[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what makes a horror film scary for you?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: 1463707417444.jpg (21KB, 300x415px) Image search: [Google]
1463707417444.jpg
21KB, 300x415px
what makes a horror film scary for you?
>>
>>18397375
Isolation, intelligent creatures, space, sensorial deprivation.

Favourite horror: alien
>>
Things that look unnatural or subtlety unnerving in the context of something that's real , or normally depicted otherwise.
In Harry Potter , Remus Lupin turns into that lanky , malnourished looking Werewolf. It's in a movie and a universe where things aren't usually so eerie which makes it worse , as well I'm used to Werewolves being portrayed differently. It's the disturbing nature of something that shouldn't be that puts me off.
>>
Generally, the more outrageous or outlandish it is, the less scary it is. I've been got by a couple of well set up jumps cares in otherwise terrible movies. The Descent had a pretty good one.

But jump scares do not make a scary movie for me. It's the movies that are almost real, where there either is no monster or it's never revealed with any clarity. I liked the Babadook. The setup was pretty good, and I always enjoy the bit where the characters think they're going mad, though I thought the end was a bit overdone.

To be honest, I have trouble with horror films because I tend to get bored and stop watching them if they aren't done well enough. Like, I remember the first Paranormal Activity was okay-ish, but I got bored and booted up my DS to play Pokemon and only half watched most of the movie.

If someone has some good recs, I'm paying attention.
>>
Space and hell (ie event horizon)
>>
>>18397405
I don't watch many either , after a while it's all the same , everyone will die except for the main character , or the twist is the main character dies too. Oh no , he got murdered , what did you think was going to happen when theirs a murderer going around and you're trying to hunt it instead of running like a sensable person.
>>
>>18397375

Not being cheap as fuck. Not having stupid actors.
>>
>>18397375
The less is more: the empty hallway or room partially covered in darkness, or discrepancy between what we hear and see and what the characters hear and see (The Blair Witch Project). The atmosphere of unsureness.
>>
>>18397375

Black people not dying.
>>
File: IMG_0742.jpg (478KB, 801x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0742.jpg
478KB, 801x640px
Skeletons.
>>
when the cops really do believe you;
when the doors aren't locked;
when you don't trip when running;
when you don't investigate further;
when you do the most rational, sensible thing to do --
and it still doesn't work
also: torture instead of getting killed
>>
>>18397444 *sings* And shivers down your spine
>>
If the monster is one of my personal fears, like The Thing, or any zombie movie cause I am terrified by the concept of the dead rising just to shamble around and feast on meat, or if it's a psychological thing like 1408
Also if it's just not shitty
>>
>>18397375
I think the most frightening horror films are those in which the horror seems all pervasive. Rather than having a monster that inhabits a generally intelligible and benevolent world, the monstrosity IS the world. The horror is like an ontological given -- as much a part of the universe as gravity or solid state matter.

Examples might be Ju-On, Alien, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Night of the Living Dead
>>
The ones with the slow burn that are grounded in reality. Orphan, Skeleton Key, Babadook, shit even Candyman.
>>
Non jumpscare horror. When the monster ghost or whatever is in the room, in plain sight, but in a way where you don't notice it at first (i.e. peeking at you through the doorway and you don't notice it for the first couple minutes). sp00ps me good.
>>
>>18397375
The type of creepy atmosphere which usually indicates jump scare..

The little things. Like shit creeping from a window without it being the center of the shot. Not very common in movies to use this type of shit unfortunately...
>>
>>18397375
For me it's usually atmosphere combined with a concept that's disturbing to many people whether on a psychological, biological, or even moral level
>>
>>18397375
Being believable.
>>
Atmosphere, realism aka not Tarantino-tier movies with ketchup blood, filming set, psychology factor, story, buildup, no clichés and overall believable story.

There are great psychological movies that tap into the mind which are quite potent in scary-factor.

+400 horror movies watched, from cult classics to modern movies. There are few gems and quite a lot of trash overall
>>
>>18397444
wtf trips I just turned the light back on, I was about to sleep!!!!
>>
>>18397375
A great suspense horror movie proves that less is more.
>>
>>18399996
I remember in blair witch 2, there was a scene with the witch or something in the background looking in the window. I cant seem to find that clip.
>>
My jimmies are not easily rustled. I guess the obligatory jump scare. I really enjoy isolated SHTF type movies though. I find it kinda "cozy" about surviving while everything is in disarray and making ones way through obstacles to some end point. "For reference apartment from 28 days later, also will smiths place in that other movie where he is the last person alive in Manhattan or something" . Isolation is fucking terrifying
>>
>>18397375
high class, intellectual urbanites who wouldnt normally be spooked by plebeian folk tales.
>rosemary's baby
>the exorcist
>the orphan
>woman in black
>etc
>>
File: 1474394049339.gif (2MB, 500x486px) Image search: [Google]
1474394049339.gif
2MB, 500x486px
>>18397375
JUMP SCARES! lots and lots of jump scares. holy fuck i cant stand those!
>>
It's all about the music, actually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMMX8dkbXEU
>>
when the situation is something id get myself into. like, you know the classic "dont go in the,UGH you idiot," well if it is something that i would fall for or the protagonist does what i would do. that makes it scary for me
>>
paranormal activity stuff. maybe some medevl creepy dark horror. or being trapped
>>
nothing
>>
Seeing people suffer in a way where they can't fight back
>>
how realistic it is, and generally this for me stems from found footage movies

I used to watch a lot of ghost hunters back in the day and I think that impacted how scary I find found footage movies to be
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.