[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

10 day meditation retreat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 10-Day-Vipa-Sit.png (1MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
10-Day-Vipa-Sit.png
1MB, 1000x1000px
I am going to a 10 day meditation retreat next week.

10+ hours of meditation per day, no speaking or eye contact with others, no electronics, nothing.

>https://www.dhamma.org/en/about/code

What should I do to prepare and to make the most of my time there?

Please post any experiences you have with retreats.
>>
File: 1478378927365.png (62KB, 500x530px) Image search: [Google]
1478378927365.png
62KB, 500x530px
>>18337923

Smuggle in Monsters
>>
How much did it cost you?
>>
I'd rather rent a remote cabin and meditate by myself. You'd have to pay me to go to a retreat with people who enjoy being seen "meditating."
>>
>>18337923
Jesus christ, fuck off of /x/ with this bullshit
>>
>>18337937

These retreats are free (or you can donate however much you want)
>>
>>18337923
>What should I do to prepare and to make the most of my time there?
Bring lube
We're waiting
>>
i went to one 2 months ago and all i can give you in terms of advice is just know that any difficulty you have with the technique is completely normal. no matter what, someone has had similar problems meditating and gotten through them, it's part of the process. the one i went to was my first ever and i didn't get the same results that most of the other first timers got from it so don't be bummed if you don't feel very different afterwords or if you don't have any interesting experiences during. also don't eat too much because you'll do "better" if you don't feel full. but they'll probably brief you on a lot of this stuff anyway.
>>
>>18337984
the people at the one i went to seemed really cool. i remember someone farted in the meditation hall and a bunch of us started laughing, we were all trying to hold it in of course but the laughing was too contagious for some. there were only a few people there who seemed really "typically spiritual" but even then that was mostly just my surface level judgments before i got to talk to them on the final day.
>>
>>18337923
Shhh..
>>
File: 1479085226900.gif (51KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1479085226900.gif
51KB, 500x376px
>>18338347
>>18338370

My friend went to one but he smuggled in extra food and an ebook reader.

Did you guys manage to more or less stay mindful during the 10 days, or was your mind always full of distracting thoughts, thinking what will you do when you are done, etc...?
>>
>>18337923
I've done a vipassana retreat once and it was a game changer.
The only thing I can recommend is to follow as closely as you can with what they instruct you in terms of the actual method of meditation.
Kinda jealous, OP. I need to do it again.
It's difficult and can be frustrating but definitely see it through and endure.
<3
>>
>>18339325

"game changer" in what way? pls explain senpai baka desu
>>
>>18339329
It's hard for me to explain. Around the seventh or eight day I had an intense experience during meditation and it shifted my perspective.
I don't feel like I should type much of it out because I don't want to influence anyone's experience. That should be something you experience privately and without expectation.
All the practice is doing is subtracting all of the stimulus from your brain and teaching you to recognize sensation.
>>
must be nice to have 10 days off to do this
>>
>>18339369

GET OUT NORMIE

(I don't have a job)
>>
>>18339030
i'm a maladaptive daydreamer (or just a victim making excuses, i'm not sure) so i had problems for periods of the retreat. but i remember i felt most present for the first 4 days then towards the middle i started thinking about all kinds of shit including what i'll do when it's over. on the 9th day i got a little better and on the 10th we could talk again and i was back to normal monkey mind for the most part. it's different for literally everyone.
>>
>>18339030
don't do what your friend did lol
>>
>>18339391

I won't lol. I want to improve as much as possible
>>
>>18337923

Vipassana is a young method developed by SN Goenka in the latter 20th century and does not stem from a "two thousand year lineage" as its teachers claim

Vipassana has never been practiced as a meditation method in traditional Buddhist or Hindu sects, and thus not refined, practiced and taught over thousands of years. Make of that what you will

>What should I do to prepare

Going on retreat is like running a marathon, you need to be accustomed to lengthy meditation if you're going to make it through. Stiff legs, soreness etc will likely become a huge issue otherwise and ruin the experience

>and to make the most of my time there?

Don't expect anything out of it, abide by the rules, be reverent and respectful to the retreat and yourself. If it gets tough, remember that many have gone where you are
>>
>>18339476

How easy it is to fuck the meditating girls there?
>>
>>18337937
You pay by looking at faggots with superiority complexes and overblown egos pretending to be enlightened meditating to postmodern hindu melodies with dumb canned lyrics.

It's fucking sickening, especially if you are actually into meditation. Do it in your home, alone and in silence.
>>
>>18339387
>or just a victim making excuses

Nice tautology.
>>
>>18337923
If this is the first time you've done something like this, then you're kinda jumping in the deep end - most people have great difficulty not speaking for just a day. You'll adapt though.

In terms of preparation, the best thing that you can do is to try to ween yourself off of TV & computers before you go (or at least cut down on them). Do anything that you can to still your mind a bit (give it less stimulus, both information and stimulants). Your brain will kick like an addict going through withdrawal when you're on the course - it's funny if you can catch your mind chewing on itself, looking for and creating problems to be solved, giving you impulses to research things on the web or check sites for updates. It's only when you go on something like a retreat that you realise just how out of control our minds are (they're like machines that have been spun up to max speed and refuse to slow down). At least that's what I found.

Other than that, eat and sleep well before you go (you don't want to arrive tired or fatigued), bring warm & comfortable clothes.. all you need really is yourself though.

Don't cheat, try hard (don't give in easy to impulses or bad habits) and ignore the naysayers here - any form of meditation or retreat is good, and kudos to you for making the effort to go... hope it gives you what you need.
>>
File: DSC_0402.jpg (1MB, 6000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0402.jpg
1MB, 6000x4000px
Newfag (to /x/, anyways) here,

Is there a good YouTube video that shows the basics of meditation, as a precursor to magic?

>pic unrelated
>>
>>18345051
Concentrate on yourself. Think about who you are, what parts of yourself contribute to the overall you. Make fun of yourself.

Have some comedy in your life. Even as your own expense. Truth of life is the only answer.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.