[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think it would be like to not exist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

File: 46321987.jpg (155KB, 541x550px) Image search: [Google]
46321987.jpg
155KB, 541x550px
If there is no heaven or hell, or any sort of afterlife, what do you think it will be like to not exist? Would it be a black void, a white void, a color we cannot comprehend because it is literally -nothing-?
>>
Black void, white void, all of those are examples of existence. Non-existence doesn't exist.
>>
>>18349389
So in that moment of infinite nothingness, we just go out like that. Time no longer exists, the universe no longer exists. What next?
>>
>>18349392
More existence
>>
>>18349392
Nothing. It's nonsensical to talk about what it would 'be' like to not exist. Might as well ask what something would look like if it's 100% transparent.
>>
>>18349404
I'm sorry. I'm just trying to wrap my mind around it. I cannot comprehend it, because to comprehend it is to have something, and for something to not exist it must be nothing.
>>
>>18349364

The closest idea that we can come to is probably that of floating in a space suit in the vast void of vacuum space that is the universe. In which case there is nothing externally outside of the subject other than sextillions of beautiful stars surrounding their every direction and an infinitely stretching space that is the mind in which the subject may choose to recede into if the eternal fireworks show that is the universe becomes too boring. One adept at meditation may spend their final hours in meditative bliss before dying of starvation and being released of their mortal coil followed by that which nobody knows although can guess would be most likely an entering back into the spirit realm, the ocean of eternal consciousness, reincarnation into some other consciousness transmission receiving mortal coil, or real nothingness, which is as the other anons have said, is no liable of experience. In each case, the conclusion is always the same. "Nothing" is nothing to fear and even the worst of pain always comes to an end in some way or another.
>>
File: 1478017058784.png (147KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1478017058784.png
147KB, 400x300px
>>18349425
Whoa.
You've given me a lot to think about.
>>
>>18349428

I've spent alot of time obsessing about this notion. Eternity and nothingness used to give me night terrors as a child. I think this universe is crafted perfectly and infinitely so that we (consciousness) are all immortal but have death in between our lives so we experience the perfect cycle that is death and rebirth, creation and destruction instead of just a never ending single form. This ever changing universe of infinite amounts of lifeforms and objects in space may actually be argued as a never ending single form. Although the never ending change is what makes it perfect. Impermanence is the only permanent thing really. At least these are the conclusions I've come to so far in life.
>>
What part of nothingness is hard to understand?

A black void or a white void doesn't matter. If you have no memory and witness no change, it will not look like anything to you.

There would be no you, no time, no perception. Nothing. Think about when you're unconscious while sleeping. What does that look like?

If you died in your sleep, would you ever know it?

You only know you had a good sleep when you wake up, remember what happened before, and assess how your body feels in that moment. There is nothing to know about the deep sleep that happened in between.

It's not some mysterious unknowable condition. It's literally nothing.
>>
File: kokopelli.gif (41KB, 236x295px) Image search: [Google]
kokopelli.gif
41KB, 236x295px
>>18349364
Do you remember what it was like last night when you were asleep?

Like that.
>>
If I was nothing before I was born, how did I become something? If I can become something from nothing once then why can't I do so again?
>>
>>18349364
god damn this thread us full of tards..
Its exactly like before you was born faggot. There is nothing. no black. no white. nothing.
>>
>>18349554

You sure know lots of things and have a big dick, dontcha mister!

I'm just teasing. Be kind, stranger. If you have hate for others it means you have hate for yourself, and we don't like seeing that.
>>
>>18349364
I think, therefore I am, therefore if I were not, I would not think.
>>
>>18349499
Interesting... I wonder if you would "dream". I wonder if that could become your reality.
>>
It would be like nothing, because you wouldn't exist to experience anything. Because you're dead.

Not to be rude OP, I just hate people that ask questions like this. Obviously you won't experience anything when you're dead. Because your consciousness ceases to exist.
>>
Any y'all niggas experienced with dissociative drugs? It's the closest to what I what I think is being able to experience "non-existence".

I love it, the feeling of just being a dimensionless mathmatical point. It's like being an observer, like a cctv camera, you don't have to do anything apart from just watch and witness.

I think it isn't too good to experience this before you die however, as repeated exposure to this state has left me somewhat disengaged with the real world and depersonalised.
>>
>>18349699
You're pretty arrogant
>>
>>18349704

I went through a period of emptiness for a month after doing psilocybin mushrooms (quite recently actually) but then rediscovered it's all a choice of whether or not we want to play this game of Maia. During this period I felt a million miles away while in the same room with my beloved parents, food and pleasure seemed like transient and pointless, and I had trouble concentrated on school work due to a vague sense of nihilistic anxiety. I've rediscovered that we have a choice in the matter. I surrendered to the resistance I was having in accepting that one day I'll day, all I know will cease, and perhaps will all begin again just to face the same fate. I am okay with this now and choose to experience the present because that's all that there is. I've come to the conclusion that this world most likely is an illusion of nothingness, meaning that nothing and everything must be a reflection (albeit distorted) of one another. I've also come to the conclusion that in this limited human form, I will always walk bathed in ignorance and so it's impossible for me to know if this great, world shattering truth is even truth to begin with. I've chosen to continue on my career path, help others rise and love unconditionally as much as I have the strength to do so and inevitably face oblivion with a smile knowing that I have the choice to do so.

I don't know how much you can relate to my experience, but I only wrote in hopes that you aren't experiencing the same fearful nihilism that I was stuck in for awhile there. Much love, familiar stranger!
>>
File: ron weasley.jpg (229KB, 627x720px) Image search: [Google]
ron weasley.jpg
229KB, 627x720px
>>18349738

Wow I made alot of typos in that post. I hope it's understandable despite my dumbassery!
>>
that's a brilliant question
>>
>>18349705
No, he isnt.
How is that arrogant at all? Do you know what arrogant means? Sorry youre afraid to die but thats the truth.
>>
>>18349773
Fuck you, op had a legit question and was looking for more than "nothing." The whole point is that nobody knows what non-existence is like. Offer up some ideas or get fucked
>>
File: do i look like batman.png (776KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
do i look like batman.png
776KB, 1366x768px
>>18349792

If the anon you accused of being arrogant really is, at least he isn't aggressive and telling people to "get fucked". Just pointing this out. No need to get angry at anyone. If your goal really is to seek a useful or interesting exchange of ideas, get fucked-ing people is not the way, my dearest of all anons!
>>
>>18349798
Agreed. Let's get back to the topic. What are your ideas on what it could be like to not exist?
>>
>>18349809

Glad to see that, unfortunately I've already said all I've had to about the idea here: >>18349425
>>
>>18349412

Thankfully there is a heaven.

Ask and it shall be given you, seek and ye shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto you. Luke 11:9.

Jesus is lord

>>18349364
>>
>>18349364
it'd be like sleeping for all eternity, just nothingness, nothing at all
>>
Theoretically speaking, If there is death in life, there is life in death.
>>
It's just like it was before you were born
>>
>>18349364
I don't think it will be nothingness, but I also don't think that we'll remember this life either. Put it this way, we already experienced nothingness and non-existence during the time before we were born. We now are conscious beings. By realizing that, we should also realize that our consciousness sprang out of nothingness. If our consciousness sprang out of nothingness before, how can we say that it won't happen again? I think that these simple facts are almost proof of reincarnation in the sense that we will experience multiple different consciousnesses over the lifespan of the universe.
>>
>>18349938
You're correct in that "We" will live again. Every Universal configuration, including this one, will happen again and again... infititely. That's just entropy + infinite "time".

Well done. 2 internets for you.
>>
>>18350443
.. even further, We have ALWAYS existed, and always will.

There is no absolute beginning to the Universe (everything), because there had to be some cause. There always has to be a preceding cause to every thing. No thing can exist without some other thing existing before it.
>>
>>18349364
>would be like to not exist?
>be
you don't understand anon
you are not being anymore
>>
>>18349364
Your question is a contradiction in terms and makes no sort of sense
>>
>>18349364
I imagine it would be a lot like being you OP. A fucking nobody.
>>
OP if you want to know what it means to be nothing just meditate and turn off your thoughts. This includes your emotions and any other sensations too. Do it through sheer willpower and you'll know what the void is like. The void is the keeper of truth.
>>
>>18349364
Nothing. It would be like nothing.
>>
>>18349364
Thinking is physical brain activity. You can't think nothing. You can be nothing and everything. No thinking can comprehend that.
>>
Some day everything ends.

...or maybe gets rebooted in a way.

Think what that would mean. You would life infinite times. You're alive right now. Wouldn't that mean it could be possible for you to be conscious again in a few trillion years in some other life form? Having infinite amount of joy and sorrow, in every way imaginable. Thinking about the latter one makes me uncomfortable. I want to be gone for good.
>>
If there was nothing, then I would assume it would just be like what 1979 was like for me. I was born in 81. It would be like before you were born. You didn't exist. Period. I however don't think that's what it's like. I lean more towards reincarnation. I read this a while ago, it's not what I necessarily exactly believe, but I thought it was a pretty cool concept. http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
>>
>>18349573

He is right though. I've always thought it's a great comparison. What was it like before you were born? That's what it'll be like after you go
>>
i like the saying, "Do you remember your life before you were born?" It will be just like that. You came from nothing and will return to nothing. It's actually not that scary cuz you wont be there to experience it.
>>
Nothing. We'd be dead. We can't experience anything because we'd just be as dead as our body. Our consciousness and mind not only physically dead but spiritually, emotionally and mentally dead. There wouldn't be anything to see really. We're most likely to say a very bright light and then just die. A bright light would be the last thing we'd ever see just like the first thing we've ever seen was pure darkness inside our mothers. The exact opposite. Think about it. We were dead before we were born. Nothing happened to us because we weren't even born yet. Therefore we couldn't properly form a consciousness because we didn't exist. Unless you're talking about our fathers sperm and mothers egg then we technically sort of did but didn't. Like I said we weren't formed enough to have a consciousness. Sure you can argue that there's such thing as heaven or hell and ghosts and dragons etc and you can argue about the mandala effect even though it's merely just an incorrect memory a paranoid idiot has. Maybe I'm one of those drones in these "simulations" after all you could just perceive me the only way you can. A text on the screen. How do you really know I'm real? Because if I wasn't real I wouldn't be talking to you right now. Anyway back to shit like reincarnation. Yep that's pretty stupid. Our consciousness doesn't pass on to other bodies once we die. The closest to that is that we have been passed down from generation a slightly different version of our ancestors in order to make our species grow. The last thing we see should be light or darkness but we won't just be in a dark or light mist of nothingness for eternity. Unless you can somehow prove me wrong with scientific evidence otherwise this is just speculation and conspiracy theories at this point.
>>
>>18349364
It will be fucking awesome
>>
Just like the way it was before you were born
>>
>>18349531
Define "I or you". You are that thing that transformed to a human from sperms. You got your brain, body, etc.

If "you" become another human from nothing, then is it still you? Aren't we all you then?
>>
>>18353048
>You came from nothing and will return to nothing.
>a thing can't return into nothing, and nothing can return into a thing. Things transform.
>>
>>18349499

Damn. That's a brilliant answer. I was wondering how to put it myself, but that's one of the best explanations I've ever heard, because it's something everyone experiences.

I guess for some people you might have to clarify sleep while not dreaming. But that's really more on the listener than the person saying it, because it should be obvious.
>>
File: bl.jpg (11KB, 420x236px) Image search: [Google]
bl.jpg
11KB, 420x236px
Reading this made me depressed. Time to order a hooker. Yeah, that's right motherfuckers. I can get laid whenever the fuck I want to.
>>
>>18349412
Think about going to sleep. You don't exactly recall falling asleep... nor what you did aside from dreaming. so just take the dreaming out of sleep and thats what you got. perma
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.