natural that a combination of the two would be pretty deeply rooted as a genetically predisposed fear.
>>
>>18432917
Found another tidbit of Joseph Campbell offers on the subject, OP.

>pic related
>>
>>18433772
another excerpt from the same book, Paranormal Nation.
1/2
>>
>>18433775
2/2
>>
>>18432917
Just for reference, you can get a .pdf here:
http://en.bookfi.net/md5/AC7EB1BC54626D16B94A34980D80ED08
>>
>>18433772
>>18433775
>>18433781
"Takes a deep breath"
>>
File: 1246318972107.jpg (1MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1246318972107.jpg
1MB, 1440x900px
>>18434162
That sort of looks like that Iconic Doom image, except retarded.
>>
>>18430606
>are you retarded?

No, but you may be.

The idea that monsters we fear are subconcious fears, is based on the idea that we blow smaller creatures out of proportion. Like dragons.
>>
>>18432962
Asian, Native American, and parts of African myths lack insects.

And generally, in say...Egypt. Insectoid monsters, gods, myths, etc. Are seen as positive.
>>
>>18433087
I'm using the term Dragon broadly.

Large reptiles are in virtually every culture and share many sinilarities regardless. It isn't like there isn't original texts or historians who preserved more of the original story.

See: China, as an example. A place that was insulated agsinst Europe for thousands of years and had its very own recorded history even further back than some of Europe.
>>
>>18433092
Yeah but insects, and arachnids fucked us over too.
>>
File: community_image_1406238575.gif (2MB, 381x214px) Image search: [Google]
community_image_1406238575.gif
2MB, 381x214px
>>18434595
You're retarded.
>>
File: 1330729880223.gif (1MB, 478x218px) Image search: [Google]
1330729880223.gif
1MB, 478x218px
>>18434641
Still looks pretty "like Doom, but lame and gay".
Oh man, don't tell me it's from that last Call Of Duty.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.